Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

Slay Loren L. Coleman, wear his flesh, and do things once thought impossible!

Do this. I have no idea who Loren L. Coleman is, but I'm always strongly in support of slaying, flaying, and skin-wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zeroisanumber posted:

Do this. I have no idea who Loren L. Coleman is, but I'm always strongly in support of slaying, flaying, and skin-wearing.
Probably the most prominent Battletech novel writer going today. Important enough to be able to write entire books, but obviously not beloved enough to be worth putting on an authorial endangered list like the Stackpoles of the world. He hasn't committed any written warcrimes though; maybe flay and wear the flesh of Pardoe instead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

Slay Loren L. Coleman, wear his flesh, and do things once thought impossible!

But he's one of the good better adequate less awful authors. Can't I just wear Robert Thurston as a hat?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Then Robert Thurston would be touching you. Why would you want that?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Reboot Battletech to like 3025 or something, delete Clan Wolf, and bam(!) immeasurably improved universe.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Reboot Battletech to like 3025 or something, delete Clan Wolf, and bam(!) immeasurably improved universe.

Then the falcons become the author insert clan, are ruined and the same thing happens. STACKPOLE CANNOT BE SATED WITHOUT HIS MARY SUE TIE INS OKAY.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Axe-man posted:

Then the falcons become the author insert clan, are ruined and the same thing happens. STACKPOLE CANNOT BE SATED WITHOUT HIS MARY SUE TIE INS OKAY.

The clans in general have an air of Sueness about them. They are a genetically optimized warrior culture focused on glory and honor that operates on a fairly effective meritocracy; despite inhabiting marginal worlds with little preexisting infrastructure, they managed to not only retain Star League tech but dramatically improve upon and produce it. When they invade the Inner Sphere, they manage to capture huge swathes of territory, despite their massive logistical and numerical disadvantages. When they are finally defeated, the Inner Sphere finds that it, for some reason, can't figure out how to mimic Clantech without incurring great expense, yet the clans holding territory in the Inner Sphere are able to continue doing so.

Honestly, the fact that the invasion was as successful as it turned out is evidence of their Suedom to me.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just turn them into Zentradi and the circle of Battletech will be complete :dukedog:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is no quick and easy fix.

BattleTech is going to have to either make a clean break and start fresh with whole new factions; or admit that they'll be saddled with legacy mechanics and balance issues.

If they do reboot in 3250, they should honestly go with "engine, heat sinks, and armor advances have rendered the old overpowered weapons less powerful so now things are basically the same as they were in 3025" and then do a complete rebalance; rather than MW:DA's "We don't know how `Mechs work, so everyone is fighting in walking space tractors."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I still say the idea behind a Dark Age was the right one, where a centralizing and de-escalating authority collapses (really the story of the original star league collapse, writ small), but they can't do that again at 3250 without making it look like they're just desperately taking a second crack at the Dark Age. As such, a century of peace and some major tech upgrades that makes the old generation of war-tech obsolete is probably the right way to do it.

Getting back to a 3025 feel of mechs being rare and precious really requires either a hundred years of peace to let everyone slowly demilitarize/advance past existing arsenals or a century of absolute, bloody succession war that nukes the setting back into the stone age.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A Fifth Succession War where some inbred Davion decides to wipe his rear end on the Ares Conventions would probably do the trick nicely, yes?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

fool_of_sound posted:

The clans in general have an air of Sueness about them. They are a genetically optimized warrior culture focused on glory and honor that operates on a fairly effective meritocracy; despite inhabiting marginal worlds with little preexisting infrastructure, they managed to not only retain Star League tech but dramatically improve upon and produce it. When they invade the Inner Sphere, they manage to capture huge swathes of territory, despite their massive logistical and numerical disadvantages. When they are finally defeated, the Inner Sphere finds that it, for some reason, can't figure out how to mimic Clantech without incurring great expense, yet the clans holding territory in the Inner Sphere are able to continue doing so.

Honestly, the fact that the invasion was as successful as it turned out is evidence of their Suedom to me.

It makes more sense when you realize that the Clans are supposed to represent the Mongols threatening your medieval world. Granted, they decided to switch things up and have their Mongols invade Norway, Japan, and Germany rather than the more historical Russia and China axis that you'd have gotten at the Marik/Liao border, but even so that was more or less the plan. And since the thing that made the Mongols nigh unstoppable on the battlefield was the mobility, accuracy, and range of their horse archers over the armored knights who were their opponents, the Clans got faster 'mechs with targeting computers and better pilots as well as longer ranged guns. No matter that the Mongols developed they way they did because they didn't have the resources that the "civilized" nations did but you would need equivalent or better resources to develop better 'mechs the way the Clans do. By god the Mongols came out of nothing to threaten the world, and so shall the Clans! Hell, the Clans even had the death of the Great Khan forcing everyone to go home to pick a successor that actually happened to the Mongols in history.

