Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can now confirm that FakeClockUp, FolderEnhancer, and iFile work on iOS 6.0.1.

Also, I found this nice iOS 6 Compatability Spreadsheet. Has a lot of apps/tweeks on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I don't see Quasar on that list yet. Oh pleasepleaseplease work in 6.

It's the only one I couldn't give up a jailbreak for.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Kheldarn posted:

I can now confirm that FakeClockUp, FolderEnhancer, and iFile work on iOS 6.0.1.

Also, I found this nice iOS 6 Compatability Spreadsheet. Has a lot of apps/tweeks on it.
Did I miss where they released the 6.0.1 jailbreak? My phone just told me iOS 6.1 is available.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Physical posted:

Did I miss where they released the 6.0.1 jailbreak? My phone just told me iOS 6.1 is available.

iOS 6.x can be jailbroken if you're running it on an iPhone 4, among others (3GS? iPad (n) ?).

I tried iOS 6.0.1 jailbroken on my iPhone 4, but too many tweaks were incompatible, so I reverted back to 5.1.1

PS:

http://evasi0n.com/

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Rick Rickshaw posted:

iOS 6.x can be jailbroken if you're running it on an iPhone 4, among others (3GS? iPad (n) ?).

I tried iOS 6.0.1 jailbroken on my iPhone 4, but too many tweaks were incompatible, so I reverted back to 5.1.1

PS:

http://evasi0n.com/
How about 4S?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Physical posted:

How about 4S?

Nope. Gonna have to wait for that nice shiny bar on that webpage to fill up.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Nope. Gonna have to wait for that nice shiny bar on that webpage to fill up.

Hurry up bar, hurry up!

I wish I could just pay em to get it now :(

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Is there any real reason to jailbreak anymore? What are the must-have apps that you can only get by jailbreaking?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

cremnob posted:

Is there any real reason to jailbreak anymore? What are the must-have apps that you can only get by jailbreaking?

I miss having SBsettings in the notification center, other than that, I'm not missing much.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Frinkahedron posted:

I miss having SBsettings in the notification center, other than that, I'm not missing much.

Honestly, my favorite app is Activator. Play/Pause/Next/Previous on the case buttons is awesome.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

cremnob posted:

My 'essentials' list consists of SBSettings, F.lux, Remove/Kill Background, and Zephyr. There's a lot of other fun little tweaks like Barrel, Springtomize, and FakeClockUp but those first 4 apps are a must-have for me.

Some people also swear by BiteSMS and LockInfo but I haven't used them myself.

I remember someone posting a screenshot that had Android-like toggles (Wifi/airplane mode/etc.) on the lockscreen, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know what that app was called?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Custom SMS tones, and a ringtone that's not limited to 40 sec. :kiddo:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I miss all of the above, especially SBSettings.

And even though it's superficial, I really miss custom icons and a custom lockscreen.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
FolderIcons, custom icons for apps, removal of text on apps, removal of the dock, and that's before talking about functional modifications like SSH and OpenVPN.

I miss having a clean screen. :smith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

~Coxy posted:

Custom SMS tones, and a ringtone that's not limited to 40 sec. :kiddo:

What carrier do you have that lets your phone ring for more than 40 seconds? And custom SMS tones are part of stock firmware now...

I'm just in this for skinning. I made an awesome Mario Bros. skin for my 3GS back in the day, I'd love an excuse to remake it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

cremnob posted:

Getting to tether my laptop without paying ATT for the privilege.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

All of you guys that use SBS Settings, check out Deck. It provided all the SBS Functionality I wanted out of the box, a pretty notification center widget that jives with the general design of iOS, and decent customization (IIRC you could remove elements from the widget/deck and rearrange them, but I'm not sure if it provided the ability to add new elements).

Eagerly waiting the jailbreak. Living on stock hasn't been unbearable, but I really miss Zephyr, f.lux, Deck, and BytaFont. I thought the Hattori Hanzo font someone mentioned in this thread really suited iPhone screens better than the stock one.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Getting to tether my laptop without paying ATT for the privilege.

Note, they will still know you are tethering and will either kick you off their unlimited data plan (which they tried to do to me) or charge you a poo poo storm of monies.

I got away with it for a few months as I still am on the grandfathered unlimited data plan, but when they saw me using GBs every month they tried furiously to get a hold of me, and when I finally talked to them they told me that I had to stop, or they were going to put me on a 3gb a month plan with a tethering package, because you know fancy.

I have stopped since then, but sometimes I use it when I really have to.

I do not know what its like to tether on a normal data plan without paying the extra and being jailbroken, so maybe this is what you are doing. Just my experience.

Also, gently caress AT&T forever.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

ddogflex posted:

Do you reinstall Windows from scratch every time they have an update? How is an OTA not "doing it right"?

