Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You weren't kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Huh, I guess I didn't look very hard when I was looking at getting an Mcoupe. Still kinda iffy about lifting 40lb tires over bodywork but it solves my main issue with using it as a track car.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

There was a guy with a miata that had some kind of mount to a hitch that had bars come up and he put the tires on that, that would sit just behind the car (or maybe over his trunk, I forget). Maybe something like that would be possible.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Minimaul posted:

There was a guy with a miata that had some kind of mount to a hitch that had bars come up and he put the tires on that, that would sit just behind the car (or maybe over his trunk, I forget). Maybe something like that would be possible.

Yeah, google "TireTail":
https://www.google.com/search?q=tir...ZHanOiwKP8IDoCQ

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

HotCanadianChick posted:

Good luck finding a Dice Mediabridge, as far as I can tell, Audiovox bought Dice and promptly discontinued the Mediabridge. I ended up just getting a USA-Spec iPod interface kit, since I couldn't find anyplace that still had mediabridges in stock and I really didn't care that much about the Bluetooth anyways.

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize this. I got mine in July or August, after they were bought by Audiovox but before they were discontinued. So I have a mediabridge that's branded as an audiovox.

I checked Bavarian Autosport, and they're all listed as "please call." That really sucks, I love my mediabridge.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Shiiiiit I've been wanting to get a Mediabridge for a while and I just haven't gotten around to it. Are there any similar or better alternatives that don't resort to a whole new ugly headunit?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well now that the temperature is well above freezing again, that rumble/vibration I had a couple days ago has completely vanished. I guess ut was just the cold making something unhappy, which is still kind of odd, as I've driven the car in that kind of cold before without that vibration. I'm still going to give everything a good once over, as it could be a sign something is close to breaking.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

MrChips posted:

Well now that the temperature is well above freezing again, that rumble/vibration I had a couple days ago has completely vanished...

I've noticed flat spots on my tires from parking stay around much longer and are much more pronounced when it is really cold.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3582669028.html

Stock, except for all the mods.

Also was repainted.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Also was repainted.

That's not too bad? 5k is entirely reasonable.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

craigslist posted:

Notable things: ABS and SRS lights are on. Both just bad sensors - easy fix

I love poo poo like this in craigslist ads, you see it all the time. If it's such an easy fix, why haven't you fixed it yet to make your sale significantly easier? Oh, because it's actually something much more serious...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Moxie Omen posted:

That's not too bad? 5k is entirely reasonable.

Yea, I hate resprays though. The only time they're ever done right is when the person has no intention of selling the car and spends way too much.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Jealous Cow posted:

Also was repainted.

This car was worth $45k 18 years ago!

Also, the leather looks beat to poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I feel like a fat idiot.

How come nobody ever told me you can get a 2010 BMW Wagon with a 6-speed manual? I'm amazed I didn't know anything about these at all. Looks like I may be buying a one-way ticket here soon though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

God dam that is one sexy wagon. I am curious about the M Sport package though... but god drat, the rims, the interior.... gently caress that is one amazing car.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Speaking of wagons and Craigslist M3s, here's something from the CL thread:

Crustashio posted:

Price not so gold, but gently caress this is one rare car.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Rare-Alpina-wagon-BMW-m3-wagon-1996-e36-W0QQAdIdZ452305306

and since the ad pics suck

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Only took a few pictures because I was strapped for time.

Loving it so far. It's perfect for what I need (well, want) right now. It's very spry and snappy. I may end up with just some lowering springs, because it's pretty high up there. But that's it for mods. Can't imagine what it'd be like with one of those chips/flashes that bump it up like 40hp/tq. It's plenty for me.

Stupid front plate. :(

I'm going to get some winter wheels/tires for it and a clear bra within the next couple weeks. Of course, the day I get it it is the day after it snows and then warms up to over 32 degrees! Rotates surprisingly well, and it's eager to do it. I'm used to the rear end sliding out, but not being pulled by the front wheels at the same time. It's neat. I mean, I'm following break-in procedures to the letter!

