Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a slight correction, there is a single desert item in the sidequest desert map (and it's an item which becomes infinitely available in DLC). It's one of the squares three away from the boss, can't remember which one. Serenes probably knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Well, as far as "what will the next FE game be", I can't help but notice that Seisen no Keifu got twice as many characters as any other game did when it comes to SpotPass challenges... :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I liked an idea that was rumored to be FE13 before we actually learned a drat thing about it. The rumor went that it was going to be a sequel to FE6 and follow one of Roy's children and the next Heir of Bern. That could be cool.

I also like the idea of revisiting Jugdral. FE4 ends with Celice basically in charge of the entire continent. A new dynasty can grow out of that and there's lots of things you could explore with reviving the decimated bloodlines of the houses that suffered most in the Holy War. Being a descendant of one of the houses that was largely on the losing side of the war, such as Tordo, Dain and Neir's houses, and has born the brunt of political retribution in the decades or generations since could be pretty intriguing. Especially if they explore the idea of redeeming the avatar of Loputousu that they dropped from FE4.

You could even make the player Avatar the literal Avatar of the Dark Dragon! In FE5 you have a moment where the hero loses his original army and gets a whole new one, and ends up fighting some of his old friends (such as Marty) while he's continuing his adventure. You could do the same sort of thing either by having the Avatar working for the bad guys up until the changeover where he starts the road to redemption, or have the avatar be on the good guy's side until the Dark Dragon's influence takes control, forcing him onto the bad guys side where he must work from within to redeem himself, his people, and minimize casualties as he fights his former allies.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 30, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lotish posted:

I also like the idea of revisiting Jugdral. FE4 ends with Celice basically in charge of the entire continent. A new dynasty can grow out of that and there's lots of things you could explore with reviving the decimated bloodlines of the houses that suffered most in the Holy War. Being a descendant of one of the houses that was largely on the losing side of the war, such as Tordo, Dain and Neir's houses, and has born the brunt of political retribution in the decades or generations since, could be pretty intriguing. Especially if they explore the idea of redeeming the avatar of Loputousu that they dropped from FE4. You could even make the player Avatar the literal Avatar of the Dark Dragon!

So basically Radiant Dawn: Judgral Edition?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Didn't play it, so I forgot the similarities. Added more to the idea than what you quoted. But yeah, basically if RD took place over more time with less bloat.

VVVV: If they keep making their remakes chronologically, and skipped Gaiden, then FE4 is up next.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd much rather see an entirely new game be the successor to Awakening's engine. If they make a third game with the same engine, a FE4 remake would be neat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I was told by my local GameStop that they won't even be selling the game til the 5th... "GameStop only sells new games on Sundays and Tuesdays". I don't believe him for a second but it basically means no early Fire Emblem for me. Oh well, wasn't expecting it til next week anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If they make an FE4 remake, hopefully they actually remake it. The lovers system could serve to be less obtuse, and the maps could have some of their more annoying parts removed (trudging a bunch of mounted units trough 50 tiles of forest isn't fun)

Also, goddamn at all those initial reviews. The highest metacritic before all this was FE7's 88, and that game got plenty of 'eh, it's pretty good I guess" reviews.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Also, goddamn at all those initial reviews. The highest metacritic before all this was FE7's 88, and that game got plenty of 'eh, it's pretty good I guess" reviews.

Yeah, the game certainly seems to be a critical hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Yeah, the game certainly seems to be a critical hit.
Was that pun intentional? Please tell me it wasn't. Lie to me if you have to.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Okay, some eugenics questions (spoilered just in case), mostly about Lightning Speed:

Lucina is simply "don't pair Chrom with Sully". Owain, Inigo, and Brady can inherit it. Kjelle wants one of Gaius, Donnel or Avatar for it, as do Noire and Nah. Cynthia and Severa have access to Pegasus Knight anyway. So it seems to maximize people with it, Avatar, Donnel and Gaius are (in no particular order) locked to Sully, Tharja and Nowi...is this correct? If so this irritates me, simply because based purely on design I was going to have a male avatar paired with Cordelia. It's also annoying in that it means forgoing another Villager - should I pass down Good Growths in that case? And with a female Avatar, does this mean it's impossible to get all three of the above with Lightning Speed?

