Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

North of Gravity posted:

Here's a bit of an update -- I went to the local animal rescue today, and they let me play with a few of the cats to see how I'd react. I was in the cat room for about 20 minutes and still haven't started sneezing. I guess it's been a while since I've been around cats, but I'm pretty astonished that I didn't have a reaction.

At one point I knelt down on the floor, and this tabby climbed into my lap and just wanted to be petted and loved on the whole time I was there. I think I'm in love. :3: The lady at the shelter said that he was a stray, so they didn't know how old he was, but he's clearly an adult and has been vaccinated and neutered.

I'm going to talk it over with my boyfriend tonight, but the rough plan is to go get cat supplies tomorrow morning and then visit the shelter in the afternoon. His main worry is whether the cat will ruin the furniture -- we have a big leather couch that he doesn't want damaged. We're probably going to end up having to buy a cover for it or get rid of it entirely. Do any of you have words of wisdom for keeping your furniture intact?

If we do end up going through with this, I'll be sure to post pictures!
Congratulations on your possible new buddy :3: There are some options outlined in the OP but I'm going to repost some info for you.

First off, make sure you have things for him to scratch on. Vertical space is important. Amarakat makes great and varied cat trees. As for your couch, try these: http://www.softpaws.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
We got a new kitten from the SPCA/Macy's window during the holidays. He is pushing 6 months old and it's been fantastic. He has some small issues like bitting a lot. Getting in places he is not allowed.

But aside from those issues things its been great. My fiancé and I have been loving him so much.

To the point that we are seriously considering going to the SPCA this weekend and getting another kitten of the same age. Part of the reason view this is we are afraid of him getting lonely when we are at work. As it is right now once we get home from work he seems soooo grateful we came back and just wants to be showered with attention, which we have no problem giving him. We just don't want him to ever be bored or lonely.

Our concerns, we live in a small 1 bedroom apartment. We put his litter box in the bathroom which is a small bathroom. It works just fine but it would be impossible to fit another litter box in there. Is that something to worry about? Do more cats equal more litter boxes?

We are also really worried about them not getting along. Is that a concern?

Basically we just want to make sure we are making a bad decision.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kitty loving reeks. I cannot change the litter box without feeling like I burned a few layers off of my lungs. Are there things I can do to make the poo poo stink less or is it just the adjustment period? Litterbox air freshener, maybe?

PrettyhateM posted:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PrettyhateM posted:

This sounds OK? Shouldn't you have more than one cat, so they can befriend each other?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks. Would chasing my cat around for an hour or so a day to make sure she exercises prove useful at all?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PrettyhateM posted:

We got a new kitten from the SPCA/Macy's window during the holidays. He is pushing 6 months old and it's been fantastic. He has some small issues like bitting a lot. Getting in places he is not allowed.

But aside from those issues things its been great. My fiancé and I have been loving him so much.

To the point that we are seriously considering going to the SPCA this weekend and getting another kitten of the same age. Part of the reason view this is we are afraid of him getting lonely when we are at work. As it is right now once we get home from work he seems soooo grateful we came back and just wants to be showered with attention, which we have no problem giving him. We just don't want him to ever be bored or lonely.

Our concerns, we live in a small 1 bedroom apartment. We put his litter box in the bathroom which is a small bathroom. It works just fine but it would be impossible to fit another litter box in there. Is that something to worry about? Do more cats equal more litter boxes?

We are also really worried about them not getting along. Is that a concern?

Some cats do ok sharing a litter box, some don't. I find girl cats mind less than boys, altered cats mind less than unaltered (by a lot)

Your cats will be happier as a pair than alone, even in a small space. I recommend making sure they have plenty of vertical space to move if you're in a small apartment. Invest in a cat tree, set up areas on top of cabinets/shelves that are cat friendly. That way they have plenty of room to move/have their own independent areas while coexisting in a tiny apartment.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Pollyanna posted:

Kitty loving reeks. I cannot change the litter box without feeling like I burned a few layers off of my lungs. Are there things I can do to make the poo poo stink less or is it just the adjustment period? Litterbox air freshener, maybe?

