Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I struggle with this too. There's just too much drat space in there especially against skinny necks.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Edited because reading is hard.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 29, 2013

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What's the best way to finish up the RNC if I have very long arms? I have their trachea in the V of my elbow, hand grasping my bicep, other hand on the back of their head. I'm puffing my chest forward and pulling back/squeezing with the choking arm. Despite this, there just seems to be too much space in there and I can't get enough pressure to get a tap or put them out. I've experimented with grabbing my shoulder instead of my bicep, but that seems to move the V of the elbow out of position and turn it into a trach crush with my bicep. It also seems to make it easier to break my grip.

edit: Also I am doing lots of curls, but that's more of a long-term solution :)

I was taught to keep the choking arm relaxed because flexing creates a little space. You should use your shoulders and back to squeeze your elbows together and make sure to keep your head against your opponent's head.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The IBJJF European Open and the San Dieqo qualifiers for Abu Dhabi Pro took place and a bunch of cool poo poo happened.

Some dude named Magid Hage choked the gently caress out of Zach Maxwell and Clark Gracie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87s5aRdrY1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvpOSN2PnW0

Keenan Cornelius took double gold again and had some matches with the Miyao brothers which were either awesome or the worst thing that ever happened in bjj depending on your perspective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDg1Ia5-pQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onQ7LDgNxYk

My coach, Rubens "Cobrinha" Charles broke some guys off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hDwGVK3Hrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyOGQpYgjw

Terere made his return to competition
http://www.graciemag.com/2013/01/fernando-tereres-european-open-2013-return/

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I hate butt scooting footsy bjj so much

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

What's the best way to finish up the RNC if I have very long arms? I have their trachea in the V of my elbow, hand grasping my bicep, other hand on the back of their head. I'm puffing my chest forward and pulling back/squeezing with the choking arm. Despite this, there just seems to be too much space in there and I can't get enough pressure to get a tap or put them out. I've experimented with grabbing my shoulder instead of my bicep, but that seems to move the V of the elbow out of position and turn it into a trach crush with my bicep. It also seems to make it easier to break my grip.

edit: Also I am doing lots of curls, but that's more of a long-term solution :)

A couple things for you, firstoff a trach choke or a pain tap is still a tap, so don't be afraid to let go of the v completely and move your forearm into position for the pain choke. But if you are set on actually choking them out you might want to start using the non choke hand to just push the choke hand wrist hand and not worrying about grabbing a bicep. If you love feeling your own bicep and just aren't getting the choke, try moving the hand off your shoulder and onto your tricep and push the back of your forearm (not hand) with he non-choke arm into the back of their neck to increase the pressure going into the v of your choke arm. Lastly if you have long skinny arms I'm guessing you have long skinny legs, fake the rnc and do an armbar with your skinny rear end knees together.

But don't be so sad about not choking someone, pain chokes are just as fun and in some cases more effective.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
Oh and another important thing is to get your arms set and then instead of using arm strength flex your chest forward and shoulders back to increase the pressure way more than additional arm strength can.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mardragon posted:

Oh and another important thing is to get your arms set and then instead of using arm strength flex your chest forward and shoulders back to increase the pressure way more than additional arm strength can.

I'm doing this part already. My issue isn't skinny limbs. I'm not swole, but I'm not small either. About 17" arms at the moment. I'm definitely not above going for the trachea when competing, but I'd like to practice performing the technique properly so that I can apply it to my training partners without making their throats hurt and because the blood choke is just plain faster.

The issue is more of an anatomy thing: I have a 78.5" reach. There's just too much room in the "triangle" of the choke to get an average sized neck, so I'm looking for modifications to make.

Your point about going palm-to-palm isn't something I've considered. I think I get too hung up on "classic" technique when drilling this stuff, so I'll give that a shot next time I roll and report back.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
One of the keys to getting better as a grappler is finding out what works for you through trial and error, where having long arms is a disadvantage for some moves it's going to be an advantage for someting else. Don't think that just because an instructor teaches a technique means that it will even work for you or work well for you. I for example can't do a standard north south choke (which isn't that uncommon) and I have to adjust some things to make it work.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Also don't be afraid to literally to take somebody aside and ask them to sit down with you for a bit and let you choke them. That would allow you to experiment and they could give you first-hand input on what is working and what is not. Just make sure it's somebody who knows how to defend it. :)

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I'm doing this part already. My issue isn't skinny limbs. I'm not swole, but I'm not small either. About 17" arms at the moment. I'm definitely not above going for the trachea when competing, but I'd like to practice performing the technique properly so that I can apply it to my training partners without making their throats hurt and because the blood choke is just plain faster.

The issue is more of an anatomy thing: I have a 78.5" reach. There's just too much room in the "triangle" of the choke to get an average sized neck, so I'm looking for modifications to make.

Your point about going palm-to-palm isn't something I've considered. I think I get too hung up on "classic" technique when drilling this stuff, so I'll give that a shot next time I roll and report back.

