Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I'm not seeing the funny side.

I think the joke is 'gently caress Alex Salmond' so it's probably hilarious if you agree with that opinion. The Guardian don't seem to be massive fans, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Crameltonian posted:

I think the joke is 'gently caress Alex Salmond' so it's probably hilarious if you agree with that opinion. The Guardian don't seem to be massive fans, to say the least.

I mean, why did they make the font for the word "rule" so small? You can't even see it behind Salmond's head.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Generally :thejoke: is some people read it as rule and some people read it as gently caress. Depending on what you came to depends on your opinion of the whole Scottish independence.

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

quote:

In a shake -up of police the Home Secretary has announced that it will be possible for chiefs of police from other countries to work here.

quote:

“Okay, Guys. Listen up. The Brits want me to kick rear end over in the UK. But don’t worry, It’s a reciprocal arrangement…”

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 31, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Bell/The Guardian is a poo poo on Scottish independence. :thejoke:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

It's because Alex Salmond is getting a bit OCD about the wording.

quote:

Alex Salmond accepts election watchdog's criticism of original wording as well as its proposed campaign spending limits.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/election-watchdog-slam-alex-salmonds-1559841

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I know what the "joke" is. I highly doubt Bell's come up with a rorschach test for Scottish independence. The Guardian have been reliably terrible about independence coverage, except that latest piece where Kevin McKenna, who'd been smearing mud all over the place with terribly misinforming pieces, converted to independence.

EDIT: Re Daily Heil. Like any NY cop would use the word "reciprocal".

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

I know what the "joke" is. I highly doubt Bell's come up with a rorschach test for Scottish independence. The Guardian have been reliably terrible about independence coverage, except that latest piece where Kevin McKenna, who'd been smearing mud all over the place with terribly misinforming pieces, converted to independence.

EDIT: Re Daily Heil. Like any NY cop would use the word "reciprocal".

Generally because most newspapers and all English based newspapers are pro union, which I guess is why Salmond tried to befriend Murdoch like every Prime Minister has tried to do since Thatcher. Also The Guardian generally is 'liberal' most the time. Rowson and Bell are mostly right but I learnt growing up that no-one has the 'right' opinion 100% of the time. Like with Political parties, if everyone had a perfect political party we'd have 50 million or so political parties, which I agree with but this is used a lot to keep the status quo of 3 neo-liberal party style which I hate.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 31, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

It's because Alex Salmond is getting a bit OCD about the wording.

As did the No campaign before him. Both sides will try and get the wording that will most benefit their side, this is not a shock.

Bell has been a poo poo about Scotland on multiple occasions and it's a little tiring.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

As did the No campaign before him. Both sides will try and get the wording that will most benefit their side, this is not a shock.

Bell has been a poo poo about Scotland on multiple occasions and it's a little tiring.

I agree, it reminds me of the AV vote which Rowson summed up.

Just replace AV with Independence and Cable with Salmond.

And yeah Bell is a Unionist.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 31, 2013

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

The thing that surprises me about the Scottish referendum is that the rest of the UK don't get any say in the matter. Maybe if they end up voting 'stay' then the rest of us should get a vote to see if they're allowed to. Maybe on renegotiated terms, like the (possibly) upcoming Euro referendum...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GTO posted:

The thing that surprises me about the Scottish referendum is that the rest of the UK don't get any say in the matter. Maybe if they end up voting 'stay' then the rest of us should get a vote to see if they're allowed to. Maybe on renegotiated terms, like the (possibly) upcoming Euro referendum...

This is not how self-determination works.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

GTO posted:

Are you loving serious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

GTO posted:

Baroness Symons agrees with you:

the BBC posted:

In the Lords, Labour's Baroness Symons called for the whole United Kingdom to be included in any plebiscite.

During question time, she asked Advocate General for Scotland Lord Wallace: "The break up of the United Kingdom will affect all of us throughout the United Kingdom.

"Will we all have an equal right to have our views known and why not through a referendum?"

Realistically residence is the only eligibility criteria that's workable, but I know a number of Scots who're pretty upset that I for instance (Scottish but born and grew up in England so my accent is all wrong) will be allowed to vote just because I live here, whereas True Scotsmen like their Uncle Jim who lives in Canada won't get a say. Don't even get them started on residents originally from the rest of the EU. This is probably a stupid derail though, I think there's an independence thread over in D&D.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 31, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Coohoolin posted:

Are you loving serious.

It's about time England had some say in the way Scotland is run.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

English people voting on the independence is silly, its like if Britain wanted to leave the EU and everyone in The EU having a vote on whether or not they leave. (I'd not want Britain to leave the EU but that is one of the things that first came to my head.)
The one thing I do find weird is a friend of mine who is in the Navy who lived his whole life in Scotland but because he is in the Navy had to move to Portsmouth a couple of years ago isn't allowed to vote because he has to be living in Scotland in the 3 years before the vote happens. Or something along those lines, whatever the rules are he will be unable to vote.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 31, 2013

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I've heard a fair number of people trying to argue that both Scotland and the UK-remnant would have to re-apply to everything following Scottish independence, because the UK would no longer exist and England/Wales/Northern Ireland would be a new entity just like Scotland. If, and only if, that was the case, then the referendum should certainly be nationwide, just like the consequences. But that's also a really lovely approach to international legal theory, so keep the Scottish vote to the Scottish people.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Freudian posted:

I've heard a fair number of people trying to argue that both Scotland and the UK-remnant would have to re-apply to everything following Scottish independence, because the UK would no longer exist and England/Wales/Northern Ireland would be a new entity just like Scotland. If, and only if, that was the case, then the referendum should certainly be nationwide, just like the consequences. But that's also a really lovely approach to international legal theory, so keep the Scottish vote to the Scottish people.

