Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sba posted:

She can't wear pink laces anymore because USA Hockey Officials have to use white laced skates.

Oh yeah I forgot about the reffing thing.

I'm surprised they allow the use of skates that arent 10 year old Bauer Supremes that are all black.

Man black holders were a bad idea, cant believe they were actually 'in style'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

It's the net's equivalent of no goalie showed up (perhaps due to chrome visors).

Pic was during our 3v3 league that we ran for a season, and a few times we only had 3 goalies show up instead of 4 (we ran 2 3v3 games at a time).

The rule was that you had to bank the puck off the boards behind the downed net and in.

That was a lot harder than it seemed like it should be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

Pic was during our 3v3 league that we ran for a season, and a few times we only had 3 goalies show up instead of 4 (we ran 2 3v3 games at a time).

The rule was that you had to bank the puck off the boards behind the downed net and in.

That was a lot harder than it seemed like it should be.

When the guys at my rink tip the net like that, the rule is it's only a goal when the puck hits the netting that would normally be the top of the net. Considering the average skill of the guys who play, this is tougher than it sounds.. either it's some hotshot who can't control his lift and sends it right over the top, or it's someone like me who can't get the puck off the ice and it hits the crossbar.

:downs:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

When the guys at my rink tip the net like that, the rule is it's only a goal when the puck hits the netting that would normally be the top of the net. Considering the average skill of the guys who play, this is tougher than it sounds.. either it's some hotshot who can't control his lift and sends it right over the top, or it's someone like me who can't get the puck off the ice and it hits the crossbar.

:downs:

Played both "net" and "rebound" style. Rebound really is a lot harder than it sounds....

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My hockey gear just got dropped off by the airline! I have a game in 3 hours so this is nice timing.

Apparently while I found a way home from Lake Placid through Albany > Newark > Chicago > Calgary > Saskatoon over the course of two days, my bags took 4 days and went from Chicago to Denver to Saskatoon instead.

The box of Cocoa Puffs I stuffed in there is mangled but intact! :woop::woop::woop:

I forgot how sweet these jerseys are. Hello new default rink jersey.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

I forgot how sweet these jerseys are. Hello new default rink jersey.

Just wait until you get to explain what it's from.
"Yeah, they're designed after my Internet hockey team's jerseys."

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bradf0rd posted:

Just wait until you get to explain what it's from.
"Yeah, they're designed after my Internet hockey team's jerseys."
You guys really should've gone with our sweet pink ones though.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

JetsGuy posted:

I seriously don't understand people who get all upset over what gear people have.

Agreed 100%, but it certainly makes for effortless trolling. I spent ~12usd and I'm positive I'm going to make most if not the entire other team irate enough to draw a bunch of penalties. It boggles the mind. Stuff gets replaced when it wears out or I find a deal I can't pass on. I'll admit to be a little bit of an equipment barbie but some guys act like you can't even skate on anything that didn't cost a car payment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got my jerseys for the instructional league this week, I am the world's newest #4. :v:

(wasn't picked, was assigned)

I also have my first game on Sunday, won't find out my position until 10 minutes before the game!

So what stupid things do first time players do in their first game that I should try to avoid doing? :ohdear:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

So what stupid things do first time players do in their first game that I should try to avoid doing? :ohdear:

Falling onto the ice or back into the bench during a line change.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pfft. Only way to get off the ice is head first over the boards.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Pfft. Only way to get off the ice is head first over the boards.

This is my preferred technique when I'm rushing to the bench for a delayed penalty and my team has opted to ignore me yelling at the bench.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

First time players almost universally wave their sticks around like magic wands, particularly when they're skating really hard. The blade of your stick should pretty much never go above waist level.

ever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

First time players almost universally wave their sticks around like magic wands, particularly when they're skating really hard. The blade of your stick should pretty much never go above waist level.

ever.

"That stick is of no use if it's not on the ice. Skate a lap!"

