Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TurnipFritter posted:

New SMT4 update: If you get wiped out you can spend Play Coins to revive the party and try again. You can also use whatever the ingame currency is, but honestly you'd probably be better off saving that for actually buying stuff in the game. I haven't seen the scans so I'm not entirely sure if you just get to retry the battle or if you get kicked back to a healing spot or a save point or what.

e:Any information at this point what system will govern the play coin supply? Didn't some of the recent Persona portable releases have a similar system at lower difficulties?I don't know much about the 3DS.

I'm not averse to the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Persona they give you some options:

Very Hard: Game over you just reload, same as other games
Easy-Hard: if you die you can restart at the same floor. On bosses this is effectively an instant retry, throughout dungeons this means you won't lose TOO much but it's still a big setback sometimes. You can save on every floor anyway so it's just cutting a step out.
Very Easy: If you die on any fight you can instantly retry that fight

It's unlimited too.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TurnipFritter posted:

New SMT4 update: If you get wiped out you can spend Play Coins to revive the party and try again.

Oh sweet, I've finally got a use for those 300 Play Coins that became worthless the minute I completed the last Street Pass puzzle.

Rinkles posted:

e:Any information at this point what system will govern the play coin supply? Didn't some of the recent Persona portable releases have a similar system at lower difficulties?I don't know much about the 3DS.

I'm not averse to the idea.

I'm not sure if that edit is meant to be a "nevermind, I looked it up" or not, so I'll go ahead and explain what Play Coins are.

The 3DS has a built-in pedometer. For every 100 steps you take, you get 1 Play Coin. You can earn up to 10 Play Coins in a day and you can hold up to 300 Play Coins at a time. SMT4 is probably the only game I've heard of that uses these for anything remotely meaningful.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Oh sweet, I've finally got a use for those 300 Play Coins that became worthless the minute I completed the last Street Pass puzzle.

I'm not sure if that edit is meant to be a "nevermind, I looked it up" or not, so I'll go ahead and explain what Play Coins are.

The 3DS has a built-in pedometer. For every 100 steps you take, you get 1 Play Coin. You can earn up to 10 Play Coins in a day and you can hold up to 300 Play Coins at a time. SMT4 is probably the only game I've heard of that uses these for anything remotely meaningful.

Gonna go exercise to revive my party

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gonna go exercise to revive my party

I put mine on my passenger's seat and drove for ten minutes and it was max'd. Alternatively - strap your 3DS to a pet or sibling.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

You can go to the hardware store and put it in the paint mixer for a minute.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

You can go to the hardware store and put it in the paint mixer for a minute.

I drive about 90 minutes every day so I think I'd prefer that to destroying my 3DS :I

We're not seeing SMT4 for a while anyway right? There's like a 6-9 month turnaround from Japan to US Atlus games and we don't even have a JP release date.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
They should do what Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver or whatever did with their pedometer and let you take your demons out on walkies. I want to level up a Mizuchi or something by walking him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'd rather they didn't so we don't hear stories of people walking around and showing off their strong Maras.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I'd rather they didn't so we don't hear stories of people walking around and showing off their strong Maras.

You don't have to walk. Just jam Mara into the pedometer, grasp it firmly in your hand, and then just jerk it around for a while.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeeep just straight up reusing that Charon artwork from 1995.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeeep just straight up reusing that Charon artwork from 1995.

Now that I think of it, they're straight up reusing the Charon gimmick from the original MT.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
The mishmash of artwork/styles does seem pretty odd/kind of lazy.

Maybe it'll work. :shrug:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

The mishmash of artwork/styles does seem pretty odd/kind of lazy.