From the news I've heard from the EU England/Wales/Northern Ireland wouldn't but Scotland will and because of the Spanish and other EU countries which have areas that want to become Independent like Catalonia they want to make it as hard as possible for Scotland. They will be put in a waiting queue to join the EU also its said any country to join the EU will have to take up the Euro.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/...dhat_101212.pdf
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20664907

quote:

The president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, has said that any new independent country would have to apply to join the EU.

The president's comments came despite Scottish ministers insisting an independent Scotland would negotiate its position "from within".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21195630

quote:

Ireland's European affairs minister has said an independent Scotland would need to apply to become a member of the European Union.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, that seems an unlikely scenario. According to this interview at least, Scotland would have to reapply and the rest of the UK would remain the UK and continue as before.

BBC Hardtalk posted:

Interviewer: The Commission has made it clear that any country, a country like Scotland, that would choose to be independent, would need to reapply for EU membership. When you think about how that would work, would it just be nodded through, do you think?

Jose Manuel Barroso: "Look, I did not comment on specific situations of member states because I very much respect that it is their right, their sovereign right to decide about their organisation.

"Now, what I said, and it is our doctrine and it is clear since 2004 in legal terms, if one part of a country - I am not referring now to any specific one - wants to become an independent state, of course as an independent state it has to apply to the European membership according to the rules - that is obvious."

Interviewer: "So, it has to renegotiate its terms?"

Jose Manuel Barroso: "Yes."

Interviewer: "And is it renegotiating those terms from inside, as a member of the EU, or is it effectively reapplying from outside the EU?"

Jose Manuel Barroso: "We are a union of states, so if there is a new state, of course, that state has to apply for membership and negotiate the conditions with other member states......

Interviewer: "So if, and I am using the example of Scotland, and I appreciate you are not talking about specifics, but say a country like Scotland, it, say, chooses independence, it is then like a new state applying to the EU?"

Jose Manuel Barroso: "For European Union purposes, from a legal point of view, it is certainly a new state. If a country becomes independent it is a new state and has to negotiate with the EU.

Interviewer: "What about the rest of the UK that is effectively left behind by Scotland's independence...."

Jose Manuel Barroso: "That is the principle of the continuity of the state, in that case if a...."

Interviewer: "Would it have to renegotiate its terms?"

Jose Manuel Barroso: "No, no in principle no."

Bolding mine. Of course nobody is sure yet and I've no doubt that there are hordes of legal experts just waiting to get their teeth into this should independence look like something that's going to happen.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Fluo posted:

its like if Britain wanted to leave the EU and everyone in The EU having a vote on whether or not they leave.

Except that would be fine, because our vote to leave would be enthusiastically ratified by 98.9% of EU citizens voting "gently caress off then and good riddance".

Fluo
May 25, 2007

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Except that would be fine, because our vote to leave would be enthusiastically ratified by 98.9% of EU citizens voting "gently caress off then and good riddance".

But it wouldn't really be fair, since most of us would want to stay? D:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Coohoolin posted:

I'm not seeing the funny side.

It's a bit cleverer than it looks, it's a visual pun. A nickname for Alex Salmond is "wee Ec'" (short for Alec, which is short for Alex, which is short for Alexander - we'll never use a whole syllable up here if we can help it). I'll leave you lads to figure the rest out for yourselves. :smuggo:

But yeah, Bell's never come up with a caricature for Salmond beyond "Scottish", which is a bit of a shame because the fat bastard could do with a better lampooning.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Murderion posted:

the fat bastard could do with a better lampooning.
Now this is something I find genuinely confusing. Why? What's so bad about Salmond? What is it about him that gets people's sashes in a twist?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Coohoolin posted:

Now this is something I find genuinely confusing. Why? What's so bad about Salmond? What is it about him that gets people's sashes in a twist?

I'm a Scot who's swithering over independence, but Alex Salmond always comes across as a self-publicist and full of talk. My impression of him is very much a populist, and his cosying up to Rupert Murdoch is something I intensely dislike. Still, the SNP have done lovely things with not cutting everything and I definitely support them over Labour and (holy poo poo they're nuts) the tories.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Coohoolin posted:

He has the same relationship with big business as toilet paper does with the rest of us, see Trump et al. Also he seems to know slightly less about post-independence Scotland's EU position and defense policies than the average poster in this thread.

To be fair, he and his party is good on policy for the most part, and all around they're far more politically savvy than the rest of the clowns in Holyrood (with the possible exception of ~*Annabelle Goldie~*~, although she's a Tory). I just said it because I'd like to see a decent caricature of him, really.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Uhm. You do know it was Michael Moore that got Trump into Scotland in the first place.

