Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Also, for Chicagoons, Day of the Living Ales tickets are on sale now: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/318927 I bought one for the day session.

I've never been to this. Any experience? Is it worth the $45? Not much info seems to be available right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

I've never been to this. Any experience? Is it worth the $45? Not much info seems to be available right now.

I thought there was some really cool stuff last year. It ranges from cask versions of some decent beers (BCS, Zombie Dust, etc) to crazy stuff that Goose Island, Half Acre, Two Brothers, 3F, etc brew up just for this.
For example this was one of the GI beers last year (off the chibeer website): saison aged in oak barrels with fresh strawberries, honey, and Champagne yeast.

Also some people that are pretentious about the 'true beer' or whatever the poo poo.

E: That said, I'll only go this year if my Dad wants to for his birthday again. Don't really feel like spending 50$ on it.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 31, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mahoning posted:

Never been. I'm glad you have good things to say as my last trip to a brewery in Michigan (Founders Fest) was not an enjoyable experience.

Are you going anywhere else in Michigan? If you hit up Ann Arbor let me know, I could meet you at Jolly Pumpkin or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Are you going anywhere else in Michigan? If you hit up Ann Arbor let me know, I could meet you at Jolly Pumpkin or something.

You know, honestly that might work, but I'll be with other people so I'd have to convince them. My girlfriend and I are visiting another couple that lives just north of Detroit and we'd be driving through Ann Arbor to get to Marshall anyways (right? I'm just going by Google Maps) so maybe we can hit up Dark Horse in the early afternoon and Jolly Pumpkin on the way back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mahoning posted:

You know, honestly that might work, but I'll be with other people so I'd have to convince them. My girlfriend and I are visiting another couple that lives just north of Detroit and we'd be driving through Ann Arbor to get to Marshall anyways (right? I'm just going by Google Maps) so maybe we can hit up Dark Horse in the early afternoon and Jolly Pumpkin on the way back.

Assuming you'd be taking 94 to get there then yes, you'd be going right through Ann Arbor. I'd definitely recommend it as a great place to hit up for dinner as well, they have some of the best food in town imho.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Assuming you'd be taking 94 to get there then yes, you'd be going right through Ann Arbor. I'd definitely recommend it as a great place to hit up for dinner as well, they have some of the best food in town imho.

Yeah it definitely was my favorite place to take people from out of town. Any word on a Spring Sour, Sirotan? :)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've heard rumors of a Biere De Mars grand reserve this year but nothing substantiated. I've never been to JP - been hoping to go when there's GR release on...

edit: Looks like Day of the Living Ales afternoon session is sold out. Evening session likely to follow.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 31, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah it definitely was my favorite place to take people from out of town. Any word on a Spring Sour, Sirotan? :)

I should email Ron Jeffries again to ask him. His reason last year was lack of time/space, and since they are in the middle of their move right now I don't have much hope... :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

I've heard rumors of a Biere De Mars grand reserve this year but nothing substantiated. I've never been to JP - been hoping to go when there's GR release on...

I still have one, perhaps two bottles of the last BdM GR. It's probably one of the best beers I have ever had... The La Roja GR was terrible in comparison.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Oskar Blues in is in the running for Worst Idea with a Chardonnay barrel aged Czech pils (because nothing tastes better than buttery flavors in a pale lager, right diacetyl?)

There is nothing inherently buttery about Chardonnay. The diacetyl in a Chard comes from malolactic fermentation and there are ways to manage malolactic fermentation so that there is little to no diacetyl in the finished wine. I've had plenty of Chardonnays that have gone through full malolactic that have no perceptible diacetyl.

