Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope some theme developers were hard at work - I need some change on my 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I hope some theme developers were hard at work - I need some change on my 5.

Same

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I just updated my iPhone 5 to 6.1 from 6.0.2, only to find out that every backup I have from my iPhone 5 has been corrupt. According to iTunes, at least. Trying to restore any of the backups I've saved since having this phone is telling me I can't. I'm reinstalling 6.1 again to make sure it's not something that can fix, which I hope it is, but if not I'm pretty boned. No, I don't use iCloud.

So, I hate you jailbreak thread. If not for you, I'd have ignored what iOS I was using for the next 8 months.

The only solution I have if none of this works is making a new backup from my 3Gs which has all of my contacts and most important things, and restoring to that. I'd only have lost a few months if I do that. That is, unless someone else has any suggestions?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

decypher posted:

Download 6.1 iPhone Software.
Plug iPhone into iTunes.
Transfer all purchases, and back up iPhone to iTunes.
Shift-Click Restore, point it to the 6.1 iPhone Software you downloaded.
Restore.
Point it to the backup you just performed.
Sync over all the Apps and Music.

Everything should be how it was before, except now you'll have the "stock" 6.1 software without the fuckery OTA updates introduce.

Note: This is only fuckery concerning jailbreaking. OTA updates are perfectly acceptable if you don't plan on jailbreaking.

For some reason, even when downloading the 6.1 update from iTunes directly, it fails on the update. Cannot be verified. I guess I know what I'll be screwing around with tomorrow.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Super Deuce posted:

I just updated my iPhone 5 to 6.1 from 6.0.2, only to find out that every backup I have from my iPhone 5 has been corrupt. According to iTunes, at least. Trying to restore any of the backups I've saved since having this phone is telling me I can't. I'm reinstalling 6.1 again to make sure it's not something that can fix, which I hope it is, but if not I'm pretty boned. No, I don't use iCloud.

So, I hate you jailbreak thread. If not for you, I'd have ignored what iOS I was using for the next 8 months.

The only solution I have if none of this works is making a new backup from my 3Gs which has all of my contacts and most important things, and restoring to that. I'd only have lost a few months if I do that. That is, unless someone else has any suggestions?

I would download the iPhone backup extractor application to see if you can access your backup that way.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I would download the iPhone backup extractor application to see if you can access your backup that way.

I can access the backup using that program, however it costs money to fully use, which I definitely don't have. So, I can recover 4 contacts, 2 pictures, etc. It seems the backup itself is totally okay, it just won't restore to this iOS.

Edit- Okay, I'm thinking there is something wrong with the 6.1 that iTunes downloaded. Every backup from either my 3Gs or 5 says the same thing. Including ones I've made with nothing to have been backed up. I guess I should post this in the other iPhone thread, which I will. Though I still blame all of you for my inadequacies.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 2, 2013

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Look for a program called iExplorer. I think there's a trial, and it'll let you look through old backups.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Look for a program called iExplorer. I think there's a trial, and it'll let you look through old backups.

This is going to infuriate me even more. Backups created after saying they fail actually have all of the information packaged in them. Why isn't it restoring correctly, damnit!

I suppose I could just wait for the jailbreak to be released and manually move everything. See, Apple! This is why we should be able to access our phones!

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 2, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

..., and that's before talking about functional modifications like SSH and OpenVPN.

OpenVPN recently released a client for iOS, just download the OpenVPN app on the AppStore. It ties into the original Apple VPN framework and it works extremely well for a v1.0.

The only minir downside is that you have to launch the connection from the Application itself instead of the Settings -> VPN preference pane, even though it shows up there.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Super Deuce posted:

This is going to infuriate me even more. Backups created after saying they fail actually have all of the information packaged in them. Why isn't it restoring correctly, damnit!

I suppose I could just wait for the jailbreak to be released and manually move everything. See, Apple! This is why we should be able to access our phones!

It sounds like your iTunes is hosed, honestly. Try moving your backups to another computer and try restoring them that way, or go through the big old rigmarole of uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

eames posted:

OpenVPN recently released a client for iOS, just download the OpenVPN app on the AppStore. It ties into the original Apple VPN framework and it works extremely well for a v1.0.

The only minir downside is that you have to launch the connection from the Application itself instead of the Settings -> VPN preference pane, even though it shows up there.

what is this mad wizardry now

Fake edit: holy poo poo you're right :swoon:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Super Deuce posted:

I don't know what's going on with your backups, but do you really have your Contacts only saved locally? What's wrong with iCloud?

Also, even if you cannot restore from a backup, you should be able to extract individual app settings (saved games, etc) from your backup and restore that (again, individually) to apps on your device.

When I do a restore (Wipe & Restore), I sometimes do *not* restore from backup - but my device is pretty much exactly as it was before I wiped it.

iCloud holds my Contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc. I have individual game and app settings backed up (server list in iTeleport, all my progress in Angry Birds, the past two years of benchmarks in Speed Test, etc).

It takes some time, but I get the "fresh restore" device, but with all my stuffs still there.

eames posted:

The Cisco AnyConnect client works the same. You have to launch the app to connect to VPN.

The OpenVPN thing may be quite a big deal. I even bought it up during a meeting at work. "iOS supports OpenVPN now, so we will probably be dropping Cisco and moving to that".

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Dewgy posted:

For when this hits, are there any interesting tweaks to do SMS from my Wi-Fi iPad? I'd love to basically just bridge it with my iPhone, and I figure JB is the only way to go about that.

