Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

You won't have to decline seeing those movies any more! You could buy a pair of 2D Glasses.... I think.

Woah, that's awesome! I need to get a pair because it really is obnoxious trying to view a 3D movie when you don't have stereoscopic vision. I also usually just don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Zeph posted:

Eh, I got NSMB2 as well and it's fun for what it is. I just wanted Mario platformer, and that's what I got. But the first time I fired up 3D Land...it reminded me of the first time I played 64 and immediately justified my purchase. That feeling only comes up with a handful of truly great games.

The 3D thing goes further than the 3DS though. 3D tv's, 3D movies, 3D IMAX, anything at all - present and future media - that uses stereoscopy is lost on me because of my dumb broken eyesight :smith:. I've had to decline going to 3D movies with friends because of it.

Can you only see on one eye? Because then you can just wear 3D glasses and watch the movie regularly (or, comedy option, duck tape on of the glasses/wear an eye patch under it). For what it's worth, I haven't seen a single movie yet where I thought 3D added anything worthwhile. It's the same dumb fad it's always been, unfortunately this time around, technology is advanced enough to make it viable at home so I guess it'll be here to stay.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Detective No. 27 posted:

You won't have to decline seeing those movies any more! You could buy a pair of 2D Glasses.... I think.
Hah, those are pretty neat, and it's interesting how they did a study that showed the right-eye image "was consistently more action packed and and humorous" than the left-eye image. What's up with that?

Katana Gomai posted:

Can you only see on one eye? Because then you can just wear 3D glasses and watch the movie regularly (or, comedy option, duck tape on of the glasses/wear an eye patch under it). For what it's worth, I haven't seen a single movie yet where I thought 3D added anything worthwhile. It's the same dumb fad it's always been, unfortunately this time around, technology is advanced enough to make it viable at home so I guess it'll be here to stay.
If I said that seeing 50/50 meant seeing equally with both eyes (normal stereoscopic vision), I'd say my eyes are 80/20. Meaning, my left eye is the powerhouse and my right eye kinda sucks, and my vision mostly comes from the left one. If I cover my right eye, it doesn't hamper me much. However, if I lost my left eye, I wouldn't be able to work (I'm a software engineer, I'd barely be able to see the code I write!) or drive nearly as well as I can normally, in fact I'd probably avoid driving altogether.
(I just made up the 50/50 scale for this example and it has nothing to do with vision quality.)

Anyway, sorry for the eye-chat derail.

Zeph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Eh, you're not missing much imo. For almost every 3DS game I've played I turned on the 3D, played for 10 minutes, went "well that was nifty!" then turned it off for the rest of my time with the game.

But yeah 3D Land is terrific. The 3D Mario team are really talented, and they put whoever is doing the NSMB series to shame. It's kind of sad that the 2D stuff sells so much better.

The 3DLand team is the Mario galaxy team which should explain a LOT. It's my favorite 3DS game by far, just as Galaxy was my favorite Wii game.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Just made the leap up to a 3DS XL and all I can say is wow, the screen is amazing. I did have to spend an hour in GAME this afternoon as the transfer crashed twice. I didn't realise but you need both systems online in order to transfer so the manager set up a portable wi-fi hot spot with his phone as their work internet was on the blink. As a note for anyone who may ever try to do this it failed twice. It went fine up until it tried to transfer the e-shop stuff but it did not want to transfer that over the hotspot.

Thankfully the manager is pretty awesome and I've bought the system straight out to do the transfer at home, (which worked this time) then tomorrow I'll go back in, get a refund then buy it again with the trade in value of my original 3DS taken off. I can't wait till march till I can play Monster Hunter on this thing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ice Climbers Was updated to the full version including the download play 2player mode. It doesn't prompt you to update if you are an Ambassador.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
If you want to read more into how Nintendo sees itself fiscally and plans to do business this year, the public briefing is here in detail.

It also hints of further additions to Street- and SpotPass in future (firmware?) updates.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked up a 3DS XL on sale at Best Buy so I would have one for the new Pokemon. Holy moly Super Mario 3D :allears: I wasn't sold on the 3D thing until I started playing this.

