Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

lord funk posted:

asked a class of college students today if they knew who mr. wizard was. no one raised their hand.

that makes sense, mr. wizard was before their time

the sad part is that I don't think they have an equivalent to mr. wizard, or even what bill nye/beakman did back in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

ahmeni posted:

did anyone mention the part with the tribe that eats literal poo poo
because I'm at that point and that seems like the kind of thing I really should have been warned about first

oh yeah, that part

I don't know where banks was going with that part, but thankfully that's the worst of it, the rest is better

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Deacon of Delicious posted:

the sad part is that I don't think they have an equivalent to mr. wizard, or even what bill nye/beakman did back in the 90s

im literally that demographic and i know what bill nye is cmon even my 12 year old sister does

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the closest we've got are the mythbusters but they aren't aimed at kids

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

yeah one of them said they had bill nye.

yospos themed mr. wizard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90T0g9T_6UE

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

nigga crab pollock posted:

im literally that demographic and i know what bill nye is cmon even my 12 year old sister does

ok, yes he still does science stuff, but not like he was on his show back in the 90s. my point was where are the science for kids growing up 2000ish-present! i am just a little bummed out there is not more science

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

ok, yes he still does science stuff, but not like he was on his show back in the 90s. my point was where are the science for kids growing up 2000ish-present! i am just a little bummed out there is not more science

teach the controversy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

was it bill nye who got booed in texas for saying that the light of the moon was reflected sunlight and not the benevolent glory of jesus himself

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

was it bill nye who got booed in texas for saying that the light of the moon was reflected sunlight and not the benevolent glory of jesus himself

yup

quote:

The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights — the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

:stonk:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

lord funk posted:

yeah one of them said they had bill nye.

yospos themed mr. wizard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90T0g9T_6UE

yospos themed bill nye:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHOVRhN5yTA

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

lol that's one of the worst things I've read on the Internet

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

In 2010, 40% of Americans still believed in creationism which is fairly loving mind-boggling.

Also two or three months ago I was talking to this girl a buddy of mine brought on a group vacation, and when I told her I had taken a class on vertebrate evolution she started asking all these questions about whether I really believed in evolution and how plausible it is that we could go from single cells to humans at all. She was literally the first person I've ever interacted with that doubted evolution and I was a lil too stunned to try to answer her

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Ugh I remember being accosted by two creationists on a bus one time; they busted out the "how could something like the human eye possibly evolve?" argument and I was actually kind of looking forward to discussing it because I happened to have just read some article about the evolution of the eye and how all the intermediate forms are actually found in nature &c. Of course when I started talking about it and they realized that I actually had a high-school level understanding of biology, they tried switching tracks and telling me about how god loves me so much that, from what I understand, he hates everything that I do (except for telling him that he's great).

I feel all /r/atheism just telling this story but I mean gently caress, how are people so stupid. There's exabytes of freely available information about every subject imaginable that you can access instantly from the comfort of your own home but they prefer to stay ignorant? I don't get it.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I feel all /r/atheism just telling this story but I mean gently caress, how are people so stupid. There's exabytes of freely available information about every subject imaginable that you can access instantly from the comfort of your own home but they prefer to stay ignorant? I don't get it.

cuz stories are fun. which is what this thread is about

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
the best part of Origin of Species was how loving clueless Darwin was about DNA, something I don't think even the hardest core fundie would call bullshit and yet there's your way children inherit traits and bunches of other poo poo that had ya stumped Chuck

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

And also the guy who figured out genetics was a monk.

Although who else would have the time and patience to crossbreed pea plants for 30 years.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LooseChanj posted:

the best part of Origin of Species was how loving clueless Darwin was about DNA, something I don't think even the hardest core fundie would call bullshit and yet there's your way children inherit traits and bunches of other poo poo that had ya stumped Chuck
yo i'm reading wikipedia right now and the idea that traits would be encoded in a big-rear end molecule didn't happen until like forty years after darwin died

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

And also the guy who figured out genetics was a monk.

Although who else would have the time and patience to crossbreed pea plants for 30 years.

yeah i started "a canticle for liebowitz" and those monks, man, they don't have much free time but it is spread out over decades

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yo i'm reading wikipedia right now and the idea that traits would be encoded in a big-rear end molecule didn't happen until like forty years after darwin died

Speaking of Evolution/DNA, I specially like the part of the story where a woman does most of the work to figure the structure of DNA and 2 guys take pretty much all the credit for it.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

ilikelettuce posted:

Speaking of Evolution/DNA, I specially like the part of the story where a woman does most of the work to figure the structure of DNA and 2 guys take pretty much all the credit for it.

yo I just learned about that in my biology class last semester. I was p mad

Genetics is loving awesome and can't wait to learn more about it

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

ilikelettuce posted:

Yeah, and then one of guys who got the credited feels totally vindicated to go around the world saying how black people are simple minded.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

ilikelettuce posted:

learned about this last year. my professor brought her up all the time and really hated the 2 guys. he's met one of them but i forget which

she would have gotten a lot more recognition if it was possible for people to receive posthumous Nobel prizes. since they can't she wasn't even able to be nominated so no one even heard of her until years later

crick at least admitted to it later, watson was a huge poo poo instead

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
There's a great documentary (with Attenborough I think) called "What Darwin Didn't Know", which is pretty much entirely about all of the stuff that we've found since Origin that backs up Darwin's ideas. It's fantastic, was made for that Darwin Day thing a few years ago.

