Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I actually started because I thought Krueger and Tharn Ravagers looked cool, but that's neither here nor there. And I got into Khador for Old Witch and all of the iron fang stuff. And WGRC, which I still don't own for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Haven't started a second army yet but those art deco motherfuckers look extremely tempting. I'm a sucker for that aesthetic.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

AttackBacon posted:

I would disagree, although I think more with the wording of your post than the spirit of it. There are plenty of "good" warjacks. Almost every character jack is good and each faction has at least 2-3 solid heavy choices and maybe even a good light or two (although I think the Focus mechanic, which I will get to, hurts lights the most). Warjacks have always been good in general. Sure warbeasts are arguably better. But I don't think that is a blanket statement and I don't think it's the fault of the models themselves. It has much more to do with the Focus vs the Fury mechanic, which is why I say that I probably agree with the spirit of your post. When you say "PP has struggled with making warjacks good" what I get from that is "it is almost never optimal to run a force primarily focused on warjacks". Of course correct me if that is not what you are getting at, but from my view that is the crux of the issue. We all started this game going "OH SICK GIANT STEAMPUNK ROBOTS THAT CAN DO WRESTLING MOVES" and at some point I suspect every one of us was disappointed that it just often better to take one or two of those sweet robots and focus more on infantry.

However, I think that short of a new edition, PP designed themselves into a corner with Focus. By all accounts MK II does a hell of a better job encouraging you to take jacks than MK I did. Still, Fury just works better at allowing you to load up on big meaty fists. Colossals and now Cyriss I feel are PP making attempts at bringing back the giant robot action we all want without causing the agony that a MK III would bring. If you look at the quality of balance at the start of MK II vs now I think the general trend is towards a more tightly balanced game with fewer outliers. Which makes things like the MK and the Stormwall stand out all the more. But I have faith in the overall trend and I'm excited for the future.

Yea, you've basically got it. They just keep dropping the ball on the warjack rules in the core rule book, and that trickles down into making warjacks more frustrating and less optimal than many people would like.

And as a MK1 player, my god are they so much better than in MK1, yet at the end of the day they are still in a very similar place, even if it isn't quite as bad. Then of course they keep squirting out fury 5 warbeasts, and higher and higher POW/ARM beasts like Tibers and Cheetorix.

I've got my fingers crossed, I want CoC to be a faction where you can play with all sorts of stompy robots. Then again, they've got 10 years of proving to me year after year that they *really* struggle with warjack game mechanics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AttackBacon posted:

I would disagree, although I think more with the wording of your post than the spirit of it. There are plenty of "good" warjacks. Almost every character jack is good and each faction has at least 2-3 solid heavy choices and maybe even a good light or two (although I think the Focus mechanic, which I will get to, hurts lights the most). Warjacks have always been good in general. Sure warbeasts are arguably better. But I don't think that is a blanket statement and I don't think it's the fault of the models themselves. It has much more to do with the Focus vs the Fury mechanic, which is why I say that I probably agree with the spirit of your post. When you say "PP has struggled with making warjacks good" what I get from that is "it is almost never optimal to run a force primarily focused on warjacks". Of course correct me if that is not what you are getting at, but from my view that is the crux of the issue. We all started this game going "OH SICK GIANT STEAMPUNK ROBOTS THAT CAN DO WRESTLING MOVES" and at some point I suspect every one of us was disappointed that it just often better to take one or two of those sweet robots and focus more on infantry.

However, I think that short of a new edition, PP designed themselves into a corner with Focus. By all accounts MK II does a hell of a better job encouraging you to take jacks than MK I did. Still, Fury just works better at allowing you to load up on big meaty fists. Colossals and now Cyriss I feel are PP making attempts at bringing back the giant robot action we all want without causing the agony that a MK III would bring. If you look at the quality of balance at the start of MK II vs now I think the general trend is towards a more tightly balanced game with fewer outliers. Which makes things like the MK and the Stormwall stand out all the more. But I have faith in the overall trend and I'm excited for the future.

This is why I'm going to start Legion in a month or so: I wanna hit things. I wanna hit things with angry monsters from the depths of hell.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Sulecrist posted:

I actually started because I thought Krueger and Tharn Ravagers looked cool, but that's neither here nor there. And I got into Khador for Old Witch and all of the iron fang stuff. And WGRC, which I still don't own for some reason.

Don't you dare invalidate my post with your logic and reason Sulecrist. Hyperbole got me into this mess and by God hyperbole is going to get me out of it.

(I actually started because I thought Immortals looked completely badass)

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 2, 2013

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry to derail a bit here goons but, where do you go to see games played? Looking on youtube, i can't seem to find anything =S

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

Irate Tree posted:

Sorry to derail a bit here goons but, where do you go to see games played? Looking on youtube, i can't seem to find anything =S

BitzandPiecesNL on YouTube.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

Don't you dare invalidate my post with your logic and reason Sulecrist. Hyperbole got me into this mess and by God hyperbole is going to get me out of it.

