Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Docjowles posted:

VMware also just put out a vCenter plugin to create and manage all your support requests, including automatically grabbing and anonymizing log files. Seems like the kind of thing that should have been created 4 years ago but better late than never.

Just installed this and it works great.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
VCAP-DCA Scheduled for PEX let's see what this does

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Corvettefisher posted:

VCAP-DCA Scheduled for PEX let's see what this does
It'll get you a job offer that you turn down.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

It'll get you a job offer that you turn down.

I'm one of the ones who likes CF. He doesn't seem to want a new job.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So due to lack of documentation at my new place, I have no idea device names/IPs for the thin clients our users are connecting to our View environment with.

Does anyone know a way to pull this from View?

Edit:

Ah gently caress me, was just informed by our "PC Tech" that she has not been joining any thin clients to the domain because it is pointless. Her suggestion to get the View Client updated? Walk around and manually do it. We have like 8 different sites. :fuckoff:

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 28, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Moey posted:

So due to lack of documentation at my new place, I have no idea device names/IPs for the thin clients our users are connecting to our View environment with.

Does anyone know a way to pull this from View?

Edit:

Ah gently caress me, was just informed by our "PC Tech" that she has not been joining any thin clients to the domain because it is pointless. Her suggestion to get the View Client updated? Walk around and manually do it. We have like 8 different sites. :fuckoff:

The IP will be stored in 'HKCU\Volatile Environment' in 'ViewClient_IP_Address' on the virtual desktop they're connected to.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

three posted:

The IP will be stored in 'HKCU\Volatile Environment' in 'ViewClient_IP_Address' on the virtual desktop they're connected to.

Thank you kind sir!

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
Question for the masses.

I've come from a large Hyper-V Past, however it has always been through the use of Gold Partner licensing to deploy our environments.

With a startup now, setting up some infrastructure and my next task is an HA cluster. Hardware is older but solid (BL460's in a C7000) EVA 5000 (Old but solid) and Brocade 4GB Fibre Switches

I've used this same hardware spec with Hyper-V without any issues, however I'd like to avoid licensing costs as much as possible. 99% of what we will virtualize will revolve around CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian.

Any recommendations on a free HA setup with live migration, etc? From what I can tell I can use Hyper-V Server 2012, add HA, FC, MPIO and call it a day. I have some Server 2012 licenses I can use to manage it with a GUI.

Have also looked into XenServer, however from what I can tell I need Advanced to support HA, and ESXI seems as if I need vCenter server (familiar with it) but required for HA,

Thoughts? Ideas?

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1
Am I correct in the assumption that with an upgrade from vSphere 4.1 to 5.1, single sign on does NOT pull in existing AD users and groups once my existing AD server is added as a source?
After the vCenter part of the upgrade is complete, all AD users will lose their ability to authenticate unless manually recreated in SSO?

Surely I'm making some sort of rookie mistake because that poo poo is stupid.

Edit: Oh, autodiscovery failed during inital SSO install, so apparently I should run this to fix things : C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\utils> rsautil configure-riat -a discover-is --simulate -u admin

Trouser Mouse Bear fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 29, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

Am I correct in the assumption that with an upgrade from vSphere 4.1 to 5.1, single sign on does NOT pull in existing AD users and groups once my existing AD server is added as a source?
After the vCenter part of the upgrade is complete, all AD users will lose their ability to authenticate unless manually recreated in SSO?

Surely I'm making some sort of rookie mistake because that poo poo is stupid.

Edit: Oh, autodiscovery failed during inital SSO install, so apparently I should run this to fix things : C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\utils> rsautil configure-riat -a discover-is --simulate -u admin
Once SSO is installed your users will need to authenticate using DOMAIN\username instead of username. Everything else should sort of just work, though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I've got everything I need but one SAS/SATA cable because the eBay guy sucks, but I have enough parts to get most of the VMs up and running. Network looks like this now:

pfSense is using e1000e; I guess VMXNET 3 support there is a bit weird still. I have it running fine on CentOS and Solaris, though on Solaris it keeps making GBS threads out tons of irritating messages into syslog (non-fatal/important, just info messages). There's no need/benefit to giving pfSense direct HW passthrough of vmnic0 is there?

vmnic1 is the 2nd NIC on the machine, and it'll be disabled when the machine is deployed; its just nice for me to hook into it at home and use vSphere easily. For remotely accessing ESXi management though, are there ports I can forward in pfSense, or do I have to get a VPN tunnel type deal going?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think I just posted this at you on Facebook, but I finally got vmxnet3 working in pfSense after beating my head against it for a long time - the open-vm-tools package is broken and has been for well over a year apparently. This post has a step-by-step guide that works perfectly.

