Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Just say the mask is Magic and changes voices, it's not that hard writers.
Then they have to hire a separate VA. Also in Japan having a woman voice a young man is actually pretty common and not much of a giveaway at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said Real Marth is voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa and you sure as gently caress ain't mistaking that voice for him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I love how Duel Attacks have given a whole new dimension to dying because you got a crit and killed the enemy, letting another one attack and kill you. Now Dual Attacks can do that too!

drat it, MU, Cordelia could only survive the one attack :negative:

Also, Vaike has so far refused to get pretty much anything but near perfect levels, which is fantastic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Also, Vaike has so far refused to get pretty much anything but near perfect levels, which is fantastic.

Somewhere in the process of making this the word Vaike lost all meaning.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tae posted:

Just say the mask is Magic and changes voices, it's not that hard writers.

The thing is, it's supposed to actually be rather obvious she isn't Marth, in-universe. Even the characters pick up rather quickly on the fact that a lot of things don't add up and she isn't doing that good a Marth impersonation, Falchion or no.

Also, Vaike time, best time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I haven't actually used Valke in any of my runthroughs. Maybe I should for my next one.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Francis posted:

Regardless of the questionable assertions, factual inaccuracies, and low score, that dude's prose is a crime against language. I cannot believe he gets paid for this poo poo.

Don't worry, it's Paste, there is an extremely good chance he was paid in "exposure". Which is roughly what that review is worth.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Looking at some of the English Localizations:

Falaflame is Valflame.

Jerome is Gerome.

Loran is Laurent.

Chambray is Yarne.

Good Growths is Aptitude.

Magnificent Flame is Ignis.

Crimson Curse is Anathema.

Swanchika is Helswath. (:allears:)

Secluded Lady is Demoiselle.

Il is Waste.

So much greatness contained in one game... I'm actually somewhat jealous of you Americans now.

So I'm mostly trying to think of what my main team will be, once I get it. Chrom, Avatar, and Lucina will certainly be mainstays, and so will Morgan... and that's as far as I've got.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I have to say that I'm kind of in love with the localisation, and it makes me want to email Vincent about reworking the FE12 patch since it hardly compares.

Also Lucina is totally the coolest and I'm not entirely sure why I'm so sure of it but I am.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm short on cash for a while, I hope those swag as heck Fire Emblem 3DSs last for a few months. Fingers crossed!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Looking at some of the English Localizations:

Falaflame is Valflame.

Jerome is Gerome.

Okay, the others are fine, but isn't Fala a northern God if memories saves me right? But yeah, that's not a big problem if a reference from an unreleased game is gone. However, Gerome is ridiculous. I mean the name is Jérome, so why change it to make it more "fantasy name"?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

Then they have to hire a separate VA. Also in Japan having a woman voice a young man is actually pretty common and not much of a giveaway at all.

That's common in every single country, actually.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Iceclaw posted:

Okay, the others are fine, but isn't Fala a northern God if memories saves me right? But yeah, that's not a big problem if a reference from an unreleased game is gone. However, Gerome is ridiculous. I mean the name is Jérome, so why change it to make it more "fantasy name"?

From Serenes Forest:

Fala
- Völva [Vala]: (Norse) a priestess or shaman.

So Valflame works fine.

Gerome is in fact a real name. A French painter's surname was also Gérôme, and I suppose that's why he's named Gerome, to match Cherche.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I guess this is kind of weird, but the only thing that really interests me about this game is seeing how they localize the names of characters from older Fire Emblems.

edit: Ichival is Yewfelle. Balmung and Gungnir are the same.

Sir Ilpalazzo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 31, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Has the first set of streetpass characters gone out, or will that not happen until the 4th? In Japan the first set was FE4 first gen, but I presume they'll swap the order around so we get FE7 or something instead.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Folt The Bolt posted:

From Serenes Forest:

Fala
- Völva [Vala]: (Norse) a priestess or shaman.

So Valflame works fine.

Gerome is in fact a real name. A French painter's surname was also Gérôme, and I suppose that's why he's named Gerome, to match Cherche.

Well, the first one doesn't really bug me and the new etymology is neat, but I still find rather weird to change a perfectly valid name. I wonder if they'll change it back for the french version, though, because while I know quite a few Jérome, I never met a Gérome. Oh well. Game's still balls.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Matthew Mercer confimed to be the voice of Chrom.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well poo poo, it sounded so much like Roger Craig Smith to me, that I forgot Matthew Mercer existed, now I feel kind of bad because he's a pretty good VA. Oh well, thankfully since this is a Nintendo game they're actually gonna credit the VAs.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

Jerome was some guy's name in FE7, iirc. Maybe they wanted to differentiate from that?

VVV Goddamn slightly dissimilar names! :argh:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 31, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Strange Quark posted:

Jerome was some guy's name in FE7, iirc. Maybe they wanted to differentiate from that?

Nope, that was Jerme.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Does the goonmind have consensus on when it's best to promote/reclass? Level 20, or after getting the second skill of a class?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I got my preorder in a bit late and now it won't be here until the 6th. :argh:

Oh well, at least I'll have time to finish Sacred Stones.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Shlapintogan posted:

I got my preorder in a bit late and now it won't be here until the 6th. :argh:

I'm in the same boat.