(I actually started because I though Immortals looked completely badass)

Immortals are so cool. If I hadn't done Circle I would've done Skorne pretty much just for the constructs.

I like you, AttackBacon. You're a good egg,

Edit: I wish Ravagers had stealth.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Irate Tree posted:

In no particular order:

https://www.youtube.com/user/miniwargaming

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarGamerGirl

https://www.youtube.com/user/WargamerDragonar

https://www.youtube.com/user/Belloflostsouls

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks goons! :D

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Is it wrong that the new faction makes me want to play my old faction more?
Goddamn do I love me some Cygnar.....
Menoth is fun too I guess

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Nightwatcher posted:

Is it wrong that the new faction makes me want to play my old faction more?
Goddamn do I love me some Cygnar.....
Menoth is fun too I guess

I am in the exact same boat as you, seeing them just makes me want to play PoM even more.

They talk about them being a Warjack faction, but PoM does that really well right now, guess I am just spoiled with choir.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I was skeptical but it looks like the new faction meshes really, really well with the existing game. Not doing GW's angle of "look how much cooler and better the new guys are" but keeping the design and quality consistent.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Asphyxious posted:

I was skeptical but it looks like the new faction meshes really, really well with the existing game. Not doing GW's angle of "look how much cooler and better the new guys are" but keeping the design and quality consistent.

The cascading focus mechanic looks really interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of limiting factors, if any, they've applied to it so that it's not overpowered. One focus going between 'jacks is fine, but I can see three lasting an entire turn between all the 'jacks leading to a bit of a problem since the only counter to it I can think of is anything which allows the opponent to choose order of activation, which to my knowledge is only available in eHaley's feat.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
On relooking at the pics and such, I'm loving the clean art-deco minimalism in the casters and the concepts for the angel infantry mixed with the crudity of the weapons and attachments they've got on them, but I'm less enamored with the Vectors' busy models, the infantry models they showed and the bits and bobs sticking out at odd angles. Maybe it's just the paint job that makes it look a bit muddled, though. I'd be tempted to do a lot of non-metallic clean shiny looks, like really shiny lacquer mixed with a bit of NMM chrome.

Something like this TV maybe, except in a softer color like cream.

Just so that every single Cyriss army doesn't become a mess of metal paint.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Just so that every single Cyriss army doesn't become a mess of metal paint.

Metal is stronger than flesh~

I was thinking of eventually getting some Cyriss and maybe painting them like riced out cars

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Paint 'em up to look like a bunch of Kitchen Aid food processors: shiny, nice bright and cheerful colours.

Delightful.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All the better to mince the enemy with, dear.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

signalnoise posted:

Metal is stronger than flesh~

I was thinking of eventually getting some Cyriss and maybe painting them like riced out cars

How many inches to SPD does a racing stripe add?

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

omnibobb posted:

All of them.

I think I'm going to be doing chrome as an undercoat, tinting different panels for interest, and painting the faces like porcelain masks or something. Absolutely interested in picking up this faction, the new mechanics look interesting and challenging all at once, and I love that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Devlan Mud posted:

Khador players are whiny fucks whenever something is released that isn't better than the WGDS. They're magical sprays on light cav horses.

Be that as it may, I roll Khador and I'm really sold! Young turks racing purebreds wielding a war axe in one hand and cones of cold in the other? :awesome:

omnibobb posted:

Lookit dat scrub. Effrywon knowz red wunz go fasta! :orks:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I was also thinking a porcelain look would look really cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PaintVagrant posted:

Or if you really want to bring the pain for painting, marble.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Get out of my head!

Totally what I was thinking yesterday. That or a shiny, ceramic kind of look. A really glossy white with some kind of accent color would look dope I bet.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

My fiancee is terrified that I'm going to start them as a third faction. Joke's on her, I'm thinking mercs or trolls or Protectorate or Ret!

In all seriousness, like several other people in the thread, this news is just making me even more excited about what I already have. Also I just finished painting my BDIFP and I am not going to buy another full combat unit for a long, long time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm looking forward to the new mechanics because i think there's some design space for new jack casters borrowing a few things from the new Cyriss faction.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Welp, about to fire up the Sotar for the first time. Wish me luck! Gonna try some simple highlights and shading on a Khador jack for starts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I'm looking forward to the new mechanics because i think there's some design space for new jack casters borrowing a few things from the new Cyriss faction.

