Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Paranoid Android is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't got round to trying it out yet but I really like the idea of that change. How practical is it for fast task switching and such? And does it ever pop up when you're just trying to touch at the edge of the screen or whatever?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I haven't used it (pie) extensively yet but it seems as fast as you like. You can change the speed and size to your liking, as well as dynamically drag it to whichever side you want. The only tiny conflict I've found is if you have a side swiping app such as dolphin browser, you'll have to learn a bit of finesse with your gestures. Of which navigation seems to become, as opposed to stabbing buttons to get where you want. Its only beta 4 but it seems feature complete and stable so far.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I just picked up a T700t from Best Buy, waiting for the order to be ready for pickup. Any thoughts on it? Every review I've read would indicate it's the first Tegra3 tablet that is actually good and the best Android tablet available for the size.

Also of note, I got the Keyboard docking station included for free and saved $100 dollars. Not sure if that's normal or not though, their site would indicate it's a special offer.

I've always used Nexus phones, but the Nexus 10 doesn't really appeal to me and the Nexus7, while good is too small for my needs. Plus I like having expandable storage since I have multiple 32gb mSD cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

thebushcommander posted:

So I just picked up a T700t from Best Buy, waiting for the order to be ready for pickup. Any thoughts on it? Every review I've read would indicate it's the first Tegra3 tablet that is actually good and the best Android tablet available for the size.

Also of note, I got the Keyboard docking station included for free and saved $100 dollars. Not sure if that's normal or not though, their site would indicate it's a special offer.

I've always used Nexus phones, but the Nexus 10 doesn't really appeal to me and the Nexus7, while good is too small for my needs. Plus I like having expandable storage since I have multiple 32gb mSD cards.

I dont know if id buy a top end tegra 3 tablet at this point with tegra 4 tablets around the corner.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know if id buy a top end tegra 3 tablet at this point with tegra 4 tablets around the corner.
Especially since the GPU in the Tegra 4 is supposed to be several times more powerful than the one in the Tegra 3, The move to A15 is also a huge jump. Graphical performance has always been poor on Android devices compared to iOS but the Tegra 4 might make the gap smaller.

I'd bet on a new Transformer being one of the first Tegra 4 devices, and there's a good chance of it having a 1600p screen like the Nexus 10.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the only tegra 3 device that should be considered at this point in time is the Nexus 7 and even that's dubious due to the rumor mill of a 1080p version for the same pricepoint being introduced at I/O.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the only tegra 3 device that should be considered at this point in time is the Nexus 7 and even that's dubious due to the rumor mill of a 1080p version for the same pricepoint being introduced at I/O.
Oh man, I hope so. That'll put the entire Nexus line over 300PPI.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

thebushcommander posted:

There don't seem to be tons of Infinty owners here but I'm one of them. It's the best currently availble 10" Android tablet that doesn't look like a playskool toy (ahem Nexus 10). I found it to be a much better tablet once I unlocked it and installed Clean ROM inheritance. The screen is awesome, about the density of a retina display from Apple, and the dock makes it a nice little notebook replacement. Although you're buying at the end of that chip's lifecycle I still think it's a good tablet for the money. That being said I'll probably still be first in line for the next 10" from Asus.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I like my infinity as well.

If you're holding off until the next line of Asus tablets though it might help to remember Asus sucks at launching things. If they announce at MWC, which could be possible, don't expect to be able to actually buy anything until november or december, and even then it'll be a game of in stock alerts.

See both the tf101 and tf201 launches for examples of this.

I'm hoping samsung or lenovo can put out something similar in terms of a keyboard dock with a battery/sd slot/usb so I can try a different vendor next upgrade.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
It should be noted that I got this tablet mostly for work and was refunded 60% of the cost. Which I told them was 650 after tax because the dock was free. So I didn't pay much for it out of pocket. I basically paid 200 out of pocket for the tablet, dock and cover/case deal.

In any event, the only thing I've noticed so far is the microSD is kind of a pain in the rear end. I dropped in a msd I had from my galaxy note and it took several attempts popping it in and out to get it to recognize and then I had to press the "mount storage" button in settings several times for it to finally mount. Only to then find out it's not formatted properly (even though it came from an android phone) I have a lot of pictures, music on the sd card and in settings it tells me space is 0 bytes and read only access. So that's kind of annoying.

Other than that stuff and obvious lack of apps that support these resolutions I can say I like it more than the ipad3 I bought last November and then got rid of two weeks later. Found myself missing things from Android that I was used to having owned every Nexus phone. This is nice and honestly the screen looks fantastic even next to a 3rd gen ipad a co-worker has.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 31, 2013

revolther
May 27, 2008
Just to be clear, public tax money is recouping 60% of the cost of his transformer coz he didn't like his iPad3 a couple months back. For WORK. /thieving bourgeosie derail

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

revolther posted:

Just to be clear, public tax money is recouping 60% of the cost of his transformer coz he didn't like his iPad3 a couple months back. For WORK. /thieving bourgeosie derail

What does it have to do with public tax money? The iPad has nothing to do with it, I was just saying I like the transformer more.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

What does it have to do with public tax money? The iPad has nothing to do with it, I was just saying I like the transformer more.

