Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

On Chopped Champions tonight- did the person who was eliminated after the entree round just walk out of there without saying anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching with a delay from my DVR so I can tell you that...yes, he just turned and left. They still had the voiceover thing but he didn't actually say anything when he was chopped or when he walked out.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

:laugh: Well, why not.

I love jackfruit so it is cool to see it as a dessert ingredient.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
"I don't know why I didn't pick you." *Denied*

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
there wasn't anyone on Bourdain's team I did not hate. Some of the most annoying people there. Not sure if he's just looking to go for divorce #2 or what.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Honestly I think one of the biggest problems with The Taste is that it doesn't have any sense that Bourdain is involved with it at all. All the cheesy royalty-free music while a contestant tells a heartwarming story about growing up in a single-parent household smacks of exactly the sort of thing he would openly deride in one of his books or other shows.

Did I miss a reaction shot from the douchey steak and eggs guy at the end? His food looked decent but his quotes and demeanor made me want to see him fail hard, in a major way.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

On Chopped Champions tonight- did the person who was eliminated after the entree round just walk out of there without saying anything?

I'm pretty sure Howlin Wolf sulked off without saying anything during the first round as well.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

And by "watching" I mean "we'll have the TV turned to that channel while we both sit on our laptops and ignore it"

Dear Ozma,

Please stop having the exact same relationship as me.

Thanks,

Mike

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This Pioneer Woman show makes me feel really uncomfortable for some reason...

It's some football game episode. It's just so awkward.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never really get what the point of the whole "being horrible at the decorators" part of Restaurant Impossible. Like are we supposed to like the fact that Robert makes their already pointlessly hard job pointlessly harder and screams like a child when things aren't 100% done at the halfway point? "Oh ho, Robert just knocked down a wall again to the dismay of everyone around him then later yelled at them because they'd fallen behind! What a card!"

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

axleblaze posted:

I never really get what the point of the whole "being horrible at the decorators" part of Restaurant Impossible. Like are we supposed to like the fact that Robert makes their already pointlessly hard job pointlessly harder and screams like a child when things aren't 100% done at the halfway point? "Oh ho, Robert just knocked down a wall again to the dismay of everyone around him then later yelled at them because they'd fallen behind! What a card!"

Robert is NEVER happy with the interior designers. They always come up with something that will make the place look new but Robert always gets pissy about it not being done. They'll always say that they could do a better job if they didn't have the arbitrary 2 days and $10,000 rule. And yet it'll always come together and Robert will act pleased as if he believed in the vision all along.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

axleblaze posted:

In order to actually get everything done the designers visit a good month before to actually design and prepare, since they're on such tight deadlines when they are there to film. But they have to demonstrate that Robert knows best about everything restaurant related in a dramatic fashion, so they have him 'decide' to dislike something and put a hole in it.

Force McCocken
Dec 9, 2004
Rational political thought and discourse is dead. Personally, I blame you.

ThermoPhysical posted:

This Pioneer Woman show makes me feel really uncomfortable for some reason...

It's some football game episode. It's just so awkward.

True, but she's the only one that stuffed her turkey on the Thanksgiving show, so that makes her the only one of all those "chefs" that knows how to make good stuffing. Enjoy your styrofoam stuffing, Flay.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Probably just to create tension and drama reinforced by the ridiculous time constraints they setup for each makeover. Its like: hey guys we been losing tons of money for a year but we can only turn this ship around in 22 hours!!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

No More Heroes posted:

Probably just to create tension and drama reinforced by the ridiculous time constraints they setup for each makeover. Its like: hey guys we been losing tons of money for a year but we can only turn this ship around in 22 hours!!

It's better than the alternative on Kitchen Nightmares where Gordon Ramsey solves all the restaurant's problems by giving them a new $25,000 Point of Sale system and a new executive chef from one of his restaurants.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Force McCocken posted:

True, but she's the only one that stuffed her turkey on the Thanksgiving show, so that makes her the only one of all those "chefs" that knows how to make good stuffing. Enjoy your styrofoam stuffing, Flay.

Enjoy your salmonella, Pioneer Woman.

Force McCocken
Dec 9, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Enjoy your salmonella, Pioneer Woman.

You see, after you stuff the turkey, you cook it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Force McCocken posted:

You see, after you stuff the turkey, you cook it.

You have 2 options in this case. You can either have horrid dry turkey and great stuffing, or great turkey and salmonella.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I don't know what the current stats are, but the Canadian analog (Restaurant Makeover, recently rebranded as Restaurant TAKEover) saw something like 60% of the restaurants fail after the show got done with it. I think it might be better now, but their original philosophy was "take a sports bar, put in hardwood flooring and paint, cut the menu down to five items, and leave".

