Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Facebook is going to sue them so far into the ground, it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm curious to where all this liberal biased "Facebook censorship" is taking place because half my news feed is viral right-wing media now.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Getting your account suspended for calling the president the n-word counts as persecution now.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Sean Archer posted:

I'm curious to where all this liberal biased "Facebook censorship" is taking place because half my news feed is viral right-wing media now.

People questioning their facts and reporting pictures of actual lynchings, mostly

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sean Archer posted:

It's a scam to bilk money from people who feel their identity as a conservative is more important than common sense. This isn't an actual problem that exists, they're just trying to convince people it exists to sell a product. :ssh:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sean Archer posted:

It exists in the same place as death panels, Obamunism, and free abortions and gay sex for all exist.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

Oh, I'm fairly certain it will be funny.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With that report on Right Wing Terrorism there's a small chance that this is a way to bait people who think Facebook is censoring their calls for secession and assassinations.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Gee, I wonder why the word "rapture" is missing from the Bible? :iiam:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Oh man:

quote:

It is claimed that over 100 words are mistranslated in the New Testament from the Greek.[1] However, many of those mistranslations are due to the inadequacy of the Greek, as a powerful a language as it was, to express the novel ideas and concepts of Christianity.

So, how then were they expressed? Did people just wave their hands around and say "you know?"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Davethulhu posted:

So, how then were they expressed? Did people just wave their hands around and say "you know?"

God came into their minds and they spoke 21st Century American English - the one true language.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sean Archer posted:

If facebook wasn't liberal biased then your feed would be all right-wing media. :smug:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I listened to Mark Levin on the way home and right out of the box he started raving about Egypt is now our enemy and called for an Egyptian military coup to get rid of the Muslim Brotherhood then began complaining of the gutless Senate refusing to pass Rand Paul's amendment to prohibit the sale of military hardware to Egypt which was only voted for by 19 Republican Senators which lead him into his rant against Hagel and Obama who obviously hate Israel and support the Muslim Brotherhood.

I'm amazed at how U.S. foreign policy is always supposed to support democracy, except when democratic elections lead to results we don't like.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention that those weapons go to the Egyptian military which he clearly supports :shepface:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Eulogistics posted:

Hey guys, my co-worker today had a really bizarre talking point I'm sure comes off Hannity or Limbaugh, but I'm completely unfamiliar with it. We were talking about the declining GDP of the United States (he saw fit to let me know that the GDP had declined last quarter) and he mentioned something about how "before the 1970s, the prosperity of the US was not measured by the GDP, but by how much money people had saved in their bank accounts". He tied this in some way to moving from the gold standard to the Federal Reserve or something, but he kept insisting that the US's wealth used to be calculated by somehow factoring in how much money the average person ahd in personal savings, which stands in sharp contrast to todays' measurement of "how much people spend money like there is no tomorrow" (his words). Is anyone familiar with this talking point available that can explain this to me? I'm absolutely befuddled. I looked at GNP, but it just looks like a slightly differerent measurement than GDP and has nothing to do with people saving money.

He's talking about total national wealth, a figure that the US Federal Reserve used to publish. It has never been used as a substitute for GDP, as far as I know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

That will be "proof" that Facebook is anti-conservative.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'd heard that Fox's ratings were going down, but drat.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I think that has a lot to do with the 25-54 parameter

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's also a %-change metric. FOX still has a lot more viewers than MSNBC does, in general. But it's suffering from a lot of the same things that the GOP is in general.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I hope this means an increasingly decentralized messaging platform.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

I think that has a lot to do with the 25-54 parameter

Exactly this. Fox News is still the ratings leader, but among the 25-54 demographic they're dying which makes perfect sense. Expect within the decade a rather hefty overhaul of the programming as investors don't like seeing long term demographic down-trends. Especially when they segment Fox has cornered is primarily lower purchasing power and less trips made shopping habits.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The easiest thing Fox can do to start changing the demos is to simply change the people being attacked. Go after old people hard, and liberal arts majors hard. conservative young'ns are reactionary as hell and eat up people making GBS threads on liberal arts types because, everybody is smug and worldly now, how annoying. Also start playing up the Xbox as the American gaming platform of choice, and poo poo on Japanese companies. Also keep on the war talk with China.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 1, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Barudak posted:

Exactly this. Fox News is still the ratings leader, but among the 25-54 demographic they're dying which makes perfect sense. Expect within the decade a rather hefty overhaul of the programming as investors don't like seeing long term demographic down-trends. Especially when they segment Fox has cornered is primarily lower purchasing power and less trips made shopping habits.

They could go the AM radio route where every single commercial is for gold, ID theft protection, tax cheat defenders, and penis pills. I call it the protection and erections model

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope conservative facebook is as great as Conservapedia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

They could go the AM radio route where every single commercial is for gold, ID theft protection, tax cheat defenders, and penis pills. I call it the protection and erections model

To be honest, if I was Fox News I would start heavily courting homosexuals. Homosexual couples shop 16% more often than heterosexual couples (male/male at like 20% over female/female at like 12% over) and spend more than $1k in total average trips. If Fox News stops making GBS threads on homosexuals and replaces it with including them in the traditional Elite Republican view of themselves and their moneyed status they could add a historically strong spending community while still letting them bash the gently caress out of illegal immigrants, gun control people, abortions and whoever the gently caress else they hate.

