Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Ursine Asylum posted:

But yeah that and another jedi managed to kill a ship by himself by inverting the black hole bug as well, although I think those are the only 2 times they do that in the series.
That was also Luke and I'm pretty sure it was by Troy Denning both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That was also Luke and I'm pretty sure it was by Troy Denning both times.

I actually think it was Kyp in an Allston book, unless it happened 3 times. :shobon:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I actually think it was Kyp in an Allston book, unless it happened 3 times. :shobon:
That's not what I remember, but it's been 4-5 years since I've read them, so you might be right.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ursine Asylum posted:

Kyp did it in either Rebel Dream or Rebel Stand.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Metal Loaf posted:

I was going to mention, I've been thinking a lot lately about what shape the prequel trilogy could have taken if Lucas had stuck with the idea of the Jedi as samurai in space rather than the Knights Templar in space.
If they were samurai in space they would be crushed by their own government fielding a far more massive army against them.

If they were Knights Templar in space they would be crushed by their own religious order.

Honestly the clones aren't exactly a peasant army but they fit the samurai template better...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
For anyone who cares, SWGemu is pretty much more or less done and active now. We're populating their main server right now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha. Check out the quote of the day on Wookieepedia:

Leland Chee posted:

In the end, my ongoing vision is that as long as there's the Holocron, Star Wars will not reboot.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Soooooooo....

Disney is going to do a few stand alone films beyond the next trilogy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Disney is diving right into :regd08: territory already. I firmly believe that this whole thing is going to end up being worse for the franchise than the prequels ever were. (and the prequels loving sucked)

gently caress why do I even care anymore, I stopped giving a poo poo about the franchise after The Unifying Force.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 6, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm kind of tempted to check it out. Not having to play a subscription fee not only keeps you from losing money, I also wouldn't feel the need to play so much to "get my money's worth".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calax posted:

Soooooooo....

Disney is going to do a few stand alone films beyond the next trilogy.

This was announced way back when they bought LFL, though. Not really new news. However what is new is that Lawrence Kasdan of all people is going to be writing one of them, which I am definitely fine with.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
What are the recommended, if any, books/stories about Boba Fett? I want to read some bad rear end bounty hunting.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Suran37 posted:

What are the recommended, if any, books/stories about Boba Fett? I want to read some bad rear end bounty hunting.

The one from Tales Of The Bounty Hunters that was pre-retcon is ok from what I remember. I also remember really enjoying The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy by K.W. Jeter, but I've heard so little of it in this thread, that I wonder if I'm suffering from rose-colored glasses.

All in all, I think even good stories might be suffering from Boba Fett-backlash. One particular culprit comes to mind, but there are many, and it's unfortunate.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

The one from Tales Of The Bounty Hunters that was pre-retcon is ok from what I remember. I also remember really enjoying The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy by K.W. Jeter, but I've heard so little of it in this thread, that I wonder if I'm suffering from rose-colored glasses.

All in all, I think even good stories might be suffering from Boba Fett-backlash. One particular culprit comes to mind, but there are many, and it's unfortunate.

You are. They did it for the Old Let's Read thread.

In general Boba doesn't get many badass scenes (and I think he dies in Tales of the Empire... from Han shooting him at 60).

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Calax posted:

You are. They did it for the Old Let's Read thread.

In general Boba doesn't get many badass scenes (and I think he dies in Tales of the Empire... from Han shooting him at 60).

He definitely doesn't; he's a recurring supporting character in LOTF and beyond.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ursine Asylum posted:

He definitely doesn't; he's a recurring supporting character in LOTF and beyond.

You mean like the main character, right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

api call girl posted:

You mean like the main character, right?
Whenever Traviss was writing, yes. There are significantly less Mandos in FOTJ.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Suran37 posted:

His stories in Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales of the Empire are pretty great. The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy can be enjoyable but only if you take it completely at face value and don't try to think about it at all, because then you will realize that the whole book makes no goddamn sense. The old Let's Read thread had amazing infographics trying to show who was stabbing who in the back at any one time and it ended up being almost Gordian knot levels of goofy. I can't really think of any of other standalone stories about him, except for one graphic novel where he fights Darth Vader but I don't remember if that was good or terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Epi Lepi posted:

I can't really think of any of other standalone stories about him, except for one graphic novel where he fights Darth Vader but I don't remember if that was good or terrible.

That was probably Enemy Of the Empire, which is collected in Dark Horse's Omnibus: Boba Fett collection alongside Death, Lies and Treachery and Twin Engines Of Destruction. Most of it was published before Episode II came out, so if you're interested in Boba Fett as a bounty hunter without any of his MANDOS baggage, it probably your best option.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
When I heard about the spinoff movies I went on a rollercoaster of a thought process:

* Spinoffs can only detract from the quality of the existing films
* Actually, no, Star Wars has a huge body of spinoffs already, and they don't make the good any worse, you can take them or leave them
* In fact, some of the Star Wars EU is pretty good, and a lot of care would be put into spinoff films
* Then again, bug orgies
* Still, only focusing on one character could be a safe approach
* I don't think any one character is strong enough to carry a whole film, though
* Bug orgies

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I think it's just going to dilute the film products, unless it really world-builds beyond what Marvel had done pre-Avengers.

But, it's predictable. After that much investment, Disney shareholders want those eventual returns maximized.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Longbaugh01 posted:

I also remember really enjoying The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy by K.W. Jeter

I enjoyed that trilogy, parts of it were probably stupid but overall I think it is worth reading if for no reason than it doesn't focus solely on Han Solo and Luke saving the galaxy.

E: That being said, anybody else read Scoundrels yet? Just finished it, overall I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

E2: Except for the twist. I forgot about that and think that is stupid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm kind of tempted to check it out. Not having to play a subscription fee not only keeps you from losing money, I also wouldn't feel the need to play so much to "get my money's worth".