Since I don't own any 3DS games I'm considering buying Super Mario 3D Land via the eShop to pass the time. Or maybe I'll just wait it out and save the money.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mordecai posted:

Does the goonmind have consensus on when it's best to promote/reclass? Level 20, or after getting the second skill of a class?

My gut feeling here is that it might be better to reclass ASAP, because then you'll be storing less levels and thus your EXP gains will be hampered less in your new class, but I don't know exactly how that stored levels system works so I could be completely off here. Another factor would be whether the class you're in has growths that complement your end vision for the character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I would guess that if you're on normal difficulty (where stored level cap is 41, I think) you would want to change as soon as you hit the second skill, until you hit the cap, at which point going all the way to 20 won't hurt and would actually make your stats higher (and therefore progress easier) in subsequent classes. I know on Lunatic the cap for stored levels is something like 91, so you won't hit that cap for a long time, so I'd reclass soon as it's affordable, really.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My gut feeling here is that it might be better to reclass ASAP, because then you'll be storing less levels and thus your EXP gains will be hampered less in your new class, but I don't know exactly how that stored levels system works so I could be completely off here. Another factor would be whether the class you're in has growths that complement your end vision for the character.

I was told it's better to hold off longer on reclassing, at least early on, because class change items are expensive. If you don't do the extra grinding you wont have the extra money to keep up. That apparently changes lategame though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's also worth factoring in weapon ranks, since an E isn't enough for iron weapons, just bronze. I'm thinking that if you want to reclass into a new first tier, it'd be best to do it at 10.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Goddamn, there are some people out there on the internet who are really, really upset that Casual Mode even exists, despite the fact that they're going to play Classic. I guess this is why people make Lethality Streetpass teams.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Levantine posted:

I was told it's better to hold off longer on reclassing, at least early on, because class change items are expensive. If you don't do the extra grinding you wont have the extra money to keep up. That apparently changes lategame though.

It also matters if you want to pass on anything specifically to the children characters and still have them usable. Their recruitment opens up about halfway through the game, but if you don't get Galeforce until the end of the game then they're pretty useless coming in at level 10 unpromoted with two chapters left to go and the difficult optional DLC months away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nakar posted:

Goddamn, there are some people out there on the internet who are really, really upset that Casual Mode even exists, despite the fact that they're going to play Classic. I guess this is why people make Lethality Streetpass teams.

Entitlement for manbabies is a really annoying thing that I've come to notice for whatever reason just recently.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So I've been playing The Sacred Stones (thanks ambassador program!), and I've gotten a few chapters in, I'm curious, are there sections where you can replay battles later on in the game?

And thanks goodness I can get my Fire Emblem fill, I'm reconsidering my decision on playing casual mode because of it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fancy Hat! posted:

So I've been playing The Sacred Stones (thanks ambassador program!), and I've gotten a few chapters in, I'm curious, are there sections where you can replay battles later on in the game?

And thanks goodness I can get my Fire Emblem fill, I'm reconsidering my decision on playing casual mode because of it.

The only repeatable "maps" is the Tower that will unlock later in the game. It's basically a dungeon with 4 floors or so that fully unlocks about chapter 16 IIRC. It's the only FE that you can grind freely without using money or an arena.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fancy Hat! posted:

What do you mean by "replay battles"? There are skirmishes on certain maps, and there are two locations designed to allow you to grind up your weaker members, but you can't redo plot chapters or anything.

Tae posted:

The only repeatable "maps" is the Tower that will unlock later in the game. It's basically a dungeon with 4 floors or so that fully unlocks about chapter 16 IIRC. It's the only FE that you can grind freely without using money or an arena.

Try 8 floors.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Nakar posted:

Goddamn, there are some people out there on the internet who are really, really upset that Casual Mode even exists, despite the fact that they're going to play Classic.

People like that annoy me. Casual Mode is optional and it's going to sell better because of it being included.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

This is completely bewildering to me. I will never ever touch Casual Mode (well... maybe if I want a less stressful Lunatic run or something) but it doesn't hurt me in the slightest that it is there. It's like the Super Guide or whatever. As long as it is completely optional then I don't give a drat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Any Skirmish that spawns on the world will let you replay the map with monsters instead of whatever was there originally too.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I asked this in the general FE thread and didn't get a complete answer, so here goes: Does Casual Mode change anything other than the omission of permadeath? I'm thinking I should choose it for a less frustrating experience, but was wondering if it lowers the ingame battle difficulty as well or omits other important features.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Behonkiss posted:

I asked this in the general FE thread and didn't get a complete answer, so here goes: Does Casual Mode change anything other than the omission of permadeath? I'm thinking I should choose it for a less frustrating experience, but was wondering if it lowers the ingame battle difficulty as well or omits other important features.
No. Other than permadeath, Casual and Classic are identical.

The only difference that I can find is that apparently beating the game on Lunatic Casual will only unlock Insane Casual, and you need to beat Lunatic Classic to unlock Insane Classic. Or so I am told!

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Behonkiss posted:

Nope, everything else stays the same, so even Lunatic+ on Casual mode would still be crazy difficult.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

The two above me are big fat liars, because Casual does change another thing: it allows you to save and keep going in the middle of battles, like in FE10. Other than that, identical.

theshim posted:

The only difference that I can find is that apparently beating the game on Lunatic Casual will only unlock Insane Casual, and you need to beat Lunatic Classic to unlock Insane Classic. Or so I am told!

I've never heard of anything like this. You're in no way penalised for playing casual.

• Locked thread