Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I would like your favourite (or, hell, top 3 if you have them!) vegetarian recipe. Feel free to PM me instead of posting here, I'm just looking for tried-and-tested inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

How can I get my brother to understand that salt is not the devil? He is a bodybuilder in great shape and always sends me pics of the dishes he makes, which are usually beef or chicken with a load of veggies on the side. He doesn't eat many starches. I always ask how he prepares his food and while he'll use a lot of heat-adding things (hot peppers, hot sauce, red pepper flakes), he never ever uses salt to season anything. The broccoli in the pic he just sent me was steamed, with nothing on it.

I am constantly telling him that it won't kill him and will make his food taste a thousand times better but his retort is "there's tons of sodium in everything, so when I cook for myself I avoid using it." While he's right, he doesn't even eat that much prepared food or go out to eat very often aside from the odd cheat meal. This is just a pet peeve of mine and we live 700 miles away from each other so it doesn't personally affect me, but my inner chef just winces seeing the lost potential in everything he cooks. Any scientific and/or reason-based arguments are absolutely welcome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

therattle posted:

Vinegar. Vinegar plus sweetness = flavour delight. Go easy.

Yeah, but lots of vinegars have a bit of sweetness to them, so it's important to use it advisedly when you're trying to balance against the sweet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I am constantly telling him that it won't kill him and will make his food taste a thousand times better but his retort is "there's tons of sodium in everything, so when I cook for myself I avoid using it." While he's right, he doesn't even eat that much prepared food or go out to eat very often aside from the odd cheat meal. This is just a pet peeve of mine and we live 700 miles away from each other so it doesn't personally affect me, but my inner chef just winces seeing the lost potential in everything he cooks. Any scientific and/or reason-based arguments are absolutely welcome.

One thing you could say is that a sodium tally in the nutrition facts table accounts for all sources of sodium in a food product, not just sodium chloride. If he is making his food from whole raw foods it would be incredibly difficult to get even close to the sodium content in a packaged prepared food since they are also including things like sodium benzoate (preservative), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, sometimes used as a ph adjuster in non baked goods) similarly sodium hydroxide and sodium carbonate, glutamates, sodium nitrate (used a lot in foods that are shelf stable that contain meat), sodium saccharin, etc. Sodium chloride for normal seasoning uses in a homemade food product won't even get nearly as sodium rich as something processed. For instance, if he was to make a hot sauce that he loves with whole ingredients, at home, and properly seasoned it with ordinary cooking salt, it wouldn't be nearly as sodium full as a bottle of tabasco or whatever that will need all those other sodium compounds to ensure its stability from factory, to grocery store, to pantry and be not deadly for the next 6 months or however long it takes its owner to consume it completely.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008
Does anyone have a good recipe for chicken roti?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

I love me some sautéed collard greens with garlic and lemon, but what else can I do with them? Use them like Kale and just put them in everything? Soups, Slaw, added midway into a braise?

You could also cook them the way God intended:

Start your greens cleaning (I like to soak them in a sink full of water to let gravity get rid of any dirt; just be careful not to agitate the water to much when you're pulling them out). While that's happening, make a pork broth: ham hock or smoked pork or even bacon (or smoked turkey if you keep kosher or want to use less fat), a fair amount of water. At this point, my dad blanches the greens, then chops, I just chop. Throw in your pork juice with a chopped onion,a few cloves of garlic, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook until as tender as you like them. My mom likes the stem completely tender, I prefer a little crunch and green to 'em. Add vinegar and/or hot sauce to taste, serve with black eyed peas and cornbread.

I also had some great collards at an Ethiopian restaurant recently, I think there was a recipe in a thread here a while back. . .aha here it is:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ethiopian Spice Mixture:

2 tablespoons ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric
1-2 tablespoons hot chili powder (indian style, cayenne is an OK substitute)
1 tablespoon salt, ground fennel seed, ground fenugreek, black pepper, brown sugar
2 teaspoons asafetida, ground cardamom
1 teaspoon amrchoor, allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, clove
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

All spices are dried powdered, and mixing by pushing it through a sieve is the best way to go.