My morning at 5am growing up when I didn't do what you said.

xzzy, congrats man, you're going to have so much fun no matter where you play. What fun would it be if we told you the mistakes first timers make without you making them yourself? Just kidding. Remember to take off your soakers though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

I got my jerseys for the instructional league this week, I am the world's newest #4. :v:

(wasn't picked, was assigned)

I also have my first game on Sunday, won't find out my position until 10 minutes before the game!

Pay attention to staying onside.
Don't chase the puck defensively as a forward.
Keep your shifts reasonably short.
Cup yes, soakers no.
Pay attention on the bench so you know when it's your turn to go on.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

My best advice is simply not to panic when you get the puck or try to swat it away like its a hot potato. You almost always have more time on the puck than you think you do so get your head up, spot your pass and give a good, hard pass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not my first time on skates. :v:

I know how to avoid offsides and hold on to the puck.. I was thinking more along the lines of not falling over the boards on a line change.

Thufir posted:

Pay attention on the bench so you know when it's your turn to go on.

Coach actually told us the other day that the line change is the responsibility of the guy coming off the ice. Argument was that we're all a bunch of newbie idiots, and probably not listening for a line change. So we were told to holler the name of our replacement as we approach the bench, increases the odds of snapping a guy out of his stupor.

Probably not necessary for people who have played organized games before but it seems logical for now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Took a full slap shot off the ankle with four minutes left in a game we were losing by six. Thanks, dude, you totally needed to try to get that shot through me from the point.

And I totally needed to put you in to the boards as we pursued the ensuing loose puck.

So instead of coming home to have a beer and relax on XBox, I am taking an NSAID and going to bed. Following one of the best weekends ever, this entire week has been loving miserable. Goddamn.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Took a full slap shot off the ankle with four minutes left in a game we were losing by six. Thanks, dude, you totally needed to try to get that shot through me from the point.

And I totally needed to put you in to the boards as we pursued the ensuing loose puck.

So instead of coming home to have a beer and relax on XBox, I am taking an NSAID and going to bed. Following one of the best weekends ever, this entire week has been loving miserable. Goddamn.

I guess we need to head back ASAP! :v:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Not hockey, but I play a shitload of Broomball because I'm a dink and I'm a man without a thread. Scored the tying goal with 3 minutes left in a 1-0 game on a penalty shot and, unbeknownst to me, someone was video taping, so I felt obligated to post this poo poo

hashtag yakupoving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zIIx_te38

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Not hockey, but I play a shitload of Broomball because I'm a dink and I'm a man without a thread. Scored the tying goal with 3 minutes left in a 1-0 game on a penalty shot and, unbeknownst to me, someone was video taping, so I felt obligated to post this poo poo

hashtag yakupoving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zIIx_te38

Wait thats a thing?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^broomball?

I only remember broomball from being an IM sport in college, no idea it existed otherwise.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Topoisomerase posted:

^^broomball?

I only remember broomball from being an IM sport in college, no idea it existed otherwise.

Thats what I mean, I thought it was something that middleschool kids played in the middle of the night after all the hockey practices were over.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

I took one off the inside/back of my calf. It finally bruised and turned yellow yesterday and today. But just this morning my ankle turned into a cankle because of how swollen it turned. I think I have diabetes or I am several months pregnant.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Our beginner's team had the first practice not supervised by a former pro. Some guy that knew some guy was teaching us. Was also at some half indoor/outdoor rink I've never known about, that is also on a dead end residential road.

Anyway, it took me about 5 minutes to open the door to the ice. Many of our guys were 'trapped' in the benches when we took breaks because we also couldn't open those doors either. A few brave souls took the leap onto the ice, but the rest of us opted just not to close the door completely.

During the 4 on 4 play it was pretty much some guy begging to be line changed and the guy on the bench spending 5 minutes just trying to open the door.

Also my new hockey bag is hilariously too big and I am short and I would like tips on how to make it smaller and carrying it places without knocking everything over in my path.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Should have gotten a wheelie bag :colbert:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Doctor Butts posted:

Our beginner's team had the first practice not supervised by a former pro. Some guy that knew some guy was teaching us. Was also at some half indoor/outdoor rink I've never known about, that is also on a dead end residential road.

