Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

teh z0rg posted:

this is retarded

youre retarded
you're autistic if you thought that i was being serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wonder if there were any kids that overly joyed at the opulence that was jar jar binks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Siljmonster posted:

i wonder if there were any kids that overly joyed at the opulence that was jar jar binks

what about sexually confused pre-teens enamored by his long tongue and jamaican accent

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Siljmonster posted:

i know that little kid me thought that frogs were the raddest and was all psyched for the badass frog jedi (who was definitely going to have a green lightsaber).

welp.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
who have my jar jar binks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

some yosposters need big fat hairy sarcasm tags i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think lucas meant to have the republic appear corrupt. I think he literally thought that his republic was all noble and smart and that it was only padme and jimmy smits who were smart enough to figure out something was wrong, despite padme being a total retard throughout all of the prequels. it was all sloppy and lovely and the reader jumps to the obvious conclusion (the republic is super duper corrupt just as any democracy that size would be) even though it was never intended by lucas. Plus all the good bits of the EU make this the case because it makes for more varied storytelling.

in the original trilogy the political situation is presented as black and white because it really doesn't matter. the story is about the adventures of a kid, a wizard, a rogue, and a princess. its fantasy and its pretty good for the most part. the only backstory you get is "luke's dad was a friend of obiwan and he got killed by evil or something, y don't u help me defeat the evil? also he was a fighter pilot in a war or whatever" and its fine. you don't need anything more than that. its not a problem until you try to start backfilling the rest of it. what war? why was he a fighter pilot? is it common that jedi be fighter pilots? how did this evil get started? who were the sides in the war?

later on in the trilogy when yodas training luke he talks w/ ghost obiwan about how it was dangerous to train him at that age cause he was full of emotion and that same thing led to Anakin becoming vader. So the straightforward thing to do would be to have obiwan meet Anakin as an adult. maybe hes a pilot in some armed force or maybe hes a blockade runner if you want to stick to the retaded trade federation thing. either way his skill as a pilot has been established because hes been doing it for a while and as a force sensitive he learns faster, has better reflexes, etc... like maybe he helps obiwan out of a jam in some backwater and the movie opens with a heroic escape from the clutches of some hutt or something. obiwan realizes Anakin uses the force and the story moves on from there.

instead they had to use a kid which is always a mistake, but its made worse by the fact that they have to do all the same stuff with the kid re: pilot skills. so you've got this dumbass kid who spends most of his time listening to the dumb exposition from the adults and then he does a pod race and then later a space battle. its dumb as hell and makes no sense. you end up with these two totally disconnected plots of Anakin is child darth vader and this thing with the trade federation and the jedi, when they're supposed to be the same story. it also means you don't have a central protagonist or atleast a duo to cheer for. a roguish Anakin and a more straight laced obiwan would create a traditional pairing that would work very well in the context of a space adventure. they become good friends and defeat the bad guys in the first one. then in the second one Anakin maybe uncovers some corruption in the jedi+republic and it creates tension between Anakin and obiwan. they both want to do whats right and fight whatever the corruption is, but maybe obiwan believes it can be fixed while Anakin thinks the council/republic is too far gone to be saved. Then this leads into the 3rd one where maybe Anakin learns of the sith and tries to start bringing some of their teachings into the jedi order. the sith emperor reveals himself to Anakin during his weakest point and convinces him that he is right to want to destroy the jedi+republic. like maybe Anakin starts corrupting young jedi knights. anyhow it eventually leads to the downfall of the republic and the obliteration of the jedi order. at the end it would probably still be obiwan and the remaining republic supporters fleeing the core worlds, but Anakin wouldn't yet be in the suit and hed be starting his work to hunt down the remaining jedi in the galaxy. its that 30 or so years inbetween where he abandons his humanity and gets put into the suit.