I definitely got the invincible tanooki on the first boss level :kiddo:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Have any of you hung on to your DSi XL's for any reason?

I've kept mine. I like the longer battery life.

Then again, I also have a GBASP, Micro, DS Fat and DS Lite. I might not be the best person to ask.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can I trade in my old 3DS for a discount towards an XL? Can I keep all the purchases and friend codes and Ambassador stuff from it if I do? Does Gamestop do the discount thing or will it gently caress me over like a large ham stuffed with peperoany and chease

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

alg posted:

Picked up a 3DS XL on sale at Best Buy so I would have one for the new Pokemon. Holy moly Super Mario 3D :allears: I wasn't sold on the 3D thing until I started playing this.

I definitely got the invincible tanooki on the first boss level :kiddo:

Nooooo you won't get the shiny stars if you pick up the invincible suit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pollyanna posted:

Can I trade in my old 3DS for a discount towards an XL? Can I keep all the purchases and friend codes and Ambassador stuff from it if I do? Does Gamestop do the discount thing or will it gently caress me over like a large ham stuffed with peperoany and chease

Yes you can trade it in toward credit on a XL. You can keep your eShop purchases and Ambassador status if you do a system transfer between the 2 systems. The key thing though is that you need an internet connection to have the systems talk to Nintendo and verify a system transfer can happen. If you have a smartphone you can use your mobile hotspot to do it. Check with the clerk at the store for any system deals. I know they gave a bonus for trade in when the XL first came out to which I took advantage of.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Pollyanna posted:

It's kind of a bad time to trade in at gamestop though, for the longest time they were giving 2x trade-in value for all systems. ( Which still only gets you $70 dollars for a 3DS I believe. ) On their website the deal changed and its $50 dollars extra and it only applies to consoles and not handhelds.

I'd rather give my 3DS away than let gamestop have it for $35 dollars.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Need a bit of advice regarding a broken 3DS. I have a non-XL 3DS purchased in November of 2011 which I only use a couple of times a month, and everything worked fine up until a couple of days ago when I all of a sudden couldn't get it to turn on anymore (the blue light won't even come on). I thought that the battery might have been dead so I plugged in it to the AC adapter, and when the charging light comes on I let it run its course, but no luck turning it on after that. I started Googling around and see suggestions about removing the battery and holding the power button, leaving the battery our overnight and no luck with any of that. I called Nintendo and tried to see if they had any idea of what was up, and the guy I talked to said he couldn't think of anything to tell me over the phone that could help me, and was really cool and extended the warranty for me since it expired two months ago. He tells me to send it in for repairs and so I ship it out to him right away.

Today I get an email stating that technician determined that the problem they've discovered isn't covered under their warranty. I read further and the technician's notes say "There is an indicator label inside the system that is activated when it gets wet. The label inside your product has been activated (changed from white to pink), which indicates liquid has come in contact with your system. It has been determined that this is the cause of the problem with your system." I can't believe this because I've never had the thing near any type of liquid, I've never had it outside, I've never had it in a bathroom or kitchen, and basically the few times I've even taken it out of my bedroom I had it in a hard shelled case to protect it. This leads me to believe that someone else must have been using it and caused the water damage without telling me. In any case, the options they give me are to pay $85 plus shipping/handling/tax, return the system unrepaired for free, or they'll recycle it for me.

My options as I see it are to pay what I'm anticipating is over $100 to Nintendo, but that'll come with a new warranty, or I've seen used 3DS consoles for about $100-120 depending on quality, but those won't come with any warranty. I've also seen main boards being sold for $50-$60 but I have no experience doing any kind of swapping of that sort. My last option is basically selling it as-is and using the proceeds to purchase an XL or something. Are these my only options at this point, and just how hard would it be swapping the main board out with a different one?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, gently caress it then, I'll keep my 3DS. It's not that big a deal to not have an XL anyway.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Rexroom posted:

If you want to read more into how Nintendo sees itself fiscally and plans to do business this year, the public briefing is here in detail.

It also hints of further additions to Street- and SpotPass in future (firmware?) updates.