Then we get to Gerome. Is Gerome just flat-out screwed out of Lightning Speed? Same applies to Yarne and Laurent.

theshim fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 5, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play through the game however you want the first time, all the eugenics abuse and ridiculous builds are mostly only required for the super-hard DLC. Which we don't have yet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Endorph posted:

play through the game however you want the first time, all the eugenics abuse and ridiculous builds are mostly only required for the super-hard DLC. Which we don't have yet.
I plan on it and will likely go with the pairing I mentioned for the first run. Nonetheless, I'd like to make sure I've got a good grasp on the system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only maps that want you to have a very large group of lightning-speed abusers are the Ultimate Training maps, and only the hardest two really need it. I've beaten all the DLC in a file where I paired Avatar with Nah for maximized defense shenanigans. And keep in mind that if you pick a female Avatar, you give up on one of the children gaining lightning speed, but Avatar herself will have it, whereas a male one would not (and having a male Morgan gives you an extra character with quick slash + lightning speed).

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

theshim posted:

Okay, some eugenics questions (spoilered just in case), mostly about Lightning Speed:

Lucina is simply "don't pair Chrom with Sully". Wood, Azure, and Brady can inherit it. Degel wants one of Gaia, Donny or Avatar for it, as do Noire and Nah. Cynthia and Selena have access to Pegasus Knight anyway. So it seems to maximize people with it, Avatar, Donny and Gaia are (in no particular order) locked to Sully, Tharja and Nowi...is this correct? If so this irritates me, simply because based purely on design I was going to have a male avatar paired with Cordelia. It's also annoying in that it means forgoing another Villager - should I pass down Good Growths in that case? And with a female Avatar, does this mean it's impossible to get all three of the above with Lightning Speed?

Then we get to Jerome. Is Jerome just flat-out screwed out of Lightning Speed? Same applies to Chambray and Loran.

I have been thoroughly researching this critical topic as well, and you have come to the same conclusions I have.

cheetah7071 posted:

And keep in mind that if you pick a female Avatar, you give up on one of the children gaining lightning speed, but Avatar herself will have it, whereas a male one would not (and having a male Morgan gives you an extra character with quick slash + lightning speed).

I am so excited for my avatar to produce a son-Morgan with Lightning Speed who will go on to pick up Quick Slash. Very, very excited.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

theshim posted:

It's also annoying in that it means forgoing another Villager - should I pass down Good Growths in that case? And with a female Avatar, does this mean it's impossible to get all three of the above with Lightning Speed?

Then we get to Jerome. Is Jerome just flat-out screwed out of Lightning Speed? Same applies to Chambray and Loran.

I wouldn't fret too much about losing extra Villagers. The class itself is kinda poo poo, and Good Growths is its only really good skill. Most of his other good stuff is in the non-gender exclusive Merc tree, so unless you really want a daughter with Counter (or Strength Cry for a crybot, I guess), there's not much reason to have him pass anything but Good Growths.

And yeah, those three kids can never get Lightning Speed.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Huh, turns out 8-4 did the localization instead of Treehouse (Though they supervised it):

Mark MacDonald posted:

I can confirm now 8-4 actually did do the full localization, under the watchful eye (as always) of the Treehouse (specifically the man, the myth, the legend: Rich Amtower). I can't lie -- we worked -really- hard on it and are super-proud of how it turned out, really hope all you guys and gals enjoy it...

BTW, you might have seen us mention it on Twitter but we did an interview/studio visit with the Awakening developers at Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, including some fan questions, that should go up someplace soon-ish. "Please look forward to it," as they say ;)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd much rather see an entirely new game be the successor to Awakening's engine.

Absolutely. I am so loving sick of Marth and Ike, and don't want anyone else revisited for a while either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know when Nintendo updates their store? It would be neat if I could start downloading before I left for work.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Ughhh it seems none of my local Gamestops have it. And some even said 'Tuesday'. This wait is going to be interminable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Momomo posted:

so loving sick of Ike

Heretic. :colbert:

Seriously though - I'd love to see some remakes that aren't Marth-related. I'd be fine with Tellius or Magvel at this point - maybe Jugdral.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The Escapist has a review of Awakening up now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10165-Fire-Emblem-Awakening-Review

5/5.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I...I'm happy for the good score, but this reads like it was written by somebody with 8th grade-level literacy. :psyduck: gamesjournalism.txt I guess?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ughhh it seems none of my local Gamestops have it. And some even said 'Tuesday'. This wait is going to be interminable.
My Gamestop keeps saying the 5th when the posters in their own goddamn store say 2.4.13.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I...I'm happy for the good score, but this reads like it was written by somebody with 8th grade-level literacy. :psyduck: gamesjournalism.txt I guess?

