Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Holy poo poo, the Guardian Angels have the most out of place looking armor ever. Seriously that blue visor helmet looks straight up cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think a lot of those are fan designs. Also, no Storm Wardens from what I saw.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Don't underestimate the awfulness of GW employees.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Speaking of fan designs and female Space Marines, I came across this recently:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, that is the original Rogue Trader era, the same one that gave us Inquisitor Obi-Wan Cousteau, and a half-Eldar Ultramarine Librarian. :shepface:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, that is the original Rogue Trader era, the same one that gave us Inquisitor Obi-Wan Cousteau, and a half-Eldar Ultramarine Librarian. :shepface:

Obi-Wan Sherlock Clousseau, though now I can't shake the idea of a steve zissou Rogue Trader campaign

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tardcore posted:

Holy poo poo, the Guardian Angels have the most out of place looking armor ever. Seriously that blue visor helmet looks straight up cyberpunk.

I'm fairly certain that chestpiece comes from Robocop.

Sormus posted:

Speaking of fan designs and female Space Marines, I came across this recently:

This is from a Challenge magazine, isn't it? They were never sticklers of anything canon outside of their own products of Traveler, 2300 A.D. and Twilight/Merc 2000.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You know, this time I bothered to read the majority of that page and does anyone else think that'd make a pretty kick-rear end Deathwatch scenario? Though you might need to substitute the slann for something else. (Eldar? Necrons? one-shot unknown Xenos?)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(Eldar? Necrons?)

Either would work, although the players should probably have no idea of the details beyond "there are (racename) ruins there so they might have had something to do with it. The Necrons and the Slann actually canonically did mess with the stars of the Jericho reach extensively (see The Outer Reaches for details).

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The Old Ones are still canon, even if them being Slann in 40k has been done away with.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You know, this time I bothered to read the majority of that page and does anyone else think that'd make a pretty kick-rear end Deathwatch scenario? Though you might need to substitute the slann for something else. (Eldar? Necrons? one-shot unknown Xenos?)

You could use the Yu'vath if you want a less familiar xenos. They were this ultra-advanced alien empire that was destroyed during the Angevin Crusade, though Rogue Trader expands on them and suggests that what was found was more like a colonial stronghold and that they are native to another galaxy or dimension.

One theory I am fond of is that they are the creators of the Halo Devices, and that is how they reproduce. I'm not sure if I read that in a RT book or someone else speculating, but it is official in my games.

Speaking of changes to the scenario, what have goons changed in their 40K?

Personally I've Abnettised the setting extensively, with most people being familiar with technology, and only those with actual knowledge of engineering and the sciences as a Tech-Priest or Heretek, also they are not stagnant and production isn't half as centralized, even though some forge worlds maintain a monopoly on certain techs. Codex information on the setting is only applicable to war zones, and most of the Imperium lives in relative peace and stability. Smaller warp-capable vessels exist, and Navigators are only necessary for long distance or unstable routes. Chaos and the Warp in general are more ambiguous in nature and don't turn people into mustache-twirling villains (might still give them extra eyes, however) and Daemons don't fall into neat categories, each one being a unique spawn of emotional energy and psychological archetypes.

And other small details that come up once in a while, like Hives not needing to import most of their food as that is logistical madness and it is what fungis are soylent green are for.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ZearothK posted:

Daemons don't fall into neat categories, each one being a unique spawn of emotional energy and psychological archetypes.

I like this and have had something similar for my own headcanon, but I tend to take more of a halfway position in that yes, you can group some daemons together in broad categories like "is a powerful servant of Tzeentch and has a birdlike head," but the exact rigid taxa that you see models for are selected/abstracted for tabletop convenience.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

ZearothK posted:

Rogue Trader's Into the Storm has the Gun-Cutter, which serves a similar role (though it is a bit larger), so you may want to tweak its stats, that book also has an Aquila Lander, so you should aim for something between the two vessels. The Valkyrie should have the Spacecraft trait, which allows it to operate as a flyer or skimmer at the pilot's behest.

Edit: Actually, since it's in none of the books and it's a slow day at work, this is what I'd cook up for a Valkyrie.

Liesmith posted:

From Rogue Trader: Citadel of Skulls - Part 2 of the Warpstorm Trilogy
/snip

I've been looking into stats for a Valk for the RT game I'm in, and the fluff/lexicanum/etc has absolutely no mention of Valks being operated in the vacuum of space. So why should the Valkyrie have the Spacecraft trait? And why does the Sky Talon have 10 AU as tactical speed in Citadel of Skulls but no cruising speed in the void, and lack the Spacecraft trait?

The only alternative I can think of is a guncutter, which is apparently a "generic" small space craft with some room for men and has some guns. All I can find is a sketch of what is a "guncutter" from the side (for visualisation).

