Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

fatherdog posted:

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with anyone liking My Little Pony.

Fixed that for you.

Goddamn, though, a ten year old wrote that, and on some level comprehends homestuck? That's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CidGregor posted:

Fixed that for you.

Goddamn, though, a ten year old wrote that, and on some level comprehends homestuck? That's nuts.

To be fair his entire family are musicians. He's grown up with songwriting.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Dorroile posted:

Please don't introduce Homestuck to kids unless you want them to end up at a McDonalds, with full body paint, spitting into a bucket as their friends tape them.

That only happened once, and everyone hates them for it.

Can we please move on?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Ablative posted:

That only happened once, and everyone hates them for it.

Can we please move on?

Spitting into buckets in public is sadly, not a rare thing, or it gets video taped a high amount of the time.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

lotus circle posted:

Yeah this is my opinion on it too. Not that younger fans can't understand everything in the comic, but from what I've seen the majority of the younger fans are generally more into the romantic and shipping related portions of the comic and how cool everyone looks. It isn't exactly a secret that Homestuck's popularity exploded when the trolls were introduced and many fans admit to have skipped Acts 1-4 and go right to Act 5 on their first read (which is slightly worse than skipping the Midnight Crew intermission). The designs of the trolls and their overly exaggerated behaviors are what got a lot of people to start reading the comic all together. They can follow along with the story (most times) but rather than think about theorizing new events or analyzing the character's personalities and behaviors, they focus on what happens on the surface (like how someone looks, if there are any new shipping developments, etc) and don't delve further.

I'm not saying that Homestuck is an incredibly deep or life changing comic, but many updates do deserve second readings because of what might have been missed. Younger fans can read Homestuck and enjoy it and nothing is wrong with that, but it is very much a comic that requires some mental maturity, understanding of subtexts and other fancy literary lingo to fully grasp everything that goes on. You can criticize Hussie for a lot of parts of the comic, but you can't argue that he isn't a very good character writer and world builder. I don't think I personally would be fully able to grasp everything that goes on if I was 13 at the very least.

I'm not sure if age really has much to do with that. There are plenty of older fans who are the same way.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I showed Homestuck to my 13 year old brother and he loved it at first, mostly for the jokes and characters, but gave up somewhere in Act 5.2 because he couldn't keep up with the plot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I don't think I'd really introduce anyone to Homestuck at this point; I personally enjoy it, but I've had the benefit of following as it updates, and figuring things out alongside the community. Trying to read straight through, I can't help but imagine it being a convoluted mess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't think I'd really introduce anyone to Homestuck at this point; I personally enjoy it, but I've had the benefit of following as it updates, and figuring things out alongside the community. Trying to read straight through, I can't help but imagine it being a convoluted mess.

I caught up right before [S] Seer: Descend and the Scratch Intermission. I think it was the perfect time to start reading serially because goddamn did things start getting dense after that. It helped a lot to have other people to discuss it with.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much done showing Homestuck to anyone I know. Most people who stuck with it either stopped at Act 5.1 (too much chats) or the third Meenahquest (too much chats) so obviously nobody I know is as enthralled as I am. :sigh:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much done showing Homestuck to anyone I know. Most people who stuck with it either stopped at Act 5.1 (too much chats) or the third Meenahquest (too much chats) so obviously nobody I know is as enthralled as I am. :sigh:

I could understand giving up at Hivebent, but if you managed to get through the meandering Act 1, Midnight Crew intermission, Hivebent, the Doc Scratch narration, the Mindfang journals, and the utterly bizarrely paced slog that is early Act 6, how do you suddenly decide that Meenahquest is your breaking point?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
edit: Nvm

krakagar fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 1, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

He had only been reading Homestuck since November of 2011, and although he is “caught-up” to the recent updates, he has skipped a lot of act 5. This has not prevented him from declaring his three favorite characters to be Sollux, Feferi, and Nepeta.
Poor kid.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Color Printer posted:

I could understand giving up at Hivebent, but if you managed to get through the meandering Act 1, Midnight Crew intermission, Hivebent, the Doc Scratch narration, the Mindfang journals, and the utterly bizarrely paced slog that is early Act 6, how do you suddenly decide that Meenahquest is your breaking point?
Yeah, that's what makes me give up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know a guy who got sick of Doc Scratch's narration and quit during his summary of either the Summoner or the Handmaid. He just wanted it to loving end. I've since told him that he was practically five pages away from things happening, and not much further from the biggest event in the entire comic, but I guess he's an idiot.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The only part i skipped was Mindfang's journal, because who GIVES a gently caress.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does one... quit? Homestuck? I don't understand the statement.

Also does anybody have a link to Radiation's "translation" of Mindfang's journal because that's never not funny.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dorroile posted:

The only part i skipped was Mindfang's journal, because who GIVES a gently caress.