Why disable vmnic1? Concerned about someone trying to plug into it at the colo?

vSphere client doesn't really work well on forwarded ports alone; enable the PPTP VPN on pfSense and use that to manage it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

movax posted:

pfSense is using e1000e; I guess VMXNET 3 support there is a bit weird still. I have it running fine on CentOS and Solaris, though on Solaris it keeps making GBS threads out tons of irritating messages into syslog (non-fatal/important, just info messages). There's no need/benefit to giving pfSense direct HW passthrough of vmnic0 is there?

vmnic1 is the 2nd NIC on the machine, and it'll be disabled when the machine is deployed; its just nice for me to hook into it at home and use vSphere easily. For remotely accessing ESXi management though, are there ports I can forward in pfSense, or do I have to get a VPN tunnel type deal going?

Yup that's how the network should look. You are correct Passthrough won't really benefit this setup much unless you are seeing some contention to the adapter.

Here is a list of all ports, U-427(CIM), T-443(vSphere Client), T-902(console) are needed for vSphere management. A VPN would work or you could fire up an XP/Win7 VM and forward just RDP out, but that might be a bit overkill for managing vSphere.

E also anyone else going to PEX? If so PM me.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 30, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just make sure that vSwitch0 is allowing promiscuous traffic (under the security tab - default is Reject).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

madsushi posted:

Just make sure that vSwitch0 is allowing promiscuous traffic (under the security tab - default is Reject).

Out of curiosity - what's the reasoning for this? I'm using a network configuration that looks effectively identical and I've never enabled promiscuous mode, yet it has no problems that I've encountered.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

IOwnCalculus posted:

Out of curiosity - what's the reasoning for this? I'm using a network configuration that looks effectively identical and I've never enabled promiscuous mode, yet it has no problems that I've encountered.

Promiscuous mode allows the VM to listen for all traffic on the vSwitch, including traffic not destined for it. It's a two-part process: you have to mark it as 'Accept' on the vSwitch security, and the guest has to put the NIC into promiscuous mode. I thought this had something to do with using multiple MAC addresses and firewalls doing VIP/MIP/port-forwarding, since I always have to turn it on when using virtual firewalls.

madsushi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 30, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
That is very much not what promiscuous mode does.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

IOwnCalculus posted:

vSwitches (and regular switches), by default, will not forward a frame to the virtual switch port if the destination mac address is not on that receiving end. If you don't allow promiscuous mode and are doing passive, not-inline packet inspection, you'll only end up receiving broadcast frames or those specifically addressed to the MAC address on the vNic for the vm. Promiscuous mode basically turns your vSwitch in to a hub and allows all frames passing through it to be received by all vNics attached to the vSwitch. Then it is a matter of putting your nic in to promiscuous mode inside the OS if it isn't already, otherwise frames not addressed to that receiving MAC will get dropped there as well.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002934

madsushi: What you are describing is the MAC Address Changes policy, not Promiscuous Mode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I get that much, but I also don't quite get why it would be an issue if the pfSense box was acting as the gateway as well - wouldn't all traffic between that VM and the actual WAN link be associated with the pfSense WAN MAC address?

Networking is not my strong point :shobon:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If your pfsense box is a routable gateway then no, there is no need to have it running in promiscuous mode because it is funneling all your traffic regardless. If you were doing packet inspection then I would, because you could theoretically could have some kind of worm that knew to only go host to host and stay inside the subnet while avoiding gateway devices where the inspection typically happens. But that is a massive if and I doubt you need to be concerned about it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Anybody have issues with Windows templates on vSphere 5.1? I had an existing 2008 R2 template that I brought over, and when I deploy a VM from it, it won't join the domain, and the local admin password is not correct (obviously the latter probably causes the former). I rebuilt it from scratch, but it does the same thing. Is there something new with 5.1 that I'm not seeing?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

Anybody have issues with Windows templates on vSphere 5.1? I had an existing 2008 R2 template that I brought over, and when I deploy a VM from it, it won't join the domain, and the local admin password is not correct (obviously the latter probably causes the former). I rebuilt it from scratch, but it does the same thing. Is there something new with 5.1 that I'm not seeing?

Can you verify the templates are generating unique SID's?
psgetsid, in command prompt should give you the sid.

When you are able log into the virtual machine is the admin password blank on the templates?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Corvettefisher posted:

Can you verify the templates are generating unique SID's?
psgetsid, in command prompt should give you the sid.

When you are able log into the virtual machine is the admin password blank on the templates?

I can't log in with the password I set or with blank. I guess I could use the DVD to reset it but ugh. I just wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I can't say I have seen that issue in 5.1, for shits and giggles I would say build a template with 2008R2 SP1 install.

