Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Lance Streetman posted:

When I write something in parentheses (like this) and it ends a sentence, does the period go in the parentheses (like this.) Or on the outside (like this)?
Definitely outside, I can't think of any grammatically appropriate case where the period is inside the brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Periods go outside the parentheses when the parenthetical is within a complete sentence. Periods go on the inside of the closed parenthesis when the parenthetical is used independently (e: and also a complete sentence).

Confusingly enough, this is the complete opposite of how it's supposed to happen with quotation marks. Which makes no sense at all.

So personally, I use the parenthetical rule for quotes too. It feels right to me, even if the Grammar Pope says it's not "correct".

(See what I did there? I deliberately did it "wrong". I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Powered Descent posted:

Confusingly enough, this is the complete opposite of how it's supposed to happen with quotation marks. Which makes no sense at all.

Well, in America. So far as I know, British English places punctuation outside the quotation marks.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

So personally, I use the parenthetical rule for quotes too. It feels right to me, even if the Grammar Pope says it's not "correct".

(See what I did there? I deliberately did it "wrong". I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.)

Even more oddly, this is only a convention in the UK and UK-educated areas of the world. In the US, the rules for quotation marks are the same as parentheticals, except you always put the period inside of the closing quote, regardless of the circumstances.

And they say British grammar convention follows "logic" rather than firm guidelines. :fsmug:

edit: Golbez! :argh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Golbez posted:

Well, in America. So far as I know, British English places punctuation outside the quotation marks.

So you're saying that the US has its own confusing little setup while the rest of the world uses a system based on logic and consistency?

Yeah, like THAT would ever happen. :fsmug:

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Tiggum posted:

What is this thing people have about their name and address? Anyone can get that right out of the phone book, it's not secret information.

I am unlisted. :D

...and I pay for the priviledge. :sigh:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Powered Descent posted:

So you're saying that the US has its own confusing little setup while the rest of the world uses a system based on logic and consistency?

Yeah, like THAT would ever happen. :fsmug:

Seriously. Why just this morning I walked the 1.7 kilometers to my doctor's office, where I was weighed in at 15 stones. That's a little overweight, so he prescribed me 83 cc of dietary supplement every fortnight. It's a good thing I have insurance, otherwise those 25,863 ha'pennies would have come out of my wallet.

EDIT:VVVV It's money. Someone ALWAYS cares.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'm a college senior in my last semester and I've been getting full tuition remission because my dad teaches at another school in our conference. Each semester I'm credited $20000 for tuition. This semester I'm taking a half-load and had the option to pay by credit, which would have saved me like $10000. My question is, do you think if I'd arranged pay-by-credit status that I could have pocketed the $10k without anybody caring?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'm a college senior in my last semester and I've been getting full tuition remission because my dad teaches at another school in our conference. Each semester I'm credited $20000 for tuition. This semester I'm taking a half-load and had the option to pay by credit, which would have saved me like $10000. My question is, do you think if I'd arranged pay-by-credit status that I could have pocketed the $10k without anybody caring?

No.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

User-Friendly posted:

Don't Yahoo Chatrooms still exist? I feel like I still see fearmongering over how dangerous they are occasionally.

Nope, they closed around Christmas. I actually miss getting AOL CDs in the mail and burning through free trials loving with people until I got banned. WHERE HAS MY INTERNET GONE?

But anyway, I have another question: how do I get existing pictures and video onto my iPhone camera roll, so I can use them with Instagram and Cinemagram, for instance? I see these types of images all the time but I can't figure out how people are doing it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I posted this in the resume thread, but this one gets more traffic so I'll try here too:

If you've volunteered for Habitat for Humanity (doing those one-day construction or restore jobs) how should that be formatted on a resume? What if you've done that on, say, 14 separate occasions? :confused: All you've gotta do is sign up and show up so it's not very "official".