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Am I wrong in thinking that pretty much all the Kitchen Nightmares restaurants still close a few months later?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

There's also the 25% suicide rate after Ramsay visits.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

criscodisco posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that pretty much all the Kitchen Nightmares restaurants still close a few months later?

The situation on these shows is often so dire that they're going to close no matter what. They'd need years of huge profits to get out of the hole. The short term publicity from being on the show doesn't help that much, they're probably still having trouble implementing the new menu items, curious people go once and never come back, the old consistent customers disappear because they hate change, and people are probably massively turned off by how disgusting the kitchens and everything else were. I mean I would never go to one of these places because how much do I trust the idiot who allowed it to be coated in filth in the first place to keep cleaning?

For most of these places appearing on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives would be far better for them, for all Guy Fieri's faults that show apparently drives people to businesses like nothing else. Of course that would need them to be doing something right like halfway decent food and people who want to actually nominate them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Sometimes they give updates like what happened after the taping and the airing of the show. There was an episode of Bar Rescue where there was a terrible pirate-themed bar/restaurant with lovely service, a crap menu, zero customers, an incompetent kitchen staff (it was the owners husband running the kitchen).

So Taffer revamps the whole thing and gets rid of the pirate crap #1 and sets them up for success but the owner was such an idiot and clung so fiercely to the pirate gimmick that they changed it all back after he left.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No More Heroes posted:

Sometimes they give updates like what happened after the taping and the airing of the show. There was an episode of Bar Rescue where there was a terrible pirate-themed bar/restaurant with lovely service, a crap menu, zero customers, an incompetent kitchen staff (it was the owners husband running the kitchen).

So Taffer revamps the whole thing and gets rid of the pirate crap #1 and sets them up for success but the owner was such an idiot and clung so fiercely to the pirate gimmick that they changed it all back after he left.

Didn't this end with a bunch of pirate goons coming to defend the bar's honor?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yep. It was loving hilarious.

Force McCocken
Dec 9, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

You have 2 options in this case. You can either have horrid dry turkey and great stuffing, or great turkey and salmonella.

Then I guess my wife, sister-in-law and mother must all be some kind of wizards.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Force McCocken posted:

Then I guess my wife, sister-in-law and mother must all be some kind of wizards.

I'm not sure why that person is convinced it gives you salmonella. I have never gotten salmonella from cooking stuffing that way and you can make stuffing separately but putting it inside the bird is preferred.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Frot Lesnar posted:

I'm not sure why that person is convinced it gives you salmonella. I have never gotten salmonella from cooking stuffing that way and you can make stuffing separately but putting it inside the bird is preferred.

The idea is that you should cook stuffing to 160 to 165 degrees (depending on source - some say lower) for safety, but in order to get it to that temperature everything else would be overcooked. Harold McGee is generally in favour of cooking it outside the bird, as are some others:

One of Alton Brown's Good Eats Books posted:

When it comes to turkey, Stuffing Is Evil. That's because stuffing goes into the middle of the bird and is extremely porous. That means that as the turkey around it cooks, juices that may contain salmonella bacteria soak into the stuffing, which then must be cooked to a minimum of 165°F in order to be safe. Getting the stuffing to this temperature usually means overcooking the turkey.

The way I see it, cooking stuffing inside a turkey turns the turkey into a rather costly seal-a-meal bag. If you're a stuffing fan, I suggest cooking it separately (in which case it's "dressing," not stuffing) and inserting it into the bird while it rests. Odds are no one will notice the difference.

Some folks advocate heating the stuffing up before putting it in the bird instead, or removing it when the turkey is done and cooking it the rest of the way while its resting. It's probably because of the way my Mom did it when I was a kid (it ended up soggy when cooked in the bird) but I've always cooked it separately anyhow, and just hit it with some turkey drippings when I take the bird out.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 2, 2013

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described

No More Heroes posted:

That bar is in my area and it loving sucked but stupid pirate people loved it I guess?? There was also a huge contingent of BDSM people that used it monthly as a munch location and brought in enough business for the owners to cater to them on those days. It was always so dark and gross in the main area, and the outside was tiny and fenced in with industrial buildings the only view.