It's incredibly lazy, and it'd be less annoying if this wasn't the first new game in ten years. I mean hell, at least get Doi to trace over that poo poo.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Maybe it'll work. :shrug:

Gaze upon this train wreck of a screen:

Oh well, maybe they'll do better when they port it to the Wii U in 2015.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Anyone want to compare and contrast Persona 2 and Persona 3 for me? I can't afford a Vita right now and Persona 4 isn't on PSP :(

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Mr. Jive posted:

Anyone want to compare and contrast Persona 2 and Persona 3 for me? I can't afford a Vita right now and Persona 4 isn't on PSP :(

They're really different. Persona 2 is a more traditional RPG, where you go around town and then go to dungeons and do dungeons stuff/boss fights. It also has a kind of slow battle system. Persona 3 is on a calendar and the majority of gameplay is basically dating sim, with dungeons and boss fights interspersed.

Edit: The battle system in Persona 2 is also kind of weird and might be hard to get a handle on for a while, and Persona 3 has a more "normal" turn-based battle system.

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 31, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They really couldn't be more different. Gameplay-wise, Persona 2 is more of a traditional JRPG with random battles and all that fun junk. You equip personas on your characters to cast spells, with the gimmick being that you have to reorder your attack order to try to reel off fusion spells. Demon negotiating is back and is used to gather tarot cards which you then use to purchase new personas. It's a relatively old fashioned 90's JRPG battle system which feels archaic to some people.

Persona 3 features a simplified version of the press-turn system. You get extra turns for hitting weaknesses, though don't lose turns for doing the opposite like in the PT system. Only your main character can change personas, and there are no random battles although the dungeon's floor pattern is randomly generated. Assuming you're playing P3P, you can control your party members. There are some other stuff like knocking down enemies to utilize all-out-attacks, but that's the gist of it.

Outside of battle, one of the central aspects of Persona 2 is that you have to spread rumors which then become true. These can do all sorts of things, from changing weapon prices to accomplishing plot-related events. The rest of the game plays out in a pretty traditional linear JRPG fashion. Persona 3's main claim to fame for non-battle events is pretty significant: Social Links. Basically you have an entire calender year, and doing certain events takes up time. You literally go to school every day and schedule stuff to do each day, the main attraction being leveling up your friendships with various people. You do this to power up your personas during persona fusions, which is quite important.

Plot-wise, Persona 3's male route is pretty rough and we argue about it all the time. I am definitely not a fan, though apparently the female route in P3P is written better. Persona 2 though...wow. One of the best JRPG plots I've experienced, easily. Hopefully you are able to play both halves of the duology, which means playing Eternal Punishment on the PS1.

E: Short version is that P2 has a better plot/cast, but the gameplay is a little rough. The battle system is kind of simple in P3, but there is a lot of interesting new mechanics outside of battle that make the game feel like a "high school life simulator", which was pretty neat for its time. I don't care for the P3 plot/cast, but plenty of other people do so don't let that necessarily dissuade you.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 31, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Ripper is back in the mix for SMT4, y'all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hopefully he doesn't get left behind for another decade unlike his two lamer brothers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

He's just too edgy to be a mainstay. If only he was cooler or hotter he could be a real mascot.

Devil Survivor's Beldr is in the game too (though now they're actually spelling it Baldr).

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Hopefully he doesn't get left behind for another decade unlike his two lamer brothers.

He's a sharp Jack, yeah, but he's not hot, he's not cool, he's not a king, and he certainly ain't ace. So what's he got?

I'll tell you what he's got.

He's got his stabs. But he's a generous Jack, yeah? He's real gentlemanly. So he'll share 'em with you. He'll share his stabs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RentCavalier posted:

He's a sharp Jack, yeah, but he's not hot, he's not cool, he's not a king, and he certainly ain't ace. So what's he got?

I'll tell you what he's got.

He's got his stabs. But he's a generous Jack, yeah? He's real gentlemanly. So he'll share 'em with you. He'll share his stabs.
You could say that it's his way of saying...hello?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TurnipFritter posted:

Devil Survivor's Beldr is in the game too (though now they're actually spelling it Baldr).

