Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Try another card?

There's nothing wrong with the card. It's a problem with the phone. The issues are fairly well documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

My S3 is having SDcard issues. A few days ago I kept getting messages about the card being removed unexpectedly then remounted and back and forth. Now it doesn't recognize it at all. I know the card is okay because I can read it on my MacBook (and I'm currently backing up its contents just to be safe...)

It looks like this is a pretty common issue with the S3... I no longer have TEP on my account, so if I try to take it in to a Sprint store, will they do anything? What's my best option at this point?

Only thing they can do is swap the phone, which is $35 without TEP.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Cross posting this to from the Android Phone thread..

I am running the leaked 4.2.1 update on my Sprint Galaxy Nexus. This may have been a terrible idea but I love punishing myself or something. Anyway, it seems recently that my phone will decide to lock up out of the blue (can't wake up phone, long pressing power does nothing, requires battery pull). It's done this a few times now, most recently this morning when my backup alarm went off and not my phone. Is this just a 4.2.1 thing? I know there are some problems with 4.2.1 on the GSM Galaxy Nexus. Is anyone else here running the leaked update on their Galaxy Nexus?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
They upgraded the tower near my house (Raleigh Durham area) and I swear to god it is like having a completely different phone. I can actually make phone calls now! Still sucks at work though, but hopefully they get to that tower soon.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

brc64 posted:

My S3 is having SDcard issues. A few days ago I kept getting messages about the card being removed unexpectedly then remounted and back and forth. Now it doesn't recognize it at all. I know the card is okay because I can read it on my MacBook (and I'm currently backing up its contents just to be safe...)

It looks like this is a pretty common issue with the S3... I no longer have TEP on my account, so if I try to take it in to a Sprint store, will they do anything? What's my best option at this point?

brc64 posted:

There's nothing wrong with the card. It's a problem with the phone. The issues are fairly well documented.

I can almost assure you it's the card or both. My Note 2 started doing this a few days ago too, randomly mounting/unmounting the card, and it kept scanning it using up tons of battery life. Swapped the card out and now it's fine. Reading up on this it seems like the S3 "cooks" sd cards and causes them to get a bit corrupt/dead, and yeah, my card read fine in a laptop, and sometimes it'd still read okay in the phone, seemed to dislike pictures for some reason over music. Not sure if the Note 2 also kills cards, looked into my particular card and it seems to have a decent failure rate a few months in that's been lowering it's rating since I got it, so hopefully that's it. As for the S3 I'm not sure if there's a fix for it cooking cards or not, I didn't delve too deep into those threads since it's not my phone, just cases of similar symptoms.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is this thread an okay place for phone problems since I use Sprint?

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy 3 and having used the GPS a few different times it sucks and takes a long time (if ever) to lock on to my location. What should I be doing to fix this?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

FYI 4.2.1 is going OTA for the Sprint GNex as of yesterday.

I've been doing the clear/force stop Google Services Framework like 1,000 times and no luck for me though.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy 3 and having used the GPS a few different times it sucks and takes a long time (if ever) to lock on to my location. What should I be doing to fix this?

Is there usually long periods of time without using it? Or pretty big distances? To get a faster lock, use something like this: http://goo.gl/njmFw

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

amenenema posted:

FYI 4.2.1 is going OTA for the Sprint GNex as of yesterday.

I've been doing the clear/force stop Google Services Framework like 1,000 times and no luck for me though.
You don't want it! It's buggy! Avoid it!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

td4guy posted:

You don't want it! It's buggy! Avoid it!

I have a N7 on it, and the only issue I've noticed is the bluetooth skipping.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

ninmeister posted:

Cross posting this to from the Android Phone thread..

I am running the leaked 4.2.1 update on my Sprint Galaxy Nexus. This may have been a terrible idea but I love punishing myself or something. Anyway, it seems recently that my phone will decide to lock up out of the blue (can't wake up phone, long pressing power does nothing, requires battery pull). It's done this a few times now, most recently this morning when my backup alarm went off and not my phone. Is this just a 4.2.1 thing? I know there are some problems with 4.2.1 on the GSM Galaxy Nexus. Is anyone else here running the leaked update on their Galaxy Nexus?

Yeah I'm running that leaked version. I have the alarm problem and I've noticed that sometimes if I'm connected to wifi it wont send mms until I turn wifi off and connect to the lovely 3g. I haven't had random lockups though. But it does run really hot. Like, 114f hot.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

DGK2000 posted:

Yeah I'm running that leaked version. I have the alarm problem and I've noticed that sometimes if I'm connected to wifi it wont send mms until I turn wifi off and connect to the lovely 3g. I haven't had random lockups though. But it does run really hot. Like, 114f hot.