That being said, putting a Czech-style Pilsner in any sort of barrel sounds like a terrible idea. It's such a light, clean style and I don't see how you could put it in a barrel without either ruining it or overwhelming the flavor of the base beer.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Now that I have regular access to Oskar Blues again, I am kind of realizing they aren't really that great of a brewery. If you remove the canning and general marketing, I think you are left with a pretty good APA, a drat good imperal red thing, a good stout, a terrible pils, a gross DIPA (Gubna), a really sweet scotch ale, and a pretty good DIPA (Deviant).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Now that I have regular access to Oskar Blues again, I am kind of realizing they aren't really that great of a brewery. If you remove the canning and general marketing, I think you are left with a pretty good APA, a drat good imperal red thing, a good stout, a terrible pils, a gross DIPA (Gubna), a really sweet scotch ale, and a pretty good DIPA (Deviant).

The only really worthwhile thing I get from them is Ten Fidy, though it's still not as good as Founders or Stone RIS. I remember Dale's and GKnight being pretty alright though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ten Fidy is an awesome stout IMO and has the perfect mouthfeel for a stout. It's like motor oil and I love it. Wish it wasn't so damned expensive but that probably prevents me from drinking too much of it anyways.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Ten Fidy is an awesome stout IMO and has the perfect mouthfeel for a stout. It's like motor oil and I love it. Wish it wasn't so damned expensive but that probably prevents me from drinking too much of it anyways.

That was my memory of it, but then I had it once it came to Chicago and was like :(

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

According to a thread on BA, this year's Dark Lord Day will be held at the park across Calumet from 3 Floyds: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day-2013.64789/page-3#post-906182 Hoping that the tickets don't sell out as ludicrously fast so I can get one this time...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

According to a thread on BA, this year's Dark Lord Day will be held at the park across Calumet from 3 Floyds: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dark-lord-day-2013.64789/page-3#post-906182 Hoping that the tickets don't sell out as ludicrously fast so I can get one this time...

I'm pretty sure my crew of beer people are each trying for tix this year. If they snag an extra for me, I'll probably go. Otherwise, I'm not going through the effort.

RE: Oskar Blues... I think Ten Fidy is probably only second to Stone as an easily available imperial stout. I like it more than Founders (which has an anise-like flavor to me) and Expedition (TF's mouthfeel is much, much better). Wasn't impressed with the BA'd version at FOBAB, though. Other than that, I usually do a sixer of Dale's in the summer because it's best on a hot day. Deviant is really good but not a top-tier (D?)IPA, and I like Gubna but not enough for the money.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
This is pretty awesome.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

danbanana posted:

This is pretty awesome.

That's "haters gonna hate," epitomized. If I'm understanding correctly, they're basically saying anyone can brew a bitter IBU bomb, but that it takes skill to brew a balanced IPA. Then, they go and brew an unbalanced IPA to prove...they can? Despite saying anybody can do it? Oookay.

Also, the rational comeback to this is buried somewhere in a joke about Minnesota's desire for bland (balanced) beer reflected in their lutefisk and potato salad hot dish cuisine. But, I'm at work, so I'll let someone else spend time on that line of thought.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ann Arbor's largest beer beer is this dirty, dark little hole right on campus with mostly terrible service and decidedly terrible food. They're probably the most expensive place in town for beer too, recently charging $6/10oz of Hopslam the day Bell's released it. I've lived here long enough that I've been there probably hundreds of times and really want to just hate them and go elsewhere for beer releases but goddamit, how can I:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/01/bells-brewery-among-one-dozen-commissioned-to-brew-ashleys-30th-anniversary-beers/

quote:

Bell’s Brewery among one dozen commissioned to brew Ashley’s 30th Anniversary beers

(Ann Arbor, MI) – 2013 marks 30 years since the founding of Ashley’s Pub, Michigan’s premier multi-tap beer bar and a beloved gathering place for generations of University of Michigan students and alumni, Ann Arbor townies, and “beer tourists” from around the state, country, and world.

To celebrate this milestone, Ashley’s has commissioned 12 leading breweries to craft unique commemorative 30th anniversary beers, to be released throughout the year at exclusive events at both Ashley’s locations in Ann Arbor and Westland. In February, Ashley’s is partnering with another of Michigan’s most well known craft beer institutions, Bell’s Brewery of Kalamazoo.

