Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I spent my the month of leave after prototype, all of welding school, and the month of leave after welding school (lol) giving it my best effort to flood all the knowledge out of my brain with alcohol. Still in there though:(

Now that I've been out almost a year it is slowly starting to fade away though. I'm sure if I ever smelled it again I'd recognize it instantly, but I've almost completely forgotten the smell of amine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
drat another welder buddy??? thats 3 of us 0_o

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KetTarma posted:

what is a charlie track

Did they expand t-track to the rest of the alphabet since there are so many babbys running around?

Power school classes now have a "program" which decides general policies. It goes from Alpha to Delta track, with policies being modified for each one. Alpha is generally the "hardest" track as the requirements for voluntary hours are higher, and mandatory PT is more often. Delta is the "easiest" as everything is lowest. It is supposedly part of a 10 year program to see which policies end up with better people in the fleet. Rumor has it that Alpha and delta are supposed to be going away, but nobody really knows. I've heard you have to have a 3.6+ to have 0-0s on Alpha, and they do PT 5 days a week. I cannot confirm/deny this other than unsubstantiated rumors.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Hobolicious posted:

Also, Navy will gently caress you over. But that's a given, really.

Meh, I'm no fan of the Navy, given my rather painful career track, but that's not an accurate way of looking at it. The Navy looks out for the Navy. Once you realize that, and make yourself fit into what they want, it is actually rather simple to get a good deal. I was able to pull a San Diego shore duty as an officer (drat near impossible, especially from Hawaii) just by making sure that they Navy saw it as beneficial to them.

It's all just simple logistics; once you figure that out, it becomes easier to manage (sea duty will always suck; just accept it. If you don't want life to suck, lat-tran or develop an allergy to shellfish)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

drat another welder buddy??? thats 3 of us 0_o

Four? :science:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

I included you :shobon:

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
I don't see how it gets easier than Charlie track. Good overall pfa gets you voluntary and a 3.2 GPA earns you the glorious 0-0. You can leave during study halls if you went 7 hours over your tac requirement the previous week or are rocking above a 3.6 GPA.

I seriously lucked out.

E: Ket, was prefill a thing when you were instructing? That seems kind of like what you were wishing for.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 1, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
i lucked out, in that i dont remember what most of that means ^_^

camino
Feb 23, 2006
It was just arbitrary when I went through. Your SLPO used his gut to determine how many hours you got. That sucked in A School because my SLPO was an EM and I was an RO. Basically all the RO's had mandatory hours even if they had higher GPA's than the EO's.

PT was only an issue if you failed the PRT or couldn't get a blue badge. Then you got sent to FEP after school.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
EO... RO... Blue Badge...

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
We had none of those things. When I went through, your SLPO ballparked where you should be for hours. Mine said that if you ever failed a test, 25/4s for the rest of the pipeline. Heh.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
EO = Electrical Operator = EM
RO = Reactor Operator = ET

Back in the day they had different levels of liberty, you had to be on site for a certain amount of time and pass PRTs to progress.
Yellow Badge = No civvies, no leaving base during the week
Green Badge = Civvies off base, weekday liberty until 8pm or something like that.
Blue Badge = Real person. Wear a uniform to work, do your job, go home and do whatever you want.

I'm surprised I remembered all that poo poo.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

We had none of those things. When I went through, your SLPO ballparked where you should be for hours. Mine said that if you ever failed a test, 25/4s for the rest of the pipeline. Heh.

i went before you and they had mandatory hours by GPA, and 0-0s for a certain gpa(all of power school for me~~~~~~)

nothing was arbitrary about it v0v

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Was that a school wide policy? Maybe my SLPO was a rebel.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

Was that a school wide policy? Maybe my SLPO was a rebel.

no idea, i'm sure the staff in charge of your section guys could bone you over as hard as they wanted when i went through too they just didn't do it unless you were a shithead as far as i remember

but i do remember specific gpas gave you specific hours

camino
Feb 23, 2006
What era was that? I went through in 01-02.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

camino posted:

What era was that? I went through in 01-02.

03-04

they still had the same badge system when i went

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
pretty sure it was the same in 11-12.

then again, i'm drunk!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

We went to school together. Small world.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Now they have "phases" for a-school which are as follows: 1(red) no leaving base during the week, no civvies, no alcohol, and no driving. 2(yellow) civvies on weekends off base, leaving base during the week in uniform, driving + alcohol, but weekend curfew of 0015. 3(green) uniform to work and during study hours, no real restriction otherwise. "Phase-up" is at week 4 and 8, and one can be phase stripped for being a shitbag. Past a-school you're generally always phase 3 but don't have the sticker showing it. You can be downgraded to phase 1 for being a shitbag though.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
haha we got put back on uniforms @all times new person phase because this dumb bitch DILDO o-2 got upset with us being rude to her

had to march to the school house for a week too, was worth it because she was a crazy bitch imo

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

genderstomper58 posted:

haha we got put back on uniforms @all times new person phase because this dumb bitch DILDO o-2 got upset with us being rude to her

had to march to the school house for a week too, was worth it because she was a crazy bitch imo

oh yeah that's the other part of "phase 1" is you have to march to the building every morning. some rear end in a top hat slpos make you march to/from the galley at lunch, and out of the building in the afternoon.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That's pretty much how it was in Orlando.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

That's pretty much how it was in Orlando.

am i crazy or is that your old av and you had a sexy cowboy for a long time

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I had to let him go.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

I had to let him go.

sometimes.....you have to................

