Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I downloaded the Unknown64 vst and it generally works fine, but occasionally since installing it I'll get this error message and Live will crash. Any ideas? I really like the plugin and would like to continue using it.

edit: :argh: it just did it again, and I just noticed it's a different line every time. This time it did it when I was changing the BPM with ASIO4ALL audio device as opposed to my usual Focusrite USB 2.0

edit2: removed the plugin and it works fine without any crashes or errors. Should I just give up on that one and find another or is there a simple fix?

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Can anybody tell me how to sync my MIDI gear to Ableton properly? When playing back a MIDI drumloop, the sound from the external drum machine arrives about 1/32 of a note late. I'm trying to use the MIDI Sync Delay sliders for input and output of my MIDI interface, but strangely it doesn't seem to do anything.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Right now I use Ableton to write songs for my band. Currently there are seven of us, a drummer, bass, 3 guitars and 2 singers. 3 Guitars are a little too much so being the least talented of the 3 I'd like to bow out and play some live keys and samples during the set. The music we play is hardcore/industrial and our live performances are usually a pretty big production. We use a DVD player to project videos with my music sans guitars and vocals in the background as a backing track. That means all keys, samples and drums are on the DVD. One of the problems we have is that the keys and samples don't cut through the mix enough. If I turn them up in the mix on the DVD then our drummer can't hear the beats clear enough to follow. He uses headphones through a separate mixer that gets it's mix from the house board. My idea is to get a laptop and midi controller and my interface to play live without the DVD player. I'd like to play the videos inside Ableton on my laptop and play keys/samples live (through Ableton). I can setup Ableton to send my keys through outs 1/2 and the video audio through outs 3/4 on my interface this way the drummer can get audio from the video only. So my question is how can I send the videos out to the LCD projector full screen while seeing the usual Ableton workspace on my laptop? I realize that by going away from the 'Keep It Simple, Stupid!' method to something horribly more complicated probably isn't the smartest way to play live but I put a ton of work into every song and I want everything I've created to come through as clearly as possible. Any ideas or better solutions would be greatly appreciated!

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
My understanding of this new Music --> MIDI ish is that I wil now be able to just sing out the ideas I have in my head and get the notes... this is a game changer (for a music scrub like me).

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Rivethead posted:

how can I send the videos out to the LCD projector full screen while seeing the usual Ableton workspace on my laptop?

Couldn't you set the projector up as a second monitor instead of having it mirror your display? That way you can play the video off to the second monitor and still keep Ableton on your laptop.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Couldn't you set the projector up as a second monitor instead of having it mirror your display? That way you can play the video off to the second monitor and still keep Ableton on your laptop.

I didn't even think of that. :doh:

I was thinking it was a function of Ableton or a 3rd party plugin or ???!

Thanks!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder when Ableton is gonna give up trying to call their software "Live" and just call it "Ableton" themselves.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

FLX posted:

Can anybody tell me how to sync my MIDI gear to Ableton properly? When playing back a MIDI drumloop, the sound from the external drum machine arrives about 1/32 of a note late. I'm trying to use the MIDI Sync Delay sliders for input and output of my MIDI interface, but strangely it doesn't seem to do anything.
What kind of audio interface do you have, and what buffer settings are you using?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Radiapathy posted:

What kind of audio interface do you have, and what buffer settings are you using?

I've got the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB at 256 samples. I just noticed when I looked for this, that the driver error compensation got me an overall latency of about 15ms. I reduced it to almost 0ms and I'll try again. I somehow didn't think about the audio interface, and thought it was the MIDI interfaces fault.

EDIT: It's still the same. I guess there has to be a delay, because the MIDI goes from Ableton to the drums/synth and from there the audio goes back into Ableton and then to my speakers. I was just under the impression that the MIDI delay settings could fix this.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 21, 2013

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I managed to get into the super secret invite only push demo room at NAMM. It's amazing and I'm going to get one as soon as they come out. It's the perfect blend of hardware instrument and software integration.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I'm super excited for the Push. We still have no ETA I guess? Early Feb is looking unlikely.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

I managed to get into the super secret invite only push demo room at NAMM. It's amazing and I'm going to get one as soon as they come out. It's the perfect blend of hardware instrument and software integration.