Adjustment period. And cat's stink in that department until they are like a year old. Our oldest (1.5'ish years old) finally doesn't really make smells, but the young one (maybe 8 months old, around there anyways) could get a job in a bodyshop stripping paint from cars with the scent of her shits. And if you have changed the diet, that affects it as well. Just give it time, eventually your nose quits working :P

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm going to get on my soap-box a bit here guys, so I apologize in advance. I also know I've said this before, but being that I have a cat who, before I adopted her, was depressed to the point where her entire personality had changed and she was so miserable that she was eating herself into an early grave, and it was all from having to live with other cats when her personality dictated that she really should be an only cat... well... Part of me just dies a little inside every time I hear "yeah get another cat" as a blanket response to tons of questions. Including "should I get another cat?"

And again it's not that it's a BAD idea to get another cat, often it's a great idea. But, I cannot stress this enough, look at the personality of your cat! Judge based on that, based on whether your cat seems like the sort who is already happy on his own, or the sort that needs a cat companion. And do NOT feel pressured into getting two cats based on this thread, or this thread title - some people just can't afford two cats. You are NOT doing your cat a disservice or somehow mistreating the cat by letting it be an only cat, either.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Siochain posted:

Adjustment period. And cat's stink in that department until they are like a year old. Our oldest (1.5'ish years old) finally doesn't really make smells, but the young one (maybe 8 months old, around there anyways) could get a job in a bodyshop stripping paint from cars with the scent of her shits. And if you have changed the diet, that affects it as well. Just give it time, eventually your nose quits working :P

I can attest that cats are miraculous little creatures. At only 6 months old, Refurb is capable of converting kitten food into agent orange.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I recommend Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Classic or Premium(for multi-cat households) which are $10 or $12 for 40lb bags. After a litter change or just a daily scoop, I sprinkle a light layer of Arm & Hammer Multicat Deoderizer which can be bought for about $5 to $10. I have some Fe-breeze Air Deodorizer and jars of deoderizer gel caplets as well as air purifier strategically placed around collections of litter boxes.

I recommend a closed litterbox such as the Catit Jumbo Hooded Litter Pan or the smaller version if you can't afford the space or don't plan on getting more than one cat. If you have Amazon Prime you can get it cheaper than at a pet store. I have two and I was able to nab them both after price watching for a while at $20 each. If you do get them then order extra filters. Also, you'll need to cover the filter with a preforated taped down paper plate so kitty doesn't chew and paw at the filter and rip it off. I also have a Booda Hooded Dome Cleanstep pan and the filter is protected in there.

Also, feeding them better quality wet and dry food(higher protein less garbage) can help.

All in all, it is still going to stink from time to time, but you should be able to maintain.

Source: Self experience after with six cats.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Thanks. Would chasing my cat around for an hour or so a day to make sure she exercises prove useful at all?

It wouldn't hurt, and exercise is always good for keeping up muscle mass. However, if she instead gives you the :catstare: then don't worry about it too much. Again, she may compensate for the exercise time by sleeping even more.

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Also, feeding them better quality wet and dry food(higher protein less garbage) can help.

It's really just finding a food that they tolerate well. In some cases higher protein helps, in some cases higher fiber, in other cases different kinds/cuts of protein.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

kaworu posted:

I'm going to get on my soap-box a bit here guys, so I apologize in advance. I also know I've said this before, but being that I have a cat who, before I adopted her, was depressed to the point where her entire personality had changed and she was so miserable that she was eating herself into an early grave, and it was all from having to live with other cats when her personality dictated that she really should be an only cat... well... Part of me just dies a little inside every time I hear "yeah get another cat" as a blanket response to tons of questions. Including "should I get another cat?"

And again it's not that it's a BAD idea to get another cat, often it's a great idea. But, I cannot stress this enough, look at the personality of your cat! Judge based on that, based on whether your cat seems like the sort who is already happy on his own, or the sort that needs a cat companion. And do NOT feel pressured into getting two cats based on this thread, or this thread title - some people just can't afford two cats. You are NOT doing your cat a disservice or somehow mistreating the cat by letting it be an only cat, either.

I don't know enough about your cat's situation to understand why they were like that, but cats are pretty social animals and a six month old kitten that is bitey, has tons of energy, and has to be alone most of the day is definitely a candidate for a housemate. Also, it doesn't cost appreciably more to feed a second cat. [seriously even free-fed cats don't eat a whole lot] I understand and agree with what you're saying, but I don't think this is a case where we need to worry about a cat being burdened by a housemate.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Mirthless posted:

I don't know enough about your cat's situation to understand why they were like that, but cats are pretty social animals and a six month old kitten that is bitey, has tons of energy, and has to be alone most of the day is definitely a candidate for a housemate. Also, it doesn't cost appreciably more to feed a second cat. [seriously even free-fed cats don't eat a whole lot] I understand and agree with what you're saying, but I don't think this is a case where we need to worry about a cat being burdened by a housemate.

Plus, one of the best ways to ensure that your cat will be one of those anti-social types that hates other cats is to raise the cat by itself with no socialization with other cats or dogs or people. It's not to say that every cat that grows up with other cats around will turn out to be friendly and well socialized, but the lack of another cat around almost ensures that the cat will not accept other cats once he/she matures. And usually those cats aren't exactly well socialized to other people or dogs either, so it makes it harder to adjust to any new situation and causes a lot more stress in the long run, IMO.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Mirthless posted:

This is our thinking. Honestly its a concern that it might upset the great dynamic we have, but I think I will take the chance to make him happy while we are not around. Cost isnt really a concern for us on this, but for some reason the litter thing is the only point I worry about. I kinda don't want a second litter box hanging out in the apartment. That might seem trivial but for some reason it is really sticking with me.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
And even if it makes you feel like a shitheel, shelters have a return policy for a reason. But cats aren't the anti-social loners they're made out to be. Even the ferals in my parking lot go frequently in pairs.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Huntersoninski posted:

And even if it makes you feel like a shitheel, shelters have a return policy for a reason. But cats aren't the anti-social loners they're made out to be. Even the ferals in my parking lot go frequently in pairs.

If it turns out that its not going to work out I dont think I could ever return to a shelter.... Thats sorta why I want to make sure its the right decision.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I was told Holly doesn't do well with other cats, but I never saw it in action. I just don't want her to be depressed and lonely, but I dunno what to do about it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PrettyhateM posted:

If it turns out that its not going to work out I dont think I could ever return to a shelter.... Thats sorta why I want to make sure its the right decision.

For what it's worth, out of the four cats I've had, 4/4 did better with other cats around, including one that had 0 cat socialization and almost 0 animal/human socialization other than me for the first four years of her life. At six months your cat will adapt fast if not immediately. There will probably be a lot of hissing and posturing the first couple of days (it's actually kind of alarming if you're not used to it, but it's perfectly normal) but as kittens cats are much more interested in play than they are in territorial boundaries.

Once cats get entrenched in their own social circle they're much less willing to allow new cats in, so if you are going to introduce a cat you really should do it at this stage. If you're worried about it messing up your personal interactions with your cat, it probably won't, the OP isn't kidding when it says that cats will compete for your affection. If anything, you'll have cats for two laps.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Eh, my two cats are littermates, raised together, and they still don't like each other. They may be the exception, but I agree that "get another cat" isn't a one-size fits all solution to cat problems.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, what I was trying to stress is that *every* situation is unique and every cat is pretty much unique in one way or another, and there is absolutely no one-size-fits-all solution. I think in this particular person's case getting a companion for their six-month-old kitten is a wonderful thing to try. I think that if someone has the means and the space, it's a *wonderful* and almost essential idea in general to adopt two kittens (and I say kittens, not cats) from the beginning, for a ton of reasons that will improve the quality of life for everyone involved.

But cats really are a different story, and I was trying to stress the importance of paying attention to the personality and individual needs of any given cat. I also don't think you can point to basic cause-and-effect reasons to explain why certain cats are suited to living with other animals, while certain cats are not. Cats are, well, cats! They're unpredictable in ridiculous and absurd ways.

My cat Jackie grew up with other cats and another dog, and apropos of what Mirthless was saying (and to answer her question) she was fine with those particular animals that she grew up with - she really adored them, actually. But one of the two cats died, and after that the remaining cats never got along again. They got more kittens, but that just made things worse for Jackie, who was 3 or 4 years old by then, not particularly adaptable, and ended up despising not only the new kittens but the humans she used to like, too. She also became aggressive and ultra-defensive about her food, since all the cats were free-feeding on dry food from the same dishes and Jackie didn't trust anyone, I think she constantly ate as much as possible out fear that others would eat it first, causing her to get really fat. And then, as the story goes, I adopted her to live as an only-pet in a small apartment and she immediately stopped being aggressive and growling and hissing (in fact she has not growled or hissed once in two years now) and became much more relaxed. She is also down to an *amazing* 12 pounds now from the 18+ pounds she weighed when I got her, which according to her vet is actually in the ideal range for a cat her size.

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010
So I have one cat currently: Flash, female, spayed, ~5.

I want to get another cat (she is very lonely, and sadly the kitty I adopted to be her buddy last year passed away because of cancer last month and she has been SO needy since, and yowls in the middle of the night, "where are youuu?"), but I've also been considering getting 2 kittens/teens. Does anyone have any experience with this? Bringing in two cats? Is this a bad idea?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

kaworu posted:

But cats really are a different story, and I was trying to stress the importance of paying attention to the personality and individual needs of any given cat. I also don't think you can point to basic cause-and-effect reasons to explain why certain cats are suited to living with other animals, while certain cats are not. Cats are, well, cats! They're unpredictable in ridiculous and absurd ways.

As with any animal or person ever, there is a certain amount of inherent individual difference, yes, but the fact remains that early socialization and introduction to a variety of different situations does have an impact on later interactions for the cat. I have three cats who have very different "personalities" yet all are pretty adaptable and confident with new people, new animals and new situations. Part of this was unintentional - I lived with roommates with different types of animals and who had a lot of different people over all the time while my cats were all still pretty young (2-4 for the older two, 4 months-2 for the younger one), but part was intentional - the youngest cat was quite a high-strung and antisocial kitten, and with a bit more effort put into him (taking him out on lead, introducing him to the clicker and opening him up to operant conditioning, etc), he is the best one of all three. He still has the initial !! response to a loud noise or new place that you'd expect from a cat with his "personality" but he has learned to adapt quickly and settles in easily to pretty much any situation. A couple weeks ago he came to class with me and split time between occupying various laps and occupying the chair next to me, just laying there and looking around. So I think it does cats a disservice to treat them in such a deterministic manner.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

PrettyhateM posted:

Trust me, if the shelter is worth its salt it'll much rather you bring the cat back to be adopted to another family than keep it in a place where it might not be completely happy with its housemates. When I went to pick Pete up I met a permanent shelter cat who had run of the office. A charming guy with terrible food allergies - the only thing he could eat was one specific, costly brand. She told me about a number of families who took him, but had to bring him back as the food was just more of a cost issue than they'd hoped it would be. She didn't sound mad or judgmental...she was pretty disgusted, however, when she mentioned his last home - too ashamed to admit they couldn't afford him, so they dumped him when they moved. Fortunately that shelter microchips and got him back. That's when they decided to keep him as the office pet.

Obviously you aren't going to dump your pet, but a good shelter understands when the fit's not right and will take back the pet.

I really, really, really doubt that will be an issue for you though! A cat that young will adapt quickly. poo poo, it took about .5 seconds for 6-month-old pete to decide he didn't mind Ozma.

...Took ozma about two weeks though, haha

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I was told Holly doesn't do well with other cats, but I never saw it in action. I just don't want her to be depressed and lonely, but I dunno what to do about it.

If she seems happy and well adjusted, I wouldn't fret. Obviously right now is a transition period, but in the next few months she should settle down. :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't think she's unhappy, but I worry about it nonetheless. I worry about her a lot actually :ohdear:

That said, she has a bit of an issue with biting. She sat down on the bed to clean herself and there was a drop of "water" where her butt was, so I poked at it with my big toe to point it out to her/shame her. Then she bit my foot :( Not like, bit bit but like play(?)fight bit. She gets bitey/clawy occasionally (I put out my hand in front of her face as a peace offering and she did the same :goleft:). Is this unusual for cats or is she just in a bitey mood?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Gentle bites can be a sign of affection. My childhood cat Chessi would very gently scrape her teeth on my ankle to say "thanks" when I let her out of a room, or played a game with her, or warmed up a blanket for her.

Or she might be saying, don't poke me w/ your foot. Or she might just be playing! Depends on her attitude, I guess. You'll figure her out, and she'll figure your out! I understand about worrying though. I worried myself sick with Ozma for weeks after I got her.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pollyanna posted:

I don't think she's unhappy, but I worry about it nonetheless. I worry about her a lot actually :ohdear:

That said, she has a bit of an issue with biting. She sat down on the bed to clean herself and there was a drop of "water" where her butt was, so I poked at it with my big toe to point it out to her/shame her. Then she bit my foot :( Not like, bit bit but like play(?)fight bit. She gets bitey/clawy occasionally (I put out my hand in front of her face as a peace offering and she did the same :goleft:). Is this unusual for cats or is she just in a bitey mood?

Torties :sun:

To discourage it, yelp when she bites you. As for being alone, if the shelter said she's an only-cat kinda cat, she's fine. Bear in mind that they sleep 18 hours a day. Most of the time you're gone, she's asleep or looking out a window, maybe sniffing some stuff, peeing a bit. You know, just hangin'. They save that 6 hours a day of awaketime for snuggles, playing with you, and making lots of noise in the middle of the night.

BothSides posted:

So I have one cat currently: Flash, female, spayed, ~5.

I want to get another cat (she is very lonely, and sadly the kitty I adopted to be her buddy last year passed away because of cancer last month and she has been SO needy since, and yowls in the middle of the night, "where are youuu?"), but I've also been considering getting 2 kittens/teens. Does anyone have any experience with this? Bringing in two cats? Is this a bad idea?

Kittens are a pain in the rear end but if you're going to introduce new animals, baby ones is best, and if there are two of them at least they can hang out with each other if Flash doesn't take to them. That said, kittens are a pain in the rear end oh look I said that already. The difference between one cat and two cats is not very big. The difference between two and three suddenly feels like 'poo poo, cats everywhere.' If you can find a pair of older kittens who know each other already, that would probably be best. Another route is just to get an adult who's known to be super chill and loves other cats. Since you already know Flash isn't an only-cat type, I'd really urge you to do this for sanity's sake. That is my opinion, however. I grew up with 5 cats as a kid and it was fine, but they were indoor-outdoor and when I was fostering I had 3 kittens and an adult cat in a 1 bedroom apartment and that's a little less fine.

Other dude considering another kitten: 2 cats in a 1 bedroom apartment is fine. It's when you get to 3 that you start to feel distinctly outnumbered. I have also only ever had 1 litterbox, yes even when I had 4 cats. Quelle horror! Keep it clean and it's fine. 6 months old is still super young and he'll probably do fine adapting to a new cat.

PooBoots
Feb 27, 2007

I noticed something outside my basement window this morning, and it turns out that a cat is hanging out in the window-well. There's a plastic cover over the well, and there is now a broken piece of plastic on the side. The cat is young but not kitten-y, so maybe about 1 year old? Looks healthy enough (as far as I can tell), but has a broken tail. It was shivering so I took out an old bath towel and put it in the bottom to cover up the concrete.

I wanted to get a picture earlier, but the cat had enough of my shenanigans when I put the towel in and left. I came home around 5 and it was back in there, and is in there right now.

Will cats do this? I'm worried that the cat has been abandoned or something and is resorting to sleeping in the most sheltered place it can find. Wouldn't a cat who was shivering find a better (warmer) place to go, if it *had* a place to go?

We're going to be getting some colder nighttime temperatures over the next week. I'm concerned but I'm not sure if there's anything I could or should be doing. For all I know, it has a home somewhere and hiding in there while still being able to see out of the plastic cover is Fun Time for Cats. :3:

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Kittens are a pain in the rear end but if you're going to introduce new animals, baby ones is best, and if there are two of them at least they can hang out with each other if Flash doesn't take to them. That said, kittens are a pain in the rear end oh look I said that already. The difference between one cat and two cats is not very big. The difference between two and three suddenly feels like 'poo poo, cats everywhere.' If you can find a pair of older kittens who know each other already, that would probably be best. Another route is just to get an adult who's known to be super chill and loves other cats. Since you already know Flash isn't an only-cat type, I'd really urge you to do this for sanity's sake. That is my opinion, however. I grew up with 5 cats as a kid and it was fine, but they were indoor-outdoor and when I was fostering I had 3 kittens and an adult cat in a 1 bedroom apartment and that's a little less fine.

Other dude considering another kitten: 2 cats in a 1 bedroom apartment is fine. It's when you get to 3 that you start to feel distinctly outnumbered. I have also only ever had 1 litterbox, yes even when I had 4 cats. Quelle horror! Keep it clean and it's fine. 6 months old is still super young and he'll probably do fine adapting to a new cat.

Oh yeah, baby kittens are totally a pain. I'd be looking at slightly older kittens, <9 month range. So still pretty young, but mostly out of the terrrrrible phase. That was mostly my concern, how big of a difference is 2->3 cats, because 1->2 is not very noticeable. Thanks for enlightening me! There is a duo I really want to get but it's probably best if I stick to one other cat. I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding, because if I was getting one cat I'd get an adult but it's a little harder for them both to adjust. If I was getting two, I'd get a young bonded pair so they could hang if Flash took a while to come around. Decisions, decisions.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

PooBoots posted:

I noticed something outside my basement window this morning, and it turns out that a cat is hanging out in the window-well. There's a plastic cover over the well, and there is now a broken piece of plastic on the side. The cat is young but not kitten-y, so maybe about 1 year old? Looks healthy enough (as far as I can tell), but has a broken tail. It was shivering so I took out an old bath towel and put it in the bottom to cover up the concrete.

I wanted to get a picture earlier, but the cat had enough of my shenanigans when I put the towel in and left. I came home around 5 and it was back in there, and is in there right now.

Will cats do this? I'm worried that the cat has been abandoned or something and is resorting to sleeping in the most sheltered place it can find. Wouldn't a cat who was shivering find a better (warmer) place to go, if it *had* a place to go?

We're going to be getting some colder nighttime temperatures over the next week. I'm concerned but I'm not sure if there's anything I could or should be doing. For all I know, it has a home somewhere and hiding in there while still being able to see out of the plastic cover is Fun Time for Cats. :3:

You're going to have to go by how friendly it is and how skinny it feels if you can touch it. If you are concerned about the weather, you can build it a low cost shelter with some easily obtained materials. You can buy some cat food at the store and see if it's interested. Cats are pretty easily bought with food, so if it is friendly and learns you are the food person, you'd be able to examine it a little easier and potentially take it to be scanned for a microchip. If you're not interested in doing any of that, your local animal control would likely come out and trap it for you.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Found out today that one of my cats is in stage 5 of FeLV, now I need to get the other one tested.

Is there anything that can be done? All I can find is things about some "new" drug all dated 2009. They're barely two years old and this really sucks :( They're the friendliest cats I've ever seen.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

kaworu posted:

Well, what I was trying to stress is that *every* situation is unique and every cat is pretty much unique in one way or another, and there is absolutely no one-size-fits-all solution. I think in this particular person's case getting a companion for their six-month-old kitten is a wonderful thing to try. I think that if someone has the means and the space, it's a *wonderful* and almost essential idea in general to adopt two kittens (and I say kittens, not cats) from the beginning, for a ton of reasons that will improve the quality of life for everyone involved.

My cat Jackie grew up with other cats and another dog, and apropos of what Mirthless was saying (and to answer her question) she was fine with those particular animals that she grew up with - she really adored them, actually. But one of the two cats died, and after that the remaining cats never got along again. They got more kittens, but that just made things worse for Jackie, who was 3 or 4 years old by then, not particularly adaptable, and ended up despising not only the new kittens but the humans she used to like, too. She also became aggressive and ultra-defensive about her food, since all the cats were free-feeding on dry food from the same dishes and Jackie didn't trust anyone, I think she constantly ate as much as possible out fear that others would eat it first, causing her to get really fat. And then, as the story goes, I adopted her to live as an only-pet in a small apartment and she immediately stopped being aggressive and growling and hissing (in fact she has not growled or hissed once in two years now) and became much more relaxed. She is also down to an *amazing* 12 pounds now from the 18+ pounds she weighed when I got her, which according to her vet is actually in the ideal range for a cat her size.

I mostly agree with you, but it can be very hard to tell until you introduce a cat to another cat. I've known cats that LOVE ALL THE CATS, cats that hate all the cats, cats that get on well with half the cats - but hate the other half - and also cats that hate all the cats except their one best buddy cat.

A friend of mine's cat was well over 10 years old when he made a friend. Before that he hated all cats. A new neighbour with a giant cat moved in and they were worried at first because he hated all cats as well.

It turned out to be a match made in heaven and they became grumpy middle-aged buddies.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Jesus Christ my cat is shedding a lot. He's a short haired cat, where the hell is it all coming from?! :psyduck:

I think I need a new brush. It looks like he has a little dandruff too. Hmm.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Reene posted:

Jesus Christ my cat is shedding a lot. He's a short haired cat, where the hell is it all coming from?! :psyduck:

I think I need a new brush. It looks like he has a little dandruff too. Hmm.

What are you feeding him?

PooBoots
Feb 27, 2007

Enelrahc posted:

You're going to have to go by how friendly it is and how skinny it feels if you can touch it. If you are concerned about the weather, you can build it a low cost shelter with some easily obtained materials. You can buy some cat food at the store and see if it's interested. Cats are pretty easily bought with food, so if it is friendly and learns you are the food person, you'd be able to examine it a little easier and potentially take it to be scanned for a microchip. If you're not interested in doing any of that, your local animal control would likely come out and trap it for you.

He's not friendly, but not terrified either? I gave him some kibbles this morning (just dropped them into for him) and left a small bowl of them outside of the plastic cover. By the time I had finished shovelling, he was out and eating. He went back into his "den" but when I went over to get the food bowl, once again, he'd had enough and climbed out. He didn't run away, he just walked but he kept about 5 feet between us. He's most definitely male, too. :D

I don't know that much about cat body language but is it possible that the shivering is more of a fear reaction? When I brought out the food, I was looking right at him and he started to shake a bit. I remembered to not look directly at him but of course then I couldn't tell if he was shaking or not. He seemed fine once he started eating.

My current plan is to call the shelter tomorrow and see what I can do.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I mostly agree with you, but it can be very hard to tell until you introduce a cat to another cat. I've known cats that LOVE ALL THE CATS, cats that hate all the cats, cats that get on well with half the cats - but hate the other half - and also cats that hate all the cats except their one best buddy cat.

A friend of mine's cat was well over 10 years old when he made a friend. Before that he hated all cats. A new neighbour with a giant cat moved in and they were worried at first because he hated all cats as well.

It turned out to be a match made in heaven and they became grumpy middle-aged buddies.

You are totally right, and making a point I failed to make adequately - cats are CATS. They're just so crazy unpredictable sometimes that you really never know!

I like to hear stories about anti-social older cats changing their ways like that, though. Because as much as I totally love and adore and worship my Jackie-cat, well... I'd like another cat someday, maybe. And I'd like to think that someday maybe Jackie could find a friend. The thing about Jackie is that she is just SO submissive and gentle and uninterested in play. All she seems to want out of life is a devoted human who gives her attention, food, love, attention, and food - but the nice thing is that Jackie's extremely loyal and trusting in turn. Other animals do not appear to figure into her needs at all and have actively impeded them in the past. But I like to think that if she found a cat similar to herself who did not want to tussle or play but just peaceably coexist and cuddle, then it could work out. But Jackie is so possessive and jealous of me around other people and animals that I don't know.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 3, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have no idea what Holly thins of me besides "food machine". She either tolerates my existence, doesn't care, begs for food, or bites/scratches me after leading me over with meows and purrs. But every time she proves herself to be an rear end in a top hat she later does something cute like chase a laser dot or let me scratch her chin and I'm like "MAYBE you are cool, cat. Maybe."

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

mcmagic posted:

What are you feeding him?

Indigo Moon Solid Gold. About 2/3 a cup a day.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Stupid question, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Turns out my kitten probably has worms based on a blood test. If this is the case, do they cross species? I mean if I pet her after she used the litter and didn't clean well enough (such as excrement on her tail) while eating a sandwich, or she starts drinking from a glass of water when I'm not looking, would that be a very bad thing?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

diadem posted:

Stupid question, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Turns out my kitten probably has worms based on a blood test. If this is the case, do they cross species? I mean if I pet her after she used the litter and didn't clean well enough (such as excrement on her tail) while eating a sandwich, or she starts drinking from a glass of water when I'm not looking, would that be a very bad thing?

You'd have to ingest the worms in her feces, so I wouldn't worry unless you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Serella posted:

You'd have to ingest the worms in her feces, so I wouldn't worry unless you do that.

Actually the most common intestinal parasites are transmitted by consuming the eggs, or eating a mouse or other small critter with an intermediate life stage.

Regardless, it's not normal to diagnose a parasite like intestinal worms from a blood test, so this may not even be an issue.