Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe there's no such thing as fate:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zenzirouj posted:

The Emperor's dead body turns into a big white ghost-tree.

Like the king of Midland, after his darling Charlotte was taken before he had consented. Where is Charlotte now, and did she wear protection?

It really leads me as a reader to ponder: "In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In a universe where God did not exist, we would have to invent him (or at least let sinister demonic demi-gods impersonate him.)

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Zenzirouj posted:

When Griffith (in Femto form) was dicking around on the Emperor's face, Skull Knight zooped in right behind him and tried to slash him with his Behelit-sword that he made by eating lots of Behelits until he poo poo them out as one big sword. The poo-sword is supposed to be able to kill anything regardless of destiny, since it's made of little faceballs whose entire purpose is loving around with destiny. But, it turns out that it was Just As Planned and Femto bends the space where he would have gotten cut (apparently this is a thing he can do). He plops the slash on top of the Emperor, which (presumably) kills him. This fucks the poo poo out of everything and makes the spirit world and the real world cram together because reasons.

At a few points earlier in the series, it was remarked that an apostle's body is a link between the corporeal and astral realms. Hence why the emperor built a giant tank out of apostles stitched together to create monsters and power himself up into a mega-apostle. And Skull Knight just happens to have a nifty sword that can slice the barriers between dimensions. Griffith used that sword to cut open a huge apostle, and boom, the astral realm basically spills out and overwhelms the corporeal realm.

It's all pretty nuts, but it's not like Miura pulled it out of his rear end or something. Overall, the Berserk universe has a pretty awesome logic to it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Guts giving up on revenge isn't the same as forgiving or absolving Griffith.

Surprise, everything about Guts is just the prologue for the main story that will revolve around Gut's son and his quest for revenge. :smug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Skimming through some of the most recent chapters, I have a question: What is up with the magic tattoo looking thing covering up Guts' Eclipse brand? I've only read/watched up to the Eclipse and parts of the Kushan arc, so I'm probably out of the loop.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Skimming through some of the most recent chapters, I have a question: What is up with the magic tattoo looking thing covering up Guts' Eclipse brand? I've only read/watched up to the Eclipse and parts of the Kushan arc, so I'm probably out of the loop.
The gang met a witch some time ago, and she painted that on to lessen the effects of the brand. Schierke was that witch's apprentice and refreshes the painted thing every now and then.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Finally got around the watching the second movie. I enjoyed it, though it wasn't as good as it could have been and there were definitely parts, that people have already mentioned, where I was like "What? Why would they make that decision?"

The last 15 minutes had a lot of really nice animation in it because they were no longer on the battlefield and could actually animate things traditionally. Everything on the snowy hill looked great, and there was some really nice movement in the scene with the king and the torturer. The best piece of movement was when the torturer dropped the behelit and scrambled over to the grate trying to catch it. From an animation stand point that really impressed me.
CG was eh. Understand why it's there. It's blah.

The music, though, is really blah when it could have been so much better. I know they don't have Hirasawa but they could at least get someone to make stuff that isn't completely forgettable. It's like the Hellsing OVAs, which also have terribly generic music, which is sad considering the TV versions of both Berserk and Hellsing had awesome soundtracks.

I've found these movies are good for getting people who don't have the patience for the manga to get into the series. That and the few moments of really awesome animation are the only reason I like that these movies exist. I hope the third movie really raises the bar.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Gotta love "Battle of Doldrey" for the mere fact that they had to cut so much for time, like Zodd throwing Guts his sword during the battle and a lot of the backstory stuff, and then have like five solid minutes of everyone just dancing. :psyduck:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Also, regarding the manga:

I think the ultimate question that's coming down the pike for the future is "How important is revenge"? Griffith is bringing together humanity and the demons. He's make it work and could really expand his borders until everyone is living a peaceful life. I'd imagine he's immortal at this point, as in he can't die of old age, so he could be the only thing saving humanity.

Guts is changing into the kind of character who may very well be able to, not entirely forgive Griffith, but recognize what he's doing and allow him to live to save humanity....or he could just say gently caress everything and rip Griffith apart. Either would make a good ending.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

or he could just say gently caress everything and rip Griffith apart.

DING DING DING

Anything else would be pretty jarring for both the series and the character.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Though said ending would/will not be "good" in the slightest, what with it probably entailing the destruction of humanity and all :v:

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

E the Shaggy posted:

Also, regarding the manga:

Griffith is bringing together humanity and the demons. He's make it work and could really expand his borders until everyone is living a peaceful life.