I don't understand this "populist" stuff. Is it populism to propose policies that benefit the populace? Surely not, the negative connotions to populism (i.e. demagoguery) are in appealing to the populace on issues that are harmful to them (racism, protectionism, exclusionism, etc).

Sure, I'll grant you that the low corporate tax stance isn't agreeable. But I still have a hard time understanding where this intense dislike comes from. For context, I grew up in Switzerland and came to Scotland three years ago. My first impressions of Alex Salmond were those of an eloquent and informed speaker, a talented debater, a straightforward propagandist (this is a good thing- avoiding doublespeak and waffling is very rare among politicians), and a genuinely committed and optimistic guy. So he needs to rub shoulders with some nasty people. With the extent of the anti-independence bias that exists within pretty much every mainstream publication, Murdoch is kind of the only place he can actually go. It's a shame, but don't blame Salmond for that- blame Unionist tabloid media.

I understand the need to criticize politicians, I really do, I just find it weird how Salmond seems to inspire more hatred than Cameron and Clegg at times.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

My first impressions of Alex Salmond were those of an eloquent and informed speaker, a talented debater, a straightforward propagandist (this is a good thing- avoiding doublespeak and waffling is very rare among politicians), and a genuinely committed and optimistic guy. So he needs to rub shoulders with some nasty people. With the extent of the anti-independence bias that exists within pretty much every mainstream publication, Murdoch is kind of the only place he can actually go. It's a shame, but don't blame Salmond for that- blame Unionist tabloid media.

This was pretty much said with Tony Blair / Murdoch in the late 90s (but replace Unionist with Tory). :shepface:

Also don't forget all that Leveson stuff.

With all politicians you praise them when they are good, rail at them when they have been bad. It's a dangerous point to get to when having to come up with excuses for a politician you like when s/he has done something bad. I had to deal with people who voted Lib Dem but were coming up with excuses on why Clegg went back on the student pledge. :suicide:

Guardian:

David Cameron's trip to Libya

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

quote:

Charles and Camilla have tried for the first time in 27 years travelling by tube.

quote:

“I don’t understand. Charles and Camilla said it was quite jolly.”

Fluo fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 1, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

I use the Tube about once a year on average so I don't see what this is getting it. Travelling on the Tube is... bad? Not fun?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Crameltonian posted:

I use the Tube about once a year on average so I don't see what this is getting it. Travelling on the Tube is... bad? Not fun?

Full of minorities.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Crameltonian posted:

since the "drawing a fat man with a big nose as a fat man with a big nose is antisemitic" thing, i've been applying to every cartoon. mac scores four jewish stereotypes there, and most of his new york cops on his previous cartoon.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Murderion posted:

It's a bit cleverer than it looks, it's a visual pun. A nickname for Alex Salmond is "wee Ec'" (short for Alec, which is short for Alex, which is short for Alexander - we'll never use a whole syllable up here if we can help it). I'll leave you lads to figure the rest out for yourselves. :smuggo:

But yeah, Bell's never come up with a caricature for Salmond beyond "Scottish", which is a bit of a shame because the fat bastard could do with a better lampooning.

I'm really stupid and I can't work it out even with your explanation. Is it something to do with 'Ec' sounding like 'feck'?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo that Mac one is like Where's Wally of racist cariacatures. Except you don't have to look very hard because they're everywhere. I mean, look at that bottom left corner. Christ.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Surprised by the lack of Burkas in that DM one

But going by Mail logic , they probably get gold plated taxis (paid by the taxpayer), or they don't have jobs to go to because they are stealing all your benefits

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

ClownSyndrome posted:

Surprised by the lack of Burkas in that DM one

Where's Wally of racist caricatures indeed.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
ah, I stand corrected!

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

Full of minorities.

Welp, I'm not as good as picking up on racism as I thought. Saw the minorities and just thought 'well duh, it's London'. I was assuming it was some banal comic about how people don't talk to each other on the Tube or something...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

David Cameron's trip to Libya

I know it's Libya and not Iraq, but is this a reference to that statue?

Crameltonian posted:

Welp, I'm not as good as picking up on racism as I thought. Saw the minorities and just thought 'well duh, it's London'. I was assuming it was some banal comic about how people don't talk to each other on the Tube or something...

It is a banal comic about people not talking to each other on the Tube, but Mac is awful and can't help but draw bigoted poo poo even when that's not what the cartoon is about. Or at least that's my (probably over charitable) interpretation.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
If you type "Jesus on a tube train" into GIS Charles and Camilla are the third result.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

If you type "Jesus on a tube train" into GIS Charles and Camilla are the third result.

Ahaha what the gently caress! :psyduck:

Guardian:

Cameron's African adventure.

Parody of Edward Linley Sambourne's famous "Cecil Rhodes bestriding Africa."

Stephen Collins :frogc00l:

And this thing.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 2, 2013

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I love that Collins comic.

Donk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

After Gustav Courbet's Beunos Dias Señor Courbet, although the why escapes me.

• Locked thread