I'm really excited for this, though the price gives me sticker shock! Can you give us a little more info on the pads? How responsive do they feel and do you think it'll work well as a live playing device?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I've been watching the videos as they've been going up on youtube, Push looks fantastic and I'm going to have to start saving for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WonRC4w8nQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPDFzyCI7r4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRB1Sh9zEnw

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I just watched that last Push video and holy poo poo am I all over this. I thought this would be a pretty useless piece of kit for anyone with a few Novation controllers when I read the first press release, but seeing the workflow integration is just amazing. I need this.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Everybody's probably waiting for Push, but if you're looking for something cheaper Amazon & B&H Photo have the Akai APC40 for $186. Looks like it's still around $300 everywhere else.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Soup in a Bag posted:

Everybody's probably waiting for Push, but if you're looking for something cheaper Amazon & B&H Photo have the Akai APC40 for $186. Looks like it's still around $300 everywhere else.

I'm thinking of heading into guitar center to pick one up because they will apparently price match Amazon. The push looks cool but I think its just a bit overpriced. I believe the APC40 had the same list price at launch so maybe it will come down.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
That push looks like a really rad tax return gift to myself. Im excited to try out the keyboard mode.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I just got the biggest boner watching that Push video. Wow. I'm going to be giving Ableton a LOT of money this year.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Push is way cooler than an APC40, I wouldn't waste the $180 or whatever. The pads are great, but more importantly the workflow to create music is super fast. It's an amazing blend of step sequencing and live performance.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

I'm thinking of heading into guitar center to pick one up because they will apparently price match Amazon. The push looks cool but I think its just a bit overpriced. I believe the APC40 had the same list price at launch so maybe it will come down.

the apc40 has a lot of short comings IMO. I would wait on push, and plus, the APC is going to come down in price now that its been out a while and has to compete with push.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The apc40 is worth the $180 in my opinion. There are tons of templates for it that upgrade the functionality and it gives a lot of tactile controls which make jamming fun. That said, I still plan on selling mine (in sa mart) along with my padkontrol/nativekontrol for the desk space savings. I'll take a wait and see approach on the Push since a midi controller for $600 is more than I can realistically see myself paying.

The MPK49 is another nice option that's on sale for about $180.

edit: guitar center has the push for $510 with free shipping (but probably tax for most people) - if you use code bowl47 or whatever's on the front page.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 3, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Coming from a user of the APC40 for both DJing and production, I get far more use out of it as an effects controller for the latter. I really like the idea of the APC40, and with the right Max For Live devices it can be pretty versatile for step sequencing and whatnot. That being said, if you're not spending nearly all of your time composing using the session view, I find the limitations of the APC40 become much more noticeable and grating. The lack of velocity sensitivity really hurts the utility, and I kind of wish there was more freedom in how the hardware is used without relying on Max4Live.

Push is just going to be way more intuitive and really has that freedom that I wanted in a controller- freedom and integration both the APC40 and Launchpad fell a little short on I feel.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 5, 2013

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

Coming from a user of the APC40 for both DJing and production, I get far more use out of it as an effects controller for the latter. I really like the idea of the APC40, and with the right Max For Live devices it can be pretty versatile for step sequencing and whatnot. That being said, if you're not spending nearly all of your time composing using the session view, I find the limitations of the APC40 become much more noticeable and grating. The lack of velocity sensitivity really hurts the utility, and I kind of wish there was more freedom in how the hardware is used without relying on Max4Live.

Push is just going to be way more intuitive and really has that freedom that I wanted in a controller- freedom and integration both the APC40 and Launchpad fell a little short on I feel.

The 5 rows of clips are a little constricting too when you can't choke between tracks. I love to load up the APC with a single song chopped up into loops at a bunch of starting points and just jam between them. Having 8 instead of 5 to hop between without scrolling would be nice. That's why I think the PUSH will be a better clip launcher.