E:And I assume you aren't doing anything funky when you sysprep it right?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 30, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Erwin posted:

You're letting it sit for a while to do the configuration and automatic reboot right? For whatever reason my templates are really slow so after the initial boot they will sit at a logon prompt for about 5 minutes before executing the automated sysprep and reboot. One time I foolishly logged in before that reboot happened which disrupted the whole process and left the VM in a state similar to what you are describing.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yup, I learned that the hard way when we started with 4.1. I found someone online saying that after upgrading, that process took much longer (like 20 minutes) so I'm cloning another VM and will let it sit overnight.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Has anyone used VM Explorer for low-cost disaster recovery replication of VMs?
I'm just looking to replicate a couple of Hyper-V hosts to our COOP site on a SMB budget, and VM Explorer seems to be the best cost:features ratio, but that also leaves me wondering.

Anyone used it with Hyper-V?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I just posted this at you on Facebook, but I finally got vmxnet3 working in pfSense after beating my head against it for a long time - the open-vm-tools package is broken and has been for well over a year apparently. This post has a step-by-step guide that works perfectly.

Why disable vmnic1? Concerned about someone trying to plug into it at the colo?

vSphere client doesn't really work well on forwarded ports alone; enable the PPTP VPN on pfSense and use that to manage it.

Giving this a try, but running into some issues. Had to set a different package path or something to get the compat modules to install, and looks like the VMXNET 3 modules aren't working properly in pfSense (won't get DHCP IPs, etc). :(

e: OK, got VMware tools installed, but the WAN VMXNET3 NIC won't get an IP whatsoever, and the LAN NIC won't respond to requests. Maybe I'll just stick with e1000 then.

movax fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 31, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just remembered, I'm running on the beta version (currently 2.1-BETA1 (amd64) built on Tue Jan 29 16:45:07 EST 2013). Wonder if that has anything to do with it. :downs:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

. sorry wrong thread.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

incoherent posted:

Dell storage rep: Buy very soon or wait till we go private.

whaaaaaaaaaa

Haha what.

I hear Michael Dell wants to take the company private again, wonder what that would have to do with their product lines.

E: gently caress it, doesn't matter, probably still relevant for Dell servers as well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I read that's what he wants to to. They've bought a poo poo ton of companies, if not for their IP. He was really excited, and by extension he people who work there, to go private.

In the context of storage (and the wrong thread!), he said there was ton of neat IP they're developing with said company buyouts. I would assume the slow time table of gestation is not very investor friendly.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 31, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just remembered, I'm running on the beta version (currently 2.1-BETA1 (amd64) built on Tue Jan 29 16:45:07 EST 2013). Wonder if that has anything to do with it. :downs:

Ooh, it might, I'll give that a try tonight perhaps.

Now the only really irritating thing is that syslog spam under OpenIndiana where its dumping some debug poo poo or something every 30 seconds or so, how often does VMWare update VMware tools?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Per the extremely professional diagram below, if I have Switch A and Switch B patched, will VMware report that my storage paths as "partial/no redundancy" even though I do have multiple unique paths?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

What IP ranges and subnet masks are you using here? I'm assuming this is iSCSI and not NFS, correct?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What IP ranges and subnet masks are you using here? I'm assuming this is iSCSI and not NFS, correct?

It's iSCSI going between an ESXi host and a Nimble SAN. Entire iSCSI network is a single class C network 192.168.X.X/24

Does that status within vSphere depend on seeing two different subnets to determine the paths?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
I thought the status within vSphere was dependent on the vSwitch having more than 1 NIC connected..

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Have you tried re-initalizing HA?

Are you using Software or hardware Iscsi?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 1, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Moey posted:

It's iSCSI going between an ESXi host and a Nimble SAN. Entire iSCSI network is a single class C network 192.168.X.X/24

Does that status within vSphere depend on seeing two different subnets to determine the paths?

The /24 subnet mask is your problem. The iSCSI initiator wants to see every vm kernel reaching every accessible iSCSI target serving your luns. In your case, a vmkernel on 192.168.1.100 (for example) will only be able to hit targets in the 192.168.1.x subnet, 192.168.[2-254].x is completely inaccessible because the connection thinks in needs to route out through a gateway that doesn't exist. Change your subnet mask to /16 and it should work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
^^^ Not so sure about that... and what the hell does it have to do with HA?

Moey posted:

Per the extremely professional diagram below, if I have Switch A and Switch B patched, will VMware report that my storage paths as "partial/no redundancy" even though I do have multiple unique paths?

If you're not doing something special on those switches (like a VPC) then that's not really a good idea for iscsi traffic. Even if you are doing VPC and port-channels, IMO that's great for NFS but you should be relying on MPIO for iscsi. If you're using round-robin MPIO you'd expect fully half your traffic to traverse that link between the switches, and that's a recipe for disaster.

Proper config would be:
Two distinct networks, one for each switch
Two adapters on the host, one in each network, connected to the appropriate switch
Two interfaces on the array, one in each network, connected to the appropriate switch

Even if you're giving the host two distinct IP addresses in the same class C in that diagram, that's not good enough for redundancy.

KS fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 1, 2013