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

M42 posted:

I posted this in the resume thread, but this one gets more traffic so I'll try here too:

If you've volunteered for Habitat for Humanity (doing those one-day construction or restore jobs) how should that be formatted on a resume? What if you've done that on, say, 14 separate occasions? :confused: All you've gotta do is sign up and show up so it's not very "official".

On my resume, I just list myself as a volunteer, then give a range of when I volunteered like an employment history (Spring 2010-Present, for example) and list in the description that I volunteered multiple times.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sieg posted:

You can opt out of being in the print and online version of the phone book.

Sure, but most people don't, and even if you do it's not like your address or phone number are really secret, they're still the basic contact information you give out to people and businesses all the time.

Golbez posted:

So far as I know, British English places punctuation outside the quotation marks.

Punctuation goes inside the quotation marks as long as it's part of the quotation, otherwise outside.

As some guy once said, "This is a complete sentence."
But this is just the word "sentence".

The American system is also consistent since punctuation directly following a quotation always goes inside the quotation marks, it's just consistent in a different way.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm having an issue with Firefox where a link that by default opens in a new tab, instead of going where it's supposed to, opens Google, even when Google isn't my home page. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

razorrozar posted:

I'm having an issue with Firefox where a link that by default opens in a new tab, instead of going where it's supposed to, opens Google, even when Google isn't my home page. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

Are you having any other weird behavior on your computer? New tabs get used when you ctrl-click, and sometimes Windows thinks ctrl or alt is being held down when it's not. If other weird poo poo is happening try hitting ctrl 5-6 times and see if that helps.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

stubblyhead posted:

Are you having any other weird behavior on your computer? New tabs get used when you ctrl-click, and sometimes Windows thinks ctrl or alt is being held down when it's not. If other weird poo poo is happening try hitting ctrl 5-6 times and see if that helps.

I'm not intentionally opening new tabs; the problem I have is that when I click a link that's coded to open in a new tab, or if I have Google search open results in a new tab when I click them, the new tab defaults to the Google home page about a third of the time. I should have worded that more carefully in my post, I apologize.

Re: weird behavior, I'm getting a lot of crashes on Firefox, more than I expect, and Chrome barely functions at all. When I use Chrome, after I close it, I have to click the icon three or four times to reopen it; it opens for an instant but closes before the window even comes up. Also, when I'm in Chrome and I open a fullscreen application, when I return to Chrome all the tabs I had open are blacked out, as are three-quarters of any new tabs I try to open, and they won't display anything no matter how much I reload them. I generally have to close and reopen Chrome to fix it, which as I said itself takes three or four tries.

Finally, I have some kind of program that's putting inline ads into all the websites I visit. I'm trying to get rid of it, but Microsoft Security Essentials came up clean and MalwareBytes didn't find anything either.

Is there a more appropriate place I can go with this? I don't think it's a "small" question anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you're having browser issues and having ads injected into random websites then you have a virus son.

Odd that Malwarebytes isn't finding anything though. Maybe try ComboFix?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I updated the MalwareBytes database and reran it, and it found three things. I brutally sacrificed these viruses to Dr. Mario and the inline ads, at least, are gone. I'll update on whether the other problems get fixed.

E: Nope, new tabs are still opening to Google. Now that I think about it that was happening before the inline ads showed up.

e2: And, on second glance, the inline ads aren't gone either, they're just gone from SA. What the gently caress.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 2, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Reinstall Windows.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Why don't we feel acceleration due to gravity? If I jump off a cliff into the ocean, I'm accelerating toward the water at 9.8ms^-2, but don't feel anything at all. If I get in a car and accelerate away at 9.8ms^-2, I'll really feel it.

Why are these scenarios different? Is it simply because gravity acts on every atom of us whereas a physical push like in a car requires the force to be transferred throughout our bodies? Could this idea be abused to allow us to accelerate at unfathomably high rates? Let's say I'm floating in a vacuum and a massive planet with the mass of a sun magically appears close by. I just start accelerating at 275ms^-2 without any issues, right?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Schweinhund posted:

Reinstall Windows.