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iceshade posted:

I've been looking into stats for a Valk for the RT game I'm in, and the fluff/lexicanum/etc has absolutely no mention of Valks being operated in the vacuum of space. So why should the Valkyrie have the Spacecraft trait? And why does the Sky Talon have 10 AU as tactical speed in Citadel of Skulls but no cruising speed in the void, and lack the Spacecraft trait?

The only alternative I can think of is a guncutter, which is apparently a "generic" small space craft with some room for men and has some guns. All I can find is a sketch of what is a "guncutter" from the side (for visualisation).

A guncutter works. Stats can be found on p. 183 of Into the Storm. There are a lot of other ships too, it really depends on what you're looking for. There are more vehicles in Battlefleet Koronus on p. 140 and I know I've seen some in specific adventures too.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Liesmith posted:

A guncutter works. Stats can be found on p. 183 of Into the Storm. There are a lot of other ships too, it really depends on what you're looking for. There are more vehicles in Battlefleet Koronus on p. 140 and I know I've seen some in specific adventures too.

Basically looking for a support craft that can provide close air support for ground troops, and do insertions. Flyer/spacecraft. The guncutter is the obvious choice, but apart from that sketch in ITS there's no info on it. Valkyries are well-known, have quite a few variations and detailed modifications, but no mention of them being spacecraft.

I'll look through the adventures for appropriate vehicles. Or maybe there is a compiled list somewhere?
e: There's a vehicle list in the big supersize spreadsheet/ 40k armory.xls

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 29, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Iceshade posted:

My bad, the Spacecraft trait allows a ship to operate both as a Flyer and Skimmer, and I hadn't seen in any of the books that there was a version of the trait that didn't include the void capacity. Valkyries aren't supposed to go to space.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iceshade posted:

Basically looking for a support craft that can provide close air support for ground troops, and do insertions. Flyer/spacecraft. The guncutter is the obvious choice, but apart from that sketch in ITS there's no info on it. Valkyries are well-known, have quite a few variations and detailed modifications, but no mention of them being spacecraft.

I'll look through the adventures for appropriate vehicles. Or maybe there is a compiled list somewhere?
e: There's a vehicle list in the big supersize spreadsheet/ 40k armory.xls

you could combine an Arvus Lighter or weaponized Aquila Lander to do your drops/insertions with a guncutter or some Imperial version of the Chaos Hellblade (also from Citadel of Skulls, there are a lot of vehicles there) for fire support. Chaos Hellblade is a fighter that can do some skimmer stuff for a few rounds, like an armed Chopterian Scout. Or you could just make up a helicopter.

CHAOS HELL BLADE FIGHTER
There are some Inquisitors of the Ordo Malleus who believe that the Chaos Hell Blade (among other designs) is a creation of renegade Tech-Priests upon a corrupted, Traitor Forge world within the Eye of Terror. This planet is named Xana II, and it is speculated that many of the war machines found amongst Chaos forces are produced there.
The Chaos Hell Blade is a fast, agile, and well-armed fightercraft piloted by corrupted servitors, cursed souls that have been hard-wired into the cockpit for the rest of their miserable lives. Horrifi c wails and screams issue forth from the fighter’s narrow profi le as it slices through the skies.
Type: Flyer Tactical Speed: 30m/25 AUs
Cruising Speed: 2,000 kph Manoeuvrability: +15
Structural Integrity: 20 Size: Enormous
Armour: Front 20, Side 20, Rear 20
Crew: Pilot
Carrying Capacity: None
Weapons: Two Pilot-operated Twin-linked Autocannons
(Range 300m, Heavy, S/2/5, 4d10+5 I, Pen 4, Clip 200,
Twin-linked)
Special Rules
Flyer: This aircraft uses aerodynamic principals to stay aloft. When airborne, it must move at east half its cruising speed at all times lest it crash to the ground. If it ever becomes completely immobilised due to damage, count the vehicle as destroyed instead as it crashes to the ground.
Vector Thrust Engines: The Hell Blade may count as a Skimmer (and follow all the rules for a Skimmer) for up to 2 minutes before it must return to counting as a Flyer. It may do this once every hour.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Guncutters aren't a particular vehicle, like the Valkyrie or Arvus; they're a category. A guncutter could refer to a Valk-sized void-capable ship, up to something as big as a Thunderhawk (or even bigger).

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah anything that is armed and space/air capable and has some cargo/passenger space can be a guncutter.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I'm looking to throw a bit of an investigation heavy mission at my Deathwatch players as they've been enjoying those more than the straight up fight missions and I'm thinking Enslavers could be interesting but I'm chasing some help in both the mission design and the combat encounters.

