Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, there are plenty of posts on the Steam support forums about this problem, but they never went anywhere really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't been able to reach the hub even once since I bought it last week, so you're definitely not alone.

Anyone having serious issues with framerate hitching, too? It seems like it'll stop for a moment every two or three seconds for me on PC no matter what my settings are at.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is there a mod to replace the 360 prompts with PS3 controller ones?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

I haven't been able to reach the hub even once since I bought it last week, so you're definitely not alone.

Anyone having serious issues with framerate hitching, too? It seems like it'll stop for a moment every two or three seconds for me on PC no matter what my settings are at.
Yeah, I saw a couple pages ago someone else mentioned the social hub problem, but it was ignored by people who said "oh it's just you", same as various other posts that I googled.

And no, no performance issues for me. Runs like a dream on my sandy bridge i5 laptop with GeForce 540m. I have no idea how though.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Every time I launch the game it says the social hub is unavailable, but, the game still bugs me about clean driving and flying kicks and poo poo. I haven't seen any of my friends' scores for those and they've played the game much longer than I have. I think stuff should probably be showing up from them, right?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You really don't need the Social Hub, all it is just leaderboards for stuff you do in game comparing them to your friends.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I don't get the Social Hub either. Hasn't worked since I bought the game during the weekend sale.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

You really don't need the Social Hub, all it is just leaderboards for stuff you do in game comparing them to your friends.
Someone mentioned that when it's down, it makes the game hesitate at certain times, trying to reconnect. I don't know if it's true or not but if it is than that would be a reason to be annoyed. Also it's a big red X on my screen a lot of the time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There must be something on your end that's causing this, something fixable, if other people can get it working.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Knuc If U Buck posted:

There must be something on your end that's causing this, something fixable, if other people can get it working.
As far as I know no one has brought it from a state of not working to a state of working, there are just people for whom it has always worked and people for whom it never has and no one knows why.

I don't even know where to start looking for how to fix it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I know no one has brought it from a state of not working to a state of working, there are just people for whom it has always worked and people for whom it never has and no one knows why.

I don't even know where to start looking for how to fix it.

Oh that sucks, because doing the whole social club thing is definitely one of the more "stupid" fun things about the game.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Jesus christ this game has the best drive-by mechanics. Every single mission where you ride shotgun and mow down hordes of other cards is stupidly fun. I haven't seen cars flip so easily and explode for no reason since Crackdown.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Then obviously you haven't played Just Cause 2, that game had the most satisfying car flip-outs, especially in the sound. Every car flip is like an F1 racer crash, fhwump-fhwump-fhwump-fhwump-SMASH-fhwump-fhwump-fhwump-BOOM! :allears:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I have the same Social Hub problem, it always says it's unavailable, but I've noticed no slowdown ingame on PC. I need to find some steam friends who have the game also to see if it's actually working or what. I'm about 10 hours in, I think? I just finished the Winston's wedding mission...how far into the game am I?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I've seen friend's names pop up in the bottom right notification area when I'm doing jumps or long wheelies or whatever, but the Social Hub leaderboards never load for me. It's like it's making a connection to something, but it cant pull up the right information for the leaderboard.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Flame112 posted:

Jesus christ this game has the best drive-by mechanics. Every single mission where you ride shotgun and mow down hordes of other cards is stupidly fun. I haven't seen cars flip so easily and explode for no reason since Crackdown.

Yeah, if someone modded in an infinite drive by murder mode, I'd jump on that immediately.

Oh and the social hub works fine for me as well...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, if someone modded in an infinite drive by murder mode, I'd jump on that immediately.
Get the Triad Enforcer DLC. It has a mission called Triad Highway, where all you do is shoot dudes shooting at you who are on motorcycles. You have a machine gun.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There is a thug frantically banging and shouting in the trunk. Wei is driving wildly and aimlessly through Hongkong, racing up stairs and ploughing through pedestrians, ramming other cars off the road and making no attempts to avoid anything less solid than an actual wall, curious to find out how much abuse this cab can take before it'll blow up, taking its frantic passenger with it. He puts the pedal to the metal, as they say, and sends the cab bursting through the guardrail of a raised walkway, the debris knocking down several passers-by as the car crashes into a flowerbed and comes to a temporary halt.

A woman walks up to the battered cab, its paintwork a mess, its hood askew, engine belching out steam, and attempts to hire it. Wei looks at her, resplendent in his sunglasses and sheriff's hat, and asks her whether he looks like a taxi driver to her. She concludes that he doesn't, and walk away even as Wei guns it and drives into oncoming traffic, his involuntary passenger's yelling lost among the screeching of tyres.

The woman feels like she has missed out on the ride of her life, no doubt. I'm sure she'll feel dejected for days to come.

