Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm in Chicago and I will either take the camera from xzzy and/or host a drunken goonmeet for the three+ of us here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Spedman posted:

Indonesia is our closest neighbour :australia:, I'm willing to kick it along to anywhere in Oceania or SE Asia with a roll or two in it.

If Spedman gets the camera, I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself, seeing as we both live in the same country at least.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Camera will probably arrive tomorrow.

ExecuDork posted:

Is everyone else paying attention? THAT is how it's goddam done, folks - 36 hours complete turnaround time is epic.

EDIT: I don't know if, or expect TheLastManStanding to be that quick. But we should probably figure out who he's sending it to next.
Uhh.. haha. My lab takes a full day to process so no way I'm I getting it back out in 36 hours. I was planning to keep it exactly a week, but Mondays and Tuesdays are a bit hectic, so if it gets here tomorrow I'll have it shipped out Saturday.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Camera will probably arrive tomorrow.

Uhh.. haha. My lab takes a full day to process so no way I'm I getting it back out in 36 hours. I was planning to keep it exactly a week, but Mondays and Tuesdays are a bit hectic, so if it gets here tomorrow I'll have it shipped out Saturday.

I don't think anybody expects you to get it back out in 36 hours like Goon Project Hero Bob Socko, but 7-10 days would be ideal if you can manage that :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

I don't think anybody expects you to get it back out in 36 hours like Goon Project Hero Bob Socko, but 7-10 days would be ideal if you can manage that :)

But just imagine if nobody kept if for any longer than a week. It'd have gone through 26 goony grasps by now then.
ETA till Europe: 2 years?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
As much as I like to make fun of people bogarting the camera, what's the rush? There is no deadline for this project right? The longer it's out there in the wild the more diverse the photos will be. I do think (unless money is a concern) that two shooters in the same area shouldn't get it in a row that way it bounces all over the place.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I don't expect anyone to turn it around in 36 hours. I did it to prove that this camera exchange, with goons, is a viable idea, and to breathe a little more life into the thread. A week is perfectly reasonable for a turnaround time, and it is realistic for the camera to reach 3-4 individuals in a month (barring international shipping). If you want the camera but don't think you can shoot a roll of film in a week or so, it is ok to pass on the camera for now. Look at Miso Beno, for example. He's buying a house, and that's a horrible time sink. He knows he can't get the camera turned around in a reasonable amount of time, and said so. Kudos to him for that.

Also, this project made me seriously consider buying a film SLR. I don't know if I will or not, but I really like the grainy look of what I shot, and the Maxxum 9 goes for $300ish. :allears: But then, I'd want to send it to Germany so it can be upgraded at the one remaining facility with the parts to make it autofocus with Sony's USM implementation, and and and . . . oh, this hobby.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just buy a pentax ME Super.

e. or a modern film body like a nikon n75 that costs 20 bucks and works with VR and af-s lenses.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 28, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If I do get a film body, I'd prefer to stick with Minolta so I don't have to buy another set of lenses. In-lens anti shake would be nice, though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Buy a medium format camera.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

If I do get a film body, I'd prefer to stick with Minolta so I don't have to buy another set of lenses. In-lens anti shake would be nice, though.

For that 300 bucks you could get a film body, a wide normal and zoom and be good to go. Something like...an AE-1, Vivitar 24 f2, normal 50 and series 1 70-210 should come pretty well under 300 bucks if you are shopping smart. It is no ME super but just get something simple and shoot some film.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Somebody wanting to buy an old-school 35mm SLR is what got this going in the first place - anybody else remember the insane second-hand prices for mass-produced consumer manual-focus SLRs in Perth?

Maxxum bodies routinely go for around $100 with a lens or two in Saskatoon, which is far from a busy, competitive marketplace for second-hand stuff (Kijiji, Craigslist, etc.) that a place like Seattle must be. I dunno about a Maxxum 9, but various other autofocus bodies that will happily mount Sony-alpha are easy to find.

A week is fine, I had originally expected each shooter to have the camera for about a week or two. I find it surprisingly difficult to burn an entire 36-frame roll in a short period, mainly because film concentrates my mind on making sure each photo has at least a good chance of being "good" (however that might be defined).

I described Bob Socko's impressive (most impressive) effort as "epic" because it counts as proof-of-concept for this little adventure; not every shooter has to go to such lengths. Just shoot what you want to shoot, and don't neglect us too badly, please.