Ayeb Be-Gomen

4 tablespoons spice mixture

3 cups whole milk cottage cheese, large curd if possible

1 large bunch, collards, chopped well (around 8 cups) washed well and not dried; you want some water on the collards to help the cooking process
(in the pic above, the pieces are too long, which makes it harder to eat. perfect size is like little cross-cut pieces 1/4 inch by 1/8 inch)

4 Tablespoons Ghee or 2 Tablespoons butter 2 Tablespoons Light Oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion, minced
8 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
Method:
1. In a heavy bottomed skillet heat ghee over medium flame; add spices and toast for 1 minute or so

2. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and a healthy pinch of salt; coat with spice mix and cook for 5 minutes

3. Add the collards, coat with onion/garlic/spice mixture. Cover and cook for 7 minutes.

4. Turn off heat and fold in cottage cheese. The cheese will get too gooey if you get it too hot.

5. Let sit for several minutes; taste and adjust salt and heat levels. If you want more heat, add some Siracha!

Really that whole Ethiopian thread was fantastic, if you hurry, you can still read it, its on the last page!

PatMarshall fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 30, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

DoggPickle posted:

I have a really nice blender but no counter space to keep it out, and that always feels like so much cleanup that I end up using it less. What is a good stick blender? Money isn't exactly no object, but I like to spend enough so that things last awhile and work better.

I asked the same a little while ago, and it looks like the $30 Cuisinart is good enough that you don't need to seek out something more spendy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Have any of my fellow grill fanatics found a good brush/pad/stone/whatever for cleaning a cast iron grate? I've found one brush that isn't toil bag but getting deep in between the individual bars is a pain in the rear end and pretty much impossible unless I take grates out and clean them that way.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Those steel or copper mesh pot scubbers work pretty well. But I guess they might scrub off your seasoning if you really go to town. I find the grill cleans easiest when its still hot, but of course, that can get kinda uncomfortable.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Squashy Nipples posted:

THANK YOU. This was the foundation of my argument, except that I didn't explain it as well as you did. I kept saying "this tastes more radishy then daikon".

You can especially tell the difference in oroshi. If you make oroshi with Korean daikon, it tastes (in my opinion) inedible.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lay some knowledge on me for making sauce for chicken wings. What are some good recipes for spicy and sweet BBQ goodness? Or just share your favorite in general.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
There was a sale on beef the other day so I snapped up a bunch of shoulder steaks.

I used maybe a third of it to make some delicious Guinness beef stew for freezing, but I still have 3-4 steaks left.

I'm not really in the mood for steak and wondering what else I could use them for. Preferably something low-carb (health reasons) if possible.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I haven't had great luck on Craigslist, so turning to eBay: what search terms should I use to find a decent set of pots? I'm fine for pans since I have a large and small Revereware, small cast iron, and Western wok, but it's getting a little annoying making soup in a wok and tea in a small frying pan.

I tried "pots set" and checking the "used" box, so I'm finding some gear. Should I just get more Revereware to match, or are there certain makes of pots for general cooking that I might hope to find good deals on used on eBay?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Check out a Marshall's / Homegoods / TJ Maxx near you. They usually have very nice cookware at bargain basement prices and you should be able to pick and choose what you want, rather than getting a set with a bunch of crap you don't need.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I haven't had great luck on Craigslist, so turning to eBay: what search terms should I use to find a decent set of pots? I'm fine for pans since I have a large and small Revereware, small cast iron, and Western wok, but it's getting a little annoying making soup in a wok and tea in a small frying pan.

I tried "pots set" and checking the "used" box, so I'm finding some gear. Should I just get more Revereware to match, or are there certain makes of pots for general cooking that I might hope to find good deals on used on eBay?

If you have a a Macy's they sell really cheap good quality cookware. You'd likely find even cheaper at a thrift store. I've managed to get pots from thrift stores for less than $5.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I was thinking of buying a four pound wheel of Red Dragon cheese (a cheddar with mustard seeds). What is the best way to store a partial wheel of hard cheese for a few months? I have a vacuum sealer if that is helpful, but I don't have anyplace like a root cellar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

I would like your favourite (or, hell, top 3 if you have them!) vegetarian recipe. Feel free to PM me instead of posting here, I'm just looking for tried-and-tested inspiration.

