Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet, that's good news. As long as it checks out as described I think I'm going to grab it tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3574273543.html

I'm thinking of looking at that wagon. I haven't talked to the guy about it yet but I figured I see if you guys think it's worth getting a PD car. I saw that there can be issues with the cam but I'm not sure if that issue is blown out of proportion or not. It also looks like mods cost a little more.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I'm actually considering selling my '00 F250 7.3L with 134k miles because, well even as a homeowner, it probably is overkill. Change my mind! (Considering an 04'ish Forester XT as replacement)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Opensourcepirate posted:

I don't think there's any years to avoid. The VE Engines (96-2003) are very reliable, and the PD engines (2004-2006) are similar except for some issues with camshafts wearing out / breaking. This means that the kind of oil used is more important for the newer engines, as using the wrong oil can accelerate cam wear.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm

The 2006 Jetta sounds like a better deal with the limited information provided.

Any PD cam that was going to break by now should already have broken. The only mechanical things you have to worry about are:

- clogged intakes from the EGR (causes power loss)
- gummed up vanes in the turbo (causes boost spikes)
- coolant migration
- automatic transmission is a 100k wear item

You really only have to worry about the first two if it's obvious the car's been babied its whole life, and the first problem is annoying, not fatal.

Coolant migration is a bitch and can happen to any A4 car. Make sure the coolant is not above the max line in the coolant bottle. Then unplug the sensor to the coolant bottle and check for any moisture inside the plug or inside the receptacle. If you see either of these things run, don't walk.

Tyro posted:

tl;dr 2001 2-door, manual Golf TDI with 138K miles supposedly owned by a VW tech.

He is asking $4900 and as fast as used TDIs sell around here I don't think I will get anywhere by trying to negotiate.

It's on the high side for the age but if it's in as solid of shape as he describes I think it might be worth it.

EGR delete in software is good. Physically removing the EGR system is better, check to make sure it's gone.

Also you want to chip it anyway, there's literally no downside, and you're saving $600 by having it done by someone else.

Absolutely buy that car.

Source: I used to own a heavily modified 2001 Jetta TDI

primitive fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 30, 2013

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
I know as a general rule Americans prefer oil changes but changes every 5k? Isn't that half the interval? That poo poo gets black inside 2 minutes in a PD anyway :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Atomic Mitten posted:

I know as a general rule Americans prefer oil changes but changes every 5k? Isn't that half the interval? That poo poo gets black inside 2 minutes in a PD anyway :)

No no, the oil companies prefer oil changes ever 3-5k :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Atomic Mitten posted:

Depends, if you run dino oil (non-synthetic) every 6k, synthetic you can push a little further. But it'll turn black no matter what, its a diesel.

primitive posted:

Any PD cam that was going to break by now should already have broken. The only mechanical things you have to worry about are:

Not entirely true to be fair, I've seen a couple 2004 PDs that just recently broke their cam, it varies depending on how you push it and what oil you use.

crutt posted:

I'm actually considering selling my '00 F250 7.3L with 134k miles because, well even as a homeowner, it probably is overkill. Change my mind! (Considering an 04'ish Forester XT as replacement)

To be blunt, you are getting nearly the same average MPG as the Forrester (21 EPA MPG) vs the F250 (18-20 MPG)

You can carry more, and the diesel will last longer, on the other side of the coin maintenance for the F250 will be more expensive.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well the 2001 sold just before I came out to see it. Guy said he had so many people calling about the car he had to turn his phone off. Sigh.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've got a quick question on a 2011 Golf TDI - after driving around in a pretty decent amount of snow, the "check catalytic convertor" dash light came on. I stopped in an autozone to get the code pulled and its reporting an issue with the heated oxygen sensor, bank 1 sensor 2. I'm currently traveling and am wondering if this needs to get replaced asap or if its something I can wait to get done when I'm back home?

For what its worth, performance and milage wise, the car is running as normal. Can this wait a few hundred miles of highway driving or should I be looking for someone to replace it now? I've been having trouble finding where the sensor actually is as well, perhaps it just needs to be cleaned off or some such. Any info is appreciated!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

qutius posted:

I've got a quick question on a 2011 Golf TDI - after driving around in a pretty decent amount of snow, the "check catalytic convertor" dash light came on. I stopped in an autozone to get the code pulled and its reporting an issue with the heated oxygen sensor, bank 1 sensor 2. I'm currently traveling and am wondering if this needs to get replaced asap or if its something I can wait to get done when I'm back home?

For what its worth, performance and milage wise, the car is running as normal. Can this wait a few hundred miles of highway driving or should I be looking for someone to replace it now? I've been having trouble finding where the sensor actually is as well, perhaps it just needs to be cleaned off or some such. Any info is appreciated!

I wouldn't worry about it for now, it may even only be because it got wet/cold and may go away on its own.

Just get it checked when more convenient.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Sounds good to me! Thanks yo

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I never heard back about that wagon. I'm assuming it sold and they're just one of those assholes that doesn't delete their ads.