If this is truly the only solution I will. I have a lot of stuff I don't want to get rid of, though. What's a good free cloud storage site, other than Dropbox, where I can put between fifty and a hundred gigs of pictures, music, saved games, etc?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's not the only solution, but would probably be easiest for you.

You won't lose your images etc from reinstalling windows. Worst you will have to do is reinstall some programs like Outlook if you use that. (well worse things could happen of course)

There's a tech support forum here if you don't want to reinstall windows yet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Next time install adblock and noscript and that will prevent most issues like what you're seeing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Schweinhund posted:

It's not the only solution, but would probably be easiest for you.

You won't lose your images etc from reinstalling windows. Worst you will have to do is reinstall some programs like Outlook if you use that. (well worse things could happen of course)

There's a tech support forum here if you don't want to reinstall windows yet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Next time install adblock and noscript and that will prevent most issues like what you're seeing.

I have Adblock. I thought, though, to reinstall an OS you had to format the hard drive?

I guess I'll head over to tech support. Thanks for the help.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Reinstalling pretty much just replaces all the system files for the OS with their original versions and settings

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Shakugan posted:

Why don't we feel acceleration due to gravity? If I jump off a cliff into the ocean, I'm accelerating toward the water at 9.8ms^-2, but don't feel anything at all. If I get in a car and accelerate away at 9.8ms^-2, I'll really feel it.

Why are these scenarios different? Is it simply because gravity acts on every atom of us whereas a physical push like in a car requires the force to be transferred throughout our bodies? Could this idea be abused to allow us to accelerate at unfathomably high rates? Let's say I'm floating in a vacuum and a massive planet with the mass of a sun magically appears close by. I just start accelerating at 275ms^-2 without any issues, right?

I'm pretty sure it's like you say, and that the issue is non-uniform acceleration throughout your body. You're squishy on the inside, and your organs have inertia - they want to stay right where they are. Well, not quite - they actually want to smoosh onto the ground, but you've got a semi-rigid structure to you that prevents that. When you fall and feel weightless, it's because, instead of your head pushing on your shoulders pushing on your back pushing on your legs... nothing is putting any particular force on anything else. When you accelerate in a car particularly quickly, it can feel as if you're tilting back, kind of like you're laying on your back. This is because different parts of you than you're used to are now supporting the weight of being you, preventing your insides from smooshing against the back of your seat.

With your space example, you wouldn't feel anything. If every bit of you accelerates at the same rate, nothing pushes against anything else, and you feel weightless (until you splat against the ground).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shakugan posted:

When you're standing still on the ground is when you feel the acceleration, paradoxically enough -- you feel the floor pressing against you. In fact, it would feel exactly the same if you were standing inside a rocket that was accelerating through space at 9.8 m/s2. If there were no windows, you couldn't tell whether you were accelerating through space or standing on the ground.

When you jump off a cliff*, you're weightless, just like the astronauts in the space station, and for exactly the same reason: you're both in free fall, every atom of your bodies just following gravity with no external forces shoving them around. The astronauts are just on a trajectory that doesn't hit the ground, so they get to experience it for longer.

Figuring all this out was one of Einstein's great big realizations. If you're intrigued, there's a physics thread that I'm sure can take you as deep as you like into this particular relativistic rabbit hole.

* I'm ignoring the effect of air resistance here, for simplicity's sake.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read somewhere that Saudi Arabia employs ex-convicts to serve a "morality cops", to patrol the streets and accost anyone behaving in an overtly un-Islamic way (women not wearing proper attire and such). Is this true?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I have more commonly heard it called religious police and I'm pretty sure it's not just ex-convicts.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
Is there anywhere on the forums where I could potentially hire someone to spruce up a website for me? I have a professional portfolio that's hosted online, but it is quite bland currently. I need this site to look polished and professional, and I'd be willing to part with some cash to do so.

I'm using Joomla 2.5.8 as a CMS, but I'd be open to change.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

lotor9530 posted:

Is there anywhere on the forums where I could potentially hire someone to spruce up a website for me? I have a professional portfolio that's hosted online, but it is quite bland currently. I need this site to look polished and professional, and I'd be willing to part with some cash to do so.