It's good to see that Nintendo is actually trying to give a poo poo about countries that aren't Japan nowadays. For the longest time I always felt like they had their heads up their butt, willing to ignore the rest of the world what with their strong presence in Japan.

International 3DS sales will probably go through the roof once Animal Crossing and (especially) Pokémon X and Y are out worldwide.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

My options as I see it are to pay what I'm anticipating is over $100 to Nintendo, but that'll come with a new warranty, or I've seen used 3DS consoles for about $100-120 depending on quality, but those won't come with any warranty. I've also seen main boards being sold for $50-$60 but I have no experience doing any kind of swapping of that sort. My last option is basically selling it as-is and using the proceeds to purchase an XL or something. Are these my only options at this point, and just how hard would it be swapping the main board out with a different one?

I have no idea about swapping the guts of your 3DS, but do you have any downloaded software on it? If so, you should probably get your existing 3DS repaired. After all, Nintendo eShop purchases are tied to the system on which they were purchased, so you'll lose all those if you choose to just let your 3DS be a brick.

Laser Spider fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is it just me, or is the system rigged to not give you new puzzle pieces when you're buying them with play coins?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Laser Spider posted:

I have no idea about swapping the guts of your 3DS, but do you have any downloaded software on it? If so, you should probably get your existing 3DS repaired. After all, Nintendo eShop purchases are tied to the system on which they were purchased, so you'll lose all those if you choose to just let your 3DS be a brick.

I have some retro games that I paid for through Club Nintendo coins/points, so nothing of much value that I'll care to lose.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Is it just me, or is the system rigged to not give you new puzzle pieces when you're buying them with play coins?

It's probably mostly random. I got a long run of new pieces and then the same tile from three different puzzles.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Nooooo you won't get the shiny stars if you pick up the invincible suit.

The shiny stars do absolutely nothing so do whatever you want. :shobon:

That's doesn't mean I don't have the shiny stars though. :v:

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

ChaosArgate posted:

Speaking of the puzzles, are there any ways of getting the purple pieces other than streetpassing with others who already have them or getting them from a Mii from Nintendo through spotpass?
I guess they're meant to slowly spread through streepass, but with the rate that I'm getting them it would take forever.

In other news: just one more playthrough of Streetpass Quest II and I have all the loving hats. I'm so tired of that goddamn game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I finally upgraded to an XL today from my regular 3DS and holy poo poo I cannot get over how big the screens are. :staredog:

I was getting a bit of eye strain playing Theatrhythm and Fire Emblem the other night which kind of put me over the fence in wanting to upgrade but I am so glad I did. I really wish I had the foresight to wait for the XL in the first place instead of buying a 3DS when they were full price and not having access to WiFi when the Ambassador program was a thing.

I mean sure I probably wouldn't play those GBA games all that much but they'd have been nice to have.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ChaosArgate posted:

One you get everything in a puzzle beside the pink pieces, it stops pulling from those puzzles for the random pieces. So I just

Took me 204 coins, but I managed to get all 32 blue pieces of the Fire Emblem puzzle. Hopefully it makes someone's day next time I street pass.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I finally upgraded to an XL today from my regular 3DS and holy poo poo I cannot get over how big the screens are. :staredog:

I was getting a bit of eye strain playing Theatrhythm and Fire Emblem the other night which kind of put me over the fence in wanting to upgrade but I am so glad I did. I really wish I had the foresight to wait for the XL in the first place instead of buying a 3DS when they were full price and not having access to WiFi when the Ambassador program was a thing.

I mean sure I probably wouldn't play those GBA games all that much but they'd have been nice to have.
Did you have to have wifi during that? All I remember doing during that time was typing a number on the back of my 3DS to check if I was counted as an ambassador or not.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I got Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for like ten bucks a few days ago, spent the last few days playing it. I'm kinda surprised -- it's pretty enjoyable, especially for the price I paid for it. It's not STELLAR, but, what the hell. I am also not regretting buying an XL over a regular 3DS, except for the lack of accessories that fits the thing. I'm starving for a cheap, good case for my XL that will hold more than just 3 carts and the game itself.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
The general goon consensus (and probably the consensus everywhere else) is that Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was one of the best launch games for the 3DS.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Crawfish posted:

Did you have to have wifi during that? All I remember doing during that time was typing a number on the back of my 3DS to check if I was counted as an ambassador or not.