Now seems like a good time to summarize the travels of the AE-1 to date.
Execudork - Saskatoon, SK (pictures in this thread, pictures on DICPIX)
Akward Davies - New York, NY (pictures in this thread, not on DICPIX)
nonanone - New York, NY (pictures in this thread, pictures on DICPIX)
dorkasaurus_rex - New York, NY (pictures nowhere to be seen)
ShotgunWillie - New York, NY (pictures nowhere to be seen)
Bob Socko - Seattle, WA (pictures in this thread, pictures on DICPIX) - also, photography superhero.

and it is on its way to TheLastManStanding - San Francisco, CA

Honourable Mention: pseudonordic for swooping in with some save-the-day batteries

As always, final say rests with the person in possession of the camera, but currently the plan is for it to go to xzzy next.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I was thinking a Maxxum 9 because it was the last of the pro-grade cameras to come out of Minolta before they went digital and were sold to Sony. Plus, if I go for the absolute top-of-the-line model right off the bat, I won't find myself in another upgrade loop like I am with my DSLR gear. Going cheap would be easy - KEH has 9 Maxxum bodies priced at $25 or less, including one priced at $1.99.

But, this is probably derailing the thread. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bob Socko posted:

(I)f I go for the absolute top-of-the-line model right off the bat, I won't find myself in another upgrade loop like I am with my DSLR gear.

This is why I got an EOS 3 for my film SLR. :3:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
That is why I got an EOS 3 for my film SLR. :3::hf::3:

But to get back on topic, the AE-1 arrived today: That is such a cute pelican. I might have to buy one of those for my cameras.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Good to hear! Pelican cases are not cheap, but they're good value - the company will replace a broken one for free as long as (this is the hilarious part) the damage wasn't caused by shark attack, a bear, or a child younger than 5 years old.

That reminds me: the Pelican came from my girlfriend, and she wants to know if people have been putting stickers on it or writing on it or otherwise marking its passage around the world.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Akward Davies and nonanone signed their names and locations. ShotgunWillie and BobSocko wrote quotes. I'm not sure what I'll put yet.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Akward Davies and nonanone signed their names and locations. ShotgunWillie and BobSocko wrote quotes. I'm not sure what I'll put yet.

Dickbutt.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd cover it in pentax stickers but I don't want anyone to try stealing it, thinking it's valuable or something.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have like 15 sheets of those little stickers petapixel sells, because I thought they were limited time only and bought a ton just in case.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Just to piss people off, I plan on Texasing the poo poo out of the case. Feel free to peel off or deface any stickers I put on it, but for a few glorious moments, everyone will know about the one state you are not free to mess with.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

squidflakes posted:

Just to piss people off, I plan on Texasing the poo poo out of the case. Feel free to peel off or deface any stickers I put on it, but for a few glorious moments, everyone will know about the one state you are not free to mess with.

I got kin in Ranger, TX (halfway between Abilene and Fort Worth). :patriot:

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

pseudonordic posted:

I got kin in Ranger, TX (halfway between Abilene and Fort Worth). :patriot:

If for whatever reason I was tasked with filming a post apocalyptic movie, I'd make it in Ranger.

All but like 4 businesses on main street are abandoned and everything else is falling apart. There are building actively collapsing right in the middle of town, I've never seen anything like it. There is a shoe store on main that somebody apparently just walked away from, the shoes are all still in the windows and on the walls. There is some sort of store right next to it that you can walk into through a ~6x10 foot hole in the back wall of the store that people just throw their garbage into.

If you ever make it out that way stop in at Fox's General Store (supplying chainsaws to coffins, as advertised) and have a talk with the man that runs it. He couldn't take L.A. traffic anymore so he bought a general store, sight unseen, and moved his family out to the middle of nowhere, Texas. Somewhere I have an hour of interview footage of a lady in a motorized wheelchair that had rolled up to find out what I was taking photos of and why. She had been undergoing surgeries to help correct her legs and knees that were mangled in a car crash that had killed her sister. Her last remaining family member was her brother who lived in Ranger so she moved there to be with him and he had just died so she was trying to figure what she was going to do.

What I'm saying is you should take the camera down for a visit with your relatives.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ThisQuietReverie posted:

If for whatever reason I was tasked with filming a post apocalyptic movie, I'd make it in Ranger.

All but like 4 businesses on main street are abandoned and everything else is falling apart. There are building actively collapsing right in the middle of town, I've never seen anything like it. There is a shoe store on main that somebody apparently just walked away from, the shoes are all still in the windows and on the walls. There is some sort of store right next to it that you can walk into through a ~6x10 foot hole in the back wall of the store that people just throw their garbage into.

If you ever make it out that way stop in at Fox's General Store (supplying chainsaws to coffins, as advertised) and have a talk with the man that runs it. He couldn't take L.A. traffic anymore so he bought a general store, sight unseen, and moved his family out to the middle of nowhere, Texas. Somewhere I have an hour of interview footage of a lady in a motorized wheelchair that had rolled up to find out what I was taking photos of and why. She had been undergoing surgeries to help correct her legs and knees that were mangled in a car crash that had killed her sister. Her last remaining family member was her brother who lived in Ranger so she moved there to be with him and he had just died so she was trying to figure what she was going to do.