My question is how well it will replace a keyboard, it doesn't have a modwheel/pitchbend (just one touch strip that I assume can be assigned to either).

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The 5 rows of clips are a little constricting too when you can't choke between tracks. I love to load up the APC with a single song chopped up into loops at a bunch of starting points and just jam between them. Having 8 instead of 5 to hop between without scrolling would be nice. That's why I think the PUSH will be a better clip launcher.

My question is how well it will replace a keyboard, it doesn't have a modwheel/pitchbend (just one touch strip that I assume can be assigned to either).

The pads are velocity and pressure sensitive. Map the pressure to your modulation and map the touch strip to pitch.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm hoping the Push isn't 'too good to be true'- it seems to have a lot of features and the promo videos make it seem very intuitive and easy to use. Plus I'd love to get rid of my Keyrig and APC40 to buy one. It'll save a lot of desk and room space. I'm not much of a piano player, so the keyboard was a workflow jamming tool, which the Push seems more than capable of. It'll also reduce my DJ footprint by a bunch. An S4 + APC40 is just way too bulky for the modern controllerist on the go.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Does Live have somewhere to record notes about projects like the Fruity Notepad? That thing's seriously useful. I can't write on a piece of paper and save it into the .als file.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Does Live have somewhere to record notes about projects like the Fruity Notepad? That thing's seriously useful. I can't write on a piece of paper and save it into the .als file.

I've used locators for miscellanious notes: you can add them by right clicking on the timeline on top. The good thing with locators are that they always refer to a point in time so notes like "add more bass here" are easy to add. The bad thing is, though, that those locators are not very good for large volumes of text or if you already have other uses for the locators.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

If you do need more text than locators you can use the Lessons feature, you have to edit externally but you can save them with your als file to view them with it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct11/articles/live-tech-1011.htm

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Right click on a track header or clip and "Edit Info Text". You can enter in 11 lines of text that will display in the mouseover Info View in the lower left corner.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

There are some M4L patches that let you add notes, not much help now but when M4L is part of Live Suite these kinds of solutions will be much more relevant.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm confused... are we able to preorder Push yet? I'm trying to pick it up with the Live 9 Suite but can't figure it out.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I'm confused... are we able to preorder Push yet? I'm trying to pick it up with the Live 9 Suite but can't figure it out.

You can't preorder Push through Ableton yet, but you can through other places.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/ableton-push-software-controller

Its on Musician's Friend for $599. It looks like upgrade software from MF is $499 for standard and $699 for Suite so it would be cheaper to just order through Ableton, where the Push and Standard is $948 and Push and Suite is $1198.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 9, 2013

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Fuckin March 5th yo!!!!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

SkandalousPanda posted:

Mr. White! Fuckin March 5th yo!!!!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I purchased Live 8 Standard w/ free 9 upgrade for $337 when the 25% discount deal was first announced. I just decided I want Suite instead only to find that my upgrade price is $299. Meanwhile, it only costs $187 more than standard to buy Suite new (both now and when I purchased Standard). Does that seem off to anyone else? It would be cheaper for me to sell my Standard license at a huge discount (say $237) and then buy Suite new than it would be to upgrade from Standard to Suite. That's ridiculous and doesn't seem like it's even in Ableton's best interests: someone who probably would buy Standard new from Ableton would instead buy it second hand.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I would tell them the situation and ask if you can pay the difference. Worst they can do is say no.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Why can't I preorder Push and 9 now? I'm afraid I'm going to pay my rent and then not be able to afford it.

every
Apr 24, 2008

utamaru posted:

Why can't I preorder Push and 9 now? I'm afraid I'm going to pay my rent and then not be able to afford it.

I love your prioritization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

utamaru posted:

Based off of the wording on the website, I assume that Push won't be ready until after 9 is out, and they might not know how many will be ready for the first batch.

Look around, you might be better off buying/upgrading Live through Ableton and Push through an external shop with a coupon than buying both through Ableton.