Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Note Block posted:

My $605 pledge also came today! I got everything CidGregor got except for the blue comment card from What Pumpkin. Awww!

My OTP is Jade/Feferi (or perhaps Meenah or HIC)

Here's my Cat with Pyralspite! I laughed hard at the "Ages 15 and up" on the tag.

That is a very excellent catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just gonna leave this here in case anyone doesn't already read Octopus Pie, and if you don't then you should.
I'd imagine this would have a lot of Karkat falling down then swearing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roger Explosion posted:

In the SBAHJ intermission the rink is defrosted back into its natural basketball arena form; guesst staerring the BIG man

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

And maybe getting gracefully suplexed into a few tables.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Note Block posted:

I laughed hard at the "Ages 15 and up" on the tag.

Yeah, a plush toy for teenagers seems weird; but actually it's because of the button eyes. Apparently, children 14 or younger are prone to tearing off the button eyes out of their dolls and plushes, swallowing them, and then choking to death. If these plushes were made for young children, they'd have to replace the buttons with a printed design or otherwise make the eyes impossible to swallow.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, a plush toy for teenagers seems weird; but actually it's because of the button eyes. Apparently, children 14 or younger are prone to tearing off the button eyes out of their dolls and plushes, swallowing them, and then choking to death. If these plushes were made for young children, they'd have to replace the buttons with a printed design or otherwise make the eyes impossible to swallow.

You know, any time someone says something along the lines of, "kids these days!" I usually roll my eyes and remind them that people have been saying the same poo poo since god drat language was invented. But if we have seriously gotten to the point where, "don't swallow buttons or button like objects!" is not a life-lesson learned by the time you are 6 then I really just have to throw my hands in the air.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The irony of the age 15+ is that Terezi, who is 12 to 13 by human standards, would not be able to own a doll modeled after her ancestor's lusus.

In fact, some of the younger hs fans wouldn't even be able to own this doll with a rating like that! drat that Hussie, selling his Age 15+ dolls to 13 year olds. :v:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'm honestly still surprised at how big those plushes are. They're huge! And all the more huggable for it. Now I'm regretting more than ever not being able to spring for any of the physical merchandise at the time.

lotus circle posted:

The irony of the age 15+ is that Terezi, who is 12 to 13 by human standards, would not be able to own a doll modeled after her ancestor's lusus.

In fact, some of the younger hs fans wouldn't even be able to own this doll with a rating like that! drat that Hussie, selling his Age 15+ dolls to 13 year olds. :v:

Homestuck is the Camel cigarettes of it's generation.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

lotus circle posted:

Perhaps. But I support keeping our precious children away from the corrupting influence of the nefarious Senator Lemonsnout, as should every right-thinking American.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I only ever remember toys with small/moveable parts having warnings like that that go like, "Not suitable for kids under the age of 3". 15 seems proper ridiculous to me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ahh yes, I remember my 15th birthday well. I suddenly lost the overwhelming compulsion to eat buttons that had kept me in its icy grip all throughout my freshman year of highschool...

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I thought it was pretty obviously a joke about the older than average people who would be buying this toy?

Super jealous by the way :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 31, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I wonder how many timelines failed due to the Seer of Mind choking to death on a drat scalemate button. Because I mean if anyone's going to be putting their mouth near those things, it's Terezi.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Seoinin posted:

I wonder how many timelines failed due to the Seer of Mind choking to death on a drat scalemate button. Because I mean if anyone's going to be putting their mouth near those things, it's Terezi.

Next intermission will start with a funeral on Make-Out Meteor. Terezi tragically choked to death on a button just two days before turning troll-fifteen.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Then the rest of the Act will be Karkat sitting backwayswards* in a chair, rapping with the audience about aids age appropriate toys.

*also known as "youth pastor-style"

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Seoinin posted:

Then the rest of the Act will be Karkat sitting backwayswards* in a chair, rapping with the audience about aids age appropriate toys.

*also known as "youth pastor-style"

Someone please create a fan-comic featuring Karkat as a youth pastor.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Failboattootoot posted:

You know, any time someone says something along the lines of, "kids these days!" I usually roll my eyes and remind them that people have been saying the same poo poo since god drat language was invented. But if we have seriously gotten to the point where, "don't swallow buttons or button like objects!" is not a life-lesson learned by the time you are 6 then I really just have to throw my hands in the air.

Every year we try and push out another standard deviation. 5 people under the age of 7 choked on buttons this year? Anything with buttons is required by law to have a tag that says "recommended for ages 8 and up", and even if it doesn't you want to have it on there as a CYA measure in case the parents of the 7 year olds in question try to sue you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Someone please create a fan-comic featuring Karkat The Signless as a youth pastor.
ftfy

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The joke is that, at time of shipping, the youngest cast members (John, Jane, assorted Trolls) are fifteen or 15-equivalent.

Come on people.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

The joke is that, at time of shipping, the youngest cast members (John, Jane, assorted Trolls) are fifteen or 15-equivalent.

Come on people.

I dunno, I think they were being shipped before that.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dorroile posted:

I dunno, I think they were being shipped before that.

A6I3 took place on John (the youngest human alongside Jane)'s 15th birthday. It was also when the Kickstarter was announced.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The time of shipping is every hour of every day, forever. :sigh:

Fuckin' weirdos.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

A6I3 took place on John (the youngest human alongside Jane)'s 15th birthday. It was also when the Kickstarter was announced.

The joke is that shipping can refer both to items being in transit from vendor to customer, and to the practice of supporting a potential relationship in a work of fiction by means of fan art, fan fiction, or stating enthusiastic opinions.