Larry Bell himself created the recipe.

And then this is happening on Tuesday:

You keep pulling me back in, Ashley's. :argh:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I really liked Ashley's when I visited, but you're right, if I was a regular there, I think I'd die from the food before I died from excess drinking.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I honestly don't hate the food. It's just crowded, loud, expensive, and the service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. There were numerous times I didn't see a server at my table for 10 minutes after sitting down.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Is there a good resource for beer release dates? I'd like to find a calendar list or some such thing instead of combing through each individual brewer's website.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BlackHattingMachine posted:

Is there a good resource for beer release dates? I'd like to find a calendar list or some such thing instead of combing through each individual brewer's website.

If you are looking for what you get locally, your best bet is to develop a relationship with "the beer person" at your local store. They will have a way better idea about what is coming in when, or if it's a "if we get some we get some" super rare type thing, than when the brewery actually starts sending it out to the distros. If you mean for trading purposes, like actually when Alpine releases Expo Hoppiness, that's a good question.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

BlackHattingMachine posted:

Stole this from reddit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj70FMl3wKOddHhmN0NyLURsTFduVV83QVJHWWpwY0E#gid=1

Though yeah ShaneB's got a good point, the alternative version of that is to hit up your local store's facebook/twitter if they have one and occasionally inquire about what's around the bend, if they don't proactively tell their customers themselves.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

That's "haters gonna hate," epitomized. If I'm understanding correctly, they're basically saying anyone can brew a bitter IBU bomb, but that it takes skill to brew a balanced IPA. Then, they go and brew an unbalanced IPA to prove...they can? Despite saying anybody can do it? Oookay.

Also, the rational comeback to this is buried somewhere in a joke about Minnesota's desire for bland (balanced) beer reflected in their lutefisk and potato salad hot dish cuisine. But, I'm at work, so I'll let someone else spend time on that line of thought.

I'm pretty sure it's... a joke.

And good MN trolling there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

I honestly don't hate the food. It's just crowded, loud, expensive, and the service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. There were numerous times I didn't see a server at my table for 10 minutes after sitting down.

I think you're crazy because their food is just soooooooo bad. I try to coordinating eating before/after going to beer events there because it's so bad. I could probably forgive the bad food if they took care of the place at all. It's so dirty and gross, poo poo is broken all the time, I've even emailed the owner to beg them to make the women's restrooms less foul. They are the bar by which I measure pub bathrooms.

Now, if you go to their Westland location, its night and day. Food isn't amazing but isn't poo poo. It's clean, large, nicely lit. Service is decent. It boggles my mind.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!

At a glance, this is what I was after. Thanks!

I'm in a somewhat beer wasteland, not super great bottle shops or breweries within acceptable travel times, so when a limited release pops up I need to be johnny-on-the-spot to make time to get it before it's gone.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

danbanana posted:

I'm pretty sure it's... a joke.

And good MN trolling there.

Truth be told, I had the best turkey burger and sweet potato fries in my life at a place in Edina, so I can't really talk crap about the food. I've had a chance to spend a bit of time in Bemidji, though, and it's certainly a hotdish-centric environment.

Also, it's really easy to brew a big in-your-face IPA. Can be pricey, and certain hops might not always be available in the quantities needed to make a recipe year-round, but it's not hard

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

Truth be told, I had the best turkey burger and sweet potato fries in my life at a place in Edina, so I can't really talk crap about the food. I've had a chance to spend a bit of time in Bemidji, though, and it's certainly a hotdish-centric environment.

Also, it's really easy to brew a big in-your-face IPA. Can be pricey, and certain hops might not always be available in the quantities needed to make a recipe year-round, but it's not hard

I lived in Cloquet for 3 years as a teen. The food outside of the cities isn't the best, I'd agree. But better than Iowa's cuisine. Man, gently caress Iowa...