Well, considering this is relating to iOS jail breaking and not weekly patches and hot fixes on a PC I'd say they aren't close to the same thing. According to the people releasing the new JB a full restore is the right way to update to 6.1 and OTA is the wrong way if you want your jailbreak to work correctly. Of course if you don't care about jail breaking an OTA is fine but I figured anyone posting in the jail breaking thread would, you know, want to jailbreak.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah if you tether with AT&T jailbreakng they'll take away your unlimited data the 2nd offense. Stupid we can't pay for tethering somehow without losing it.

I racked up 6 gigs this month somehow so I don't want to lose it. LTE I guess.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

cremnob posted:

KillBackground makes low-memory devices way better. Android has always had Task Killers, and now Android 4+ has a CLOSE ALL button, even on devices with 2 GIGS of RAM. Why can't iOS? Many iOS devices have 256MB of RAM, and could really use a "close all" button.

MapsOpener causes all navigation links to open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.

NoSpot to disable the Spotlight page if you never use it. I've been using iOS since mid-2009. After all that time, the only way I end up on the Spotlight page is by accident. NoSpot lets me turn it off.

3G Unrestrictor gets rid of the silly "WiFi only" limitations of many apps. If I have nearly-unlimited data and a 10 Mbps+ cellular connection, why force me to download everything on the lovely 0.5 Mbps public WiFi I'm sharing with a hundred people???

BytaFont to pick different fonts, and WinterBoard to pick different icons. It can give an OS that has looked the same since 2007 a fresh appearance.

NCSettings or SBSettings. Hasn't Android had quick-toggles since 2008? It's 2013 and iOS still doesn't. These programs help fix that.

MyWi, TetherMe, etc. It's MY data, I should be able to use it how I wish.

Cyntact for adding photos to my Contact list. It's easier for me to quickly find someone by picture, sometimes.

Barrel for awesome icon transitions.

There's lots iOS lacks. There are dozens of reasons to jailbreak.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

LockInfo is the one I miss the most when I'm not jailbroken.

MyWi is handy as well during those times when I need to tether. AT&T has never complained but I only do it maybe once or twice a month v:)v

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
It is worth it to jailbreak just for the tweaks to the typing interface.

Reversing the autocorrect funtionality (tap to correct rather than tap to not correct), being able to move the text input cursor around by moving your finger around on the keyboard, and having the letters on the keyboard reflect the lowercase/caps, especially.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
BiteSMS soley for the reason that you can send/respond-to messages without having to switch to the messaging app. I have no idea why iMessage hasn't gotten this functionality yet.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

cremnob posted:

Aside from the customization (app behaviors more than appearance) a jailbreak is the only way *I* can get my 4S properly configured to fully work on a StraightTalk prepaid plan. It's requires futzing around with the APN settings, and I can only do that through a jailbreak. Other methods involve a tmobile SIM swap, and TMobile is the unicorn of mobile providers where I live.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Having upgraded to 6.1 for the past 4 days or so, I cannot stand the lack of a kill all apps button. I abused the hell out of that for a year. Last night I went to close apps, since I remembered I had to manually do that. I had maybe 20 apps open.

On the other hand, it seems like under-the-hood changes in dealing with RAM usage/availability have improved greatly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

cornface posted:

Reversing the autocorrect funtionality (tap to correct rather than tap to not correct), being able to move the text input cursor around by moving your finger around on the keyboard, and having the letters on the keyboard reflect the lowercase/caps, especially.

???

They changed/fixed the autocorrect behavior back in iOS 5.0.

In iOS 4.x, it was only "tap to NOT correct" (so addons like "Manual Correct" were needed). In iOS 5 (and 6) you can change it so it never corrects, so you get "tap TO correct".

Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Auto-Correction

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Xenomorph posted:

???

They changed/fixed the autocorrect behavior back in iOS 5.0.

In iOS 4.x, it was only "tap to NOT correct" (so addons like "Manual Correct" were needed). In iOS 5 (and 6) you can change it so it never corrects, so you get "tap TO correct".

Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Auto-Correction

I got excited at first when I read your post, but it doesn't work the same way.

If you turn off autocorrect you actually have to tap on the word after you type it and it is underlined to pop up the correction bubble. With the jailbreak app it still pops up the suggestion bubble as normal while you type the word, you just have to actually tap it if you want the correction.

It doesn't sound like a huge difference, but it really is.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

Having upgraded to 6.1 for the past 4 days or so, I cannot stand the lack of a kill all apps button. I abused the hell out of that for a year. Last night I went to close apps, since I remembered I had to manually do that. I had maybe 20 apps open.

On the other hand, it seems like under-the-hood changes in dealing with RAM usage/availability have improved greatly.