Yeah, with their gimmick being so entrenched in the rest of the game rules, I can see existing factions getting new gimmicks.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I want to paint them with glowy lines to look like the Mechon from Xenoblade.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I am getting really curious about the fluff, particularly how Cyriss is going to fit in overall in the theatre of war of Immoren. On the forums Doug Seacatt has already said they will be doing some retcon on the current info we have on the Convergence of Cyriss, I think he even had a semi legit reason for doing so.

Interesting things we know so far Cygnar's King formally recognised the church as a legitimate religion, and the Cult were instrumental in the construction of the Squire (they assisted Nemo directly). Nemo also built eStrykers armour and Thunderhead by reverse engineering Cyriss tech he found in a dungeon dive.

We know the Convergence likes to build their big temples over ley lines, something that will assuredly bring them into conflict with Ret and Circle. The most interesting question though is whether the Convergence will ally with any faction since unlike Menoth it doesn't really have its own lands.

We know for sure now that Hordes is getting a new faction for their 10th anniversary and that the Machinations league running all this year is meant to have a big reveal at the end. My guess is it will be what the new Hordes faction is, personally I am really hoping it is Cephalyx, a group of bioengineering mindflayers could allow for some really awesome units.

Some release information we have on the convergence
May Battlebox
June/July Forces of Warmachine: Convergence of Cyriss
Heavy jack kit
Potential light jack kit or 3 separate light jacks.
Battle Engine and Colossal.
We also know they have been play testing the faction for 2 cycles so a lot of models could be ready but not sculpted.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 3, 2013

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I could see Convergence possibly allying with Cryx, Khador, Trolls, and Skorne, and they've worked with Cygnar before. Really, I'm wondering what's gotten them on the warpath as something bigger than a Merc contract--they've got a reason to stand apart from every other nation, and I'm curious ad to what that reason is. Maybe it's a "kill all meat puppets" thing, but I kind of hope it's more interesting. Maybe they're working for the liberation of steamjacks everywhere, like a sweet techy cross between Spartacus and Greenpeace.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Them allying with Cryx would be cool, and would kinda make sense, now that Asphyxious is the head honcho, and he's all about the war industry.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Mortenebra was formally a member of the cult but after killing a bunch of disciples and running off to Cryx with Cyriss tech I am guessing they aren't on the best of terms with them.

My guess as to why they are showing up now would be they have read some prophecy in a mathematical formula and are acting on behalf of the Maiden of Gears, I suspect we will see some Pythagoras influence sooner or later. They will probably "ally" with Cygnar while pushing their own agenda behind the scenes. The next book will be all about pushing back the Cryxian forces that and Epic Karchev escaping from Denegrah (hopefully).

Also kind of curious as to the significance of the Induction Node their Jacks use as opposed to a Cortex, if it has any fluff basis and isn't just a rule.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 3, 2013

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Plus, considering that the Cephalyx are allies of Cryx and the Cyrissists share a mutual loathing with the Cephalyx, that seems like another nail in the coffin of any alliance with the Cephalyx, on top of Mortenebra being a traitor that actually kidnapped one of their roboticized priests and dissected his mechanical body with him still conscious.

On the other hand, it seems to me that this would make a Cephalyx Hordes army even more likely. Which would be pretty goddamn cool.

Also, it's worth noting that the new IK RPG actually states in a sidebar that at the moment the Cult of Cyriss is fighting an underground war with both the Circle and the Retribution over, yes, the ley lines. So now that they're coming out in the open with an army of their own, I can only imagine they'll be gunning for the Circle and Retribution even more than before.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I'm thinking of making Convergence more tan, that old-copper green colour, and maybe some basing moss on them. Sort of like the Laputa golem.

Edit: Fixed image link

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 3, 2013

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's still metallic, sure, but I'm thinking of trying something a little like the Foggernauts from Wakfu. Brass, steel, and a bit of purple.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 3, 2013

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Yeah, what with the League being called Machinations (the Cephalyx are nothing if not scheming manipulators) and all the scenarios having the word Umbra in them I think Cephalyx/Infernals (or maybe the Cephalyx are infernalists?) are very likely.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah, what with the League being called Machinations (the Cephalyx are nothing if not scheming manipulators) and all the scenarios having the word Umbra in them I think Cephalyx/Infernals (or maybe the Cephalyx are infernalists?) are very likely.

Or it's going to help explain the new factions motivations. Especially considering some of the Keywords for the Machinations rules: Schematics, Devices, Star Charts

S.J. fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 3, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Calling it right now, Deathjack is going to have been some early attempt at bonding a human soul to a machine by Cyriss.

Manifest fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Heh. Maybe all character jacks are experiments in that. Cyriss priests just secretly plugging away, gathering information on cortex operation and autonomous behaviour.

Makes you wonder WHAT the character jacks for Cyriss will be like.

I mean, beyond being amazing of course.

• Locked thread