*I'll get some profile pictures tomorrow or Saturday when it's light out. By the time I got out of class after picking up the car it was dark out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A five-series wagon must be goddamn enormous - did they ever make them in RWD?

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Some tuners decide to make an M version of the E89 Z4. :getin:
http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/104/articles/making-up-for-the-missing-m-car?page=1#.UQt3u79EF8E

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Guinness posted:

Shiiiiit I've been wanting to get a Mediabridge for a while and I just haven't gotten around to it. Are there any similar or better alternatives that don't resort to a whole new ugly headunit?

From what I can tell, you can pair a Parrot CK3000 Evolution with a Connects2 CTPPAR007 (17 pin) or CTPPAR008 (40 pin) steering wheel controls wiring harness. Basically this setup will get you A2DP for music streaming and steering wheel controls, so you can tell siri to call someone by pressing the talking face button.

Install with this procedure.

concise fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 1, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've seen that combo mentioned before but didn't realize it offers A2DP. If that's true I may have to consider it. Can you control the A2DP with the steering wheel next/back buttons?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Argh. 6-spd E90 328 is having some starting / idling issues. Feels like vacuum / idle air valve type issues I had in Subarus, but I'd love another opinion from people who know the cars better. Here are the symptoms:

• When starting, the car struggles to build RPM and is rough as hell for ~10s. It jumps from 200 to 1100 RPM and back on the tach.
  • The car has stalled while trying to start once while my wife was driving. It threw a CEL but went away while she drove.
  • Idle becomes stable at ~800 after warming, but hunts occasionally.
  • Idle hangs when clutch in / throttle off approaching stops (this is what makes me think "vacuum" immediately).

These symptoms started right after an oil change at the dealership. Any thoughts appreciated.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

sofullofhate posted:

Argh. 6-spd E90 328 is having some starting / idling issues. Feels like vacuum / idle air valve type issues I had in Subarus, but I'd love another opinion from people who know the cars better. Here are the symptoms:

• When starting, the car struggles to build RPM and is rough as hell for ~10s. It jumps from 200 to 1100 RPM and back on the tach.
  • The car has stalled while trying to start once while my wife was driving. It threw a CEL but went away while she drove.
  • Idle hangs when clutch in / throttle off approaching stops (this is what makes me think "vacuum" immediately).

These symptoms started right after an oil change at the dealership. Any thoughts appreciated.

Almost certainly vacuum issues, that describes pretty well what happened when I swapped my intake manifold and didn't have a vacuum house fully seated. Not very likely that they'd knock something loose with an oil change, but that's the most reasonable answer.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

sofullofhate posted:

Argh. 6-spd E90 328 is having some starting / idling issues. Feels like vacuum / idle air valve type issues
I think you should buy a testarossa.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Guinness posted:

I've seen that combo mentioned before but didn't realize it offers A2DP. If that's true I may have to consider it. Can you control the A2DP with the steering wheel next/back buttons?

I can't quite tell what the people at E46fanatics and bimmerforums are talking about now that you mention it, some people mention music compatibility, others don't. I'll keep researching and try to figure it out.

concise fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 1, 2013

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

sofullofhate posted:

Did you check that the oil fill cap was fully tightened?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Hog Obituary posted:

I think you should buy a testarossa.

I can't wait to be posting frantically on ferrarichat with subjects like "loving PIECE OF poo poo LEFT ME ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AGAIN CAN SOMEBODY LEND ME $25K".

mungtor posted:

Did you check that the oil fill cap was fully tightened?

I did but I'll check it again, thanks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

gently caress yase.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Finally got around to installing that UUC cupholder today at work.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's the same cupholder we sell at work for boats. They are neat and work well, but be careful because those little arms will break eventually.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If you guys were ordering an M3 what would you chose for the transmission? Manual or DCT? I've always been a manual guy but I drove an M5 recently with SMG III and it was pretty nice. I hear the DCT is even better.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jealous Cow posted:

If you guys were ordering an M3 what would you chose for the transmission? Manual or DCT? I've always been a manual guy but I drove an M5 recently with SMG III and it was pretty nice. I hear the DCT is even better.

