Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That sucks that we won't be seeing that full 2012 Paradox bundle come back :( I wanted CK2 + DLC and Warlock - Masters of the Arcane (totally loved the demo too :() Any chance it'll come back within the next, say, week or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

That sucks that we won't be seeing that full 2012 Paradox bundle come back :( I wanted CK2 + DLC and Warlock - Masters of the Arcane (totally loved the demo too :() Any chance it'll come back within the next, say, week or two?

Tony's trying to get back before tomorrow I think with a unique extension on the EC coupons I think.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xanthan posted:

Tony's trying to get back before tomorrow I think with a unique extension on the EC coupons I think.

I just hope it is up longer than last time. I was very much going to buy it, but by the time I got home from work... Poof, gone. Regardless, I still appreciate the ever-loving crap out of Tony for what he does. Its made me a much, much more active Amazon customer, from hardly ever to "yeah, gunna check them out before buying something"

MostlyLucid
Mar 1, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

I just hope it is up longer than last time. I was very much going to buy it, but by the time I got home from work... Poof, gone. Regardless, I still appreciate the ever-loving crap out of Tony for what he does. Its made me a much, much more active Amazon customer, from hardly ever to "yeah, gunna check them out before buying something"

Game _literally_ sold out as I was purchasing, I hesitated and it was gone. For future reference, never hesitate.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

MostlyLucid posted:

Game _literally_ sold out as I was purchasing, I hesitated and it was gone. For future reference, never hesitate.

What if this was a deliberate Ultimate Marketing Finish Move by Tony to make sure that now we are dependent on his crazy and amazing deals we will never, ever hesitate to pick them up again?

If so, it worked.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I love the prices, but man. If it weren't for them I'd leave and not come back.

I still can't buy with my own address. This is sort of circumventable by having someone from US buy it for you, but that only works for stuff with Steam codes. It's also a bit of a pain to ask someone for 22 Steam codes. I will not lie my address just to buy stuff.

Codes running out is something that I thought no big retailer would run into anymore. Either show that you have a limited amount of codes right on the sale page or take in all orders even after you're out and provide the coder later. Whichever way the publisher prefers is fine, just as long as you don't have to guess whether it's ever coming back or not. Speaking of guessing...

All sale pages need a clock. gently caress trying to guess how long this particular offer runs.

It's especially terrible when you're trying to guess whether or not you should start looking for an American to buy you the stuff you kinda want now or wait just a bit longer (with no guarantees either way) for the pack you really want. And then start looking for someone to buy it for you.

I wouldn't bother writing feedback otherwise but you seem like a cool guy and Steam needs some competition that understands what digital retailing is about. Could you please attempt to fix this poo poo?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hob_Gadling posted:

I love the prices, but man. If it weren't for them I'd leave and not come back.

I still can't buy with my own address. This is sort of circumventable by having someone from US buy it for you, but that only works for stuff with Steam codes. It's also a bit of a pain to ask someone for 22 Steam codes. I will not lie my address just to buy stuff.

Codes running out is something that I thought no big retailer would run into anymore. Either show that you have a limited amount of codes right on the sale page or take in all orders even after you're out and provide the coder later. Whichever way the publisher prefers is fine, just as long as you don't have to guess whether it's ever coming back or not. Speaking of guessing...

All sale pages need a clock. gently caress trying to guess how long this particular offer runs.

It's especially terrible when you're trying to guess whether or not you should start looking for an American to buy you the stuff you kinda want now or wait just a bit longer (with no guarantees either way) for the pack you really want. And then start looking for someone to buy it for you.

I wouldn't bother writing feedback otherwise but you seem like a cool guy and Steam needs some competition that understands what digital retailing is about. Could you please attempt to fix this poo poo?

Dude just use a fake American address.

I'm with you on the timer though, that would be very handy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PoshAlligator posted:

What if this was a deliberate Ultimate Marketing Finish Move by Tony to make sure that now we are dependent on his crazy and amazing deals we will never, ever hesitate to pick them up again?

If so, it worked.

That's not what the whole thread is about?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just want a definite answer on if the 2012 pack is coming back or not. And if not, can the EC coupons be reactivated for the CK2 pack?

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I believe I bought as many digital games off Amazon in the past few months as I did in the previous three years combined. Coupon success--mission accomplished!

