Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

ArtVandelay posted:

MARIANO RIVERA. THERE IS NO OTHER ANSWER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Ron Guidry is another answer and an awesome answer.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Mariano made the all star game nearly every year of his career so I used him for that category instead.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Devo posted:

If you're not using 1981 Mike Schmidt you're doing it wrong.

You're even a Philly fan for chrissakes!

gently caress you im a Boggs man

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Mike Schmidt is a superior slugger with a superior mustache

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mike Schmidt could only pound down 30 cans of beer on a cross country flight.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Mike Schmidt could only pound down 30 cans of beer on a cross country flight.

So you're saying he's a little less than half of a Wade Boggs?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What are the odds this is actually Nick Piecoro? http://www.whatifsports.com/user/profile/Games/SimLeagueBaseball/?user=nickpiecoro

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
this is theoretically a stan team

it's not very good

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I thought about Bob, actually as an OFer and not as a pitcher, but wasn't sure he really fit the converted pitcher criteria since he, y'know, never stopped pitching.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

I thought about Bob, actually as an OFer and not as a pitcher, but wasn't sure he really fit the converted pitcher criteria since he, y'know, never stopped pitching.

Bob blew out his arm in early 1892 and converted to an outfielder full-time for a season and change before drinking his way out of the league. Not only does he qualify but I was wondering if anyone would realize it.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

AlleyViper posted:

his final season was at OF only but yes I checked with Jeff before using it.

I only know this because I tried to build the 1893 Reds in twist league with a rotation of Silver King/Bob fullstop

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Here I didn't even realize he played after '92, how 'bout that.

Operaterp
Apr 6, 2008

FEAR THE TURTLE.
So, what ever happened with the whole Wad526 thing? Did they discover all his fake identities? Does he get in any trouble for all of this? And did he own multiple teams in Dimaggio all those years?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

So you're saying he's a little less than half of a Wade Boggs?

42.9% of Wade Boggs, to be exact.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Operaterp posted:

So, what ever happened with the whole Wad526 thing? Did they discover all his fake identities? Does he get in any trouble for all of this? And did he own multiple teams in Dimaggio all those years?

I mean his decline started right with us becoming private and controlling who joins the world.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like we've got our Zodiac league number. Time to be depressed once Harper sucks :(

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So here is my Zodiac team. We're Talkin Hornsby, Ozzie, and the Harp! (bonus points to anyone who gets this reference)

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

ArtVandelay posted:

So here is my Zodiac team. We're Talkin Hornsby, Ozzie, and the Harp! (bonus points to anyone who gets this reference)

We're talkin' sim leagues... Dazzy and The Kid

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

We're talkin' sim leagues... Dazzy and The Kid

Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Please tell me you don't only know that as a Simpsons reference.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

ArtVandelay posted:

Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw

I just realized how much I want to make a team of only guys from that episode, would there be a better team name than that?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Please tell me you don't only know that as a Simpsons reference.

If you're talking about the Natural, i've never actually seen it, but I know all the references.

I have no idea how i've never actually seen The Natural. I'm pretty ashamed of this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

If you're talking about the Natural,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Ah yes, I do know this one, I just forgot about it. I'm just enough of a Simpsons freak that when I hear this, I always just think about that episode.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ALSnake Presents: Mariano & the Diamonds, until I can think of a better name that doesn't get owned by character limits

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

ummm how is 2003 gagne so bad?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
How did 15 K/9 2003 Eric Gagne strike out 17 over 88 innings?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Severe overuse, if I had to guess

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Severe overuse, if I had to guess

Hasn't pitched at 100% since before Christmas

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=35313644&pl=0&type=1

That team is 26-101, btw

e: I just realized that's not the worst team in this league. There is a 25-102 team with league average pitching but:

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 2, 2013

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
That sure is a thing. The "game of the week" is a DOMINICAN BOGGS OR X team getting flogged.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

There are a lot of terrible parks in this 2 man band league. Bonds outside of Coors may not be too hot.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I still haven't decided if devoting 1/6th of my zodiac league budget to Babe Ruth is brilliant or terrible

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't have Ruth and Aaron/Maddux/Kent/Schmidt on account of Ruth being AL and the rest of those guys being NL, so I hope that solves the problem for you

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't have Ruth and Aaron/Maddux/Kent/Schmidt on account of Ruth being AL and the rest of those guys being NL, so I hope that solves the problem for you

:v: Yeah, it pretty much does, doesn't it.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
My three captains in RC:

Tom Seaver: 1-8 with a 6.85 ERA
Willie Montanez: .220/.295/.430
Kenny Lofton: nearly 10M for an OPS below .800

And I'm 34-16 :what:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
1994 captain Edgar Martinez is worse than most of the bad horses

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Good players: '85 McGee, '72 Dick Allen, '85 Tudor
Bad players: basically everybody else

It's especially hard to win when not only is your bullpen this bad, but sparky mismanages it so poorly in game that Dennis Bennett regularly gets called into the game because I run out of relievers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

C'mon someone come take over TBB's prog team. You've got a good shot at the first pick.

• Locked thread