Anyways, I'm going to look at this 2003 Golf tomorrow. It's got all the mods I wanted done to it and it's lower miles. He said the coilovers on it are racelands that are way too stiff. So, I'll probably be swapping on the stock struts and springs.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3585786740.html

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've started running Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 in my 98 Jetta TDI and it actually takes a few thousand miles to blacken much. I check the level like every other time I fill up the tank and for a while I was having a hard time seeing where the line was.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

I've started running Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 in my 98 Jetta TDI and it actually takes a few thousand miles to blacken much. I check the level like every other time I fill up the tank and for a while I was having a hard time seeing where the line was.

Eh, I need to switch to oversize piston rings to fix my excessive blow-by, then maybe my oil won't turn black as night.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
03 TDI Golf.

I was driving to work this morning with my car semi-defrosted and i hit the passenger window down button. The window was frozen and nothing happened. I hit the switch again and heard the motor and cable assembly move, but not the window. I figured i blew the cable and the window was now frozen and jammed.

Imagine my surprise when i went to lunch and found my passenger window down. Assuming the worst i pulled the car into my bay and took the panel down. I havent worked on VW windows in a long time, so it wasnt untill i got the regulator out that i realised what happened: The regulator had released the window from its clamps, but nothing was damaged. I shoved the window back into the regulator and its all good now, untill the next time i guess.

This ever happen to anyone else?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raw_Beef posted:

03 TDI Golf.

I was driving to work this morning with my car semi-defrosted and i hit the passenger window down button. The window was frozen and nothing happened. I hit the switch again and heard the motor and cable assembly move, but not the window. I figured i blew the cable and the window was now frozen and jammed.

Imagine my surprise when i went to lunch and found my passenger window down. Assuming the worst i pulled the car into my bay and took the panel down. I havent worked on VW windows in a long time, so it wasnt untill i got the regulator out that i realised what happened: The regulator had released the window from its clamps, but nothing was damaged. I shoved the window back into the regulator and its all good now, untill the next time i guess.

Only when the clips that hold the regulator to the glass are weak...

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I was in a real hurry to get it done so i didnt even look closely at the clips. Is it an adjustable bracket or a replaceable clip?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Has anyone done the underseat drawer installation in the new Golf/Sportwagen? I'm looking to have some extra cabin space.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, I need to switch to oversize piston rings to fix my excessive blow-by, then maybe my oil won't turn black as night.

Try the T6. I've seen people recommend it for a lot of reasons on TDIClub. I used to use the Mobil 1 5W-40 and I think it blackened up a lot more quickly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

Try the T6. I've seen people recommend it for a lot of reasons on TDIClub. I used to use the Mobil 1 5W-40 and I think it blackened up a lot more quickly.

Eh, my TDI has issues, it needs a good cylinder job and oversized rings.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Raw_Beef posted:

03 TDI Golf.

Yes, I don't know if it was an actual recall or not but VW was replacing the clips with metal ones for free for a while. I had the same thing happen to both my front windows coming back from a ski trip. I was at a toll booth and hit the button and heard the motor activate but the window didn't move. I gave it a nudge and BAM! It went down.

Hm. Actually it looks like it was a 7 year warranty extension.

http://www.vwproblems.com/problems/window-falls-into-door.shtml

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

ThirstyBuck posted:

Yes, I don't know if it was an actual recall or not but VW was replacing the clips with metal ones for free for a while. I had the same thing happen to both my front windows coming back from a ski trip. I was at a toll booth and hit the button and heard the motor activate but the window didn't move. I gave it a nudge and BAM! It went down.

Hm. Actually it looks like it was a 7 year warranty extension.

http://www.vwproblems.com/problems/window-falls-into-door.shtml

Thanks bro, I'll get those parts now without having to tear the door open.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hey guys, if any of you use TDIClub you may know who oilhammer is. He is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and had a big part in figuring out the B5 chain delete. He's also a friend of mine and a super nice and funny guy. He has been going through a rough time recently which is explained in the thread. Because of this there is a raffle with awesome TDI related prizes (tunes, clutches, etc) that I thought some people here might be interested in. Even if you don't know Brian there is still cool stuff to win. The thread is right here

The raffle is in the thread and right here

Lets win some stuff and help Brian!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Raw_Beef posted:

03 TDI Golf.

This happened to a guy at work while he was still in the car. First the passenger front window and then six months later, in the middle of a snow storm, the driver window just... fell down, without him even touching the buttons. Great design there with those plastic clips.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have any thoughts on the audi A3 tdi?

I am really reconsidering selling the 2008 forester I have. 23-25mpg is not so great and I'm not sure I should bother with AWD here in Seattle.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the audi A3 tdi?

I am really reconsidering selling the 2008 forester I have. 23-25mpg is not so great and I'm not sure I should bother with AWD here in Seattle.

It's a lot of money for a Golf with a slightly nicer interior.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What he said. Also, you can't even get awd unless you buy the dsg. Personally I think the Golf looks better than the A3 too.

