Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

gooby on rails posted:

that show was pretty awesome all the time but especially in the last season when they got to tell a continuous story instead of these five minute vignettes

watched all of these in a sitting while robotripping once, was quite pleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
jfc people i was joking about brazil being remade.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 1, 2013

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

good one. you definitely pulled the wool over our eyes with that!!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

man whatever happened to that animation studio anyways

samurai jack was p much another project, they chuggin along way before and way after

quote:

The Looney Tunes Show, The Ren & Stimpy Show, The Maxx, The Simpsons, Futurama, American Dad!, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, Star Wars: Clone Wars, The Angry Beavers, SpongeBob SquarePants, Phineas and Ferb, Pinky and the Brain, and Dexter's Laboratory.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

nigga crab pollock posted:

i think the idea of a millitary deciding that a giant flying piston machine would be a good idea for an actual strategic weapon is just lol

a near infinite supply of materials through a huge galactic empire + instantaneous ftl travel means for endless conflict. each side eventually turns to mass producing thousands of loving worthless weapons that end up seeing use because both sides are just pissing away billions of ships casue with the endless weath and unoccupied territory they are just throwing poo poo away as fast as they can make it

so because they have nothing better to do they just make a piston ship

this is basically what i was gonna post because seriously wtf is that stupid piston ship? it makes no sense at all and is really dumb

and also it's really dumb that all those securitrons just sat around waiting for ol' mace to beat them up instead of all of them attacking him at the same time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

christopher nolan sucks

the dark night rises was loving garbage

i legit dont get why it has praise its edited like some sort of sloppy retarded condensed cut of movie edited down for airplay as a one hour pilot episode except its 3 hours long and they didnt even take anything out and it still made no sense

dark knight rises was loving awful. I've never heard it get any praise

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

dude, that was NOT funny.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

dur posted:

this is basically what i was gonna post because seriously wtf is that stupid piston ship? it makes no sense at all and is really dumb

and also it's really dumb that all those securitrons just sat around waiting for ol' mace to beat them up instead of all of them attacking him at the same time.

realistic space combat is ridiculously boring: mass accelerated at you from light years away or invisible lasers because coloured lasers are inefficient

also keep in mind that its fuckin' space fantasy, not space autism (tng)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ahmeni posted:

realistic space combat is ridiculously boring: mass accelerated at you from light years away or invisible lasers because coloured lasers are inefficient

also keep in mind that its fuckin' space fantasy, not space autism (tng)
yeah but that thign wasn't even in space!

if it was in space, like some orbital mass driver platform

then ok but a piston thing floating a few hundred feet over the planet surface is really dumb. even for space fantasy.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

dur posted:

then ok but a piston thing floating a few hundred feet over the planet surface is really dumb. even for space fantasy.

As much as I love the story behind that B5 scene, the non-realism always felt a bit stretched. The rocks start glowing seconds after they are thrown, as if they were a few meters/km from the atmosphere, and their speed seems REALLY low (and the Centari ships appear stationary, which doesn't help either). I wish they would rely on the trick that they used a lot, not showing whoever is firing and whoever is being hit at the same time, so you get the impression of distance (I think JMS actually talks about that in one of those Usenet posts from back when they were making the series).

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

ilikelettuce posted:

As much as I love the story behind that B5 scene, the non-realism always felt a bit stretched. The rocks start glowing seconds after they are thrown, as if they were a few meters/km from the atmosphere, and their speed seems REALLY low (and the Centari ships appear stationary, which doesn't help either). I wish they would rely on the trick that they used a lot, not showing whoever is firing and whoever is being hit at the same time, so you get the impression of distance (I think JMS actually talks about that in one of those Usenet posts from back when they were making the series).

whoa there spergasuaurs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dur posted:

the robots are stupid and the people in charge are insane, problem solved

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dur posted:

:goonsay:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

oh hell no you did not just goon say me

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
space combat is stupid

combat is stupid

im stupid

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Watched Robocop for the first time in like 15 years, still owns. Also just found out it's being remade :mad:

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
why are there space slums?

i thought the jedi would have done something about poverty

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Guido van Possum posted:

luke skywalker doesn't care about poor people

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Guido van Possum posted:

its a universe with black and white morality poor people are probably that way because they're literally evil