Are they going to keep the whole Devil's Fuge thing? I'd be mildly annoyed if the only way I could kill Baldr is with a piece of mistletoe that only the main character can use for some arbitrary reason :argh:. At the very least, let us pass the drat thing to the rest of the party!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Late to the whole 'they copped out with Kanji/Naoto' bits in P4, but I was also expecting Daisuke's SL to be him coming out, what with the whole 'never dating girls anymore' kinda bit, but then, nope, he was just stinging from a previous rejection.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Are they going to keep the whole Devil's Fuge thing? I'd be mildly annoyed if the only way I could kill Baldr is with a piece of mistletoe that only the main character can use for some arbitrary reason :argh:. At the very least, let us pass the drat thing to the rest of the party!

He's on the party screen as an ally, so probably not. It'd be pretty ridiculous to have an ally that was basically invincible to everything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SMT games always take old bosses and make them demons/persona. Half the high level guys in Persona were bosses.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Did I imagine it, or is there a SMT IV scan that shows that demonicas are in? If they are, surely that confirms some seriously weird time travel/parallel dimensions stuff is going on?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Did I imagine it, or is there a SMT IV scan that shows that demonicas are in? If they are, surely that confirms some seriously weird time travel/parallel dimensions stuff is going on?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cheers! That's awesome, but really weird from the lore perspective. Then again, I don't even pretend to understand how the mainline SMT games fit together canon wise anyway (apart from the fact that 2 is clearly a sequel to 1).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The resident SMT buffs will have to confirm, but I don't think there's ever been that explicit a connection between mainline SMT entries. Since the demonica is featured in previews, I doubt it's just a minor cameo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wouldn't rule out it being a minor cameo. Yukiko was in half of the P3P previews, wasn't she?

SMT2 was a direct sequel to 1, obviously. If... was an alternate sequel to 1, based off of a different ending. Other than that, I don't think there are any direct or implied connections.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

The resident SMT buffs will have to confirm, but I don't think there's ever been that explicit a connection between mainline SMT entries. Since the demonica is featured in previews, I doubt it's just a minor cameo.

The Amala Network and Arakana Corridor (and the whole Hijiri/Aleph thing) suggest a divergent parallel worlds sorta scenario, and SMT1/2 are definitely related, but it's all pretty nebulous.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The most explicit connection between the mainline games is between SMT and SMT II, to the best of my knowledge, as SMT II explicitly stems from the Neutral ending of SMT. There's implications that Nocturne is in the same universe, but that's it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TurnipFritter posted:

Jack Ripper is back in the mix for SMT4, y'all.

Joan of Arc as well, with her tricolor cape :france:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 31, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Amala Network and Arakana Corridor (and the whole Hijiri/Aleph thing) suggest a divergent parallel worlds sorta scenario, and SMT1/2 are definitely related, but it's all pretty nebulous.

Yeah, the idea they're all meant to be in the same multiverse and that's where the linkages stop makes sense, sans 1/2 obviously. With Lucifer and YWHW being multidimensional god-things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Of every potential group in mainline SMT, I'd think it probably would be the Demonica-wearers capable of inter-dimensional travel. Largely because that was specifically their job.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Joan of Arc as well, with her tricolor cape :france:

Good catch, I didn't see the cape at first, so I wasn't sure who the knight was.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

The most explicit connection between the mainline games is between SMT and SMT II, to the best of my knowledge, as SMT II explicitly stems from the Neutral ending of SMT. There's implications that Nocturne is in the same universe, but that's it.

Don't forget SMT: Imagine, which takes place between SMTI and SMTII despite not really having anything at all to do with anything!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Hijiri/Aleph thing was a musing by an FAQ writer (a good one, but still) and disavowed not very long after, I'm amazed it's held on this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

TurnipFritter posted:

Huh. It's cool Baldr's in, I like him, but man I hate that particular design. And he's probably not getting to be a boss again for awhile, so no redesign.

Then again, not like the rest of his pantheon is doing any better. How long is Odin going to have his lovely SNES design instead the rad-rear end Soul hackers one?