Granted, there are some pretty stark differences. For one thing, the Mongols were masters of breaking their enemies' coalitions against them apart by playing on barely papered over rivalries. The Clans, on the other hand, were so inept at this kind of diplomacy that they managed to forge a new Star League to fight against them. Furthermore, the Mongols had a zero tolerance policy towards resistance. If you resisted after they gave you a chance to surrender, they burned your whole city to the ground and killed everyone who lived there. The closest the Clans had to that was Turtle Bay, and they only did it the once. Obviously that's because they wanted people to be willing to play the new factions (and thus, buy the new miniatures and TROs with Clan stuff in it) and couldn't have the Clans be as ruthless as their historical counterparts lest they drive away most of the players. Also, they couldn't have the Clans be as effective as the Mongols because they'd win, and you can't ever have anyone win for real in a game setting like this or else there wouldn't be a game.

You know, how no one plays in 2700 to do "police actions of the Star League".

Anyway, the point is that the Clans are just flimsy versions of Space Mongols who get some of the advantages that the historical ones get because that's how it was in history. Frankly, I'd prefer it if they did full reboot back to 3025 and either do away with the Clans entirely, or if you must have them, at least rework them to something more interesting and less stupid than Space Mongols with the serial numbers filed off.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 31, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jng2058 posted:

Anyway, the point is that the Clans are just flimsy versions of Space Mongols who get some of the advantages that the historical ones get because that's how it was in history. Frankly, I'd prefer it if they did full reboot back to 3025 and either do away with the Clans entirely, or if you must have them, at least rework them to something more interesting and less stupid than Space Mongols with the serial numbers filed off.

But the Mongols are cool! Historically speaking; I imagine they sucked for anyone in their way. And in all honesty, the Clan invasion is a massive failure. They capture, what? 20% of the IS, and never get anywhere near Terra? Dangerous, sure, but they simply don't have the resources to fight the sheer numbers the IS can produce.

Really though, the Clans tech edge makes at least as much sense as the way politics and the nations of the IS worked, people just like to pick on them because of the dumb eugenics poo poo they added on top of that. Kerensky was able to see all this tech-murder bullshit coming and, playing off the pride and self-righteousness of mechwarriors in general, built a society that wouldn't just nuke everything in warfare. It's basically how the Japanese nobility constrained the Samurai caste from just murdering everyone: some guys wrote a bunch of stuff about how things were when they were kids young, noble Samurai. They got a lot of old, powerful nobles and samurai to smile and nod about how it was all very true and then suddenly it stuck and you end up with this idealized version of Bushido everyone knows today. Obviously being a true model samurai wasn't something that people did, but it worked to keep things more stable so you didn't have people killing each other left, right, and center. Kerensky basically pulls the same trick so that his little fragment of humanity won't blow itself up. It's weird because you have a career military guy who didn't give a poo poo about anything besides stompy robots creating his ideal society, one that perpetuates combat without risking the society itself in any real way. It's like a twisted version of Valhalla for the Clan warriors.

Well, anyway, if you're not actively killing your tech base, and scientists are around doing their thing anyway, you're going to get better and better tech. It's kind of what really loving smart people do, they just invent poo poo. Honestly, the IS having lost drat near everything makes even less sense, given the sheer numbers of people in the IS and how spread out they'd have been. It works for the setting though, so, whatever. More reasons for stompy robots to shoot each other is always good.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

You're assuming that someone is going to grab TRO 3085 off the shelf and not at some point notice that it's just a fluff book which is somewhat of a flawed premise. The starter box is a fine introduction to the game, and it's pretty much the de-facto thing for any wargamer to buy when looking at a new system. Your conclusion is solid, but really? Mentioning GW as an example or not maintaining compatability? Dude..... just no.
People totally do pick up TRO 30XX off the shelf with no idea how BT works other than having maybe played MW4 years ago. It's a book full of pictures of giant robots, and 3085 is the most attractive print TRO since... ever, really. People like giant space robots.

But no, I'm not talking about picking up TRO 3085 with zero understanding of the game. I'm talking about the learning curve between a standing start and being able to understand the latest CGL news release. The gap between Tech 1 and Tech 2 is large, and Battletech is very complex for a wargame even at Tech 1. I don't see why you're discarding GW out of hand, when they sell a very similar game and haven't shrunken down to a tiny rump fanbase.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

2750 is awesome, mang. It was basically 3025 scale combat but with better tech and everyone dressing up their units in pirate costumes so they can pretend not to know. "Police actions of the Star League" actually turned out to be awesome.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

The closest the Clans had to that was Turtle Bay, and they only did it the once.

On that scale? Yes.

The Smoke Jaguars were pretty big on putting resistors to the sword though, and the other Clans did too to some degree or another. For all the talk about Clan Wolf having the lightest footprint, they'd still shoot the hell out of protestors.

Then again, shooting rioters is pretty much one of the things Inner Sphere powers go out of their way to hire mercenaries to do.

But anyway, this discussion is getting pretty far afield of things that are directly relevent to the thread. I don't want to discourage people from talking about BattleTech, but we're not here to solve Catalyst's problems.

Edit: I'll start the update process as soon as I get home from work. Discussion about the canon BattleTech universe is still A-OK, but try not to scare new readers away with huge essays. We have a megathread for those.