Anyway, it took me about 5 minutes to open the door to the ice. Many of our guys were 'trapped' in the benches when we took breaks because we also couldn't open those doors either. A few brave souls took the leap onto the ice, but the rest of us opted just not to close the door completely.

During the 4 on 4 play it was pretty much some guy begging to be line changed and the guy on the bench spending 5 minutes just trying to open the door.

Also my new hockey bag is hilariously too big and I am short and I would like tips on how to make it smaller and carrying it places without knocking everything over in my path.

Doors can get stuck sometimes. It's a pain. I definitely recommend getting used to climbing over the boards.

Bags come in different sizes... If yours is that much too big you might want to look into getting an intermediate. Or get a backpack bag. I have the opposite problem. I'm 6'3" and it's hard finding a bag that will comfortably fit everything. It's about the only thing I miss from playing inline... being able to keep everything strapped to my back like a pack animal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm thinking when my current bag wears out I'm gonna get one of those backpack bags. Everyone that has one says they love the poo poo out of it.. mostly because they no longer get caught on doors.

Wheel bags are cool, until the wheels wear out or break.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

After using my smaller travel-ish bag for the weekend, I put my gear into my wheelie bag for my game last night and while carrying it out of the apartment I knocked over just about everything in my path.

Tempted to go back to small bag. Everything still fits great, it's just lacking a pocket on the end for tape/change of clothes/soap/etc.

Butts do you want to buy a gently used wheelie bag?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

D C posted:

Thats what I mean, I thought it was something that middleschool kids played in the middle of the night after all the hockey practices were over.

https://www.usabroomball.com

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
My rink has broomball, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Anyway, I always leap over the boards whether going on or coming off. gently caress using the gate. It's almost always clogged up anyway.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

My rink has broomball, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Anyway, I always leap over the boards whether going on or coming off. gently caress using the gate. It's almost always clogged up anyway.

Yup, the gate is for tired lazy guys getting off the ice.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Doctor Butts posted:

Don't know if your doors are like our doors, but with our doors, they can kidna jam if you grab the handle and try to open them that way. The key was to take a finger and put it underneath the bar as far away from the fulcrum as possible and then lift like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the gently caress kind of doors do you guys have to where it takes more than a half-second to open it up? Ours you just reach down and yank up on the handle. Most of the time, the guys on the bench will open it for you anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I've seen, the problem with the latches is that they get used a billion times and the metal wears out. Rinks being the cheap motherfuckers that they are never maintain these latches, so eventually they start to stick or freeze up completely.

Which means you better get good at climbing over the boards pretty fast.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

From what I've seen, the problem with the latches is that they get used a billion times and the metal wears out. Rinks being the cheap motherfuckers that they are never maintain these latches, so eventually they start to stick or freeze up completely.

Which means you better get good at climbing over the boards pretty fast.

Yeah, pretty much. One of the rinks I skate at the latches are so ancient that you have to flip the blade of your stick under it and pull it up because the handle doesn't engage anymore. It sucks.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

D C posted:

Yup, the gate is for tired lazy guys getting off the ice.

Pfft...I'm too lazy to open the gate. Ain't nobody got time for that!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 1, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

Pfft...I'm too lazy to open the gate. Ain't nobody got time for that!

jump boards every day. :smug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Always go over the boards to get on the ice, but at some rinks the boards are kinda high for me to get over to get off the ice, especially towards the end of the game, and then I'm all DOOR DOOR PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR to get back on the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
We've got some older rinks where you have to put your foot on the bench behind you and launch yourself over the boards. I'm 6'3" and even I don't jump over those on the way back in.

Also we have one rink where you come in the door and go up 2! steps to the bench. When you hop the boards onto the ice you can listen to the wind whistle past your ears for a second.

I also had a really hard time finding a hockey bag that would fit my gear well. I ended up with a EQ50 bag and it's super huge. I just took the skate bag right off, and since it doesn't have a frame on it like a wheelie bag you can fit through single doors easy.