Such a fine update! Apparently, there is no difference between the "leaked" version and the official one. Was hoping the official one had changes. It doesn't. I'm gonna try Franco Kernel with it and hope for the best. If that doesn't help I might end up back on 4.1.1, which is really too bad. I like the changes 4.2.1 brings.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Totally TWISTED posted:

Go to setting, click location services, select use wireless network.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Brightman posted:

I can almost assure you it's the card or both. My Note 2 started doing this a few days ago too, randomly mounting/unmounting the card, and it kept scanning it using up tons of battery life. Swapped the card out and now it's fine. Reading up on this it seems like the S3 "cooks" sd cards and causes them to get a bit corrupt/dead, and yeah, my card read fine in a laptop, and sometimes it'd still read okay in the phone, seemed to dislike pictures for some reason over music. Not sure if the Note 2 also kills cards, looked into my particular card and it seems to have a decent failure rate a few months in that's been lowering it's rating since I got it, so hopefully that's it. As for the S3 I'm not sure if there's a fix for it cooking cards or not, I didn't delve too deep into those threads since it's not my phone, just cases of similar symptoms.

My 32GB Sandisk bought the farm a week ago on my Note 2.

Suck hard, but I've bought a Samsung 64GB to replace it with... forced upgrades are great, right? :v:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TVs Ian posted:

the phantom menu popup (the antenna is directly under the menu button, when in a weak service area the interference can trigger the button) is now a known issue, so there have been a ton of replacements.

So because of this, would buying this phone be a bad idea? Looks like most on ebay and craigslist go for 150-160 used but in good condition. Couldn't I buy this and get it swapped? (Is that a scummy thing to do?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprint-Sams...=item2ec5db3492

EDIT: Basically, I have a NS4G right now, which has been really good for me, but it's starting to show it's age. I have my upgrade available, but this seems like a bad time to use it. If I can get something dual core/1 gb ram with a CM port in this price range (~$150), then I can recoup ~$100 with the NS4G. That means I'd be out ~$50 to hold me over until new phones come out, and LTE shows up around here (supposedly later this year). The SGS2 seems like the best thing for this, but if anyone has a different suggestion, I'd listen.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 2, 2013

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Just saw this on slickdeals, for you Note-2-havers: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/88862/samsung.com-samsung-galaxy-note-ii-universal-smart-docking-station

quote:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EDD-S20JWEGSTA

50% off coupon: rE168020t or RE157750D or rE155509e
(fyi; don't know how long they will allow us to use this coupon.)

This is normally $100, was out of stock for a long time.

"Connect an HD monitor, external storage device, and USB keyboard and mouse to turn your smartphone into a productivity powerhouse. " Basically, turns your phone into a desktop computer. The smart dock has hdmi out, 3x usb ports, audio out and charging. For example, I can use this at work for internet surfing and not have all my activity logged into the company servers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hy3wETf5o0 - a thorough review and its uses.

turn your smartphone into a productivity powerhouse :frog:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

uapyro posted:

Is there usually long periods of time without using it? Or pretty big distances? To get a faster lock, use something like this: http://goo.gl/njmFw
Yes. I tried this and it didn't lock after ~10 minutes. Restarting the phone fixed it :confused:

Giblet posted:

Go to setting, click location services, select use wireless network.
If I was on the interstate without any wifi networks in range (like 100% certain) would this work via voodoo magic? Genuinely curious.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

ninmeister posted:

Such a fine update! Apparently, there is no difference between the "leaked" version and the official one. Was hoping the official one had changes. It doesn't. I'm gonna try Franco Kernel with it and hope for the best. If that doesn't help I might end up back on 4.1.1, which is really too bad. I like the changes 4.2.1 brings.

Quoting myself on this 4.2.1 update. Holy crap is it bad. I had to pull my battery 4 times today because it would sleep and never wake up. This is not how cell phones should work. Flashed back to 4.1.1. Now I get what all the GSM people have bitched about. Good lord.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
As of today I can get a new phone. Can someone convince me not to get a Note 2?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

The size?

As I understand it, it's basically the S3 with an even larger screen, and I love my S3. I think the Note 2 would be a little too large for me, personally, but some people prefer the extra size (and the stylus).

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Totally TWISTED posted:

If I was on the interstate without any wifi networks in range (like 100% certain) would this work via voodoo magic? Genuinely curious.

The setting doesn't only apply to wifi but mobile networks as well. Obviously the GPS satellites option should be checked also.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Grumpwagon posted:

So because of this, would buying this phone be a bad idea? Looks like most on ebay and craigslist go for 150-160 used but in good condition. Couldn't I buy this and get it swapped? (Is that a scummy thing to do?)
Yeah. Just don't tell the Sprint employee that you just bought it from eBay, or else they'll kindly tell you to gently caress off.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Grumpwagon posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprint-Sams...=item2ec5db3492

EDIT: Basically, I have a NS4G right now, which has been really good for me, but it's starting to show it's age. I have my upgrade available, but this seems like a bad time to use it. If I can get something dual core/1 gb ram with a CM port in this price range (~$150), then I can recoup ~$100 with the NS4G. That means I'd be out ~$50 to hold me over until new phones come out, and LTE shows up around here (supposedly later this year). The SGS2 seems like the best thing for this, but if anyone has a different suggestion, I'd listen.

I grabbed a Galaxy Nexus off ebay for $175. Why not go for something slightly newer than the SGS2?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ninmeister posted:

Quoting myself on this 4.2.1 update. Holy crap is it bad. I had to pull my battery 4 times today because it would sleep and never wake up. This is not how cell phones should work. Flashed back to 4.1.1. Now I get what all the GSM people have bitched about. Good lord.