Quit sperging about clearing out the task switcher. Not all of those apps are running anyway. I only kill things when they are misbehaving. The OS does a great job of managing that stuff for the most part.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Blimpkin posted:

Actually, those icons in your switcher do not represent "open" apps. They only represent your app history. Sure, some of those apps may be still stored in memory, or even still using CPU cycles if you closed it within the past 10 minutes and it is downloading a file or something else critical, but most of them have long gone to the place running apps go to die and cycled out of memory.

edit: Beaten, minus the more nerdy explanation. Also, this:

https://vimeo.com/34660348

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 31, 2013

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Voodoo posted:

BiteSMS soley for the reason that you can send/respond-to messages without having to switch to the messaging app. I have no idea why iMessage hasn't gotten this functionality yet.

This times x1000. It might seem minor, and it really is, but it's so drat convenient being able to reply from anywhere, esp the lock screen.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

echobucket posted:

Quit sperging about clearing out the task switcher. Not all of those apps are running anyway. I only kill things when they are misbehaving. The OS does a great job of managing that stuff for the most part.

Thanks for being a huge dick about it. I'm sorry my personal preferences are not the same as your own.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Actually, those icons in your switcher do not represent "open" apps. They only represent your app history. Sure, some of those apps may be still stored in memory, or even still using CPU cycles if you closed it within the past 10 minutes and it is downloading a file or something else critical, but most of them have long gone to the place running apps go to die and cycled out of memory.

edit: Beaten, minus the more nerdy explanation. Also, this:

https://vimeo.com/34660348

Ohhhhhh ok, is this a new functionality to 6? 5.1.1 seemed to not handle the app switcher in the same way, and with multiple apps, 6+ open, I could see my available ram dwindle, but in 6, I've noticed the functionality that you describe. No appreciable slowdown or anything like that.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

Thanks for being a huge dick about it. I'm sorry my personal preferences are not the same as your own.

Ohhhhhh ok, is this a new functionality to 6? 5.1.1 seemed to not handle the app switcher in the same way, and with multiple apps, 6+ open, I could see my available ram dwindle, but in 6, I've noticed the functionality that you describe. No appreciable slowdown or anything like that.

Just like on a computer "Available" ram is useless wasted ram. And yes, 5.1.1 behaved the same way. I believe iOS has ALWAYS behaved this way. In iOS 4 they added background tasks. The OS suspends apps when they go into the background unless they are doing specific tasks (playing music, location tracking or a 10 minute grace window (to download stuff for example)). And the OS removes them from memory when it needs more memory for another app.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 31, 2013

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

cornface posted:

What's the name for these tweaks?

I'm mostly dedicated to jailbreaking for F.lux :(

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

echobucket posted:

Just like on a computer "Available" ram is useless wasted ram.

I don't know why you are being such a stiff about it. It's not like I'm waging a war against open apps. We were voicing cosmetic issues we had, etc, and I mention a cosmetic issue. Why don't you just stop, and leave me alone.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

I don't know why you are being such a stiff about it. It's not like I'm waging a war against open apps. We were voicing cosmetic issues we had, etc, and I mention a cosmetic issue. Why don't you just stop, and leave me alone.

I'm not trying to be mean about it. It's a common misconception that having lots of "available" ram is a good thing. It's not really and I was trying to explain why.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Blimpkin posted:

It's not a "personal preferences" thing, unless you're really concerned hiding something in your most-recently-used apps list. Apps in the task switcher usually aren't running at all, and "killing" them does nothing. If they are running, force-killing them through some kind of task manager software probably isn't a good idea, because they've specifically asked for extra time in the background and probably have open resources that shouldn't be left dangling.

The fact that the vast majority of iOS users, including every single iPhone 5 user who doesn't work on jailbreak development or at Apple, get by without a comprehensive way to monitor running applications might tell you something.

e:

Blimpkin posted:

This is a thread about the guts of iOS, so if somebody comes in with a time-wasting misconception about iOS behavior people will probably say something. Nobody's been especially rude to you or stalked you across threads or anything.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 31, 2013

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
e: ^^^^ Well, look, I'm not trying to extend this, but my problem was with the fact that echobucket called me a sperg, and insulted me, while snidely throwing out why i was wrong.

The other response I responded to, and changed my view.

echobucket posted:

I'm not trying to be mean about it. It's a common misconception that having lots of "available" ram is a good thing. It's not really and I was trying to explain why.

Look, you called me a sperg in the first loving sentence you said to me. Going back and editing your posts to seem more informative when really all you wanted to do is put me in my place, doesn't help.

I'm sorry I seemed to have a misconception about the way background apps are managed but I even said that in my first post, which you neglected to acknowledge, proceeding to insult me.

Sure, you're not trying to be mean about it, but it sure felt like I was "doing it wrong" to you.

e: VVVV At least I didn't mention anything about OTA updates.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 31, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
drat, do people always get this bitchy close to a new jailbreak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

pseudonordic posted:

drat, do people always get this bitchy close to a new jailbreak?

It appears so. And I didn't follow the jb people on twitter for a reason..

• Locked thread