I have long-ish arms too, and my coach told me to try and grab my *own* head, instead of my opponents. Then you press your head into theirs. Seemed to work, so its something else you might think about.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Can anyone suggest a good resource for triangle chokes? I've got the Ryan Hall set but I'm looking for more.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Can anyone suggest a good resource for triangle chokes? I've got the Ryan Hall set but I'm looking for more.

maybe bjjworldchampion online training center? might get good value there, IDK what it costs though.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I've been taking BJJ classes for about 10 months and it has been pretty fun. I wrestled when I was younger so it is nice to learn something new while being able to use my old skills. One thing I have been consistently having issues with is passing the closed guard of taller opponents (for reference I'm 5' 4 so a lot of people). The one beginning guard pass that works most often for me is the one where you control a sleeve, step into your opponent, and then bring them down while forcing your knee into their guard to create space. I use a lot of muscle for that pass so I was curious if there are more efficient ways for a short guy to pass closed guard.

On a side note a purple belt I was doing guard pass drills with did a knees to feet in my closed guard and then worked from there to pass my guard. Are there passes which use that or was he just messing around?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Long arms here too. Palm to palm all day. Wrist to shoulder. For head-and-arms and anacondas too. Use your head as a third arm also. Sometimes I can finish the RNC with just one arm and my head (using the other arm to keep them from defending two-on-one)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Use your head as a fifth arm also.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
My neck has turned my legs into legs

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Arm Leg Leg Arm Head

Nation of Gods and Triangles

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

district of thizz posted:

I've been taking BJJ classes for about 10 months and it has been pretty fun. I wrestled when I was younger so it is nice to learn something new while being able to use my old skills. One thing I have been consistently having issues with is passing the closed guard of taller opponents (for reference I'm 5' 4 so a lot of people). The one beginning guard pass that works most often for me is the one where you control a sleeve, step into your opponent, and then bring them down while forcing your knee into their guard to create space. I use a lot of muscle for that pass so I was curious if there are more efficient ways for a short guy to pass closed guard.

On a side note a purple belt I was doing guard pass drills with did a knees to feet in my closed guard and then worked from there to pass my guard. Are there passes which use that or was he just messing around?

Grab a sleeve, step into him, and stand up at an angle. Turn your hip and use your other hand to push the knee down and open guard. Seal your forward elbow and forward knee and begin passing from combat base. Obviously this works better in gi but closed guard no gi is slightly different. At least, if I'm not misinterpreting your comments and this isn't what you're already doing. The other pass you're talking about, did he have bicep control? That's my favorite pass for the closed guard in no-gi. Double bicep, stand up, block the hip, and pressure back with the knee in.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

awkward_turtle posted:

Grab a sleeve, step into him, and stand up at an angle. Turn your hip and use your other hand to push the knee down and open guard. Seal your forward elbow and forward knee and begin passing from combat base. Obviously this works better in gi but closed guard no gi is slightly different. At least, if I'm not misinterpreting your comments and this isn't what you're already doing. The other pass you're talking about, did he have bicep control? That's my favorite pass for the closed guard in no-gi. Double bicep, stand up, block the hip, and pressure back with the knee in.

I have done that as well. I usually don't stay standing up because some people will try to hook on my lead leg and I'm not really comfortable with any sort of leg attacks (though obviously this is something I would need to get used to). I'll try more from the standing position, as long as I keep control of the sleeve I should be safeish?

For the other pass, I believe he was controlling an arm and didn't have double bicep control. Is there a name for that pass? I thought it was kind of interesting.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

district of thizz posted:

I have done that as well. I usually don't stay standing up because some people will try to hook on my lead leg and I'm not really comfortable with any sort of leg attacks (though obviously this is something I would need to get used to). I'll try more from the standing position, as long as I keep control of the sleeve I should be safeish?

For the other pass, I believe he was controlling an arm and didn't have double bicep control. Is there a name for that pass? I thought it was kind of interesting.

When you say leg attacks do you mean transitioning to a submission(ankle lock/kneebar/etc) or trying to set up a sweep? In my experience it's very rare for guys to try to leglock you right as you stand up/open the guard(I literally can't remember the last time it's happened to me and I pass/open almost exclusively from my feet). In this situation it's my experience it's MUCH more common for guys to transition to some form of open guard or if like you said they're hooking your leg to transition to either the waiter sweep(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpedWVW4Owg) or the double ankle grab sweep(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjinHOYC0w). To be honest I'd rather deal with any of those situations then be in someones closed guard with my knees on the mat.

Actually, I'm curious how you guys are taught to pass. Do you pass primarily on your feet or the ground? At the first school I trained at we were taught to pass almost exclusively from the knees and my second school was like 70/30 knees vs feet. But at my current school we're taught to open the guard and initiate passes almost exclusively from out feet.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

dokomoy posted:

When you say leg attacks do you mean transitioning to a submission(ankle lock/kneebar/etc) or trying to set up a sweep? In my experience it's very rare for guys to try to leglock you right as you stand up/open the guard(I literally can't remember the last time it's happened to me and I pass/open almost exclusively from my feet). In this situation it's my experience it's MUCH more common for guys to transition to some form of open guard or if like you said they're hooking your leg to transition to either the waiter sweep(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpedWVW4Owg) or the double ankle grab sweep(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjinHOYC0w). To be honest I'd rather deal with any of those situations then be in someones closed guard with my knees on the mat.