What I'm saying is you should take the camera down for a visit with your relatives.

I was last out in Ranger in 2008. My relatives there have bought up a good amount of the property including the old firehouse. I really , REALLY need to get back there when I have more than 12 hours in town.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I wish there were cities like this near me, I'd love to spend the day snooping and shooting. :(

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Bob Socko posted:

I wish there were cities like this near me, I'd love to spend the day snooping and shooting. :(

This is not a city. 2,500 people. I haven't been there since the late 90's. I really want to go back after the way ThisQuietReverie described it.

Thanks ThisQuietReverie. Now I have an idea for a road trip and photo project. Cruise around Texas and Oklahoma and visit all the little towns that are on the verge of death.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 2, 2013

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Bob Socko posted:

Come check out Detroit. We've got abandoned skyscrapers.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

a foolish pianist posted:

Come check out Detroit. We've got abandoned skyscrapers.

Robocop was one hell of a documentary.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Soooooo......... Is anyone going to send me an address or something? I had hoped to send the camera out tomorrow (saturday) night, since if I don't I won't have time until Tuesday to do so, but I don't have anywhere to send it yet.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Soooooo......... Is anyone going to send me an address or something? I had hoped to send the camera out tomorrow (saturday) night, since if I don't I won't have time until Tuesday to do so, but I don't have anywhere to send it yet.

Well shoot you can always mail it to me if xzzy doesn't speak up before then. I'll pm you my address just in case xyyz or someone else doesn't notice the thread in time.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Whitezombi posted:

This is not a city. 2,500 people. I haven't been there since the late 90's. I really want to go back after the way ThisQuietReverie described it.

Thanks ThisQuietReverie. Now I have an idea for a road trip and photo project. Cruise around Texas and Oklahoma and visit all the little towns that are on the verge of death.

That's how I spend my summers so if you find yourself in the Dallas area look me up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Not super-close to Seattle, but surely there are old mostly- or completely-abandoned mining and lumber-mill towns in central Washington state, and in Oregon? Played-out mines are fun (and ridiculously dangerous) places to visit, and watching the forest retake the land where once a sawmill stood is always a good time.

I don't have any problems with the camera going to Mr. Despair if xzzy doesn't get an address to TheLastManStanding in time.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

A lot of the abandoned towns near Seattle were demo'd when the local railway/mine/lumbermill pulled out, or simply rotted away - the climate here is hell on wooden structures. I've had an on-again, off-again project to try and figure out what happened to the town of Galena, but there's so little to go off of that I may not even be able to find the site. It's on some old railroad maps, but not others, and the maps are poor enough that I can only narrow things down to within a mile or two. Even then, the only building I know they had was a log-cabin hotel, not sure if it had a stone foundation or not. Last time I tried to make it there, part of the road had been overtaken by a mountain stream and was impassable for my buddies and I.

There are some good ghost-esque towns in eastern Washington and north-central Oregon, but I'm looking at anywhere from 2-4 hours if driving, each way. Mines are a better bet, and I've got a lead on a good one within a half hour of here. There's a huge derelict Weyerhauser mill near me, but a local rally cross school uses the grounds to practice, so they have staff on site from time to time. I spent about half an hour watching the site from a hill to figure out where the security guard hangs out, but I never spotted him - only his truck. The last thing I need is some backwoods sherriff and a rent-a-cop breaking my balls.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 2, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I wanna shoot that mill too but every time I have made my way over there I have seen a truck or King County Sheriff parked there.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

That's how I spend my summers so if you find yourself in the Dallas area look me up.

Will do.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Late update: Camera is on it's way to Mr. Despair and should be there by Wednesday. The 35mm didn't have a lens cap with it so I threw one in. I meant to throw in a cpl that I had laying around, but I forgot. I had also planned to dress up the camera as an ME Super, but didn't get around to it. I should be able to get the pictures up by the weekend. Do I get a tumbler name or can I just zip them?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I will cut the nameplate off of an ME Super and glue it over the AE-1, don't worry.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Good stuff. Thanks for the lens cap. I sent you a PM with the tumblr details - if you don't have PMs, email me: martinbrummell AT msn DOT com.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I have a roll of kodachrome all set to go . :unsmigghh:

e. although the fixer might take longer to get here than the camera, I forgot to order some fresh stuff.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The camera showed up! It felt a little weird, so I attached an ME Super to it, hopefully it leeches off some goodness.

:getin:

• Locked thread