Also, people need to check out "Inside Nature's Giants", which is giant animal autopsies combined with explanations for why (for example) the nerve that runs from a giraffe's brain to its larynx goes all the way down its neck, around the heart, and back up the neck. Joy Reidenberg is also a fantastic science presenter and she needs her own tv show.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Heresiarch posted:

Also, people need to check out "Inside Nature's Giants", which is giant animal autopsies combined with explanations for why (for example) the nerve that runs from a giraffe's brain to its larynx goes all the way down its neck, around the heart, and back up the neck. Joy Reidenberg is also a fantastic science presenter and she needs her own tv show.

i love this show. i can't think of any other scientific show that goes into as much specifics. the giraffe has a really idiosyncratic biology

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Also see if you can get the UK version of the show, which I think is a channel 4 production. It was shown on some American cable network too, but it's edited down a bit.

I would post the greatest screenshot on the history of television, but I think the mods would object to a jpeg of the kangaroo's triple vagina.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Heresiarch posted:

Also see if you can get the UK version of the show, which I think is a channel 4 production. It was shown on some American cable network too, but it's edited down a bit.

I would post the greatest screenshot on the history of television, but I think the mods would object to a jpeg of the kangaroo's triple vagina.

the whole uk version is on youtube

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

oh yeah, that part

I don't know where banks was going with that part, but thankfully that's the worst of it, the rest is better

the rest was okay
starting player of games now, hope it's good

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

@TNG_S8:

Ghosts of long-dead crewmen harass Troi. Riker's fight with a lizard alien turns romantic, leading to sensual massaging and heavy petting.

Picard must relax for a week while his new heart is delivered. GEORDI AND WORF CONTRACT A RARE SCREAMING DISEASE.

Emotional awareness threatens the collective after the Borg assimilate Troi. Geordi & Data's elaborate musical numbers upset Worf.

Worf unwillingly participates in his niece's coming-of-age human hunt. Riker has misplaced his chest comb and it's getting bad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's a demographic thing. most creationists are olds and there is a lot of olds in murka.

also i watched the total recall remake today and it was really really eh. not even bad just completely forgettable.

well actually there were some bad things about it like the plot being full of holes (no psychics in this version so why bother with making quaid at all, cohaagen setting up "The Resistance" as an excuse to kick everyone out of "The Colony" and then not even mentioning it when he invades) and hinging on retarded science (gravity in free fall, toxic and breathable atmospheres staying neatly separated because there's no wind in the future). i couldn't tell how good the special effects were because everything looked like a goddamn video game anyway (when you're tired of ripping off blade runner, go for minority report!) and might as well have been one. destroying the elevator was completely bullshit. yeah chopping the world in half was a good thing because the elevator was built by TEH VILLAN OH NOEZ. "symbol of oppression" my rear end. also the piano scene was literally the only part of the movie that had any emotional resonance with me because the characters were so unidimensional and generic that i couldn't even care the rest of the time.

i know that the moron science and single-trait characters were even worse in the original movie but goddamn it wasn't SERIOUS about them. the remake is just "dramatic" as hell when people aren't punching each other and it's so much hot air that you could lift like five balloons with it.

on second thought this movie was pretty bad.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 31, 2013

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

I didn't even manage to finish it. Got about halfway through, thought to myself "wow, I'm not enjoying this movie at all" and turned it off. I don't know how they could so entirely fail at making it entertaining. It's not like anyone even expected it to be good, per se, but there are plenty of bad movies that are still fun to watch.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

they should make a valis adaptation starring mark wahlberg as horselover fat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh man i'm so oppressed with my job at the robot factory that has to be on the other side of the world for some reason despite habitable space being a premium there and my commute uses superscale engineering to make passing beside the planet's core no different than a train ride so i hate it as a symbol of said oppression

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the biggest plot hole is that australia is a valuable place worth invading

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I didn't even manage to finish it. Got about halfway through, thought to myself "wow, I'm not enjoying this movie at all" and turned it off.
oh poo poo sorry for spoiling the movie. pretend that everything that i said about invasions and elevator explosions had black bars over it so you couldn't read it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
boba fett mustve felt pretty weird running around a galaxy where most of the space cops and space soldiers were clones of his dad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Al! posted:

boba fett mustve felt pretty weird running around a galaxy where most of the space cops and space soldiers were clones of his dad
he was a clone of his dad too so it would have been even weirder than just that.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Al! posted:

i love how they don't even address the moral implications of manufacturing fuckloads of people to blow poo poo up, nor do they address the complete meaninglessness of the clone wars due to the pawns being literal numbers and robots

like who cares really, if you're a loving moisture farmer or some poo poo does it matter that LX-9382 shot the poo poo out of fett.jango65498?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MancXVI posted:

i love how they don't even address the moral implications of manufacturing fuckloads of people to blow poo poo up, nor do they address the complete meaninglessness of the clone wars due to the pawns being literal numbers and robots

like who cares really, if you're a loving moisture farmer or some poo poo does it matter that LX-9382 shot the poo poo out of fett.jango65498?

whoa a 90-minute toy commercial doesn't cover the moral implications of galactic war

tell me more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

whoa a 90-minute toy commercial doesn't cover the moral implications of galactic war

tell me more

if your toy commercials don't have massive civilian casualties and war crimes then i don't know what to tell you

• Locked thread