Can you be more specific? The vegan thread had some great recipes, and the "Help! I'm poor!" did too, as vegetarian food is usually cheaper.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

therattle posted:

Can you be more specific? The vegan thread had some great recipes, and the "Help! I'm poor!" did too, as vegetarian food is usually cheaper.

Anything that doesn't involve fake meat, really. That's kind of why I said people are free to PM if they can - I want some stuff that people really enjoy, rather than more general suggestions if that makes sense? But I also don't want to clog up the thread.

I follow the poor thread but a lot of it seems to get pretty samey - which is understandable because it's about budgeting. However, cost isn't necessarily a consideration for me, I just want to diversify my meals a little bit and I've been asking my veggie friends for ideas but it turns out only a couple of them actually cook. I'm also pretty well-versed in the art of curry, so something a bit more novel would be appreciated. Other than that, I'm all ears (or eyes, I suppose!)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I couldn't find a sharpening or a knife thread so throwing it in here:

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359592596&sr=1-1

I've been debating the above for using on my kitchen knives. Searching around I mostly found advice relating to hunting knives, scissors and lawnmower blades. Forums that specifically discuss sharpening kitchen knives seem to be a little polarised between 'all whetstone all the time' and 'gadgets are great' so I was hoping some less knife-sharpening extremists might have an opinion.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PST posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359592596&sr=1-1

I've been debating the above for using on my kitchen knives. Searching around I mostly found advice relating to hunting knives, scissors and lawnmower blades. Forums that specifically discuss sharpening kitchen knives seem to be a little polarised between 'all whetstone all the time' and 'gadgets are great' so I was hoping some less knife-sharpening extremists might have an opinion.

All whetstone, all the time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

rj54x posted:

Check out a Marshall's / Homegoods / TJ Maxx near you. They usually have very nice cookware at bargain basement prices and you should be able to pick and choose what you want, rather than getting a set with a bunch of crap you don't need.

I once saw a cooking pot in Marshall's that was copper on the outside... and the inside. :pwn:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

M42 posted:

I once saw a cooking pot in Marshall's that was copper on the outside... and the inside. :pwn:

...Maybe it was meant to be decorative? :shrug:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Will it kill me? Fish edition

I have some frozen vacuum sealed cod fillets from the supermarket that i left in the fridge to defrost and forgot about. Its been about a week in the fridge, Instructions say to thaw and use immediately. Throw em out?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

RazorBunny posted:

I asked the same a little while ago, and it looks like the $30 Cuisinart is good enough that you don't need to seek out something more spendy.

Thanks, I'll check out the cuisinart. My toaster is cuisinart and its great, but my rice cooker was also, and it broke. Probably random lemon I guess.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My first time making bread. Using this recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/german-dark-rye-bread-43285/review

Instead of just making round loaves on a baking sheet, I'm using a cast iron bread pan. Should I adjust the temperature or baking time?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

DoggPickle posted:

Thanks, I'll check out the cuisinart. My toaster is cuisinart and its great, but my rice cooker was also, and it broke. Probably random lemon I guess.

We are currently looking for how to best deal with our cuisinart smart stick. The problem is the same as a bunch of the bad reviews on Amazon that I'm seeing. There's some plastic in the motor body that's critical for connecting it to the blender, and it just wears out over time. The blade starts slipping & the motor starts whining. They're pretty cheap though, to the point that it looks like getting a new one will cost as much as replacing the one part. However, family heirlooms they are not.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Will it kill me? Fish edition

I have some frozen vacuum sealed cod fillets from the supermarket that i left in the fridge to defrost and forgot about. Its been about a week in the fridge, Instructions say to thaw and use immediately. Throw em out?

I would pitch it. The problem with vac sealed bags is that it is the perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria to grow, and they grow at fridge temps. The main concern here is botulism and it won't cause an off odor. The chance you will have a problem is fairly small bit the outcome if you do is dire. Not worth the risk for me, ymmv.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

PST posted:

If you have an $8 department store special, then a sharpener gadget like that is no big deal, to be quite honest. It'll take off a lot more metal than a stone and shorten the ultimate lifespan of your knife, but unless you have a nice knife that you want to be able to use for decades on end, it's kind of a "whatever..." thing. The edge made with one of those is pretty sharp and useable, but you will definitely be able to get both a sharper, more refined edge and a much longer lifespan if you sharpen with a stone.

