Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

Carthag posted:

america is so messed politically up that it doesnt surprise me when someone is against unions. its much weirder when it happens here in the first world

:lfpostin:
America has a troubled history with organized labor.

Things like

"Jimmy Hoffa"

and

"every car that came out of america in the 70s, 80s, and into the 90s"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Werthog 95 posted:

C++ Grandmaster Certification

never took a compilers course so this is probably beyond me but maybe someone here's interested idk

this has to be a troll that will wind up being an ad for scheme

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
the prof who taught my comparative programming languages course was chinese and pronounced scheme skee-MEE

it drove me nuts and to this day i can't see the word without hearing skee-MEE

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

the prof who taught my comparative programming languages course was chinese and pronounced scheme skee-MEE

it drove me nuts and to this day i can't see the word without hearing skee-MEE

my theory of comp class was taught by a chinese prof and he literally had no concept of teaching. Do x, if you do poorly do X more. Don't come cry to me round eye I paid my pound of flesh.

I take comfort in knowing that no one will ever use his programming language TOOL, Total Object Oriented Language

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

my theory of comp class was taught by a chinese prof and he literally had no concept of teaching. Do x, if you do poorly do X more. Don't come cry to me round eye I paid my pound of flesh.

I take comfort in knowing that no one will ever use his programming language TOOL, Total Object Oriented Language

I had a math professor who would just repeat the proof if you didnt understand it

its obvious

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Carthag posted:

america is so messed politically up that it doesnt surprise me when someone is against unions. its much weirder when it happens here in the first world

union thugs are bullies

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

guys, cut it.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
it's a surprising fact that phds who are never actually taught how to teach don't know how to teach

i have to give some props to old slanty eyes though, if you could actually understand what she was saying she wasn't half bad, except when it came to database design (her area of specialty) where she was talking so far above our knowledge level it was ridiculous

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

syntaxrigger posted:

started an intro to compilers class on edx or coursera and it used that language. didn't get far enough to decide how much i hated it

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Werthog 95 posted:

started an intro to compilers class on edx or coursera and it used that language. didn't get far enough to decide how much i hated it

whoa seriously?! you are the only person I know that even KNOWS of that language outside of people I want to school with.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it's a surprising fact that phds who are never actually taught how to teach don't know how to teach

i have to give some props to old slanty eyes though, if you could actually understand what she was saying she wasn't half bad, except when it came to database design (her area of specialty) where she was talking so far above our knowledge level it was ridiculous

My favorite professor at school had his PhD in Computer Science Education. He wrote the syllabus for many classes and often taught the freshman weed-out course. He'd start the course the first day by taking panoramic photo of the 500+ students without saying anything and then start with, "I just wanted to get a picture of the class since this is the last day you will all be here." That fucker knew how to teach those who wished to learn and got rid of everyone else real drat fast.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

syntaxrigger posted:

whoa seriously?! you are the only person I know that even KNOWS of that language outside of people I want to school with.

oh whoops nope it was COOL (classroom object oriented language) nm

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
came we name our language mlyp

much like your p-lang

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
mods pls rename thread to 'much like your p-lang' tia

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

tef posted:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

tef posted:

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

your operating system is a piece of poo poo, much like your p-lang

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tef posted:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
my `p' is p long

:heysexy:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
mulch, like your p-lang

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Hughlander posted:

My favorite professor at school had his PhD in Computer Science Education. He wrote the syllabus for many classes and often taught the freshman weed-out course. He'd start the course the first day by taking panoramic photo of the 500+ students without saying anything and then start with, "I just wanted to get a picture of the class since this is the last day you will all be here." That fucker knew how to teach those who wished to learn and got rid of everyone else real drat fast.

my uni waited until 4th semester for our weed out class so you've already paid for at least a year and a half of classes. i think they deliberately under taught the prerequisites as part of their cunning plan. only around 10-15% of students passed lol.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
today I am experimenting with link bait titles

http://programmingisterrible.com/post/42215715657/postels-principle-is-a-bad-idea

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i like your blog tef

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Dr. Honked posted:

i like your blog tef

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tef's blog falls into that category where i can tell it's good, but most of it is above my pay-grade so it mostly leeaves me all :eng99:

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

#2 on HN

wtg tef

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

tef posted:

people who actually understand c++ make money from explaining it, not writing it.

http://scottmeyers.blogspot.de/2013/01/effective-c11-content-and-status.html :q:

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

thats a fuckin haircut

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

polpotpi posted:

thats a fuckin haircut

Reading one of this guys books for a class right now. So much for ever being able to concentrate on it again. That fuckin hair

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

not "considered harmful", voted 1

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

salted hash browns posted:

#2 on HN

wtg tef

Marcus Aurelius was pretty awesome. :coal:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
do we seriously still not have the Butts programming language yet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i'm not sure i would call that linkbait, since your article is directly relevant to the headline and supports the same thesis. linkbait would be "postel's principle is the one thing missing from your code!!!11!" and then going on to explain why it is terrible and the reader is inferior

postel's principle made a lot more sense in 1980 when it was written
this was also the era when no one could imagine a malicious use for an open relay
smtp was the triumph of postel-ism

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the people I have cited are talking about my writeup.

why are they paying attention I am adding nothing but an echo

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

tef posted:

the people I have cited are talking about my writeup.

why are they paying attention I am adding nothing but an echo

because otherwise there might be a thread on hn without tptacek comments

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
current av status: i would also like to point out whoever bought my last av, changed it to a less broken but still animated gif

maybe the slapfight is over now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I want SVG avatars. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you