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When I went through in 00-01 we had the yellow/green/blue badge thing but it was very slack. I remember after the first two weeks of 10-2's I never had mando hours again through the pipeline. (Well one week of 30-4's due to our chief losing a bet on an IM soccer game but that doesn't count.) A-school PT was twice a week, I usually ended up running it because I was rear end-class leader and I hated PT so it was usually stretching a lot then playing soccer. We had civvy clothes privileges, stay out in town etc almost immediately, I think after week 8 or 10 you had full privileges although I do remember the mechanics got boned somehow because of their short A-school they just delayed some privileges 'till graduation. I think we were going to march to class once as a joke but it rained. In power school, I don't remember if we even had mando PT and pretty much everyone had their own barracks rooms. NNPTC was a pretty good time back then, I actually asked for Ballston Spa because I was getting into too much civilian trouble out in town and wanted a change of pace.

They were getting stricter with incoming classes before I left in jul or so of '01 supposedly because so many of us had hosed it up but whatevs. The stuff I heard of people getting in trouble for (matrix ninjas, taking math books back to the barracks, gangbang rings, endless fraudulent enlistments) really had nothing to do with the privilege systems or not getting enough marching. I get the vibe there were much, much fewer students in the pipe so you didn't spend any appreciable time doing things like rotting on T-track unless you had genuine (clearance etc) problems. I think also it was probably all slacker pre-9/11.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

They were getting stricter with incoming classes before I left in jul or so of '01 supposedly because so many of us had hosed it up but whatevs. The stuff I heard of people getting in trouble for (matrix ninjas, taking math books back to the barracks, gangbang rings, endless fraudulent enlistments) really had nothing to do with the privilege systems or not getting enough marching.

We had some idiot making fake mil ID's in the barracks (the old green ones). He'd copy yours, photoshop the birthday and reprint it on a laser printer. The story was that they sent him up to Leavenworth because it was just after 9/11. Probably bullshit, but 9/11 hysteria makes it believable.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think also it was probably all slacker pre-9/11.

I'm sure it was. I remember they closed down the road that ran through the base (Redbank Rd?) and put a Gitmo style gate at the boundary, and there were additional gates at NNPTC and near housing. I'm sure the EOD's had some "If it bleeds we can kill it" security going on on their side too, but I never went there.

It seemed ridiculous at the time, and even worse in retrospect.

camino fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 2, 2013

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

In Orlando, the nuke waste stood gate guard duty.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Mad Dragon posted:

In Orlando, the nuke waste stood gate guard duty.

To this day I'm still grumpy that I couldn't have done nuke school in Orlando. Granted, if I was that close to all my old friends I would have popped on a piss test fo' sho'.

Then again that means I never would have had to set foot on a sub, so it probably would have been better off v:shobon:v

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Enterprise 1701 was within walking distance. It was nerd heaven.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Oh my god. The Warhammer kids were bad, the fake vampire kids were worse, but that place must have been the worst place on earth. Dripping with Navy raincoats and greasy hair.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Seems to me that given the energy requirements of new weapons like FELs and Railguns that nuclear powered cruisers/destroyers would be ideal. Tell me why this ignorant goon is wrong.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It would be an extraordinarily expensive ship, that's for sure. Nuclear surface ships outside of carriers were scrapped due to being extremely expensive for what they did. I would love to see building new billion+ dollar warships to mount prototype specialized weaponry on that we have little use for in our current wars.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but we used to have the ability to field a fully nuclear powered carrier strike group.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

It would be an extraordinarily expensive ship, that's for sure. Nuclear surface ships outside of carriers were scrapped due to being extremely expensive for what they did. I would love to see building new billion+ dollar warships to mount prototype specialized weaponry on that we have little use for in our current wars.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but we used to have the ability to field a fully nuclear powered carrier strike group.

I thought only cruisers were nuclear? Don't CSGs have FFGs and DDGs?

e: errr apparently not frigates, but they do have destroyers

wait now wiki is telling me my carrier group had a frigate too whatever gently caress you wiki

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 3, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I wasn't saying that we had a CSG composed of 100% nuclear ships but that it'd be possible at one point in time. FFGs arent really useful for anything that a cruiser could do.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

I wasn't saying that we had a CSG composed of 100% nuclear ships but that it'd be possible at one point in time. FFGs arent really useful for anything that a cruiser could do.

You said we had the ability

Which we didn't unless you got rid of an entire destroyer squadron..... 0_o

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ok i exaggerated because i didnt think we were all seriouspost. we could field nuclear carriers, cruisers which are multi-role craft, and submarines. SO NO ONE IS MAD we dont have nuclear powered auxiliary ships either although russia has some icebreakers so maybe we could borrow those

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

ok i exaggerated because i didnt think we were all seriouspost. we could field nuclear carriers, cruisers which are multi-role craft, and submarines. SO NO ONE IS MAD we dont have nuclear powered auxiliary ships either although russia has some icebreakers so maybe we could borrow those

just pointin out you were wrong man i know its hard for a nuke to deal w/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

its k

after all

I'm not a nuke anymore :patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

• Locked thread