Well, do you work for a government agency/department? And they're subsidizing your tablet purchase?

\/\/ I got nothing then, just curious.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 31, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Well, do you work for a government agency/department? And they're subsidizing your tablet purchase?

No I don't. If I did they would buy the tablet for me outright, not subsidized.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Nexus 10 delivered yesterday in Ottawa. This thing is sweet but I'm having a harder time getting used to it than I anticipated, given that I've been using a GNex since they came out. The lack of Flash in Chrome is also a downer given the sites I look at a lot. I installed Flash for Android and Firefox but it seems balky as hell, not nearly as good as the default browser on my Blackberry Playbook.

Is there an email app that handles multiple IMAP-over-SSL accounts as well as Thunderbird does?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So a few weeks back I ordered a N7 from Google Play (UK) and after using my tablet in an interview it's come to light that I have two dead pixels on the screen.

Of course, sod's law dictates this is after the two week grace period (like a few days off). So can I get anywhere with Google or am I doomed to thrall though Asus' nonsense labyrinth of a website and call centre?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

So a few weeks back I ordered a N7 from Google Play (UK) [...]
You're in the UK, where consumer rights actually exist. The retailer is jointly responsible for replacing faulty items. So yes, call Google.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

So I just grabbed an 8gb Nexus 7 off craigslist with the intent on installing it in my car, as the current rage appears to be on other forums. It's obviously going to be great, because my friend and I had this revelation on our own before seeing it mentioned in a couple places. Anyway, being the elitist forum snob I am, I refuse to post on the hell holes that are XDA and the like, so I'm going to pose my 2 questions on this install here. If I should pose these questions somewhere else, let me know.

The basic setup is this: It's going into my BMW 325xi. The current head unit is going to be transplanted into or behind the glove box, and the N7 is going to be connected via AUX, where it will be mounted where the current head unit, and the HVAC system is. It's all modular, and easily pulls out and makes room for a 2unit system (where BMW's NAV would go normally). Volume would be controlled from my steering wheel, and/or the N7 if really necessary. Now the obstacles:

Powering it. It seems we have 2 basic options.

- Wire a charging cable into the accessories line, so the N7 gets charging power everytime the key is turned. When the vehicle is off, it's going to be on battery power, which should theoretically last just fine between car starts. I'm going to play with the N7 a lot, and test how long it will in fact sit like that without a charge, but not turning off.

- Jimmy up a way to press the power button. We have a friend who works in a shop with 3D printers and such, and he is willing to fabricate some kind of poly carbonate "lever" that we'll sit down and design. Then we'll somehow, somewhere install a discreet button to press to boot up and power it off everytime the car is used. This is the more complex, but safer route. I'm also leary of drilling holes in my interior for a small button.

The 2nd thing that concerns me, and I just thought of when posting is: How well will this do in the really cold weather? I'm in upstate NY, and it can get close 0F at the worst, but it does routinely stay below 20F in the winter.

If anyone has any tips or concerns, I'm all ears. We plan on making a DIY video of the entire process, which I'll definitely come here and post, most likely with much glee and excitement.

edit >>>>

When the N7 gets power (when the key is turned), the screen would turn on. I have it set to never turn the display off while charging. So when the key turns off, the screen should go idle and turn off. I think I'm going to use your pogo's suggestion and buy the cheapest dock I can find, and cannabilize it to wire up. Thanks for that suggestion, we completely forgot about them. We already have to make room in the bezel for the AUX cable (getting an L shaped one to minimize its protrusion).

Binge fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 1, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I remember thinking about doing that right when the Nexus 7 came out and then I realized I probably end up killing myself and others by having a touchscreen distraction in my car. Cold weather will probably hurt the battery life some but that shouldn't matter. It might also make the screen do funny things but it shouldn't hurt anything unless you get condensation in there. A Nexus 7 should idle for over a week on battery power if the screen's off. You're going to need the power button anyway to turn on the screen, and you'll have to play with the timeout settings as well. When you wire up the power make sure to use the pogo connectors instead of trying to muck with the USB port. Also don't kill anyone.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Im happy people are installing them. I'm going to be replacing my aging carpc at some point and it'd be nice if the nexus 7/android had a lot of car-oriented development behind it.