Woa, holy poo poo. The diesel is -only- automatic. What the gently caress Audi.

E2: hahaha, not only is the TDI automatic only, its also 2wd only, hahahahaha. There is only 1 reason to buy an Audi instead of a VW and that is AWD. The base model a3 tdi is almost 10k more than a base tdi golf.

e3: For some reason it also costs audi 100 dollars more than vw to deliver the car. A 2dr (why would you want a 4door anyway) golf with tech package (sunroof,nav,xenons) is 27600, while the a3 which does not even have an option for a sunroof and I have no clue if it has nav or xenons is 31600. But you get 4 rings, more expensive maintenance and leather seats. Personally leather seats are a negative so I see no reason to bother with the Audi.

Also, when did Audi stop offering the A4 in a wagon. I want a TDI a4 wagon with AWD and man trans. But this will never happen.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 6, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

veedubfreak posted:

Also, when did Audi stop offering the A4 in a wagon. I want a TDI a4 wagon with AWD and man trans. But this will never happen.

Oh yes it will.

In Europe :smug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

It's a lot of money for a Golf with a slightly nicer interior.

Sorry should have been clearer, I was looking at 2010 models which don't seem too much more than the jetta wagons of the same year.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm pretty sure that all Audis have their bodies galvanized. Given the reliability of the old VE engines, rust has been the death of a lot of the TDI's sold in the North America.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Opensourcepirate posted:

I'm pretty sure that all Audis have their bodies galvanized. Given the reliability of the old VE engines, rust has been the death of a lot of the TDI's sold in the North America.

All cars have been fully galvanized for over a decade now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ok, so I gotta do piston rings, the question comes up:

The current OEM standard rings are leaking compression, I'm thinking stepping up to a .25mm oversize ring set, but would I need to replace the pistons as well?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My friend is seriously considering buying a 2.5 TDi A4, and I've agreed to help him do the cambelt when he does. Should I just shoot myself?

CommieGIR posted:

Ok, so I gotta do piston rings, the question comes up:

The current OEM standard rings are leaking compression, I'm thinking stepping up to a .25mm oversize ring set, but would I need to replace the pistons as well?

Isn't an oversize ring set just slightly longer around the circumference, to go with the larger pistons? I'd have thought putting them on a standard piston would simply result in little or no gap, and they'd end up too loose on the piston even if they filled the bore better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Isn't an oversize ring set just slightly longer around the circumference, to go with the larger pistons? I'd have thought putting them on a standard piston would simply result in little or no gap, and they'd end up too loose on the piston even if they filled the bore better.

Yes, this is correct.

Back in the day they used to sell "10 over" type rings, which were designed to go on stock pistons. If you didn't flare the skirts you'd have wicked bad piston slap through.

It's was never really a great idea so I wouldn't be surprised if you can't find them anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

My friend is seriously considering buying a 2.5 TDi A4, and I've agreed to help him do the cambelt when he does. Should I just shoot myself?

One of my colleagues used to drive a 2.5 TDI A6. He sold it because of the service bills. Replacement of the cambelts was over $2500, as far as I can remember. There may have been other things included in that as well, but you gotta figure that if it costs that much at a garage, it'll be seven shades of hell trying to do it yourself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Replacement of the cambelts
As I understood it, they used one, long, belt.

KozmoNaut posted:

over $2500, as far as I can remember. There may have been other things included in that as well, but you gotta figure that if it costs that much at a garage, it'll be seven shades of hell trying to do it yourself.
Step 1: Remove entire front of car.

No, I'm not joking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9E4Vua32k

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Step 1: Remove entire front of car.

No, I'm not joking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9E4Vua32k

VW seem to have some sort of fetish for this, I know there's a Passat I've seen where the 'service position' is the entire front clip slid forwards a few inches on a couple of rods, and even my Polo had something in the Haynes manual that was easier with the front end gone.

I appreciate it makes it much, much easier to get at stuff but it still seems like a ballache.

*E* Exhaust manifold! That was it, happily I never had to touch it.

VVV That makes so much sense. :aaa:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

VW seem to have some sort of fetish for this, I know there's a Passat I've seen where the 'service position' is the entire front clip slid forwards a few inches on a couple of rods, and even my Polo had something in the Haynes manual that was easier with the front end gone.

I appreciate it makes it much, much easier to get at stuff but it still seems like a ballache,

They have to pay the price for having cars which for decades only took a few minutes for most people to pull the engines.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

One main timing belt, and a smaller one to drive the injector pump. The main one is the real bastard, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

I appreciate it makes it much, much easier to get at stuff but it still seems like a ballache.

*E* Exhaust manifold! That was it, happily I never had to touch it.

VVV That makes so much sense. :aaa:

Everybody has their stupid maintenance items. Toyota/nissan v8s put the starter under the intake manifold. the FRS/BRZ requires you to drop the engine to replace the spark plugs. A ton of work on the 03-10 ford f-350s is a cab off job.

• Locked thread