Previously they had to choose between a couple of missions and one of them was about Kroot mercenaries being sighted working with slavers. Another Kill Team ended up being deployed instead which killed all the Kroot in the area but didn't confirm that there was a Warsphere nearby.
So their Watch Station picks up a minor planet/space station's astropaths all going silent but the last message was about an incoming alien warship exiting the Warp. They arrive and there's no sign of the ship and nothing is responding to hails.

I think I'll try and go for a bit of an Aliens style abandoned outpost but few signs of external damage and no bodies, but as you get deeper you walk into an ambush and everything is way worse than it seems. Any suggestions for playing that out and keeping that atmosphere? I'm thinking the core bodyguards of the Enslavers are the remaining kroot of the Warsphere and they'll be tracking them through the outpost but the party comes across the enslaved population first. Maybe comes across some that fake being uninfected to lure them into traps and some that've legitimately managed to hide?

As for combat/mechanics, the Enslavers are from Dark Heresy and're pretty wimpy. T3, no armour and 25 wounds means they'll be killed by even casual bolter fire from a single marine. Maybe I can use the Zoanthrope Warp Field as well as Catalyst on them? I might go for nine Enslavers total, three originally brought through possessing Kroot and then two more groups of three brought through from those messy psyker gates. Three at a time + bodyguards should be nasty enough to evoke that tactical withdrawal feeling of Aliens and if they decide to just power through them instead they'll burn some resources and/or die like heroes I guess.
The Kroot are pretty wimpy as well, maybe I can uparmour them a bit, throw in multiple Shapers and a couple of Eviscerators? Or use a couple of smallish ~20 Hordes each with a different evolution/mutation thing like in that sweet all Kroot army list variant that was around in 4th ed or whenever. The only one I remember is wings but a super tough one and a stealth one or something could work.

Any general suggestions for putting in a few extra steps from "land in empty outpost" -> "oh enslavers and kroot" or some about throwing together interesting and varied encounters would be excellent, thanks guys.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 30, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Karandras posted:

As for combat/mechanics, the Enslavers are from Dark Heresy and're pretty wimpy. T3, no armour and 25 wounds means they'll be killed by even casual bolter fire from a single marine.

This is kind of the point. Enslavers are physically unremarkable, their slaves are the real threat in the short term. WHat makes Enslavers such a major horror is that they take control of people, and the more people they take control of, the more enslavers appear, spreading from a small infestation to a sector-wide plague extremely rapidly. They can be brought it by anyone with even a hint of psychic potential and that person doesn't even realize what's happening until they are an enslaver gate and the whole world is doomed.

I'd put them in a hive world, personally.

Or, actually, how about during a Tyranid invasion?

Two possibilities wrt tyranids: Deathwatch is on a world that the tyranids are invading, rescue some people, enslavers come through and control these people during the tyranid attack what the gently caress survival horror aaaaaah. And then they start controlling the Tyranids. Or, your deathwatch team has been sent because there is a group of Tyrannic creatures that are acting Really Weird and it turns out that the Enslavers are using synapse creatures as enslaver gates.

If you want something more investigative you could have one of the major people in the Crusade become an enslaver gate. Can't just shoot him.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Oh, I totally get that they're physically unremarkable but having a trio of them disintegrate the same combat round they're spotted (regardless of range or cover) isn't quite what I'm chasing. They aren't going to be tough themselves, it'll be the things they're controlling but giving them enough defenses so they get a round to try and flee would be nice.

My game isn't set in the Jericho reach during the crusade, it's set during the beginning of the Badab War (And is a kill team of Maelstrom Warders + a Salamander) but I can still do the Enslaving of someone important, just someone different. If they actually became an Enslaver gate though I imagine you wouldn't need to shoot them anymore since:
"their forms swell as body tissue disintegrates as well as reforms into a living gate of ruptured pulsing flesh. This becomes the end of the victim as their body is transformed into a special form of Warp Gate that serves as a link between the Materium and the Immaterium through which the trio of Enslavers travel unrestricted"

For that reason I'm also a bit light on Tyranids and I've already done the 'remains of an ancient hivefleet thawing out on a world' thing.

During an alien invasion works well though and that's a neat idea, that way I can tie it into other missions as well (They messed up a mission with some Eldar and let most of them escape) and it adds a complication that can link into further stuff. Cheers!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hey everyone,

I started a wikia with the purpose to collect the history of all our 40k games. The various GMs end up running their games in the same 'universe' (outside of the 40k setting obviously) so I thought it'd be fun to collect the important PCs and characters of our games on a wiki. If you'd like to participate, please make pages for yourself as a player and for your characters / games if you ran any!

http://acolyte.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

That's pretty neat! I've wanted to grab some other friends playing 40k systems to try and integrate a Deathwatch game with, say, a Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy game ever since I saw the "Throne cell" requisition option (You pay resources for a Dark Heresy power level team to complete a tertiary objective for you).