(This game. :allears:)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What exactly are the consequences if you just pull out your gun and shoot people in the middle of a fistfight? I'm afraid to try it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'd love it if they added some sort of mode where you had all kinds of weapons at your hideout and the city turned into a hosed up war zone and you could just go nuts.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Samurai Sanders posted:

What exactly are the consequences if you just pull out your gun and shoot people in the middle of a fistfight? I'm afraid to try it.

None. If I remember correctly, they don't pull out guns if they didn't start with them in a fight, and the worst you'll get is some police attention. At that point you should beat the crap out of the responding cops to maintain your cover.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Samurai Sanders posted:

You get to punch and shoot them and some sweet slow-mo kick-shoot combos! Tends to get police attention too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there even a way to shoot without going into TPS mode? Can you just fire freehand at enemies?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Flame112 posted:

Best thing is when you hold the action hijack button in a car; Wei will open the door and hang out. This means you can drive down the sidewalk and brain people with the door. Timing's kinda tricky, but fun.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there even a way to shoot without going into TPS mode? Can you just fire freehand at enemies?

Totally, just aim and shoot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Athenry posted:

Best thing is when you hold the action hijack button in a car; Wei will open the door and hang out. This means you can drive down the sidewalk and brain people with the door. Timing's kinda tricky, but fun.

My favorite trick to use getting into a car is when the valet brings me one, and I get in before he gets out - I like to imagine that he's absolutely terrified, feeling stuck in the passenger seat while a deranged lunatic takes him on a joyride through the streets of Hong Kong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My valet guy almost always brings me a motorcycle regardless of where I am or what I've been doing. I have almost the whole menagerie of cars, you jerk, stop bringing me Wei's default motorcycle! :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

isk posted:

Totally, just aim and shoot.
I mean, are you doing it from the third person shooter behind the back perspective, or is it like gun use in the Yakuza games where it basically acts as a melee weapon but with a longer range?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CJacobs posted:

My valet guy almost always brings me a motorcycle regardless of where I am or what I've been doing. I have almost the whole menagerie of cars, you jerk, stop bringing me Wei's default motorcycle! :argh:

You have to select what he'll bring you in the garage.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

epitasis posted:

I didn't realize this until after I beat the game. Didn't matter, I liked the default bike and I usually just stole cars instead.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, are you doing it from the third person shooter behind the back perspective, or is it like gun use in the Yakuza games where it basically acts as a melee weapon but with a longer range?

The former. If you've played Uncharted, it's a bit like that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I ran into the weirdest bug, I was clearing out a gang area to hack a camera, and the enemies, who all had crowbars, all stopped fighting me and started repeatedly dropping and picking up their crowbars. They were pretty easy to go around and slaughter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I had a weird bug as well.

I had an "Investigate the commotion" mission where a store requested I stuff a drunk guy into a boot. Except I first grabbed the wrong guy, and that didn't complete the trigger. Neither could I get into the car, there was a woman in the driver's seat.

I ended up punching out the windows and killing the driver, before I realised I had to exchange the innocent victim for the actual target. And sure enough that completed the mission. Except the driver was dead and hence the car AI went crazy, slamming itself into a wall until it exploded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

epitasis posted:

Jesus christ what. I have played this game for some few dozen hours and I never even noticed that was a thing I had to do myself. :stare:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, how do you actually hire cabs? It says to hold down Y but half the time that just causes me to jack the cab.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CJacobs posted:

Jesus christ what. I have played this game for some few dozen hours and I never even noticed that was a thing I had to do myself. :stare:

It cribs from The Saboteur, another amazing open world game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, how do you actually hire cabs? It says to hold down Y but half the time that just causes me to jack the cab.

You have to kind of wait a second until Wei completely stops moving before Y turns from "throw this motherfucker out" mode to "hey you I need a ride" mode. The cab also has to be not moving, which pretty much means you have to stand in front of it first so it stops.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

You have to kind of wait a second until Wei completely stops moving before Y turns from "throw this motherfucker out" mode to "hey you I need a ride" mode. The cab also has to be not moving, which pretty much means you have to stand in front of it first so it stops.
My kingdom for a GTA-like game where you can just wave at a cab and have it come over. Or just loving skip it all and have normal fast travel like every other game, immersion be damned.

edit: during a mission a while ago I t-boned a guy on a motorcycle while I was driving a truck at high speed, as his lifeless, bloody body was flying through the air, I was told "property damage, -5 cop points". Then later, I was running down the sidewalk and pushed a guy out of the way and got "killed innocent, -15 cop points". This game is fun but it had some weird bugs.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 3, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

My kingdom for a GTA-like game where you can just wave at a cab and have it come over. Or just loving skip it all and have normal fast travel like every other game, immersion be damned.

I'm surprised that one of the DLCs haven't added "Call for a cab" yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

In those face missions when someone steals your wallet, you can in fact just gun them down.

Wei's dark.

• Locked thread