"The blind king of the white sheep serves as shepherd to the villainy of the black sheep. And he calls forth an era of darkness upon the world." (Chapter 110)
The translation sucks, but maybe the blind king refers to the pope? The black sheep sounds like Femto/Griffith to me. Either way, I doubt an "era of darkness" is a peaceful coexistence between man and monster. Only the Apostles appear capable of that.

van fem fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 28, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Also, what is the population of humanity in the Berserk world? Its gotta be like only 1,000 with these demon apocalypses happening constantly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Also, what is the population of humanity in the Berserk world? Its gotta be like only 1,000 with these demon apocalypses happening constantly.

Nah, if there is one thing humans can do it is procreate. Just think of the demon apocalypse as a slightly exaggerated version of normal medieval child mortality rates.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nah, if there is one thing humans can do it is procreate. Just think of the demon apocalypse as a slightly exaggerated version of normal medieval child mortality rates.

Remember the fairy apostle? She managed to abduct approximately 300,000 children from a town with a population of 62.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ccs posted:

The music, though, is really blah when it could have been so much better. I know they don't have Hirasawa but they could at least get someone to make stuff that isn't completely forgettable. It's like the Hellsing OVAs, which also have terribly generic music, which is sad considering the TV versions of both Berserk and Hellsing had awesome soundtracks.

It's a shame really since it's by Shiro Sagisu who usually does really memorable soundtracks, Evangelion for sure wouldn't be the same with a different composer.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Remember the fairy apostle? She managed to abduct approximately 300,000 children from a town with a population of 62.
The whole arc with Rosine is one of my favorite parts of the whole series. After Guts kills a sick gently caress like Mozgus or Wyald you think "good, the world's better off" but when he offs Rosine you just feel empty inside. She wasn't a cruel monster like so many other humans and demons, she was just a scared little girl who wanted to be loved and who was manipulated into doing evil. Her whole existence is just a fantastic tragedy. If (when) Guts cuts Griffith into little pieces like he deserves, you can expect the same feeling times a billion because it's probably going to result in the annihilation of humanity.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I dunno, the fake fairies were pretty messed up.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Don't forget that good Griffith is only there to allow the God Hand to manifest in the "real" world.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

I dunno, the fake fairies were pretty messed up.
I'd say they were the most disturbing thing in the whole manga. Especially that one page/panel of the reveal

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Yeah, the "adult attack" was revolting even by Berserk standards. I'm probably just being too sympathetic towards a psychopathic child because she seemed slightly less horrible in comparison to other villains of the series. I just didn't feel that catharsis from Rosine's death like with so many of Guts's other targets; she was more like a dangerous lunatic who had to be put down for the good of humanity.

Are they ever gonna land on Elf Island?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

van fem posted:

"The blind king of the white sheep serves as shepherd to the villainy of the black sheep. And he calls forth an era of darkness upon the world." (Chapter 110)
The translation sucks, but maybe the blind king refers to the pope? The black sheep sounds like Femto/Griffith to me. Either way, I doubt an "era of darkness" is a peaceful coexistence between man and monster. Only the Apostles appear capable of that.

Black sheep are more likely the apostles/demons, as contrasted with the white sheep (people). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the correct translation is that the white sheep are blind, not the king.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This manga.

I love how every time poo poo is about to go down for real I just put on the most badass music I can think of and grin like Gutts.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

cooldude2.0 posted:

I'd say they were the most disturbing thing in the whole manga. Especially that one page/panel of the reveal

As someone unfamiliar with that part of Berserk, what page or issue or we talking about?

Am I going to regret this? :ohdear:

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Just read the Misty Valley arc anyway because if you don't already feel bad you will after wards.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
Did anyone see Descent?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheRamblingSoul posted:

As someone unfamiliar with that part of Berserk, what page or issue or we talking about?

Am I going to regret this? :ohdear:

You'll immediately realize what page it is as soon as you reach it. There is actually another page, the one where you see that Guts is the bigger monster, that is really striking too.

Just read it. This arc is the closest thing that Berserk has to a one-shot and it is extremely good. It also marks the point where Guts hit peak angry. The whole thing is brutal and perfectly shows how a child with that kind of(demonic) power would be terrifying but not truly "evil".

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

trucutru posted:

You'll immediately realize what page it is as soon as you reach it. There is actually another page, the one where you see that Guts is the bigger monster, that is really striking too.

Just read it. This arc is the closest thing that Berserk has to a one-shot and it is extremely good. It also marks the point where Guts hit peak angry. The whole thing is brutal and perfectly shows how a child with that kind of(demonic) power would be terrifying but not truly "evil".