Unrelated Fun Facts:Male/Male couples highest overindexing purchase versus all other couples? Liquor. Female/Female? Cottage Cheese

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Barudak posted:

To be honest, if I was Fox News I would start heavily courting homosexuals. Homosexual couples shop 16% more often than heterosexual couples (male/male at like 20% over female/female at like 12% over) and spend more than $1k in total average trips. If Fox News stops making GBS threads on homosexuals and replaces it with including them in the traditional Elite Republican view of themselves and their moneyed status they could add a historically strong spending community while still letting them bash the gently caress out of illegal immigrants, gun control people, abortions and whoever the gently caress else they hate.

They're already started doing this somewhat, they're no bastion of LGBT rights but the anti-gay stuff has been significantly dialed back and some of their regular hosts have come out in support of gay marriage. I've seen a lot of whining from the crazy parts of the base about Fox "caving to the homosexual agenda" so they must be doing something right.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

Watch :foxnews: sometime outside of Hannity and O'Reilly and that's really all their commercials are now mixed in with pharmaceutics's for old people.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

watt par posted:

It's really amazing how long it's lasted and how successful the anti-hunter kookery as a subsection of the overall gun nut propaganda has been. I remember when the Brady Bill had first made the news back in the 80s and some jerkasses were whining about it, my dad told me he'd cancelled his NRA membership back around 1979 because it had become obvious even back then they'd been taken over by a bunch of loons. We're into the fourth decade of this stupidity and yet somehow hunting has managed to not die off.

I've been reading this thread for a while now and haven't seen this mentioned:

http://gawker.com/5968807/down-with-big-gun posted:

Gun manufacturers have successfully managed to shift virtually all blame for lax gun laws in America onto their lobbyists and their customers. It's no coincidence that companies like Sig Sauer, Freedom Group and Glock (which also made one of the weapons used in the killings) are privately held. They strive for minimum transparency, and they have achieved it. The NRA, bless its heart, is a front—a perfect little whipping boy designed to weather all of your abuse so that Ron Cohen can drive to and from his office without a reporter shoving a microphone in front of his stupid loving face.

This is an appealing idea because it makes an awful lot of sense at first. I don't really know enough about the NRA and gun lobby to know if this point of view holds up to scrutiny.

SilentD posted:

Even Beck tells people he's an entertainer.

This has been on my mind for some time: "[Glenn Beck] has said that he identifies with Howard Beale, a character portrayed by Peter Finch in the film Network."

Either that's a cry for help or he totally missed the point of Beale in Network. Getting mad at nothing in particular doesn't solve anything and is a distraction from real issues. Beale was also a corporate stooge, betrayed by his employer. I definitely think Beck missed the point but it's fun to think about how his schtick might all be an act and this is a clue, a nod and a wink to knowing viewers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

radical meme posted:

I listened to Mark Levin on the way home and right out of the box he started raving about Egypt is now our enemy and called for an Egyptian military coup to get rid of the Muslim Brotherhood then began complaining of the gutless Senate refusing to pass Rand Paul's amendment to prohibit the sale of military hardware to Egypt which was only voted for by 19 Republican Senators which lead him into his rant against Hagel and Obama who obviously hate Israel and support the Muslim Brotherhood.

I'm amazed at how U.S. foreign policy is always supposed to support democracy, except when democratic elections lead to results we don't like.

Wasn't the conservative noise machine going ape poo poo when Obama hesitated to say if Egypt was still a staunch ally for the simple reason that no one knew how things were going to turn out?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trast posted:

Wasn't the conservative noise machine going ape poo poo when Obama hesitated to say if Egypt was still a staunch ally for the simple reason that no one knew how things were going to turn out?

Had a lot more to do with the fact that Mubarak leaving made things less than 100% in Israel's favor.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sean Archer posted:

Seriously. This is my Facebook. Newsmax/Fox bullshit as far as I can see.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Where do you people live? I only had one conservative Facebook "friend" (mom's cousin's husband or something), but he unfriended me because I kept making fun of him.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Family overall is pretty conservative. Friends from college got crazy conservative.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Facebook has a "Hide" feature.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Minorities posted:

Facebook has a "Hide" feature.

This is a thread full of people who willingly subject themselves to AM radio and Fox News. Hiding dumb conservative talking points probably isn't high on our priority lists.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Disco Godfather posted:

Where do you people live? I only had one conservative Facebook "friend" (mom's cousin's husband or something), but he unfriended me because I kept making fun of him.

What few conservatives friends I have are pretty much all Orange County natives. Go figure.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Unzip and Attack posted:

These motherfuckers even have their own version of the Bible because some of the core philosophy of a religion founded 2,000 years ago is far too progressive for them.

It's impossible to read the New Testament without coming to the conclusion that Jesus hates the rich and powerful. Conservatives are eager to slobber all over the cocks of the rich and powerful. I guess they love the rich and powerful more than the god they professor to believe in?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lemonus posted:

This is easy to laugh at but at the same time it seems like a really strange step to like... self withdraw. Is there much historical precedent or comparisons that could be made?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

NewtGoongrich posted:

It's impossible to read the New Testament without coming to the conclusion that Jesus hates the rich and powerful. Conservatives are eager to slobber all over the cocks of the rich and powerful. I guess they love the rich and powerful more than the god they professor to believe in?

To be fair this has been true for virtually every institution that has ever existed. Principles are nice and all, but sometimes (all the time) you make compromises to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope conservative facebook is as great as Conservapedia

I doubt it. It'll probably just be forgotten like Qube TV.