idk. I think the star warts universe can be a pretty good one and I disagree that the prequels couldn't have been anything more than a cash grab.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol I just got paid to post that.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i should have gotten paid to read it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Can-O-Raid posted:

i should have gotten paid to read it

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shaggar posted:

lol I just got paid to post that.

when you meet your quota, do you get to go home, or perhaps you are a prisoner? would your employer pay for you to brush up on your writing? might they be merciful enough to lubricate your written word?

i don't care. really. i should want to.

you write with a tension that can use more paragraph breaks. you convey a melancholy cry for freedom through a deluge of subtext that is jar-jar-jarring on the eyes.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I don't think lucas meant to have the republic appear corrupt. I think he literally thought that his republic was all noble and smart and that it was only padme and jimmy smits who were smart enough to figure out something was wrong, despite padme being a total retard throughout all of the prequels. it was all sloppy and lovely and the reader jumps to the obvious conclusion (the republic is super duper corrupt just as any democracy that size would be) even though it was never intended by lucas. Plus all the good bits of the EU make this the case because it makes for more varied storytelling.

in the original trilogy the political situation is presented as black and white because it really doesn't matter. the story is about the adventures of a kid, a wizard, a rogue, and a princess. its fantasy and its pretty good for the most part. the only backstory you get is "luke's dad was a friend of obiwan and he got killed by evil or something, y don't u help me defeat the evil? also he was a fighter pilot in a war or whatever" and its fine. you don't need anything more than that. its not a problem until you try to start backfilling the rest of it. what war? why was he a fighter pilot? is it common that jedi be fighter pilots? how did this evil get started? who were the sides in the war?

later on in the trilogy when yodas training luke he talks w/ ghost obiwan about how it was dangerous to train him at that age cause he was full of emotion and that same thing led to Anakin becoming vader. So the straightforward thing to do would be to have obiwan meet Anakin as an adult. maybe hes a pilot in some armed force or maybe hes a blockade runner if you want to stick to the retaded trade federation thing. either way his skill as a pilot has been established because hes been doing it for a while and as a force sensitive he learns faster, has better reflexes, etc... like maybe he helps obiwan out of a jam in some backwater and the movie opens with a heroic escape from the clutches of some hutt or something. obiwan realizes Anakin uses the force and the story moves on from there.

instead they had to use a kid which is always a mistake, but its made worse by the fact that they have to do all the same stuff with the kid re: pilot skills. so you've got this dumbass kid who spends most of his time listening to the dumb exposition from the adults and then he does a pod race and then later a space battle. its dumb as hell and makes no sense. you end up with these two totally disconnected plots of Anakin is child darth vader and this thing with the trade federation and the jedi, when they're supposed to be the same story. it also means you don't have a central protagonist or atleast a duo to cheer for. a roguish Anakin and a more straight laced obiwan would create a traditional pairing that would work very well in the context of a space adventure. they become good friends and defeat the bad guys in the first one. then in the second one Anakin maybe uncovers some corruption in the jedi+republic and it creates tension between Anakin and obiwan. they both want to do whats right and fight whatever the corruption is, but maybe obiwan believes it can be fixed while Anakin thinks the council/republic is too far gone to be saved. Then this leads into the 3rd one where maybe Anakin learns of the sith and tries to start bringing some of their teachings into the jedi order. the sith emperor reveals himself to Anakin during his weakest point and convinces him that he is right to want to destroy the jedi+republic. like maybe Anakin starts corrupting young jedi knights. anyhow it eventually leads to the downfall of the republic and the obliteration of the jedi order. at the end it would probably still be obiwan and the remaining republic supporters fleeing the core worlds, but Anakin wouldn't yet be in the suit and hed be starting his work to hunt down the remaining jedi in the galaxy. its that 30 or so years inbetween where he abandons his humanity and gets put into the suit.

idk. I think the star warts universe can be a pretty good one and I disagree that the prequels couldn't have been anything more than a cash grab.

oh shaggar...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
shaggar: always write