Thank you, Tony, for making Amazon more fun, and for keeping Steam honest.

Kell_Dragon
Oct 25, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

Codes run out, as far as I know Amazon buys them from the publishers whereas services like Steam and Origin generate their own, so as long as this is their business model of course they run out. Though it's not on the page Tony has always been upfront about limited numbers in his posts.

That second suggestion is just stupid, why would Amazon continue to take your money after they were out of codes? You'd be 10 times as mad that they billed you for poo poo they didn't have;
"Amazon charged me for the 2012 Paradox pack and didn't give me the keys, 10 days later they finally refunded my money WHO THE gently caress DOES THIS?!?! Just sell the codes you have!" would be every other post in this thread. This would be especially frustrating if you were working this as a paypal transaction through some American friend.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Kell_Dragon posted:

Codes run out, as far as I know Amazon buys them from the publishers whereas services like Steam and Origin generate their own, so as long as this is their business model of course they run out. Though it's not on the page Tony has always been upfront about limited numbers in his posts.

Just to chime in, I'm certain in a lot of cases this isn't true. I've seen a number of games on Steam run out of keys and disappear for a while or just never get them back (Prey comes to mind first) but just about any game that is gone from Steam is either publisher issues or no more keys. It's pretty rare, admittedly, but Valve has to buy keys just like all the other digital storefronts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the event the Paradox 2012 pack comes back, could someone snag me one? I just headed to bed and I work a morning shift tomorrow, so if it does come back, I'll most likely miss it again. I'll gladly PayPal the cost if someone snags me one. Thanks goons!

Kell_Dragon
Oct 25, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

Just to chime in, I'm certain in a lot of cases this isn't true. I've seen a number of games on Steam run out of keys and disappear for a while or just never get them back (Prey comes to mind first) but just about any game that is gone from Steam is either publisher issues or no more keys. It's pretty rare, admittedly, but Valve has to buy keys just like all the other digital storefronts.

Oh, just assumed they used the iTunes model of selling an infinite number and cutting a check as they sell vs the how-Prince-expects-iTunes-to-work model of buying it all upfront and replenishing stock.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

The reason these Amazon deals are US only, I'm 99% sure, is the same reason US Steam prices are only for the US, Russian prices for Russia, etc. You have to jump through questionable hoops to circumvent it, and frankly Amazon seems to have a nudge-nudge-wink-wink easier- than-most to circumvent setup. Regional pricing and sale restrictions are not controlled by Amazon, Steam, whoever, and griping at them is crazy unfair to them.

Thanks for being cool, Tony.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
That was a drat good Editor's Choice Event, my wallet thanks you, Tony!

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Does Steam get any sort of remuneration because many of these games are steam works? Or is Amazon completely circumventing Steam for the publishers?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Stumpus posted:

Does Steam get any sort of remuneration because many of these games are steam works? Or is Amazon completely circumventing Steam for the publishers?

I believe Steam makes their tools available free.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Stumpus posted:

Only benefit for steam is that it expands their userbase.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Only benefit for steam is that it expands their userbase.

Which exposes them to sales on games that Amazon might or might not match, on items that might or might not be on Steam. For myself, its easier to have everything on Steam since I only have to go one place to find all of my games.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Why in the gently caress did I buy Tera to get founder status.......

So I guess the Paradox 2012 bundle is gone for good then?

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

I wouldn't hold my breath on it, I've been checking once in a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

xanthan posted:

Why in the gently caress did I buy Tera to get founder status.......

At $10, that really doesn't seem worth it.

For those who don't know, Tera is going free to play Feb 5th. Anyone who owns the game before that date get a few extra character slots, a bigger bank, and a free mount for every character. It's $10 on Amazon right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 3, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the Paradox 2012 pack is well and truly dead. Its not even showing the $14.99 price any more.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

And with that the money that was going towards goes to the X-com collection.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Is anyone else having key issues (as in the "Key" button just isn't there)? I just bought the Dungeon Siege pack, and upon looking at my Games Library none of the games have the button anymore. I know this was mentioned a little while ago, but I thought it was fixed :(.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

The Gasmask posted:

Is anyone else having key issues (as in the "Key" button just isn't there)? I just bought the Dungeon Siege pack, and upon looking at my Games Library none of the games have the button anymore. I know this was mentioned a little while ago, but I thought it was fixed :(.