VVV Well, huge essays about canon are totally OK. Huge essays about how Catalyst is loving up probably belong in the megathread.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 31, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Huge essays are some of the best parts of this thread. Which reminds me...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

2750 is awesome, mang. It was basically 3025 scale combat but with better tech and everyone dressing up their units in pirate costumes so they can pretend not to know. "Police actions of the Star League" actually turned out to be awesome.

I would be delighted if they restarted Battletech back during the SLDF. SLDF/C* mechs are some of my favorite, and gently caress the Periphery always. The setting would be a lot better if it involved more Periphery torment.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I would love that, unironically. That'd let people have their military games and have "It's broke and passed down from father to son" game simultaneously. Plus, we'd get to see more Camerons Behaving Badly while the SLDF struggles to keep things from falling apart and a menacing personage from outside manipulates things to his own ends.

I am, of course, referring to one Mr. Jerome Blake.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was kinda surprised that Blake seems semi-decent in the 2750 books. He comes off a lot better than Kerensky for sure.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

I was kinda surprised that Blake seems semi-decent in the 2750 books. He comes off a lot better than Kerensky for sure.

Blake was just trying to keep the interplanetary phones working. A humble man with a humble ambition. It's those who came after him that started loving things up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The original ComStar source book is a good read for early Blake stuff. It has the revised Focht history and WoB "truth" edits.

Vvvv: That's putting it lightly.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 31, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

landcollector posted:

Blake was just trying to keep the interplanetary phones working. A humble man with a humble ambition. It's those who came after him that started loving things up.

Conrad Toyama is the king of jerks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I'm twisting things intentionally. If we're talking a reboot I don't any advantage in keeping everything the same. Just enough to keep things familiar.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

Eh, most of the other Hegemony leaders who were supposedly "just trying to keep things together" were wildly self-aggrandizing like DeChevelier or totally unable to do anything that wasn't smashing things and killing people like Kerensky. Blake actually seemed like he had his poo poo together.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm twisting things intentionally. If we're talking a reboot I don't any advantage in keeping everything the same. Just enough to keep things familiar.

I think it's more of a twist to have something associated with Blake be both competent and beneficent.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 31, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ That'd be Amaris's role.

Speaking of twists, the next political update is going to be fun. I've missed them.

Update process is beginning!
Update status: Nobody has died (yet)!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blake and Amaris can be the only reliable narrators. They are portrayed so poorly in future literature because they forgot to hire someone to spin things for them.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Political updates are the most wonderful thing. Look at how bananas our Inner Sphere has become due to goon interference.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Someone very important is going to die.

VVVVV Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Victor Steiner-Davion New Avalon wgah'nagl fhtagn

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 31, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is it a dimension-hopping VSD? Please say it is!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Primus seems like a stiff wind could do that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Would I ever kill off anyone so obvious?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

I would be delighted if they restarted Battletech back during the SLDF. SLDF/C* mechs are some of my favorite, and gently caress the Periphery always. The setting would be a lot better if it involved more Periphery torment.

No Vindicators in the Star League days so your idea is terrible (sorry.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVVVV Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Victor Steiner-Davion New Avalon wgah'nagl fhtagn

Someone drops Vlad Ward's beaker.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

You know, how no one plays in 2700 to do "police actions of the Star League".
Reuinifcation War and Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1 are literally this. They are awesome.

Cease to Hope posted:

People totally do pick up TRO 30XX off the shelf with no idea how BT works other than having maybe played MW4 years ago. It's a book full of pictures of giant robots, and 3085 is the most attractive print TRO since... ever, really. People like giant space robots.

But no, I'm not talking about picking up TRO 3085 with zero understanding of the game. I'm talking about the learning curve between a standing start and being able to understand the latest CGL news release. The gap between Tech 1 and Tech 2 is large, and Battletech is very complex for a wargame even at Tech 1. I don't see why you're discarding GW out of hand, when they sell a very similar game and haven't shrunken down to a tiny rump fanbase.
Because GW are stuck using legacy products from at this point three editions back, their core rules haven't significantly changed since oh.... 1999 or so and when you get right down to it, their business model is "for every adult that realises they're on a hamster wheel of codex creep two twelve year olds walk into the shop with their birthday money". Their incremental changes to the latest versions of their core games have been "hey 2nd ed was awesome, let's play that again" and "gently caress yeah random everything! People like random, gently caress strategy AMIRITE?". IE: they are terrible at sustainable game design, great at selling toys to kids.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

RIP Korean Robert. Your death shall not go unavenged.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! /vader

VV: Second place is the same as first loser in my book. :colbert:

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^^^Mine's better.

KnoxZone posted:

Noooooooooooo!!!

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 31, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Would I ever kill off anyone so obvious?

The obviousness is what makes it surprising. Because I know that you know that everyone suspects it so they know that you know you won't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

The obviousness is what makes it surprising. Because I know that you know that everyone suspects it so they know that you know you won't do it.

That's it. We've hit peak PTN, game over.

• Locked thread