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
star wars is good fun but you really can't hold the universe to any sort of scrutiny or set of expectations because it's so convoluted and poorly managed. and people try to actually justify and understand that poo poo when it's literally just a cheap thrown together cash-in back drop for movies and games and TV now

with 40k at least you can say what did what but depending on whatever retarded eu or canon ur going by poo poo may be completely different

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

edit: ^^^^^ or that

Guido van Possum posted:

because the republic is horrendously corrupt and aristocratic and only cares about fake poo poo for nobles and the only difference between it and the empire is that at least the empire openly admits that it's terrible

they're literally willing to clone people to fight against robots to resolve trade disputes

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"elan sleazebaggano" is the canonical name of a character who appears in one of the movies. like not expanded universe or anything, he actually has a scene where he talks with obi-wan.

and yet we still have spergs who take the star wars "universe" seriously.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

good one. you definitely pulled the wool over our eyes with that!!

nah it's just that the total recall thing had me thinking "what would be the worst science-fiction movie to remake?" and :nolan: was just vaguely-plausible enough to be funny as the director. i figured that people would go "ha ha yeah wouldn't that be something" and leave it at that.

MancXVI posted:

because the republic is horrendously corrupt and aristocratic and only cares about fake poo poo for nobles and the only difference between it and the empire is that at least the empire openly admits that it's terrible

they're literally willing to clone people to fight against robots to resolve trade disputes
wait so lucas's lovely writing is actually internally consistent in the most interesting and unexpected way possible? like what if the prequels are a deliberate satire on the cartoony black-and-white morality of the original trilogy? really makes you think man. "from my point of view the jedi are evil" #wow #whoa

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 1, 2013

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

wait so lucas's lovely writing is actually internally consistent in the most interesting and unexpected way possible? like what if the prequels are a deliberate satire on the cartoony black-and-white morality of the original trilogy? really makes you think man. "from my point of view the jedi are evil" #wow #whoa

no the original trilogy was back when Lucas still had Spielberg influences and before he proved you can make entire movies without any concern for movie making

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or when mace windu handles some poo poo

http://youtu.be/7A07WNupEXk

this scene is literally not considered canon because it's too awesome

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

qntm posted:

this scene is literally not considered canon because it's too awesome

gonna keep careposting about how terrible star wars is

so you're telling me that in the galaxy of loving space travel and laser swords they can't just electronically jam all those droids? it's really a better solution to send mass-produced meatbags to battle them in some empty field?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MancXVI posted:

so you're telling me that in the galaxy of loving space travel and laser swords they can't just electronically jam all those droids? it's really a better solution to send mass-produced meatbags to battle them in some empty field?

yes because it's fantasy not scifi
also jamming doesnt work like that

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

ahmeni posted:

in that case, gently caress the republic, gently caress the empire, gently caress the new republic

space ron paul

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MancXVI posted:

yeah it's almost like these space fantasy action movies for kids emphasize visual flashiness over practical tactics and strategy.

or in simpler less ironic terms that you might have a better chance of understanding:

The Star Wars saga practically runs on Rule Of Cool. Most of the Big drat Heroes and Big drat Villains carry at least one Laser Bladed BFS, the Cool Ships maneuver like airplanes and sea vessels even though Space Does Not Work That Way, and despite the Evil Overlords in The Verse presumably knowing how to Nuke Em, every movie features a Big Badass Battle Sequence pitting tons of Mooks against each other. Needless to say, Crowning Moments Of Awesome abound oh god oh god oh god :suicide:

ahmeni posted:

it actually would have worked in the phantom menace and was blindingly obvious to the point of being a plot hole. yet another reason for why that movie sucks balls out of an rear end (made of more balls).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 1, 2013

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

sucks balls out of an rear end (made of more balls).

go on ..