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
post post post post

sports
Sep 1, 2012
shaggar you should replace thurrott

it would be good for thurrott

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

sports posted:

shaggar you should replace thurrott

it would be good for thurrott

yes but just post completely unrelated stuff to winsupersite like the above wordspost. nothing about ms or computers at all (not that shaggar's not right about this, it'd just be funnier)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MancXVI posted:

space ron paul

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
anakin would have been good if he wasnt a god drat retard

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

have you been reading your posts

especially that one with all of the capital letters

you don't get to call anyone else autistic

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Guido van Possum posted:

lucas would have been good if he wasnt a god drat retard

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
autism will ruin us all

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Deacon of Delicious posted:

have you been reading your posts

especially that one with all of the capital letters

you don't get to call anyone else autistic
i'm not a troper, i actually had to research that loving thing.

never again. no joke is worth a visit to tvtropes.

also gg on ignoring the great wall of sperg that shaggar posted.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2013

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Metal Pink Babble posted:

when you meet your quota, do you get to go home, or perhaps you are a prisoner? would your employer pay for you to brush up on your writing? might they be merciful enough to lubricate your written word?

i don't care. really. i should want to.

you write with a tension that can use more paragraph breaks. you convey a melancholy cry for freedom through a deluge of subtext that is jar-jar-jarring on the eyes.

horry poo poo

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Guido van Possum posted:

anakin would have been good if he wasnt a god drat retard

he lost all sympathy when he went Platoon on those tuscon raiders

like holy poo poo lucas

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Can-O-Raid posted:

he lost all sympathy when he went Platoon on those tuscon raiders
tucson raiders

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
heh

it's "tuscan" actually

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

Stymie posted:

heh

it's "tuscan" actually

"oakland"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stymie posted:

heh

it's "tuscan" actually
it's sand people.

seriously "tusken raiders" is one of the dumbest names imaginable. it's like calling them "sui'desh bandits" or "rush-enn hunters". gog danm it lucas.

mankoonians

glasuejanns

fucker

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 1, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
jesus chris i just remembered that there's a planet called mon calamari and it's populated by squid people. squid people who are in the movies.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 2, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

*plugs ears* noooo stop pointing out flaws in my life-affirming alterverse

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

jesus chris i just remembered that there's a planet called mon calimari and it's populated by squid people. squid people who are in the movies.

:zoid:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

it's sand people.

seriously "tusken raiders" is one of the dumbest names imaginable. it's like calling them "sui'desh bandits" or "rush-enn hunters". gog danm it lucas.

mankoonians

glasuejanns

fucker

aboriginal tatoonians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejorQVy3m8E

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a greedy bounter hunter named "greedo"

a sexy dancing girl named "oola"

ugly, pig-faced guards called "ugh-naughts"

the star wars universe was full of stupid poo poo long before episode i came along

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FMguru posted:

a greedy bounter hunter named "greedo"

a sexy dancing girl named "oola"

ugly, pig-faced guards called "ugh-naughts"

the star wars universe was full of stupid poo poo long before episode i came along
salacious crumb, the laughing hedonistic beaked monkey surrounded by a harem. also he constantly ogles bikini leia.

leia organa, the princess who stands against the technological might of the evil empire.

wicket w. warrick, the illiterate forest warrior with a middle initial.

sy snootles, the singer with her mouth at the end of a long snout.

mon calamari again because it's beyond unforgivable.

i have to admit though that it was a nice touch to name the cocky loner at the bar "solo" and then give him a sidekick.

i just realized that almost all of these are from return of the jedi. what a surprise.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 2, 2013

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

and the yosposest, jek porkins

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
jek tono porkins?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

salacious crumb, the laughing hedonistic beaked monkey surrounded by a harem. also he constantly ogles bikini leia.
yeah not seeing a problem here

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah not seeing a problem here
did jabba name him? that would excuse it.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

max rebo, the synth player elephant-thing

real name siiruulian phantele

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Han Solo, he's flies with another dude. Lucas is stupid.

• Locked thread