You could use WifiSMS and text from a browser on your iPad. It'll synch your conversations too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wonder if the gang will hit their Sunday mark. Seems close but not necessarily close enough...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I've had my second-hand iPhone 3G for a whole week before trying to jailbreak it. Whited00r seems pretty good, easy to install, and updates it a lot. I assume it's not going to instantly kill the gently caress out of my phone or anything, right? :ohdear:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 2, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

VogeGandire posted:

So I've had my second-hand iPhone 3G for a whole week before trying to jailbreak it. Whited00r seems pretty good, easy to install, and updates it a lot. I assume it's not going to instantly kill the gently caress out of my phone or anything, right? :ohdear:

It's more or less impossible to instantly kill the gently caress out of any iDevice because DFU mode exists as a contingency. As long as you don't drive a nail through the phone or anything, you'll be fine.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Knock on wood, it seems to be going alright. I kept getting Error 1604, but after a bit of googling, I found iReb, and that seems to have worked. Just waiting for it to restore now :ohdear:

(e): There, works fine. I'm genuinely impressed that they added focus to the camera etc. I would have thought that would have been a limit of the hardware.

gently caress yeah jailbreaking.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 2, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Google isn't giving me any clear answers, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know a good way to trim down the disk space being used by "Other"? Right now it's at 700mb, which on an 8gb 3GS, is quite a bit.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Google isn't giving me any clear answers, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know a good way to trim down the disk space being used by "Other"? Right now it's at 700mb, which on an 8gb 3GS, is quite a bit.

If you're jailbroken, check your /Library/SMS/Attachments folder.

Before iOS 6.1, all SMS attachments never got deleted.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

If you're jailbroken, check your /Library/SMS/Attachments folder.

Before iOS 6.1, all SMS attachments never got deleted.

Just checked and there's virtually nothing there. Phone is fairly new (set it up only a few days ago from a clean restore).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

After struggling against the "Your phone requires version <x> to install this app" on the stock phone, Time Machine is a bloody godsend :allears:

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Today I got my phone all ready for the upcoming jailbreak with the instructions on the previous pages to get up to 6.1 the only issue I had was apparently the option to shift-clicking to browse to the 6.1 update I downloaded didn't open a browse window to select the file, guessing it doesn't work on a Mac. It didn't seem to matter as iTunes did update the phone to 6.1 anyway. When I went to restore my backup I got an error message but I canceled out, unplugged the phone, plugged it back in and the restore went through without any issue.

The last thing I did with my iPhone 4 before I reset it to factory default to sell it was send myself an AppInfo Email and I've had it in my inbox for the last few months missing my apps, a few of note:

3G Unrestrictor
biteSMS
BytaFont
CyDelete
f.lux
Five Icon Dock
FolderEnhancer
iFile
LockInfo
MyWi
SBSettings

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
You have to option click on a Mac. I think it should work with a vanilla restore though, shouldn't it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It was shift click on my Mac.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

decypher posted:

Download 6.1 iPhone Software.
Plug iPhone into iTunes.
Transfer all purchases, and back up iPhone to iTunes.
Shift-Click Restore, point it to the 6.1 iPhone Software you downloaded.
Restore.
Point it to the backup you just performed.
Sync over all the Apps and Music.

Everything should be how it was before, except now you'll have the "stock" 6.1 software without the fuckery OTA updates introduce.

Note: This is only fuckery concerning jailbreaking. OTA updates are perfectly acceptable if you don't plan on jailbreaking.

Stupid question...where do I download the 6.1 Software from? I tried :google: and found some links...but I couldn't find anything from Apple.com directly, so I wanted to make sure I was getting a legit 6.1 copy...

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

iTunes.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

I probably should've specified...I already did the OTA, so iTunes says I already have 6.1.

How do I force it to re-download then?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Ozmodiar posted:

I probably should've specified...I already did the OTA, so iTunes says I already have 6.1.

How do I force it to re-download then?

http://gdeluxe.com/ios-6-download-links-all-devices/

e: better URL vv

http://osxdaily.com/2013/01/28/ios-6-1-released-download/

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2013

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

That was the one I found...just making sure it was legit.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Well, it took almost an hour an a half...but it was pretty painless to go through this whole process.

Looking forward to the jailbreak being released soon...is there anything else I need to do to be ready for it? This will be the first time I attempt to jailbreak any iDevice.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 3, 2013

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Looks like the first round of testing is over. This thing can't be far away now.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Evasion's site says the ETA is 1PM EST.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Looking forward to liberating my new Mini... how do these releases usually play out? Shitstorm mob grinding some poor server to a halt after 10 seconds or can we expect enough distribution channels to feed the masses?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If I already have 6.1 OTA would I need to restore to a previous version before shift-restore to a "stock" 6.1?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Poncho Pete posted:

Looking forward to liberating my new Mini... how do these releases usually play out? Shitstorm mob grinding some poor server to a halt after 10 seconds or can we expect enough distribution channels to feed the masses?

Wait for someone to rehost it here will probably be better unless their servers magically hold.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I spend hours trying to find out how to run the config on Whited00r 6, but all the guides were for version 5.

Turns out I just needed to type "setup" into terminal :negative:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait for someone to rehost it here will probably be better unless their servers magically hold.

If I can get a copy, I'll host it on my domain, pseudonordic.org

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
God I hope this thing comes through today, it's been far too long. I just want simple poo poo like my folders closing after I launch an app. and biteSMS.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

pseudonordic posted:

If I can get a copy, I'll host it on my domain, pseudonordic.org

If we get a magnet link or torrent for it, I have a 150mbps seedbox I could also put it on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm having a hard time believing 1pm EST. (who is saying that, anyway?) Given that their site has them at like 85% progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's like 30 mins from now, yeah?

• Locked thread