Same. It wasn't the most dense and unreadable thing thus far, but it was also pretty inconsequential.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I skipped Mindfang's journal, the 2nd and 3rd meenahquest, and any of the Caliborn chatlogs where he is talking to Jane. That last one is just too much like accidentally falling into an MRA meeting. It did it's job though, assuming it's job was to get me to hate Caliborn!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bongo Bill posted:

I know a guy who got sick of Doc Scratch's narration and quit during his summary of either the Summoner or the Handmaid. He just wanted it to loving end. I've since told him that he was practically five pages away from things happening, and not much further from the biggest event in the entire comic, but I guess he's an idiot.

A guy gave up because he got tired of something and didn't feel like coming back to probably have the same thing happen again in the future? What an idiot.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Failboattootoot posted:

I skipped Mindfang's journal, the 2nd and 3rd meenahquest, and any of the Caliborn chatlogs where he is talking to Jane. That last one is just too much like accidentally falling into an MRA meeting. It did it's job though, assuming it's job was to get me to hate Caliborn!

Why did you skip the Meenahquests? They're funny.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ariong posted:

Why did you skip the Meenahquests? They're funny.

I just didn't give a poo poo about yet another group of characters thrown in for the, what, 5th time? Also Kankri drove me crazy.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I read every single word in Homestuck but I would never mention it to people in real life because I can feel shame.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I read every single word in Homestuck but I would never mention it to people in real life because I can feel shame.
Yeah, pretty much this. Less so on the shame side but more so on the "read every single word" and "know for a fact that nobody I know in real life would be interested" side.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Color Printer posted:

I think the walkabouts might be psychologically confusing to anyone who's played that style of RPG (basically all of us). Computer games tend to work on variations of "Push button get reward" with the specific button you have to push hidden or made difficult to reach, and the reward being some 'tangible' benefit like a level-up or new loot. If you're playing an RPG you're exploring a new area for quest clues and hidden loot first, with interactions with other characters taking a distant second since there's usually so few of them (and they can be quite poorly written). You reach the walkabouts wired to skim the (brilliant) conversations and loot the chests for sweet new (useless) equipment, and can get confused when this strategy doesn't lead to fun. I remember having a concious realisation a couple of minutes into Karkat's first tour that there was no objective or goal to rush to, no inventory to fill. I was there to read the conversations and by god I was going to enjoy it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

A guy gave up because he got tired of something and didn't feel like coming back to probably have the same thing happen again in the future? What an idiot.

I mean he was sick of Doc Scratch specifically, and so he quit reading immediately before Doc Scratch went away forever. And then he kept complaining about it.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 1, 2013

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Could I maybe ask why some of you guys even read Homestuck? What is it that you enjoy about it? It sounds like some of you really hate anything that has too many :words: or doesn't constantly advance the plot in some tangible manner? I love the diversions as much as I love the story. I love the character development stuff, the plot stuff, the silly stuff, the experimental stuff and just the joy of reading something so gloriously different, new, interesting, fun. Trickster mode was fun. What's the problem with the Mindfang Diaries? As far as I recall it was only a few pages (I could be wrong, but I don't remember them being totally awful - just another silly diversion. An experiment, as is much of Homestuck). Do any of you skip chapters in books if they aren't immediately interesting, 'cos that seems weird to me. I get that Homestuck isn't for everyone and can occasionally be challenging, but that's part of what's fun about it for me. Also, I think some of you give other people way to little credit for what they do or don't get out of Homestuck. For a comic that's about kids and the poo poo they go through, some of you seem to have a pretty narrow view of what real 13 year olds are like.

I'm genuinely interested in what people get out of it, 'cos sometimes it seems to me like people are reading a totally different comic.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

krakagar posted:

Could I maybe ask why some of you guys even read Homestuck? What is it that you enjoy about it? It sounds like some of you really hate anything that has too many :words: or doesn't constantly advance the plot in some tangible manner? I love the diversions as much as I love the story. I love the character development stuff, the plot stuff, the silly stuff, the experimental stuff and just the joy of reading something so gloriously different, new, interesting, fun. Trickster mode was fun. What's the problem with the Mindfang Diaries? As far as I recall it was only a few pages (I could be wrong, but I don't remember them being totally awful - just another silly diversion. An experiment, as is much of Homestuck). Do any of you skip chapters in books if they aren't immediately interesting, 'cos that seems weird to me. I get that Homestuck isn't for everyone and can occasionally be challenging, but that's part of what's fun about it for me. Also, I think some of you give other people way to little credit for what they do or don't get out of Homestuck. For a comic that's about kids and the poo poo they go through, some of you seem to have a pretty narrow view of what real 13 year olds are like.

I'm genuinely interested in what people get out of it, 'cos sometimes it seems to me like people are reading a totally different comic.
Seconded. I will never for the life of me understand skipping through anything on my first watch/read-through of a story.