I was just about to post the same question here. I just bought that Dungeon Siege pack as well, and when I look at my games library, there are no buttons to show the keys. I had the same issue earlier this week, and after reloading a couple times they popped up. 5 reloads so far, and nothing yet. This is a bit of a bummer.

steelpete
Sep 25, 2007
Yeah, all my keys have vanished, even for stuff I got months ago. Assuming its a glitch.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

Yeah I've only had my keys accessible once today, it's a bug. It's probably just that the server's getting hammered. You can download the exe and get a key if you're desperate.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Not_Log posted:

Yeah I've only had my keys accessible once today, it's a bug. It's probably just that the server's getting hammered. You can download the exe and get a key if you're desperate.

Alright, thanks. I figured it was a glitch, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one affected. Also didn't realize I could get the key from downloading the game - not gonna waste bandwidth doing that right now, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

E: Well, now all my old redeemed keys are showing up, but my new purchases don't have anything there. It's getting better!

steelpete
Sep 25, 2007
Actually, it wouldnt even pull my key with the dl installer, it seems to be back up now though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

The Gasmask posted:

E: Well, now all my old redeemed keys are showing up, but my new purchases don't have anything there. It's getting better!

I've got exactly the same thing now -- old keys are there, Dungeon Siege bundle keys are not.

EDIT: Upon looking more closely, I see that my order status for the Dungeon Siege bundle seems to suggest the order hasn't been completed. When I click on the invoice, I see a message at the top that says "Sorry, processing of this order is taking longer than expected // • This order may take up to 4 hours to process but usually will take less than an hour."

I hope that doesn't mean they're going to come up short on keys for these titles.

EDIT2: Amazon customer support e-mailed me back about this and said "Please be informed that there is a technical issue with the download and delivery of the product key. We've already contacted our technical team, and they're working on it to resolve the issue." So I guess it's something specific with the DS bundle. Hopefully something short term.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 3, 2013

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At $10, that really doesn't seem worth it.

For those who don't know, Tera is going free to play Feb 5th. Anyone who owns the game before that date get a few extra character slots, a bigger bank, and a free mount for every character. It's $10 on Amazon right now.

How big of an advantage is this? Been watching this game and saw it was going free so can't wait to try it. But are those bonuses worth $10?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm using a Phoenix AZ address and have never had to pay taxes on a digital game, but I bought the C&C collection just now and had to pay 1.46$ in taxes. Does anyone know why?

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Because the state legislators went and changed the law to get all that precious tax money. I knew it was coming soon, guess it finally went into effect.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The upside to this is that now Amazon can put a physical presence in all states. This could pave the way to same day shipping.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fixit posted:

How big of an advantage is this? Been watching this game and saw it was going free so can't wait to try it. But are those bonuses worth $10?

No idea. I assume the character slots is the biggest bonus. Having played Guild Wars 2 and feeling really inconvenienced by the limited character slots, starting with only two per server seems pretty bad. I wouldn't spend $10 for that just because I'm still unsure if I'll play the game much, but those slots will probably cost more in the cash shop.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.
Hey Goons,

Sorry I was out this weekend, I took the weekend off, caught a Muse show, brought the dog to the park, etc.

I'll be updating the OP this evening though, wanted to drop in and post this though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/socialmedia/promotions/vg-crysis3

In case any of you are Crytek fans and want to enter to go visit them.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fixit posted:

Hard to say. You also get a free mount for all characters, but you get one anyway at level 11, although I think it's slower. I'm pretty sure you can still go download the free trial version which will let you level pretty far. More than enough to get an idea of whether it's worth 10 bucks to you or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BobTheJanitor posted:

Hard to say. You also get a free mount for all characters, but you get one anyway at level 11, although I think it's slower. I'm pretty sure you can still go download the free trial version which will let you level pretty far. More than enough to get an idea of whether it's worth 10 bucks to you or not.

As a heads-up, as far as I can tell you have to buy the physical box to get the mount. The $10 digital download only gives you founder status.

Click 'PC Game' for the $19.99 boxed copy that gets you the bonus perks.

If someone HAS gotten the tawny pack bonus (2000g, fast mount, scrolls) with the $10 digital key, please correct me. But everything I've read while searching for this says it won't work.

• Locked thread