Actually, I'm curious how you guys are taught to pass. Do you pass primarily on your feet or the ground? At the first school I trained at we were taught to pass almost exclusively from the knees and my second school was like 70/30 knees vs feet. But at my current school we're taught to open the guard and initiate passes almost exclusively from out feet.

When I wrote it I meant submissions but in retrospect they were probably going for sweeps. I've only drilled the straight ankle lock so I'm not used to how the other leg submissions feel. I think I'll try more standing passes next time. I'm okay at keeping my hips low so I can usually avoid those two sweeps.

From memory I think the passes that the beginning class goes over is about 70/30 knees vs feet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Long arms here too. Palm to palm all day. Wrist to shoulder. For head-and-arms and anacondas too. Use your head as a third arm also. Sometimes I can finish the RNC with just one arm and my head (using the other arm to keep them from defending two-on-one)

I'm having trouble visualizing this, but I guess the takeaway is "grab different stuff until choking happens," which I will definitely be doing.

I'm actually pretty good with arm triangles, ironically. I think the positioning on those lets my shoulder fill in more of the space.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We teach standing to break first but then a standing and a low pass once the legs open. Seems to work i see a lot of white belts succeed with it and less closed guard stall fests.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Hey check out this Jason Scully Back Transitions video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0e1Z4kKl4 it's got a bunch of cool stuff. I especially like the progression from half guard bottom at 4:30, that seems like it could be adapted to no gi fairly easily right?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

I'm having trouble visualizing this, but I guess the takeaway is "grab different stuff until choking happens," which I will definitely be doing.

I'm actually pretty good with arm triangles, ironically. I think the positioning on those lets my shoulder fill in more of the space.

Which part, the one arm/head RNC? I can provide some visuals sometime this weekend if so.
It's not like a go-to move for me or anything but I've caught it a few times when I couldn't get a standard RNC 'cause they were tying up my other arm.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

What is a nice Judo 101 book? I just started judo and would like a basic study aid, preferably with good pictures. I hit amazon google but there's a lot so I need help narrowing my search.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
The Judo masterclass series is fairly well respected, but the quality varies from book to book. I found Kashiwazaki's book on osaekomi and Yamashita's book on osoto to be indispensable as a beginner.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Which part, the one arm/head RNC? I can provide some visuals sometime this weekend if so.
It's not like a go-to move for me or anything but I've caught it a few times when I couldn't get a standard RNC 'cause they were tying up my other arm.

Yeah, I'm having trouble with the hold your head thing. I can't even do hold your foot stuff.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Xguard86 posted:

What is a nice Judo 101 book? I just started judo and would like a basic study aid, preferably with good pictures. I hit amazon google but there's a lot so I need help narrowing my search.

No clue about the books but a fun little starter tip: If you're gonna throw someone to the left, off balance them to the rear. You don't have to set someone up for a throw by trying to unbalance them in the opposite direction like a lot of people seem to try. No one actually over-compensates so hard in the other direction to make it a whole lot easier and it makes the set-up really obvious.

Gonna pull them over for a hip toss? Move them to the side to set it up.

This information might not be sustainable at higher levels of play, but it definitely makes things easier starting out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hmm that's actually a cool tip and will probably help my bjj too.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Xguard86 posted:

along these lines is there any well respected bjj beginners material? i'm supplementing my boxing / muay thai with some ground game. i have no wrestling and no older brothers so i may be clinically retarded at this. i don't want to know ALL THE SUBMISSIONS i just want some food for thought to keep me thinking in between classes by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Marching Powder posted:

along these lines is there any well respected bjj beginners material? i'm supplementing my boxing / muay thai with some ground game. i have no wrestling and no older brothers so i may be clinically retarded at this. i don't want to know ALL THE SUBMISSIONS i just want some food for thought to keep me thinking in between classes by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

I've really liked Jiu Jitsu University.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Seconding Jiu Jitsu University. Even without all the techniques in there, Saulo's grappling philosophy is valuable in itself.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Chexoid posted:

Seconding Jiu Jitsu University. Even without all the techniques in there, Saulo's grappling philosophy is valuable in itself.

Hell yes. The technical stuff is reference material for things you should be learning in class anyway, but the writing about attitude, survival and keeping calm should be required reading for everyone in combat sports.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
well that's enough for me. cheers for the advice, book's on its way.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya jj university is the poo poo. I think particularly the white belt section because it brings the whole game down to something a white belt can actually process and manage.

Someone come and post the judo version

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Someone come and post the judo version

Cmon yall.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodokan-Judo-Essential-Founder-Jigoro/dp/4770017995/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359794256&sr=8-1&keywords=jigoro+kano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gonna throw my hat in with JJ University. It totally changed the way I roll for the better.

I had a question. I'm 5'8 and about 155 and I actually find myself getting caught by people who are slightly behind me in skill but range in the 180 or more pound range. I think I know the answer, but is there anything fundamentally wrong in my skills you think, or is it all just size? It never usually feels like I'm getting lured into compromising positions, more like I'm being physically forced into them.