And the Mindfang Diaries were absolutely absurd and ridiculous in the best possible way. :colbert:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The only thing I don't like about the Homestuck experience is when it feels like I'm supposed to get a reference to something that was mentioned in a chatlog two years ago. I don't have that sort of memory, and sometimes I feel a bit stupid for not instantly understanding how a new plot twist fits into the larger picture. But that's why the massive fanbase is helpful, because chances are someone somewhere read that chatlog yesterday and can point out the correlation.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

krakagar posted:

I love homestuck but honestly, act 6 has been pretty bleh to me. I just, as a rule, don't like large casts of important characters. Shoot, if half the trolls didn't get the FF6 treatment I probably would have quit back in hivebent. Now Act 6 has added 4 new kids that I don't like nearly as much as the old cast, 2 cherubs, and an entire host of new trolls and I just can't give a poo poo about any of them at this point.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I read Homestuck because it is fun+funny and has neat characters, not to read about some spider-pirate getting her sexual assaulting on.

PS: Personally I genuinely can't wait until we learn about the pre-scratch ancestors. We need more characters.

vvv: Really? I loved that poo poo, it was hilarious.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 1, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

The well-known issues with Act 6 aside, the only thing I don't really like about Homestuck is the occasional celebrity reference stuff. Anything to do with Guy Fieri was especially dire. I just find that stuff more sophomoric than funny, and likely to age poorly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Only Aranea could make a story about a dragon incinerating a fleet of pirate ships boring.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ShardPhoenix posted:

The well-known issues with Act 6 aside, the only thing I don't really like about Homestuck is the occasional celebrity reference stuff. Anything to do with Guy Fieri was especially dire. I just find that stuff more sophomoric than funny, and likely to age poorly.

The Guy Fieri stuff was amazing. But I watch a lot of food network so I hate the guy more than most I would wager.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Failboattootoot posted:

I just didn't give a poo poo about yet another group of characters thrown in for the, what, 5th time? Also Kankri drove me crazy.
There were some good shenanigans with the meteor crew as well though.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Tollymain posted:

How does one... quit? Homestuck? I don't understand the statement.

Also does anybody have a link to Radiation's "translation" of Mindfang's journal because that's never not funny.

Here you go. Everyone should read these because they were far superior to the canon Mindfang. He also made some more on his Tumblr.

Radiation posted:

i dont care if you raise the bounty on my head. who cares about bounties? bounty is a brand of diapers for babies like dualscar. dualscar do you do this poo poo at school? seriously. if there was a bounty I already paid for it by being awesome.

SexyBrianPuppet fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 1, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

but really the only reason im being so sarcastic is because I was mad hatecrushing on her. her booty was a challenge and i had my climbing gear ready to scale mt. applebottom. bought a loving oxygen tank because you know it takes my breath away. EXPEDITION CANCELLED.

Amazing, amazing.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I tried to read every single word of Homestuck, and caught up right around the start of act 6, but with autosave being wonky and too many of the links in the archive having the same or similar name, I found out that I accidentally missed big chunks here and there, including the Make Her Pay flash and one other. I really thought on the first read that Vriska was hurt fighting monsters but maybe on purpose and that Aradia wasn't morally ambiguous at all. So if I want to make sure I've read the whole thing, at some point I have to go back and read the entire thing all over again. But... it's scary.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Mindfang journal was fantastic and I would gladly read ten times more of it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pester posted:

So if I want to make sure I've read the whole thing, at some point I have to go back and read the entire thing all over again. But... it's scary.

Sometimes I'll go back to follow up on a reference I see or an older page someone posts in this thread. Then I'll read the next page. And the next. Rereading Homestuck is addicting too me. I love finding the things that Hussie references later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Failboattootoot posted:

In the second Meenah bound it's possible to skip all of the new Trolls introduced, and then at the end you get some good Karkat and Terezi covo's that really show how much Karkat's grown up, as well as probably setting up Terezi's future arc.

In Meenahbound 3 I think there's maybe one or two short mandatory 'be this guy' coversations, and at the end of that there's some excellent conversations between Dave, Rose and Kanaya that are worth checking out.

Basically check the map linked on each page and you'll see that most of the items/things to do to progress you can actually do without talking to most of the A1 Trolls.

For the most part the A1 Trolls seem fairly inconsequential, mostly offering sort of a counterpart/foreshadowing plot and important character developments.

Like Cronus (Eridan's ancestor) had some set up to fight Lord English regarding being a Hope player that obliquely referenced Harry Potter, but he failed so it passed to Eridan, who also failed so now their deal is passing to Jake. So Cronus is not a big deal to get to know, but it sort of foreshadows future important developments.

Or Gamzee's ancestor is also explicitly serving Lord English, is mindcontrolling Nepeta's ancestor and provided Gamzee with the pieces for his godtier getup. Again I really doubt that dude's going to making any big future appearances but uh, his interactions with Gamzee probably set... something up?

But for the most part I really don't see how Hussie's expecting us to care about them on anywhere near the same level as the main characters. They showed up for a little while, did their thing and now they're probably all going to double die maybe.