I'm really starting to feel like I dodged a bullet here. I don't really use Bluetooth, so I'm not affected by the broken homebrew implementation Google used in 4.2, but I also haven't been bitten by any of the other weird issues like that since I installed the update a couple weeks ago.

I've still got my 4.1.1 backup, though, just in case.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

SalTheBard posted:

I just grabbed a Note II yesterday and holy balls is it awesome. It has been running on the battery for 12 hours now and is only at 77%. I loving love the battery life so far.

Also, it's better than the S3, in that it has a 1600mhz quad core vs the 1200mhz dual core in the S3.

Better battery life, way faster processor, a stylus which is pretty rad in how it works, and a huge screen (if that's your thing.)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bobula posted:

I grabbed a Galaxy Nexus off ebay for $175. Why not go for something slightly newer than the SGS2?

I guess I've just heard enough horror stories about the CDMA Gnex's battery life, how messed up 4.2.1 is, and that it doesn't have a great CM port.

I take it you've been happy with it?

jakeledel
Jul 17, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Wait for the HTC m7? That's what I'm hoping to grab with my upgrade in April.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Mistikman posted:

I just grabbed a Note II yesterday and holy balls is it awesome. It has been running on the battery for 12 hours now and is only at 77%. I loving love the battery life so far.

Also, it's better than the S3, in that it has a 1600mhz quad core vs the 1200mhz dual core in the S3.

Better battery life, way faster processor, a stylus which is pretty rad in how it works, and a huge screen (if that's your thing.)

I also picked one up yesterday after forcing best buy to match amazon on not only the phone but a defender as well (saves me 130 chickens)

I Have gotten the Did you buy a phone that big because your getting old and can't see anymore type comments it's been rock solid for the first 24h.I'm getting used to it not being the HTC UI. Somethings I don't care for, It is what it is.

Also everyone that has said omg that's so huge the first thing I do is say put it in your pocket.. It hasn't not fit yet (with a defender on it.)

One huge plus is the lack of delay on the camera.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Duckman2008 posted:

Only thing they can do is swap the phone, which is $35 without TEP.

It's $50 without TEP now. Get TEP, y'all.

Also, to the dude looking at an S2. Don't do it!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Grumpwagon posted:

I guess I've just heard enough horror stories about the CDMA Gnex's battery life, how messed up 4.2.1 is, and that it doesn't have a great CM port.

I've been pretty happy with mine. The CM port for the Epic 4G Touch still has some work to do and the battery issues from that port really forced me to switch to another phone.

Gnex + AOKP has been nearly flawless for me.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Biodome posted:

It's $50 without TEP now. Get TEP, y'all.

Unless you're replacing your phone more than once every 6 months I still don't see how TEP makes sense.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Grumpwagon posted:

I really enjoy mine with 4.1.1. The battery life is alright, but I got the extended battery so that helps a little. The CM ports for it arn't bad if your into that thing. I always found CM to start out running great and over time got laggy.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

td4guy posted:

Yeah. Just don't tell the Sprint employee that you just bought it from eBay, or else they'll kindly tell you to gently caress off.

Not sure where you get that idea from. We get paid so little on upgrades I actually try to get people to purchase their phone elsewhere if they aren't getting any accessories.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Q_res posted:

Unless you're replacing your phone more than once every 6 months I still don't see how TEP makes sense.

Pretty much this. Especially since they jacked up the monthly fee. $50 to replace the phone without TEP is still a better value than paying for it every month...

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

halokiller posted:

I've been pretty happy with mine. The CM port for the Epic 4G Touch still has some work to do and the battery issues from that port really forced me to switch to another phone.

Gnex + AOKP has been nearly flawless for me.

Yeah I rooted and flashed to Paranoid Android and run LeanKernel. My battery life is amazing now. Usually 36 hours with heavy usage. Though I did get the free extended battery while they still offered it.

Edit- Wrong quote. Pretend I quoted the post about the CDMA GNex battery life.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Is the current consensus to NOT download the Galaxy Nexus update? I'm scared that my wife is going to go through Evo Shift hell all over again... :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

Is the current consensus to NOT download the Galaxy Nexus update? I'm scared that my wife is going to go through Evo Shift hell all over again... :(

I told my boyfriend not to do it and a couple other people. I'd say 4.2 is kinda broken. :v:

Even on my Nexus 4 it's been weird.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I thought Sprint would have waited for 4.2.2 or something that addresses the issues.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

Yeah, don't do it unless you're rooted and grabbing a custom ROM. Otherwise it'll break poo poo. You're not really missing out on anything aside from say, the new camera mode for making tiny world panoramas(Which isn't very cool once the novelty wears off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Is the Galaxy Nexus still a good phone? I have a Nexus S and I'm starting to hate how slow the phone is (especially in Google now) and how bad multitasking is. Is multitasking any better? Many times if I'm using the an app and get a text/call and them go back to the app it will have to reload. This wouldn't be such a big deal if Sprint service didn't suck and take 5 minutes to reload.