Go for it, the people we've got are really chill and will try and help you get on your feet much quicker so you can relive your Moisture Farming MMO dreams.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Go for it, the people we've got are really chill and will try and help you get on your feet much quicker so you can relive your Moisture Farming MMO dreams.

Really, I'd rather relive my dream of purchasing power converters from a reputable Tosche Station vendor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If you're interested in the other Fett, I'd highly recommend the comic "Jango Fett: Open Seasons". It covers his life from childhood, to joining the Mandalorians, and his life up until he gets hired by Dooku to be used as a template for the clone army. As someone who really has no interest in (either) Fett, or Mandalorians, or bounty hunters, or any of that, I still thought it was a really great read.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

(Spoilers for the new book Scoundrels) Boba Fett is in Scoundrels. It's only revealed in the very last paragraph of the book that he was one of the main characters in disguise the whole time. It's incredibly stupid and ruined an otherwise decent book for me. The needless circlejerking of famous characters is why I stopped reading Star Wars books in the first place. I shouldn't have come back. Looking at wookieepedia, it turns out that Fett had tried and failed multiple times to capture or kill Solo, so I guess he's just as incompetent as he was portrayed in RotJ and not the cool dude in ESB.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boba Fett is the Wolverine of Star Wars.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

taco_fox posted:

(Spoilers for the new book Scoundrels) Boba Fett is in Scoundrels. It's only revealed in the very last paragraph of the book that he was one of the main characters in disguise the whole time. It's incredibly stupid and ruined an otherwise decent book for me. The needless circlejerking of famous characters is why I stopped reading Star Wars books in the first place. I shouldn't have come back. Looking at wookieepedia, it turns out that Fett had tried and failed multiple times to capture or kill Solo, so I guess he's just as incompetent as he was portrayed in RotJ and not the cool dude in ESB.

Honestly, if you want to enjoy this book don't read that spoiler. I think it will literally ruin the book for you. The book is 99% decent and you will enjoy it a lot more if you don't know whats in that spoiler.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fett and Solo get their own prequels apparently.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Calax posted:

Fett and Solo get their own prequels apparently.

Who the gently caress even cares about Boba Fett anymore after AoTC? Literally every single cool thing about him was pretty much retroactively destroyed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comics Boba Fett still kicks rear end. Book Boba Fett is dead to me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

All this news about new Star Wars movies is really making me reflect on just how disappointing and flawed the prequels were. Every now and then I like to imagine what could have been if the movies had been competently made and envision my own detailed storyline for the prequels. Suffice to say it had absolutely no similarity to the prequels we actually got. Has anyone else done that?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The most obvious issue, as being talked about in the CD thread, is the re-casting of Han Solo.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who the gently caress even cares about Boba Fett anymore after AoTC? Literally every single cool thing about him was pretty much retroactively destroyed.

Here's a thought that can maybe save some of the Star Wars stuff for you, though: Just imagine the entire Star Wars films series isn't what 'really' happened long ago in a galaxy far, far away, but what is pieced together from legends and poorly kept historical materials from the era.

Obviously, the Empire probably scoured a lot of the pre-Empire historical records clean and put a lot of revisionist history out there to reflect their own version of events so that even after the fall of the Empire a lot of this doctored material was either so well-accepted or the only stuff left that it became considered the real history.

Since the events of the Original Trilogy is based more on the winning Rebels, we can assume what happened there might be more to their perspective and perhaps more honest to what actually happened.

Since Palpatine won the events of the Prequels, though, he made sure to rewrite history to showcase the Jedi as a bunch of jerks, everyone else as idiots, keeping his role in the fall of the Republic completely secret, etc. At a loss, future historians, students and writers trying to uncover and speculate on the true events of the time are also forced to work from the surviving Palpatine lies and half-truth propaganda as a partial basis to describe the otherwise unknown events behind the lead-up to the Clone Wars, the fall of the Republic and the Jedi and the rise of the Empire.

In reality, the Jedi, the Clone Wars, Boba Fett, the Mandolorians, and the Rise of the Empire is a lot more interesting, but Palpy made sure all that stuff went into the recycle bin.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

JediTalentAgent posted:

Here's a thought that can maybe save some of the Star Wars stuff for you, though: Just imagine the entire Star Wars films series isn't what 'really' happened long ago in a galaxy far, far away, but what is pieced together from legends and poorly kept historical materials from the era.

That's what I've been doing for years, and as such I really don't have much problems with continuity issues like "are the Mandalorians all warriors, or were they pacifists for a time?" or "when exactly did Even Piell die?". Maybe Anakin did have a padawan named Ahsoka, maybe he didn't. I can juggle both versions in my head.

I tend to see it more like when you've been reading comic books for a long time. There's no feasible way Batman can have been around since the 1940s and still be 35 years old today, so it makes more sense to look at his stories like an extended mythology: All of them are true on some level.

The best example in Star Wars for me remains this clip from the first Clone Wars miniseries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A07WNupEXk
I like to think this is exactly how the little kid described the battle to his friends later that day.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Just pretend that Han or Lando is telling the stories.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Suran37 posted:

His story in Tales of the New Republic is awesome in a mindless, action movie way. It's called No Disintegrations, Please. He takes on a whole Imperial garrison by himself.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hello Towel posted:

His story in Tales of the New Republic is awesome in a mindless, action movie way. It's called No Disintegrations, Please. He takes on a whole Imperial garrison by himself.

I thought that was in Tales of the Empire, but I think you're right. I'm not sure now if there was a Boba Fett story in Tales of the Empire.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

He's on the cover of some printings, but I don't think there's a story about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
No Disintegrations is definitely in Tales of the New Republic. And that one story is worth picking up the entire book.