Anyway, going back to the joke... I took it as a gentle ribbing of the "West Coast" style IPA which has a tendency to prefer extreme over balance, something that you point out is very easy. Surly has definitely taken the Midwest path towards their pales, especially with Abrasive. Could have been a hop-bomb; Is definitely not. I'm always down to try what they brew. If this is a standard WCIPA, then I'd probably pass trying it again.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any tips on where to pick up Lagunitas Sucks in Chicago? Beermenus keeps redirecting me to their holiday ale for some reason...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

wattershed posted:

Which is why I personally love Pliny the Elder, it's not quite like the others and isn't in your face in the same way at all, and it's also not malty. I've given that beer to people who say they hate hops and they actually like it, and I've given it to be people that are hop obsessed and they like it at lot.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 31, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

Any tips on where to pick up Lagunitas Sucks in Chicago? Beermenus keeps redirecting me to their holiday ale for some reason...

Try this one: http://www.beermenus.com/beers/lagunitas-sucks-brown-sugga-substitute

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

wattershed posted:

I think that's just the beer they brew for Target Field repackaged. Which is fine by me, because it's pretty good and the only reason I went to multiple Twins games last year.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Dear god, I love this place:
Walgreens Bucktown/Wicker Park Flagship
12oz. 6 Pack Bottles for $11.99

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

There is nothing inherently buttery about Chardonnay. The diacetyl in a Chard comes from malolactic fermentation and there are ways to manage malolactic fermentation so that there is little to no diacetyl in the finished wine. I've had plenty of Chardonnays that have gone through full malolactic that have no perceptible diacetyl.
Oh, I know. I've also had a ton of Chardonnay that had no actual diacetyl in it, but had a "buttery" mouthfeel due to oak tannins. Those chards taste like dirt and tree to me. I really don't like heavily-oaked Chardonnay and can't see those flavors going into anything as delicate as a Czech pils without being awful. Basically:

quote:

That being said, putting a Czech-style Pilsner in any sort of barrel sounds like a terrible idea. It's such a light, clean style and I don't see how you could put it in a barrel without either ruining it or overwhelming the flavor of the base beer.
Yep. They've convinced me I need to try it to see how awful it is, so uh good job on that I guess guys? It's usually Short's that gets me in line to taste the freakshow.

danbanana posted:

I lived in Cloquet for 3 years as a teen. The food outside of the cities isn't the best, I'd agree. But better than Iowa's cuisine. Man, gently caress Iowa...
Iowa's pretty all right for some things. Iowa pork chops, for instance: in order to be called an Iowa chop, by law it has to be at least 1.25 inches thick. That's a pretty good sized pork chop. There are other gems, like driving around in summer to buy sweet corn from a farmer standing next to his field.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChiTownEddie posted:

Dear god, I love this place:
Walgreens Bucktown/Wicker Park Flagship
12oz. 6 Pack Bottles for $11.99

Was that the one carrying Cantillon Fou Foune?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
haha I don't know. But I wouldn't put it past them. It is hilarious how awesome the flagship Walgreens' are.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Ann Arbor's largest beer beer is this dirty, dark little hole right on campus with mostly terrible service and decidedly terrible food. They're probably the most expensive place in town for beer too, recently charging $6/10oz of Hopslam the day Bell's released it. I've lived here long enough that I've been there probably hundreds of times and really want to just hate them and go elsewhere for beer releases but goddamit, how can I:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/01/bells-brewery-among-one-dozen-commissioned-to-brew-ashleys-30th-anniversary-beers/

Larry Bell himself created the recipe.

And then this is happening on Tuesday:

You keep pulling me back in, Ashley's. :argh:

Can't wait for them to charge $12 per 6 ounce pour on the last 3 on the list.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Was that the one carrying Cantillon Fou Foune?

No, that was the Greektown one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So, Hopslam. I haven't had it, but tomorrow will get to enjoy it on tap. For free. :whatup: