Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

Disco Godfather posted:

Where do you people live? I only had one conservative Facebook "friend" (mom's cousin's husband or something), but he unfriended me because I kept making fun of him.

Massachusetts. :shepface:

To be fair, the worst offenders on my feed are from out of state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

clockwork sundial posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while now and haven't seen this mentioned:

This is an appealing idea because it makes an awful lot of sense at first. I don't really know enough about the NRA and gun lobby to know if this point of view holds up to scrutiny.

I can't comment on that per se, but I do know that the NRA has been more than just a hapless mook jumping on grenades for the gun manufacturers. Smith & Wesson, after some talks with the Clinton administration in the late 90s, agreed to retool their manufacturing in order to make weapons with more safety features, smaller magazine capacities, etc. The NRA caught wind of it and organized a boycott that annihilated forty percent of their sales. Leading them to a media-assisted suicide hasty sale in 2001.

Yeah.

Fake Edit: http://www.businessinsider.com/smith-and-wesson-almost-went-out-of-business-trying-to-do-the-right-thing-2013-1 Has the story, but I can't find the original Mother Jones article about it.

Real Edit: Durr I spel gud.

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 2, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

clockwork sundial posted:

This has been on my mind for some time: "[Glenn Beck] has said that he identifies with Howard Beale, a character portrayed by Peter Finch in the filmNetwork."

Either that's a cry for help or he totally missed the point of Beale in Network. Getting mad at nothing in particular doesn't solve anything and is a distraction from real issues. Beale was also a corporate stooge, betrayed by his employer. I definitely think Beck missed the point but it's fun to think about how his schtick might all be an act and this is a clue, a nod and a wink to knowing viewers.

Or Beck really enjoys being a demagogue distraction for morons. He's a morning zoo shock jock to me, who is as bombastic as possible to get attention and money for all his hare-brained stunts. If you look at everything he does through the lens of a morning zoo promotional stunt, his behavior starts to make a lot more sense - and come off a lot more boring and mediocre too.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Its hard to believe guys like Beck are true scam artists if only because, at some point, you'd think one of them would finally break down and admit it, or at least slip up in an obvious way. When they do slip up its in a lying for Jesus sort of way. They've conditioned themselves to reject objective truth because the alternative is to admit they've been utterly wrong about everything and by extension have wronged millions of their listeners. You don't have to be a conman to be a hypocrite.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Whether or not scam artists really believe their schtick is irrelevant, what matters is that their main purpose in life is to fleece scared people out of their money while, in this case, simultaneously poisoning political discourse.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Beck admitted in an interview that he doesn't know how people believe the stuff he says or something to that effect, I'm sure someone has the link handy but I don't.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Death Himself posted:

Beck admitted in an interview that he doesn't know how people believe the stuff he says or something to that effect, I'm sure someone has the link handy but I don't.

Of course, so he doesn't go all Alex Jones and start looking like a crazy man in an uncontrolled environment. I'm sure he'd go right back on his program and tell them he was just pulling wool over the interviewer's eyes, Colbert style.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I just watched an Alex Jones vid after viewing the "Alex Jones is Bill Hicks!" theory page.

Specifically, I watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkAjKk_4f8&t=218s

:pwn:

I am so, so sorry for you in America. I am sorry for ya'll, as I have never been at any time in my life, and I have family there.

Seriously, you guys need to bring back the Fairness Doctrine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cue the inevitable barrage of jokes about an armed black man.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

watt par posted:

Watch out NRA, Obama's coming to take away his own gun!

...actually, I'm pretty sure they'll probably treat it like the Onion article where Obama was talking about "gubmint ain't gonna take away my guns." "It's just as fake as his birth certificate! :freep:"

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 2, 2013

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Mister Macys posted:

I just watched an Alex Jones vid after viewing the "Alex Jones is Bill Hicks!" theory page.

Specifically, I watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkAjKk_4f8&t=218s

:pwn:

I am so, so sorry for you in America. I am sorry for ya'll, as I have never been at any time in my life, and I have family there.

Seriously, you guys need to bring back the Fairness Doctrine.

Someone put this video on dual youtube with moody war music and it makes it even more intense

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jacobin posted:

Someone put this video on dual youtube with moody war music and it makes it even more intense

Personally, I prefer this Alex Jones dual Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgAXZHMi_ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR2UXmTGK4M

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jacobin posted:

It's an old classic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Alex and the talking goat! The first time I saw that I spent a solid five minutes watching it, laughing like hell.

:allears:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing, and in spite of his abhorrent policies, I feel compelled to say, "God drat we have a President who looks awesome with a shotgun."

That's a loving cool picture.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer

Jacobin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRD9qCJtM8

This is the best one.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

watt par posted:

So, gun people, is Obama doing anything "wrong" here?

As a non-gun person myself, I picture non-gun person Republicans smugly pointing out that he can't be skeet shooting because he isn't aiming up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

As a non-gun person myself, I picture non-gun person Republicans smugly pointing out that he can't be skeet shooting because he isn't aiming up.

He's just really, really quick.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

watt par posted:

I can only imagine that this actually is the sole reason the picture was never released if it is in fact from last August. People said Obama had to worry about not looking like an angry black man, let alone an armed black man.

Forget about firearms though, let's talk about the real guns in that picture :swoon:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dr Christmas posted:

There's already articles like this up all over the place
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/30/obama-keet-shooting-all-time-hardly-sources-say/

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
If I was in Obama's place I would be sorely tempted to start making things up just to see what Fox News does with it.

Obama 'devours raw meat all the time'? Hardly ever, sources say. | Fox News

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The firearms industry has to be having an erection over this nonsense.

"See, the president actually uses guns too." *posts free advertising image*

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I probably wouldn't rest my cheek on the stock like that, and his right hand is maybe a bit far forward, but none of that is really a big deal. I don't think anyone expects Obama to be an experienced shooter, nor is that what the WH is trying to show, so you know, people flipping out over nothing as always.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

I've only shot skeet a couple times but it looks like he's either shooting them as they come out of the launcher just to gently caress around or holding it in the basic standing position for a rifle or shotgun.

So basically either he's a guy who just likes to dick around with a gun in the most safe and sport based method possible or he has enough understanding of it to know the basic positions to be in, hardly ground breaking either way but I'm sure there's some right winger who will try to make this the newest -gate.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Glitterbomber posted:

I've only shot skeet a couple times but it looks like he's either shooting them as they come out of the launcher just to gently caress around or holding it in the basic standing position for a rifle or shotgun.

So basically either he's a guy who just likes to dick around with a gun in the most safe and sport based method possible or he has enough understanding of it to know the basic positions to be in, hardly ground breaking either way but I'm sure there's some right winger who will try to make this the newest -gate.

It's already been dubbed Skeetgate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYH7_GzP4Tg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

It's already been dubbed Skeetgate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYH7_GzP4Tg

I can only pray we wind up in a 'teabag' situation when some right wingers start talking about Obama 'skeeting' wrong or whatever and give us a few laughs.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

I can only pray we wind up in a 'teabag' situation when some right wingers start talking about Obama 'skeeting' wrong or whatever and give us a few laughs.

The probability of this happening is swiftly approaching 100%.

"You know what's so dope about 'skeet'? White people don't know what it means yet."

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
I've been catching up on some stuff, and to be honest the commercials I hear on the Alex Jones Show are like a seeping sludge of paranoia getting into my head. I can see why people like my mum live in constant fear- this is just a more overt version of general advertising. And all crazy aside, Jone's view is rooted in genuine grievances, broadly speaking; he's just wrong about where to put the anger. And also, he's insane or an amazing performer with superhuman stamina. EDIT: The notion that the common man is essentially powerless, subjugated by forces beyond his control, is indeed quite accurate. From that feeling come the conspiracies, even if no conspiracy is required to understand the situation.

Also, he keeps using music I like on his show and that angers me.

I have also been listening to the Young Turks, and I'm not sure how to feel about Cenk Uygur. I tend to agree with him on many issues, but his shouting "Of course!!" and general tone make me feel like he's rather unlikable. Plus he has been a bit of a dick to the female co-host on several occasions, good thing she called him on it.

Sick_Boy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 3, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sick_Boy posted:

I have also been listening to the Young Turks, and I'm not sure how to feel about Cenk Uygur. I tend to agree with him on many issues, but his shouting "Of course!!" and general tone make me feel like he's rather unlikable. Plus he has been a bit of a dick to the female co-host on several occasions, good thing she called him on it.

He's got all the smarm and self-righteousness of a college republican.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Republicans posted:

Somebody make a Smugyur smiley.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Dr Christmas posted:

It's a very nice break action shotgun, which is considered the 'most proper' kind of shotgun for skeet, and god, with the porting and engraving, it's not cheap. More expensive than anything I see on a daily basis, far more so than the Berettas my parents have. Remember when Jon Stewart mocked Biden for referring to a Beretta shotgun? Yeah, no, that's what they make. Probably where Obama picked up the sport, if you ask me: trying to bond with Biden. Probably somewhere in the eight grand range, given that ring at the end of the barrel and certain other indications of quality.

He has an _excellent_ cheek weld. His right hand is a little far forward, but it's acceptable. I can't see his legs, but it looks like the proper stance. Skeet and Trap are really a lot of fun, it's like playing home run derby with shotguns.

Skeet tends to be one high and one low: the difference between Skeet and Trap is that skeet is two at a time, while trap is one at a time. But skeet is thrown in entirely predictable patterns: a blind person can shoot skeet. Trap is thrown in unpredictable patterns.

The interesting thing is that he's shooting low, and from the first barrel. So, he's either not shooting a game of skeet, or he's shooting at station six or seven, which is the only time you'd shoot low first. From the arc of the cleared area, he _is_ towards the right of the field, which could place him at station 6 or 7, so it could be legit and simply the most photogenic situation.

That's the best I can give you.
Or he could just be legit shooting singles out of the low house for fun.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 3, 2013

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

He has an _excellent_ cheek weld.

Well, I learned something today. Obama is doing something righter than I have been. Which makes a lot of sense now I think about it because he's gonna have people around him giving him pretty good instruction on that sort of thing.

And yeah, that's a nice shotgun. Saw a thread somewhere where they were giving him poo poo because its a Japanese-made Browning instead of a proper American shotgun like a Mossberg (that has parts made in Mexico).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
HA! His gun is made by the same people who made my gun, then! No wonder the engraving looked oddly familiar. Hard to tell at that resolution. Mine's just a lot older and if I hit something... it's a Miroku.

Hm. There is one more thing. That gold ring? I'm pretty sure that's the choke. He's only got one in. So he is shooting singles. Probably. I mean, you could shoot one barrel unchoked, but that'd be a bit odd. (My Miroku does not have an adjustable choke, so I forgot about that at first glance.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 3, 2013

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Mine's just a lot older and if I hit something... it's a Miroku.

:downsrim:

You know, I bet he could go someplace really posh like Holland & Holland and get them to make a sweet custom for free. And that's why I'd make a terrible president.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Republicans posted:

I've talked to him in writing before about a fairly ugly piece they did on his tv show and yeah, he doesn't think he can be wrong about anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Warcabbit posted:

Or he could just be legit shooting singles out of the low house for fun.

Man, my friend who shoots skeet and trap as a hobby thinks it's the most fun thing in the world to see how fast he can blast the target as it's leaving the box. I personally don't get it but apparently in the skeet/trap world it's A Thing so yea he could just be loving around with his fancy gun because why the hell not.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

az posted:

I've talked to him in writing before about a fairly ugly piece they did on his tv show and yeah, he doesn't think he can be wrong about anything.

Didn't he made a big deal about how he was fired for being TOO REAL for MSNBC?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Sick_Boy posted:

Didn't he made a big deal about how he was fired for being TOO REAL for MSNBC?

Yeah. Upper management apparantly told him to tone it down because democrats on the hill were getting pissy about him coming after them and he didn't listen to them. While his numbers kept coming up very respectably and beating Fox, management shortly after asked him to take a pay raise and a bullshit off camera position, aka trying to get him off the air. He said no, which is respectable, and went back to TYT. Of course in the aftermath he was pretty smug about it but in this case I don't know that wasn't justified.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Republicans posted:

I'm able to put up with him because after he got called on being a dick several times to his female co-anchor, he apologized to her during the program and changed his behavior. That and even if I don't agree with him, he often has some other people on that offer alternative points of view, and encourages them to speak up. I've also seen him change his mind on various topics over time.

Some of his rants and his 'of courrrrse' get a little annoying, but there's a lot of thought and care that he and the others responsible for his show put into what they're doing - so I'm able to forgive the surface foibles. For an editorial show, they're a great deal better than pretty much anything on US cable TV.

More importantly, they actually listen to their audience.

az posted:

Yeah. Upper management apparantly told him to tone it down because democrats on the hill were getting pissy about him coming after them and he didn't listen to them. While his numbers kept coming up very respectably and beating Fox, management shortly after asked him to take a pay raise and a bullshit off camera position, aka trying to get him off the air. He said no, which is respectable, and went back to TYT. Of course in the aftermath he was pretty smug about it but in this case I don't know that wasn't justified.

He's not kidding about the fact that if you want to play the cable news game, you have kiss the toes of various groups - and also can't bite the hand that feeds you. His youtube show offers a level of freedom for journalism and editorial comment that you really can't get on cable news at all. Shows like TYT represent the future of news and editorial programming - on youtube, and generally not be beholden to corporate or political interests.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Republicans posted:

Because he was one.