I honestly don't know. I barely knew much about the program at the time-- just that I needed to connect it to the internet before a date and I'd be in. Worked a ton, not many places around have free WiFi, etc. Wish I could have gotten it but... eh.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Astro7x posted:

One you get everything in a puzzle beside the pink pieces, it stops pulling from those puzzles for the random pieces. So I just

Took me 204 coins, but I managed to get all 32 blue pieces of the Fire Emblem puzzle. Hopefully it makes someone's day next time I street pass.

Wait, there's a Fire Emblem puzzle? When did this happen?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Folt The Bolt posted:

The general goon consensus (and probably the consensus everywhere else) is that Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was one of the best launch games for the 3DS.

Which is telling of how terrible the launch line up was, considering how buggy and ugly Shadow Wars is. Fun strategy game to get on the cheap, though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Which styluses should I order off of amazon if I want ones that will fit perfectly in my 3DSXL?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So, I've noticed something odd on my new 3DS XL. On the left side where I put my thumb on the circle pad, I can feel the back panel being loose. I have checked the back and everything is screwed in like it should be, but if I wanted to I could start creaking open the panel on that side if I wanted to. Is this just a known thing or do I have a defective (working) unit?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Green Puddin posted:

So, I've noticed something odd on my new 3DS XL. On the left side where I put my thumb on the circle pad, I can feel the back panel being loose. I have checked the back and everything is screwed in like it should be, but if I wanted to I could start creaking open the panel on that side if I wanted to. Is this just a known thing or do I have a defective (working) unit?

That's normal. The faceplates for both sides are screwed on in a really weird way, and especially the bottom one seems like it will quickly bend on the outside if pried even a little. It's dumb.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Astro7x posted:

I know that it stops giving you pieces once you've gotten all the buyable ones, but going through over 200 coins for one incomplete puzzle is a bit much, don't you think? Then again, what else is there to use play coins on right now?

I hope I can streetpass people with the pink Fire Emblem pieces, the 32 blue pieces look like it's gonna show an awesome looking arena battle when complete!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sire Oblivion posted:

Wait, there's a Fire Emblem puzzle? When did this happen?

It updated sometime yesterday with a new puzzle. That puzzle happened to be of Fire Emblem Awakening.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

So with Rune Factory 4 coming to America, what's the general opinion on that against Harvest Moon? I was thinking of picking up A New Beginning soon but if RF is considered better I might just wait for that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Danyull posted:

So with Rune Factory 4 coming to America, what's the general opinion on that against Harvest Moon? I was thinking of picking up A New Beginning soon but if RF is considered better I might just wait for that.

It's... different. You will find people who like both and people who like only one. Rune Factory with its focus on dungeon crawling, monster taming, battling, and more anime is different from your standard Harvest Moon solely focused on farming issues. Pick accordingly or pick both.

If you want a less laid back, more "hardcore" experience than those two can provide you will want Shepard' Crossing 2.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Basic Beater posted:

Which styluses should I order off of amazon if I want ones that will fit perfectly in my 3DSXL?

Can't find the link to one online, but I bought a DSi XL fat pen stylus (the same kind that came with the DSi XL) back when that came out, and it works extremely well with the 3DS XL.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The OP lists the Hori screen protector for the 3DS, but do they have one for the XL?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Yes they do. I bought one but still haven't used it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

pandaK posted:

The OP lists the Hori screen protector for the 3DS, but do they have one for the XL?

I was able to grab one off Amazon for like $7 from Hori for the XL.

Speaking of which, I just got an XL this week and after getting some data on the 4GB SD card that came with it, I finally got my 32GB SDHC (does the HC make a meaningful difference for content on the 3DS?) and I am curious what the best way to go about transfering what data there is from the 4GB over to it.

On another note, when I was initially cruising through menus, I told the system no a few times as far as enabled SpotPass and the like--but now I can't seem to find a place to enable it and I'm worried I might miss out on stuff toting the thing around in wi-fi sleepy mode throughout the day.

• Locked thread