Is there anything else people need me to methodically discuss until it means nothing, or are we good for now?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Freudian posted:

The joke is that shipping can refer both to items being in transit from vendor to customer, and to the practice of supporting a potential relationship in a work of fiction by means of fan art, fan fiction, or stating enthusiastic opinions.

Is there anything else people need me to methodically discuss until it means nothing, or are we good for now?

Also fallacious, as we never met Jane before she was 15, pre-reckoning baby Jane notwithstanding. :colbert:

Scrutinize all the jokes. All of them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The joke is that kids under thirteen probably shouldn't be reading Homestuck.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Also fallacious, as we never met Jane before she was 15, pre-reckoning baby Jane notwithstanding. :colbert:

Scrutinize all the jokes. All of them.

I don't know what you're saying here. I don't know what joke you're scrutinising. I'm reading the words over and over again, hoping that relevance and comprehensibility will spring forth, like mana in the desert. But there is no merciful Yahweh here, no Moses to intercede with him on my behalf. Your post remains barren. I fall to the ground and let out a slow wail.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ariong posted:

The time of shipping is every hour of every day, forever. :sigh:

Fuckin' weirdos.

Shipping. As in the postal service.

EDIT: I'm late and also dumb I guess

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Homestuck is now a comic about adults and misery.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

YggiDee posted:

The joke is that kids under thirteen probably shouldn't be reading Homestuck.

I've got a couple of younger cousins around the ages of 11 and 15, and I do often have to wonder what content is appropriate for that age group. The elder one isn't really into the internet, games or comics, but the younger one keeps pressing me for nerdy recommendations. Eleven is too young to read Homestuck, but maybe when he's thirteen? I'd love to be the cool older cousin who recommends him the cool comics with swear words in them (as my elder cousins did for me with the Judge Dredd comics when I was thirteen) but at the same time I don't want to mess him up with bucket-based sexual euphemisms he can then repeat to my uncle and get me into hot water over.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Please don't introduce Homestuck to kids unless you want them to end up at a McDonalds, with full body paint, spitting into a bucket as their friends tape them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Introduce all kids to Homestuck always. Let's make this next generation the last. Not with a bang, but a shipper.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kids who'd embarrass themselves in public over Homestuck will embarrass themselves in public over anything else they enjoy; their friends, not the fandom, are the enablers.

It is, or at least resembles, young adult fiction; 13 or 14 would be a good minimum age. Its strong thematic emphasis on defining one's self will certainly resonate with adolescent readers, who are reliably preoccupied with exploring their own identity.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dolash posted:

I've got a couple of younger cousins around the ages of 11 and 15, and I do often have to wonder what content is appropriate for that age group. The elder one isn't really into the internet, games or comics, but the younger one keeps pressing me for nerdy recommendations. Eleven is too young to read Homestuck, but maybe when he's thirteen?

How about everyone's other favorite Flash-based cartoon that starts with "Homest", Homestar Runner? That will keep him busy for a while.

I think a 13 year old could read Homestuck and enjoy it, but in a fairly superficial way. There is a ridiculous amount of subtext there.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Dolash posted:

I've got a couple of younger cousins around the ages of 11 and 15, and I do often have to wonder what content is appropriate for that age group. The elder one isn't really into the internet, games or comics, but the younger one keeps pressing me for nerdy recommendations. Eleven is too young to read Homestuck, but maybe when he's thirteen? I'd love to be the cool older cousin who recommends him the cool comics with swear words in them (as my elder cousins did for me with the Judge Dredd comics when I was thirteen) but at the same time I don't want to mess him up with bucket-based sexual euphemisms he can then repeat to my uncle and get me into hot water over.

The kid who made "Cupcake Girl" was ten years old when he made it.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't really see anything wrong with it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think anyone too young for Homestuck would lose interest rather than repeat anything inappropriately.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

And a "fledgling brony", apparently.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I think a 13 year old could read Homestuck and enjoy it, but in a fairly superficial way. There is a ridiculous amount of subtext there.
Yeah this is my opinion on it too. Not that younger fans can't understand everything in the comic, but from what I've seen the majority of the younger fans are generally more into the romantic and shipping related portions of the comic and how cool everyone looks. It isn't exactly a secret that Homestuck's popularity exploded when the trolls were introduced and many fans admit to have skipped Acts 1-4 and go right to Act 5 on their first read (which is slightly worse than skipping the Midnight Crew intermission). The designs of the trolls and their overly exaggerated behaviors are what got a lot of people to start reading the comic all together. They can follow along with the story (most times) but rather than think about theorizing new events or analyzing the character's personalities and behaviors, they focus on what happens on the surface (like how someone looks, if there are any new shipping developments, etc) and don't delve further.

I'm not saying that Homestuck is an incredibly deep or life changing comic, but many updates do deserve second readings because of what might have been missed. Younger fans can read Homestuck and enjoy it and nothing is wrong with that, but it is very much a comic that requires some mental maturity, understanding of subtexts and other fancy literary lingo to fully grasp everything that goes on. You can criticize Hussie for a lot of parts of the comic, but you can't argue that he isn't a very good character writer and world builder. I don't think I personally would be fully able to grasp everything that goes on if I was 13 at the very least.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I grew up watching Aeon Flux as a child I loved it and I appreciate it even more now because its still really good.
You need to give kids a bit more credit. Yeah they will probably miss a few details on the first read but Homestuck is really good and worth being introduced to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

And a "fledgling brony", apparently.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a ten year old liking My Little Pony.