Also, I think that there's a knife thread in TFR.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 31, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Anything that doesn't involve fake meat, really. That's kind of why I said people are free to PM if they can - I want some stuff that people really enjoy, rather than more general suggestions if that makes sense? But I also don't want to clog up the thread.

I follow the poor thread but a lot of it seems to get pretty samey - which is understandable because it's about budgeting. However, cost isn't necessarily a consideration for me, I just want to diversify my meals a little bit and I've been asking my veggie friends for ideas but it turns out only a couple of them actually cook. I'm also pretty well-versed in the art of curry, so something a bit more novel would be appreciated. Other than that, I'm all ears (or eyes, I suppose!)
There are entire cuisines/cultures packed full of vegetarian recipes so it's kind of weird not to be able to find stuff but here is a spreadsheet with some vegetarian recipes. It's a bit more than 3 but just imagine t hat a lot of different people each gave you 3 or something.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are entire cuisines/cultures packed full of vegetarian recipes so it's kind of weird not to be able to find stuff but here is a spreadsheet with some vegetarian recipes. It's a bit more than 3 but just imagine t hat a lot of different people each gave you 3 or something.

To pile on to this, Indian food would be a great place to start. I'll put my love of steak against anyone's but I was friends with an Indian family in high school and they made some delicious stuff. It was quite a revelation to my rural southern palate.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Buddhist food is vegetarian though with some weird restrictions, like no pungent veggies (e.g., garlic and onions).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

tarepanda posted:

Buddhist food is vegetarian though with some weird restrictions, like no pungent veggies (e.g., garlic and onions).

I can't even imagine that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the cult of TM (followers of the Maharishi) don't eat onions, garlic, mushrooms or peanuts because they are "tamasic", which means they "inhibit transcendence". So instead of onions and garlic, they cook with asafoetida (hing), a pungent herb that sort of tastes like garlic and onions.

You also aren't supposed to drink any fluid while eating, and doors on houses that face south are banned.

I wish I was making this poo poo up. :smith:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, the cult of TM (followers of the Maharishi) don't eat onions, garlic, mushrooms or peanuts because they are "tamasic", which means they "inhibit transcendence". So instead of onions and garlic, they cook with asafoetida (hing), a pungent herb that sort of tastes like garlic and onions.

You also aren't supposed to drink any fluid while eating, and doors on houses that face south are banned.

I wish I was making this poo poo up. :smith:

I'd rather not transcend at that point.

Seriously, though, tell me more about this herb, I am intrigued.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dino could probably tell you more, it's most prevalent in southern Indian cooking, but it does bleed over into some nearby cuisines. It's one of the ingredients in the Ethiopian spice mix that my GF and I developed, which someone reposted about halfway up the page.

Its so powerful, that when you buy jars of it, it's about half powdered binder (much like most smoke powders). It will ruin other spices nearby, so seal it up good (I use a ziplock inside a jar inside a ziplock). Raw it smells awful; people have used it in the past to keep evil spirits away. Once you cook it, it smells delightful, and has a nice earthy taste. If you've ever been to a South Indian's home, you'll recognize the smell.

Good stuff, but not for people new to Indian spices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I am woefully ignorant of real Indian cooking. Sure I will eat an embarrassing amount at lunch buffets but as for actual cooking I have maybe done tandoori chicken once. I'm sure it's a smell I will recognize, though. I'll check this out, thanks!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

M42 posted:

Unlined copper pots are an ideal pot for cooking sugar in. Copper has a natural acid in it that makes it more difficult for the sugar to crystallize in.
They are pretty much one trick ponies, but the trick they do they do it well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Along those lines, copper bowls are also better for beating egg whites

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/copperbowl.htm

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

tarepanda posted:

There was a sale on beef the other day so I snapped up a bunch of shoulder steaks.

I used maybe a third of it to make some delicious Guinness beef stew for freezing, but I still have 3-4 steaks left.

I'm not really in the mood for steak and wondering what else I could use them for. Preferably something low-carb (health reasons) if possible.

Braise them in marsala for three or four hours with some garlic, onions, and mushrooms. I have no idea how many carbs are in that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It doesn't matter because

1. Carbs are good for you
2. There are almost none there
3. That sounds tasty which is really the point