Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

8 years and hasn't reached sustainability

no make that 9

quote:

For Lorem Ipsum founder Matt Mankins, it’s innovate or die.
After nine years of embracing the marriage of a digital world with a brick and mortar store, the owner of the Inman Square shop is reimaging a way to pull the used book business from red to black.

Mankins, an MIT grad, said he never shied away from the vast world of online retail, but embraced it right from the beginning by listing all of the books online as well as in the store. But just a few weeks ago on Nov. 25, Mankins put out an appeal on a Hacker News discussion forum for someone else to take over the struggling business.

“Lorem Ipsum benefited from a custom-coded inventory system that automatically listed our inventory for sale at other online partners like Amazon.com. It was fun to use, efficient, and worked,” Mankins wrote on the site. “For a while there, it looked like the dual-listing was the answer to the bookstore’s problems. Then supply-ballooned [sic], demand remained the same, and prices dropped.”

Mankins said the store needed a “radical change in thinking” to re-imagine the bookstore of the future. To do that, Mankins said he’s prepared to ask his customers to subscribe, turning the store into part-library, part-traditional bookstore.

“We’re going to focus on some of the experiential parts of the store – the things that make it special,” Mankins said. “The content is still special, but it’s more than that now.”

Repeat customers will be able to choose from three different pricing models: a “Netflix” tier priced at $7.99 per month where customers would be able to check out books as if from a library; at $25 per month, customers can check out as many books as they want but also receive a percentage off books they decide to keep, and would receive a discounted rate for in-store events; and at $100 per month, subscribers would also give access to a “writer’s room,” or a daily writing session along with an unlimited pass to all of the in-store events.

Mankins also said the store would focus on the events to make them “more premium.” If it works, Mankins said he hopes to take the model and allow other bookstores to join in with an “I-believe-in-bookstores” campaign.

Lorem Ipsum volunteer-turned-employee Mitch Broesder said the store already had a steady following of regulars who frequent the shop.

GameCube fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i keep trying to read this article but every time i get to lorem ipsum my brain assumes its a fake article and stops

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
good thing its a fake business

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
ian would probably be a good junior ux designer but he aint a founder

also, ty mods for my av :]

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Al! posted:

i keep trying to read this article but every time i get to lorem ipsum my brain assumes its a fake article and stops

that's exactly what happened to me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

led lightning

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Werthog 95 posted:

CALLING ALL BOOK LOVERS, SUPERHEROS, AVENGERS

quote:

Break it down for folks in more detail:

$23,300 goes to back rent.

lol

quote:

If we don't reach our entire goal, we will use the money for rent.

uh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this was his plan b. his first idea was asking hacker news to buy it

quote:

I started Lorem Ipsum Books 9 years ago with the belief that bookstores were an important part of our community--and that they needed to innovate in order to survive.
Freshly out of graduate school at MIT the bookstore was started with the notion that integrating Internet-sales into a traditional brick-and-mortar bookstore was the way forward for small retailers. Rather than run from technology, we were going to embrace it to provide a new sales channel. With a group of friends I built this new way forward, creating Lorem Ipsum Books in Inman Square, Cambridge.

Lorem Ipsum benefited from a custom-coded inventory system that automatically listed our inventory for sale at other online partners like Amazon.com. It was fun to use, efficient, and worked. For awhile there, it looked like this dual-listing was the answer to bookstore's problems. Then supply-ballooned, demand remained the same, and prices dropped.

We tried many things, but were unable to get the store from red to black.

They just deleted our Wikipedia page, citing progress as being 'unremarkable'. Clearly something has to be done...

It's time to innovate again.

The bookstore needs fresh ideas, a radical change in thinking, and a reimagining of the role of the bookstore in the future. I don't want to shut the store down, but may be forced to. Instead, I'm looking to pass the store to other keepers--other innovators--hands.

I write to Hacker News to ask if anyone knows anyone in the Cambridge or Boston area that would be interested in this project?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al! posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ian McLean posted:

Statpedia will be successful, and then once it is, I am going to build humanoid robots where people can upload the skills to an iStore and sell them on an online market. Then I can eat a different dish every day of my life because Google cars bring the materials to my robot. If everyone is buying everyone else's food dishes on this iStore, not to mention any other type of skill, it will create a new global economy of people buying other peoples robot skills.

i love you

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i feel like that should be bannable

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
furry christian rapture fantasy?

yeah that's a ban

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
RIP install gentoo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
can someone explain what ian's whole plan was with the python script?

like did anyone dig in enough to fine some coherent chain of thought or are we at the victor/how!! equilibrium of effort:pathos?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

50% of the world left because of furries

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

JawnV6 posted:

can someone explain what ian's whole plan was with the python script?

like did anyone dig in enough to fine some coherent chain of thought or are we at the victor/how!! equilibrium of effort:pathos?

i believe the plan was print_money()

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

the plan was to programatically click on a federal reserve advert on google which would run up their ad costs and gogole would demand millions of dollars off the federal reserve because of the clicks

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
and the federal reserve would pay google all those monies and then google would spend that money on innovation or something

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

since when did 50% count as "apocalyptic"?

pretty sure the only change you'd even notice would be slightly less traffic

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Cryin Burnigan posted:

kinda figured i was being "trolled" still gotta try though cause untreated mental illness really upsets me

i'm p sure there's some untreated mental illness there, trolling or not

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweevo posted:

im pretty sure its supposed to be the Left Behind series except everyone's a furry.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So if ian's a troll what was the all the statpedia kickstarter poo poo about, either that part was real or he was gonna bounce with $20k if he got funded

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

i believe in ian mclean

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Werthog 95 posted:

ian owns gently caress the haters

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
ian did your doppelganger work on retro city rampage

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Its me im Olivier Lapicque

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Olivil posted:

Its me im Olivier Lapicque

buttplug tracker

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i am ben bernanke irl and ian has showed me the error of my ways

i will be officially starting tomorrow feb 1st a new program called qeftk quant easing for tech kickstarters to provide liquidity to this productivity engine in our society

do you know of any cool tech kstarters where i can drop some gs ian?????

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

seriousposting in yospos, but losing just 10% of the world population would probably catastrophically crash the world economy for decades. unless that 10% were furries, when only the sellers of mascot outfits would feel the pinch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bookstores are going to be a thing of the past before long

Retail bookstores charge like 30-40% more than Amazon for the same book (even assuming you're buying a physical copy for some reason), and used bookstores try to get 40-50% for someone's dogeared old book so

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

So if ian's a troll what was the all the statpedia kickstarter poo poo about, either that part was real or he was gonna bounce with $20k if he got funded

to make us believe

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Retail bookstores charge like 30-40% more than Amazon for the same book (even assuming you're buying a physical copy for some reason), and used bookstores try to get 40-50% for someone's dogeared old book so

but the paperyus is far more warm and comforting than the iron touch of an Amazon Kindle~

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

TOOT BOOT posted:

you could say this about any kind of store

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

poty posted:

you could say this about any kind of store

Yeah but Kindle books can be impulse purchased and downloaded in 20 seconds

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe it's really him but he was making fun of us making fun of him makes you think

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Maybe it's really him but he was making fun of us making fun of him makes you think

i think i'd rather believe he just started speaking in tongues randomly

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Sparta posted:

also, ty mods for my av :]

urw

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

if ian is a troll i love him even more now considering he got 500 bucks out of it from kickstarter

the best troll is a profitable one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

polpotpi posted:

if ian is a troll i love him even more now considering he got 500 bucks out of it from kickstarter

the best troll is a profitable one

if your time is worthless

• Locked thread