Guts hitting Peak Angry was really well done, I felt on edge the whole time reading that part. I wonder if Casca will eventually die, possibly killing herself after having her mind restored? And I wonder how messed up angry Guts will get at that.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Some have suggested that after getting her mind back Casca could side with Griffith despite all the horrible poo poo he's done. If anything could drive Guts over the edge, give into the Hellhound and completely lose his humanity, that would be it. And it would fit with the tragic theme of Berserk more than fighting the stupid pirate gang again.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see that happening. Guts did some nasty poo poo to her but nowhere near as bad as what Femto did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Caska was dedicated to Griffith, but she was also dedicated to the band of the hawk way more than Guts was. Even if she could forgive everything else, Caska would never forgive someone who killed all of her men.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, I could see Casca still siding with Griffith if the "find a cure" story arc ends with her getting just enough of her sanity back to not be a mute invalid, but not enough to not be a crazy person.

That would be Berserk as gently caress. :unsmigghh:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just see Cascas storyline going Strong Woman -> Horrible poo poo -> Mind Crumbles to save itself from the horror -> Mind Restored -> Suicide.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I can't imagine Casca going to rejoin Griffith at this stage, but I can definitely see her regaining her sanity (through elf magic or whatever) and immediately pulling a Guts, abandoning everyone who cares about her, and wandering the world killing poo poo until she dies.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Affi posted:

I just see Cascas storyline going Strong Woman -> Horrible poo poo -> Mind Crumbles to save itself from the horror -> Mind Restored -> Suicide.

Alternately: she gets even *angrier* than Guts, kills lots of demons

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

Some have suggested that after getting her mind back Casca could side with Griffith despite all the horrible poo poo he's done. If anything could drive Guts over the edge, give into the Hellhound and completely lose his humanity, that would be it. And it would fit with the tragic theme of Berserk more than fighting the stupid pirate gang again.

I still think this will happen. I don't think Caska will remember what happened, and her loyalty to Griffith will drive her back.

Which, yes, will drive Guts against the God Hand once again.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

Zorak posted:

I still think this will happen. I don't think Caska will remember what happened, and her loyalty to Griffith will drive her back.

Which, yes, will drive Guts against the God Hand once again.

I don't see how she could overlook what happened, unless Guts decides not to tell her. ...All the more reason to kill Griffith.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, the eclipse happened back in 1996/97, its plausible that Caska won't have her mind restored until 20 years since she portrayed as a coherent character. She's the only link Guts has to before the eclipse, her becoming conversational again would change the tone of the current group so much.

Somehow I can't reconcile the idea of her becoming not mute in the current state of the world. I think it's leading to false hope. I can't imagine anything short of a confrontation with Griffith that would alter the narrative so much. She was only there for the (mostly) sane stuff, the super natural stuff wasn't in full force until both at the start, and then after the eclipse. Her character would bridge the story from both the start, the status quo, and the longest portion of the story in length by far. This manga may be longer than the life of the protagonist.

Zewle fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 2, 2013

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Zewle posted:

I don't see how she could overlook what happened, unless Guts decides not to tell her. ...All the more reason to kill Griffith.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, the eclipse happened back in 1996/97, its plausible that Caska won't have her mind restored until 20 years since she portrayed as a coherent character. She's the only link Guts has to before the eclipse, her becoming conversational again would change the tone of the current group so much.

Somehow I can't reconcile the idea of her becoming not mute in the current state of the world. I think it's leading to false hope. I can't imagine anything short of a confrontation with Griffith that would alter the narrative so much. She was only there for the (mostly) sane stuff, the super natural stuff wasn't in full force until both at the start, and then after the eclipse. Her character would bridge the story from both the start, the status quo, and the longest portion of the story in length by far. This manga may be longer than the life of the protagonist.

I agree; I really can't see Caska becoming sane ever again, or at least sane with her prior memories intact. I really can't see an scenario where she regains her sanity AND her memories, given what Griffith did to her and what the world has become since. I can definitely see her regaining her sanity without her memory, but not both. Symbolically as well; I mean, didn't she represent the innocence of both Guts and Griffith before the Eclipse? Her choosing Guts over Griffith was the proverbial last straw, if I recall correctly, precipitating the sequence of events leading up to the Eclipse. And Griffith's violation of her during the Eclipse, and her subsequent loss of sanity, seems to symbolize the irrevocable change the world - and both Griffith and Guts - went through. As such, she can never be what she was before, the way I see it. The Caska of the past is forever lost, just like the innocence of the non-mystical world before Griffith's awakening, and both the present and future are both merely hollow echoes of what was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sane or not, I don't see her adapting well to a world filled with monsters where everyone she ever cared about is either dead, slightly insane and changed almost beyond recognition, an invincible demi-god who raped her, or Rickert. If pre-Eclipse Guts was suddenly dumped into the current situation I don't think he would cope any better, but instead he has had years to come to terms with what his life has become.

There really is no happy ending to this story.