Re: Kitchen Nightmares vs. Restaurant Makeover or whatever, I find Gordon Ramsay infinitely more watchable and entertaining than Robert Irvine. I just don't care about the restaurants or the human interest angle (though trainwrecky arguments and stuff are a plus because I am terrible), but Irvine doesn't hit any of my buttons as far as making me want to watch. Gordon Ramsay is such a great personality and I give no shits if he is actually helping in the long run.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I watched Kitchen Nightmares for a bit but after a while I just couldn't take Ramsay. He's just kind of an rear end in a top hat in a way I don't find amusing. When he acts nice is usually comes of faker then when Irvine acts nice (not to say Irvine is very good at it either). The thign with Kitchen Nightmares is Ramsay within the first hour of being there will find a single person who's the cause of all the problems there and spend the rest of the time degrading them and then acting really pissy if the person doesn't appreciate it. Sometimes the problem seems to go way deeper than that person but it doens't matter, it's better television if there's a villain.

Also if there's a 20 year old girl in the kitchen, no matter how minor her role, she is the heart of the place and Ramsay will spend all of his time focusing on her. It's not weird at all.

Both Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant Impossible are both pretty bad shows but I feel with RI the amazing fakeness masks alot of its lead's douchiness while KN just kind of revels in it.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Mystery Diner's doesn't even try to appear real does it?

I don't understand why I am watching this hosed up show. Food Network loves me.

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described

axleblaze posted:

Also if there's a 20 year old girl in the kitchen, no matter how minor her role, she is the heart of the place and Ramsay will spend all of his time focusing on her. It's not weird at all.

To be fair, he's done this with 20-something twinky guys as well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

axleblaze posted:

I watched Kitchen Nightmares for a bit but after a while I just couldn't take Ramsay. He's just kind of an rear end in a top hat in a way I don't find amusing.

You should try an episode or two of the UK version of the show. It's amazing how Fox changed the show for the US audience; the level of drama and profanity goes way down.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Mystery Diner's doesn't even try to appear real does it?

I don't understand why I am watching this hosed up show. Food Network loves me.

I watch it because the dude's daughter is loving hot as poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

You should try an episode or two of the UK version of the show. It's amazing how Fox changed the show for the US audience; the level of drama and profanity goes way down.

I've mainly watched the UK one. I agree that the Fox one is way worse.

I think one of my major problems with these shows is that they constantly fix things that don't really matter. Like the main thing that matters at a restaurant is the food, the price of said food and that said food gets out of the kitchen quickly. Really, as long as the place isn't disgusting, the decor hardly matters. It's really werid to watch these makeover shows and then watch DDD and see places thriving by doing everything that Ramsey and Irvine insist are unacceptable. Dingy decor? Doesn't matter because the foods good? Dated food? Doesn't matter because it's so good and the people also complain they can't get this anywhere else. Portions that are too big? Hell, that's why people love that place. Like it drives me nuts when they completely change the place in ways that don't matter. There's a few Kitchen Nightmares where Ramsay changes the name of the restaurant? Really? You think people are staying away because of the name? Also being Ramsay he just picks a name rather than consulting with the owners, because he's a dick. I remember one where he changed a places name from Ruby Tates (which is admittedly an odd name) to Love's (which is a terrible name). It just doesn't matter.

The pilot episode of Bar Rescue was for a place I love to go to (The Chicken Bone). Their only problem was that they were popular among bikers and then they started to encourage families to come which didn't really work and turned off all the bikers. Afterwards they changed their name to "The Bone" (which I made fun until they changed it back), cut their menu in half (which has since mostly been restored) and jacked up all their prices (which have just gone up unfortunately). They made all these stupid changes to fix a couple of problems (I assume they needed to up their prices but man their wings are a kinda expensive now). I guess they also made over the place but it still looks like a dive bar.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Well, to be fair, some of these places aren't just unattractive but they're incredibly dirty to boot.

Having said that, however, I had some amazing burmese food at one of my normal spots last weekend and while I was waiting for my food to come out I looked up and realized just how much dust is coating each of the weird christmas ornaments they have hanging from the ceiling as decor.

Lots of the better-tasting places I go to look dumb on the inside and I don't care and don't even really think about it. But I don't think that's what people want to ~see~ when they're watching a show about fixing a restaurant.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Cool hat, Rachel Ray.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sara Lee poundcake on the grill.

wow

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
You uncultured barbarians. I would never eat at a restaurant with plastic vines wrapped around a fake stone column. Its so low class.

Actually, I wouldn't really pay attention to most of the decor if it wasn't pointed out and constantly ridiculed on the shows. I definitely do not want to know what the kitchen looks like at my favorite Mexican and BBQ place. It can't be good but I love the food. And these tv chefs will eat anything cooked on the side of a street in any other country. Well, except Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I was too drunk from the Super Bowl thread to pay really close attention to what happened on this show. I just remember someone being praised for presentation for making a siracha smiley face on their plate.

• Locked thread