That's a pretty tough call. At speed, odds are that the dual clutch is better and faster than you are. The weakness of the DCT is some odd behavior at low speeds (parallel parking can be a pain in the rear end) and higher maintenance costs. You have to decide if you use "fun" and "involvement" to describe a manual transmission, and if that's worth it to you.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I had a DSG in my VW Golf TDI, and a DCT in my M3 ('09 Convertible). I like it, because I can paddle shift it if I want more control (and more fun), or I can just leave it in automatic if I am just driving around in traffic or whatever.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

For an M3 I'd take a manual, because I'd assume that would be spiritedly driven or autocrossed. If it was just a daily driver or casual car the DCT (or any auto) would be just fine. For me, at least.

In a similar vein.

I got the 8AT (non-sport) in my 328xi and it's pretty solid. I haven't driven an auto in about 8 years, but it's fun when I need it to be and for 95% of my other driving it's great because I can just sit back and drive... or sit back and relax in traffic.

I guess it just depends on your driving style, where/how you'll be driving and if you want to deal with a clutch in traffic. Either system is only going to be as good as the driver.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Minimaul posted:

For an M3 I'd take a manual, because I'd assume that would be spiritedly driven or autocrossed. If it was just a daily driver or casual car the DCT (or any auto) would be just fine. For me, at least.

In a similar vein.

I got the 8AT (non-sport) in my 328xi and it's pretty solid. I haven't driven an auto in about 8 years, but it's fun when I need it to be and for 95% of my other driving it's great because I can just sit back and drive... or sit back and relax in traffic.

I guess it just depends on your driving style, where/how you'll be driving and if you want to deal with a clutch in traffic. Either system is only going to be as good as the driver.

Racing teams have moved to DCT because it's more efficient than any human could possibly hope to be, so from a technical and performance perspective it's a winner hands down. The only thing I'd miss is the "involvement" factor of being so connected to the car.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Racing teams have moved to DCT because it's more efficient than any human could possibly hope to be, so from a technical and performance perspective it's a winner hands down. The only thing I'd miss is the "involvement" factor of being so connected to the car.

Yeah, true. For me there's also the "involvement" factor for the manuals.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm currently in the process of buying a 2006 BMW 325xi with about 88k miles for $16,500 after taxes and fees, and wanted to share some pictures and gather some thoughts.

I got to drive it for a bit and the steering wheel squeaks - this is apparently somewhat common and not too hard to fix. Apparently it can be done by liberally spraying one of the bearings in the steering column with some kind of lubricant, which is supposedly doable from over the hood or through a panel in the foot-well. Other issues were just minor cosmetic things - a couple of small dents in the passenger door where someone else likely opened their door into it, and some minor, hard to notice scratches on the fender above the front right wheel.

So that's my future maroon saloon. What sort of problems should I be wary of? The E90s seem to be pretty reliable outside of the steering wheel locking [which was fixed after '06], though I feel like if that were going to be a problem it would've already happened.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
What is it with 2009 335i sedans that make it impossible to find them in manual. It seems like a decent enough car it just seems like all the used ones were driven by people who werent aware that they were driving a performance car and not a grocery getter..

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

What is it with 2009 335i sedans that make it impossible to find them in manual. It seems like a decent enough car it just seems like all the used ones were driven by people who werent aware that they were driving a performance car and not a grocery getter..

I would wager that a lot of people that bought it as a performance vehicle also got it as an auto since it's faster than the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Stealth Like posted:

I would wager that a lot of people that bought it as a performance vehicle also got it as an auto since it's faster than the manual.

I think the people who bought it as a performance vehicle are the minority who got it as a manual. The majority pick the car based on the bigger numbers rather than appreciating it as a mini-M3, and are probably more likely to prefer the ease of an auto. It does probably helps having an auto that's technically faster than a manual.