I also live in NY and havent had a real problem with the LCD in regards to cold weather. When it's very cold the LCD is just slow in refreshing, and that resolves pretty quickly as the car warms up.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Just got my wife a nexus 7. I would like for her to be able to use it as a photo dump for pictures she takes on my GS3, and was under the impression I could easily transfer files using nfc. I tried it tonight when we were playing with the n7, but it wouldnt transfer and always brought up a blank google play page and said connection failed. Could someone please explain how to get nfc working between the two or how can I easily transfer files from the s3 to the n7?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Just got my wife a nexus 7. I would like for her to be able to use it as a photo dump for pictures she takes on my GS3, and was under the impression I could easily transfer files using nfc. I tried it tonight when we were playing with the n7, but it wouldnt transfer and always brought up a blank google play page and said connection failed. Could someone please explain how to get nfc working between the two or how can I easily transfer files from the s3 to the n7?

On the S3
Turn off Sbeam
Turn on Android Beam

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I just installed a custom kernel, should be interesting to see the difference. Guide here

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What kind of battery life are people getting out of the Nexus 10? I'm seeing crazy fast drain on standby to where letting it sit for a little over 24 hours cost 40% battery, let alone from actually using it. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of taking it back.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

What kind of battery life are people getting out of the Nexus 10? I'm seeing crazy fast drain on standby to where letting it sit for a little over 24 hours cost 40% battery, let alone from actually using it. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of taking it back.

Stock ROM? Install Better Battery Stats and report back. I noticed it on mine, a few games don't properly exit, and android service "Audio_Out_n" stayed on keeping the tablet away and killing it. The main culprit was Puzzle Forge. If I turned the screen off while it was running that would happen.

Also, try disabling Google Currents syncing, and turn off location services.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd agree to try killing Currents, but I haven't touched location services and haven't had any bad battery issues. While I don't remember exactly and haven't tested it, I think I see something along the lines of 5-10% per day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I noticed Google Now had by default turned on location reporting in Maps so I turned that off. I'll see if that improves things any.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Daimo posted:

Paranoid Android is awesome!

Still going strong? I've been thinking of trying PA on my 7.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

3.0 is due in "the next few days" so it might be worth waiting. I'm planning to give it a go on my N4 and N7 as soon as that releases.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My 10 lasts quite a bit. Last night it was sitting at 43% with 3d 12hr off charge with 3hr and 45min of screen on time.

My 7 dislikes my main wireless access point. It will drain battery like anything on it, losing around 2% /hr idle. On a different access point it has no issue.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Couple of stability issues, nothing major enough not to get it but I'd say wait for the next version.

Here's a review to wet your appetite.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
EDIT: Wrong thread. Too many tabs!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

kitten smoothie posted:

Under advanced Wi-Fi settings try turning "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to 'Only when plugged in'.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bull3964 posted:

My 10 lasts quite a bit. Last night it was sitting at 43% with 3d 12hr off charge with 3hr and 45min of screen on time.

My 7 dislikes my main wireless access point. It will drain battery like anything on it, losing around 2% /hr idle. On a different access point it has no issue.

Try changing your router channel.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Since buying it last Friday I haven't let it get all the way down to zero battery, so I did that. Watched some videos on youtube with my kid till the battery died, and then charged overnight.

This morning I unplugged it and turned it on, and an hour later it had lost 2% battery. Still seeing Maps activity in the battery history, in spite of having turned off all the Latitude crap that Google Now had turned on automatically. Disabling Now altogether is a no-go, because I find Now to be pretty handy.

Glimm posted:

Under advanced Wi-Fi settings try turning "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to 'Only when plugged in'.

Trying this, and I also disabled Currents because it sucks anyway. Next I am charging it all the way back up again, and I'm going to let it sit all afternoon to see what it does.

I don't have any of these problems with my Nexus 7; that thing sips battery when I'm not using it.

If it's still draining like mad then I'm just going to return it. I bought it from Wal-Mart so as to avoid Google's $75 restocking fee, so it won't cost me anything to do it. And honestly I'm already starting to feel inclined to do so. This thing cost $500, and it should work without a bunch of computer janitoring and disabling a ton of stuff it had out of the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cakefool posted:

Try changing your router channel.

Oh, I've done that. I've played round with practically every setting to no effect.

What's odd is my Nexus 7 used to be fine on that router. But even reverting to 4.1.2 didn't reverse the idle drain.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You've probably tried this but in the past, on certain routers I had all kinds of weirdness on Android devices if the router was set to WPA/WPA2 mixed. Locking onto one or the other cleared it up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just to follow up on my shenanigans, called Google this morning and it was a fairly in and out process to get everything squared in-spite of it being out of the grace period.

I really thought I was going to be given the run around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I love my Nexus 7, but I've noticed that, like so many others out there, there's a little bit of give if I press gently on the left side of the screen. There isn't any screen lifting. I've only had it a couple weeks, so I don't see why I couldn't take it back by Staples, especially given how well documented it is. My main thing is: does it even matter? It doesn't bother me and it only happens if I make it happen.