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well now that star wars is owned by disney i guess its literally made for children

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Siljmonster posted:

well now that star wars is owned by disney i guess its literally made for children
lucas used that excuse 14 years ago to justify jar jar and anakin "yippee" skywalker. not exactly a new development.

of course he's full of poo poo because the revenge of the sith was retardedly grimdark and violent, half of attack of the clones was a horrible boring "romance" that would put any preteen in a coma, and all three prequels were loaded with bullshit space government scenes that would put anyone in a coma. the obvious truth is that the man just has awful taste in everything.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 1, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ahmeni posted:

this is also why it's a universe that telekinesis and clairvoyance both exist as forces harnessed by individuals from hundreds of different species, yet they cannot produce machines that replicate these powers, even after tens of thousands of years of study

what really seems like a dick move to me are the way artificial intelligences are treated by everyone, including jedi

ok, so the dark side happens from using the force to directly harm people, but since droids aren't strictly living you can just do whatever to them; throw them around, rip them apart, regardless if you're even in the middle of a conversation with one

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

lucas used that excuse 14 years ago to justify jar jar and anakin "yippee" skywalker. not exactly a new development.

of course he's full of poo poo because the revenge of the sith was retardedly grimdark and violent, half of attack of the clones was a horrible boring "romance" that'll put any preteen in a coma, and all three prequels are loaded with bullshit space government scenes that'll put me in a coma. the obvious truth is that the man just has awful taste in everything.

lucas was a huge shitheel for that "i make movies for the children", i was 14 when phantom menace came out and i was super stoked. cant even say words about it

every movie had some kind of kid in it for inexplicably no reason at all, anakin, baby fett, sudden baby death star and the only good parts about anakin is when he slaughters innocent people because welp "dark side". He was supposed to be the "Chosen one" or whatever and all he turned into was an angry whiny kid that somehow got laid

the only thing i hope that j j abrahms does with star wars is finally break the mold of what a crap shoot the new trilogy is, match it up with at least empire strikes back, tones down the whole JEDI SITH PENULTIMATE ETERNAL STRUGGLE but he will probably just hire LOST writers and they will make it mysterious

or just take the philosophy from KOTOR2 and make it into a new trilogy

Jedi and Sith both suck equally kill them all

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

The Star Wars saga practically runs on Rule Of Cool. Most of the Big drat Heroes and Big drat Villains carry at least one Laser Bladed BFS, the Cool Ships maneuver like airplanes and sea vessels even though Space Does Not Work That Way, and despite the Evil Overlords in The Verse presumably knowing how to Nuke Em, every movie features a Big Badass Battle Sequence pitting tons of Mooks against each other. Needless to say, Crowning Moments Of Awesome abound oh god oh god oh god :suicide:

jesus christ

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Siljmonster posted:

lucas was a huge shitheel for that "i make movies for the children", i was 14 when phantom menace came out and i was super stoked. cant even say words about it

every movie had some kind of kid in it for inexplicably no reason at all, anakin, baby fett, sudden baby death star and the only good parts about anakin is when he slaughters innocent people because welp "dark side". He was supposed to be the "Chosen one" or whatever and all he turned into was an angry whiny kid that somehow got laid

the only thing i hope that j j abrahms does with star wars is finally break the mold of what a crap shoot the new trilogy is, match it up with at least empire strikes back, tones down the whole JEDI SITH PENULTIMATE ETERNAL STRUGGLE but he will probably just hire LOST writers and they will make it mysterious

or just take the philosophy from KOTOR2 and make it into a new trilogy

Jedi and Sith both suck equally kill them all

new hope was kinda edgy even by today's standards, in that it featured close-up shots of pilots burning alive inside of their cockpits

but yeah, that was gone by jedi; with things like chewie climbing inside of an AT-ST and off-camera gunning down the entire crew

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Siljmonster posted:

every movie had some kind of kid in it for inexplicably no reason at all
you clearly don't know much about kids. the only thing that'll make a kid care about something is having a kid in it. if you think that a kid would ever be interested in (let alone idolize) an adult character you're delusional. this is why they don't make batman toys, only action figures (which are for adults to collect).

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but yeah, that was gone by jedi; with things like chewie climbing inside of an AT-ST and off-camera gunning down the entire crew
also the loving teddy bear army.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 1, 2013

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

mods change my username to

Tue Rule of Cool

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

you clearly don't know much about kids. the only thing that'll make a kid care about something is having a kid in it.

this is retarded

youre retarded

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

you clearly don't know much about kids. the only thing that'll make a kid care about something is having a kid in it. if you think that a kid would ever be interested in (let alone idolize) an adult character you're delusional. this is why they don't make batman toys, only action figures (which are for adults to collect).

also the loving teddy bear army.

children are stupid and i idolized han solo and lando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
now i just idolize lando

• Locked thread