I'm using Joomla 2.5.8 as a CMS, but I'd be open to change.

There's a Hire me/Hiring someone thread in CC you can have a looksy at, or try SA mart. I think you might have better luck in CC though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How do passwords get stolen from a user?

There's brute force, keystroke logging, in-person snooping/guessing, and...?

What happens over unsecured wi-fi? This is also a risk, right?

What about 3G? I've got a lot of apps on my phone where I need to enter my password to make a purchase with a CC that's linked to the app. Is this vulnerable too?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

greazeball posted:

There's brute force, keystroke logging, in-person snooping/guessing, and...?

What happens over unsecured wi-fi? This is also a risk, right?

What about 3G? I've got a lot of apps on my phone where I need to enter my password to make a purchase with a CC that's linked to the app. Is this vulnerable too?

Security exploits in the system being used is one of the most common these days. Generally you'll be fine on 3G since mobile OSes take their credit card stuff pretty seriously, the only real issue would be some sort of malware running on the phone, which is highly unlikely.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

greazeball posted:

People use the same password for everything, get log in info for one and you get them all.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone know what surgical drapes are made out of? Like, is it a synthetic or natural fiber typically?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Posted this in the accessory thread in YLLS, but it's not very active anymore:

Going to buy my first pair of expensive, quality sunglasses and I've settled on Serengetis. The only thing is I'll be ordering online and know nothing about sunglasses/glasses sizing and I am pretty small. Is there any reason to worry about them literally not fitting? I'm a bit nervous about ordering a $150 pair of sunglasses and then not being able to wear them because they don't fit. Is sizing basically post your face and then guess at what will fit?

Also, is there going to be a functional difference between the grey lenses and the brown/orange ones? Apparently they've got some sort of "Driver" lens on their brown one that is amazing for driving.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone know what surgical drapes are made out of? Like, is it a synthetic or natural fiber typically?
Synthetic. Usually some kind of multi-layer composite that incorporates a liquid-impermeable core.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Synthetic. Usually some kind of multi-layer composite that incorporates a liquid-impermeable core.

Ugh, really?! Even if they're autoclaved regularly?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I've got a UPS package that was supposed to be delivered on Thursday. Apparently, the delivery person couldn't get into my apartment, because I've gotten two "Tried and Failed" sticky notes. It looks like UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday - does this mean that the package is sitting in a warehouse somewhere that I could go and pick it up today or tomorrow? I kind of don't want to have to stay home from work on Monday, waiting for a delivery that looks like it won't be coming until 2:30 PM.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Gravity Pike posted:

I've got a UPS package that was supposed to be delivered on Thursday. Apparently, the delivery person couldn't get into my apartment, because I've gotten two "Tried and Failed" sticky notes. It looks like UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday - does this mean that the package is sitting in a warehouse somewhere that I could go and pick it up today or tomorrow? I kind of don't want to have to stay home from work on Monday, waiting for a delivery that looks like it won't be coming until 2:30 PM.

You can call and give them the tracking number and they can tell you that. Or they can have it sent to a UPS Store where you can pick it up at your convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Going to buy my first pair of expensive, quality sunglasses and I've settled on Serengetis. The only thing is I'll be ordering online and know nothing about sunglasses/glasses sizing and I am pretty small. Is there any reason to worry about them literally not fitting?

If I've learned anything about sunglasses, it's they'll look really stupid on you unless you actually try them on first pretty much every single time. Is there anywhere you can go to try them out?

quote:

Also, is there going to be a functional difference between the grey lenses and the brown/orange ones? Apparently they've got some sort of "Driver" lens on their brown one that is amazing for driving.

It's a combination of polarization, glare protection, and generally some sort of photochromics that cause the lens to shift color in response to changing light conditions. They're great for driving, but they can sometimes look pretty 70's-ish fashion wise.