Sadly, that's pretty much the standard for The Escapist. Unless it's a column written by one of their featured people (Yahtzee, whoever, you get the idea) the writing level tends to be pretty low-to-mid quality as a whole.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nakar posted:

My Gamestop keeps saying the 5th when the posters in their own goddamn store say 2.4.13.

Truly we are suffering the whims of the RNG God.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

yeah, one clerk told me Tuesday because they don't get shipments on Sunday, and there's no guarantee they will get it on Monday, since their standing orders via FedEX/UPS come in on Tues and Thurs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I can't find a clear conversion from the most recent scale scores to grade level, but it was famously reported in 1992 that 8th grade literacy is the average for the nation, and it's allegedly the target for newspaper literacy. So it's more just journalism.txt

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

TurnipFritter posted:

Truly we are suffering the whims of the RNG God.

Off by one error.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You know, if they had actual children writing reviews at the Escapist I'd bet they'd be a lot more successful.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Just picked up an XL and a copy of the game (it's good to be :canada:). What kind of customization do you get for Avatar? Is it like FE12?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Just picked up an XL and a copy of the game (it's good to be :canada:). What kind of customization do you get for Avatar? Is it like FE12?

You pick your face, your hair, your gender and your build. Your build determines your hair style choices. You begin the game as a Tactician but at level 10 can reclass to any gender-specific class you want.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Heavy neutrino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfmFibF_5I

Basically you get a choice of gender, size of the avatar, a couple faces, a couple hair styles/colors, a choice of three voices, and your units best and worst stat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

For cosmetic customization you select height, face, hair style, hair color, and one of three voices. Gameplay customization involves selecting two stats, one in which the character is strong in (So they get a boost to base stats and growth rates to it and some related stats) and some you're weak in (In which you get a penalty). The Avatar has their own unique class that uses Swords and Tomes, but can also be nearly any other class in the game with reclassing. The only classes the Avatar can't are a few special classes like Lord and the gender exclusive classes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, is there a list of the voice actors for the male and female avatars? I know people have mentioned them off and on throughout the thread, but just a straight up list would be handy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know when Nintendo updates their store? It would be neat if I could start downloading before I left for work.

Retail releases go up at midnight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Fisher King posted:

So, is there a list of the voice actors for the male and female avatars? I know people have mentioned them off and on throughout the thread, but just a straight up list would be handy.
We don't have a list of VAs for anyone yet. There have been guesses but I don't think any official confirmation on anybody except Chrom being Troy Baker, and I've actually seen some debate on how verified that one is. Any 'list' would just be guess work.

That said there's no way on Earth Liz's VA isn't Kate Higgins.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, I was thinking of making my Avatar +Magic and -HP, I was debating speed, but I'm sure I'd want my guy to cover more ground, and since I'm planning for her to be a mage she'll be attacking from afar most of the time anyhow. How much of a difference does it make in the long run, and should I consider taking a negative in another stat?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, I was thinking of making my Avatar +Magic and -HP, I was debating speed, but I'm sure I'd want my guy to cover more ground, and since I'm planning for her to be a mage she'll be attacking from afar most of the time anyhow. How much of a difference does it make in the long run, and should I consider taking a negative in another stat?

Speed doesn't affect how much you can move, it just determines if you can attack more than once during your turn. HP as a flaw lowers HP by a lot and defense and resistance by a bit also, so you'd be pretty squishy but potentially do a lot of damage. It's definitely not a bad build though so just pick whatever you like, there's really no bad stats to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Fisher King posted:

I found this but I'm not sure if it's right:
Males (Travis Willingham, Dave Wittenberg, Tony Oliver, James Arnold Taylor)
Females (Amanda Winn Lee, Kate Higgins, Jennifer Hale, Barbara Goodson)

I do know at the very least Jennifer Hale is in fact one of the voices of the female My Unit. Between that and the fact that only women get an eyepatch option, I think I have to roll up a lady.

• Locked thread