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Scoobi posted:

Hey everyone,

I started a wikia with the purpose to collect the history of all our 40k games. The various GMs end up running their games in the same 'universe' (outside of the 40k setting obviously) so I thought it'd be fun to collect the important PCs and characters of our games on a wiki. If you'd like to participate, please make pages for yourself as a player and for your characters / games if you ran any!

I'll do that. Think I'll add in some of the stuff from Tzeentchgame, like Victor Dantes, the frozen Lazy Nelson, and the good ship Rob the Heretic, Gouge the Mutant, Cheat the Unclean.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Imagine my joy/horror when I was greeted by koepisi.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
My group started playing the Only War campaign, and to make a long story short I'm playing a ratling. Is there anything more descriptive than the warhammer wiki that details interactions between human guardsman and ratlings or is everyone outside of the immediate squad pretty much hateful of them?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Squidicus posted:

My group started playing the Only War campaign, and to make a long story short I'm playing a ratling. Is there anything more descriptive than the warhammer wiki that details interactions between human guardsman and ratlings or is everyone outside of the immediate squad pretty much hateful of them?

They're abhuman so your mileage may vary. They are often requisition officers or cooks so I doubt they are hated by everyone. I'd put the baseline rating on ratlings as 'ambivalent' , with regiments that work closely with them favoring them and regiments that are ultra pious distrusting or spiteful

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Scoobi posted:

Hey everyone,

I'll add this to the OP.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
We now have someone playing a Pariah character in the Black Crusade game that is starting up in my circle of Roleplaying friends. This is going to end quite well. :psyduck:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Solus posted:

We now have someone playing a Pariah character in the Black Crusade game that is starting up in my circle of Roleplaying friends. This is going to end quite well. :psyduck:

How would the Vortex even react to a Pariah? Seems like an oil-and-water type of thing.

On the other hand, the Pariah's services would be very much in demand.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Now that my friends and I have some idea of how Only War works, we wanted to make a new regiment that is a bit more appropriate for something that would explain why they are going from area to area doing random quests. Yes I know that Rouge Trader would make more sense as to why they are flying about adventuring, but we like the Only War system (especially since it is newer with better rules). The idea for the regiment is one that exists far out on the edges of Imperial space, going to where they are needed. Basically they travel from system to system, get dumped in a city or the wilds, and told to deal with the stuff that planetary militias or law enforcement aren't equipped to handle. So do these rules fit this type of regiment while not feeling too overpowered?

Characters belonging to the Charthaigh Frontier Guard gain the following advantages:
Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Ballistic Skill, +6 Perception, -3 Willpower.
Starting Aptitudes: None.
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Imperium), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Awareness.
Starting Talents: Combat Sense, Paranoia.
Amongst the People: Soldiers from Charthaigh are rarely sent to the front lines, as they are trained to travel between systems to work with local government militaries and law forces. Often sent out to investigate and combat whatever is threatening the people, they have learned how to gain the trust of the citizens of a planet (gain +10 to any tests when dealing with civilians).
Far from Home: Frequently sent deep into the reaches of the Imperium, and far away proper supply lines, Charthaigh squads are notorious for scavenging up equipment and weapons, or even "acquiring" that which is assigned to other missions. They may choose to get a +10 bonus on any Logistics Tests, however on any roll using this bonus that rolls doubles gains the attention of higher authorities. This talent also applies to when in the field, granting them a +10 to Survival.
Wounds: Characters from this regiment generate starting Wounds normally.
Standard Regimental Kit: 2 uniforms, 1 set of poor weather gear, 1 M36 Lasgun with 4 charge packs, 1 Good Craftsmanship monoknife, flak armour, 1 rucksack, 1 set of basic tools, 1 mess kit and 2 water canteens, 1 blanket and sleeping bag, 1 rechargeable lamp pack, 1 grooming kit, 1 set of cognomen tags, 1 primer or instructional handbook, 4 weeks supplies of sustenance rations, 1 set of magnoculars, 1 Sentinel Scout Walker or Chimera per squad.
Favored Weapons: Missile Launcher, Melta Gun

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hodgepodge posted:

How would the Vortex even react to a Pariah? Seems like an oil-and-water type of thing.

On the other hand, the Pariah's services would be very much in demand.

the screaming vortex would have a psy rating (if it had such a thing) of much higher than six. I reckon it's safe from the Pariah, RAW.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know what's worse, the fact that FFG put this in- or the fact that I'm still giggly over it:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that FFG put this in- or the fact that I'm still giggly over it:

That's fantastic for terrible reasons. Now I can't stop laughing.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

CommissarMega posted:

Close down Games Workshop, this is the pinnacle of 40k

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CommissarMega posted:

I believe what you meant to say was "I don't know what's better" because there is nothing wrong there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

I smiled at the Aliens reference but laughed when I completely read the quote. Genius, pure genius.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
A grim far future indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Holy poo poo, what page is that on?