Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I can picture the Nintendophone now. A call comes in and you slide to accept it. By the time the phone application finally starts up fifteen seconds later, the other party has already hung up. Then you wait another eight seconds to get back to the home screen. They'll fix that in an update in sixth months. Then you have to wait another three months for your carrier to approve the update and push it out OTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GI_Clutch posted:

I can picture the Nintendophone now. A call comes in and you slide to accept it. By the time the phone application finally starts up fifteen seconds later, the other party has already hung up. Then you wait another eight seconds to get back to the home screen. They'll fix that in an update in sixth months. Then you have to wait another three months for your carrier to approve the update and push it out OTA.

B-b-but it has Zelda! On my phone!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nerdbot posted:

A Nintendophone is a convenient idea from a consumer standpoint. But from a business standpoint it's an awful idea.
Yeah it'd be nice from a conceptual usage standpoint (barring the usual :psyduck: Nintendoisms) but realistically it'd just get steamrolled by iOS and Android. Plus it'd put all the $20-40 games into even more direct comparison with free and $1 games.

Doc V posted:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-01-nintendo-no-need-for-alarm

What's this? An article about the Wii U that attempts to analyze the situation rationally instead of screaming about Nintendo going third party!?:monocle:
NINTENDO IS DOOMED is so played out as click bait that a positive (or even just rational) article stands out as the contrarian one :v:

EC posted:

Meanwhile the :smug: Android user shows Zelda running on a emulator for free and uses some funky Bluetooth controller attachment to play.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

japtor posted:

Yeah it'd be nice from a conceptual usage standpoint (barring the usual :psyduck: Nintendoisms) but realistically it'd just get steamrolled by iOS and Android. Plus it'd put all the $20-40 games into even more direct comparison with free and $1 games.

I do not care to be rational because

EC posted:

:smugbert:

And I don't want to get into this debate again but I've owned a Samsung Galaxy for a year now and not a single game has interested me for payment quite like Nintendo DS games have. I even have games like Alphadia and Eternal Legacy and they pale in comparison to a Radiant Historia. The only good games for Android tend to be games you can already get on a console or handheld (like World of Goo). Nintendo might be competing with Android store prices but Android would be competing with Nintendo/handheld quality. To me it becomes a wash.

Plus I think it would be beneficial for a company like Blackberry who already gets hardly any support on their games/apps to hook up with Nintendo.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I just picked up Mass Effect 3 for the Wii and the dialog for the game can't be heard. There are parts where you can hear the dialog faintly, like you're hearing an echo, but it's pretty rare. I've tried both with the sound through my TV and my audio receiver and get the same problem. It's making the game unplayable, I can't tell wtf is going on.

Anyone else experience this?

Edit: Changing the Wii u's audio to stereo fixes it... No surround sound for me I guess, bummer

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 3, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GI_Clutch posted:

So like Android, but it actually gets fixes.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I used to wish I could combine my game boy micro and my phone, but that was back when lovely flip phones were all anybody had. The micro's still a better hardware design than, like, any phone I've owned, though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Davedave24 posted:

I used to wish I could combine my game boy micro and my phone, but that was back when lovely flip phones were all anybody had. The micro's still a better hardware design than, like, any phone I've owned, though.
Somewhat the same here. My hope was that they'd turn it into a digital download device, basically for VC and eShop before those existed. And yeah it's one of my favorite pieces of hardware ever.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

McFunkerson posted:

I just picked up Mass Effect 3 for the Wii and the dialog for the game can't be heard. There are parts where you can hear the dialog faintly, like you're hearing an echo, but it's pretty rare. I've tried both with the sound through my TV and my audio receiver and get the same problem. It's making the game unplayable, I can't tell wtf is going on.

What you're describing sounds like the console sending 5.1-channel audio to speakers that aren't there (or at least, not accessible in your current hardware configuration). Is the Wii U itself set to stereo or 5.1 output?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
This should probably go into the OP FAQ:

Rob Fahey posted:

Rising software sales also increase profitability - note that the Wii U, despite being Nintendo's first console to launch as a subsidised piece of hardware, is comfortably in the black after its launch, having sold 3.8 units of software for every console so far. That can be expected to rise significantly; the Wii, often decried as the console that sat unloved and gathered dust, actually has an attach rate of 8.7 software units for every console sold.

Good Party Dad
May 10, 2006
Me fail english, thats unpossible!

McFunkerson posted:

Edit: Changing the Wii u's audio to stereo fixes it... No surround sound for me I guess, bummer

Any chance its trying to play the dialog audio through the gamepad and the volume on that is all the way down?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Under what frequently-asked question? :raise:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
https://mobile.twitter.com/PG_jp/status/297233045164027904

Platinum guy posted:

@Fillytase @Konami would have to see demand for it and bring us the request to port [Revengeance].
And as futile as this likely is, someone made a petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-platinum-games-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-for-the-nintendo-wii-u

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Under what frequently-asked question? :raise:
"I'm thinking about getting a Wii U, but isn't Nintendo doomed?"

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You need to stop taking real and perceived slights against Nintendo/the Wii U so personally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No-one reads the OP and the majority of people engaging in this back-and-forth about whether Nintendo is or isn't doomed are the same people that have been doing it for the last x months. If they haven't realised how inane it all is by now they never will.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

"Wii, often decried as the console that sat unloved and gathered dust, actually has an attach rate of 8.7 software units for every console sold."

I wish this would just appear on every post that said no one bought games for the Wii. Bleh, you really do get tired of seeing "no one bought games besides Wii Sports!"

Anyway, I'm glad I waited to pick up a WiiU. The fixes to the OS will be nice.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

You'd think that petition would mention the twitter that said such a show of demand might influence the decision to port...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Almost Smart posted:

You need to stop taking real and perceived slights against Nintendo/the Wii U so personally.

I'm more annoyed that every page someone will claim nobody bought games for the Wii.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Minidust posted:

What you're describing sounds like the console sending 5.1-channel audio to speakers that aren't there (or at least, not accessible in your current hardware configuration). Is the Wii U itself set to stereo or 5.1 output?

The console was set to 5.1, but the sound is being played through a 5.1 receiver. I actually went around feeling my speakers and was getting audio out of all of them. There has to be something funky with my set up because setting the Wii to stereo fixed the sound.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm more annoyed that every page someone will claim nobody bought games for the Wii.

There's alot of games on the Wii that are incredibly nitche(like Castle Shikigami, Endless Ocean, Trauma Center) or intended for a much lesser age group(not kidding there's droves like Dora the Exploer, other Nicktoons, family games, and Disney princess stuff). When people say the wii has no games, it's mostly because they felt it didn't have seasoned videogame centric titles or good exclusives and it could easily appear that way because with the long peroids of game droughts. People just wind up losing intrest and don't go looking through the library. That and these titles are what most stores carry for the majority. For example Wii-Fit was indeed a big seller and alot of people bought it, however you're not going to pour the same ammount of hours into it like Xenoblade.

For me personally, in total I wound up with around 80 games for the system. Do I think it's the most terrible system ever? No, I didn't care for the motion controls in any of the games I played but other people will feel differently because they might like other stuff or compare it to past/present systems. Hell most of the games that I bought probably didn't even wind up breaking any sort of sales record.I felt that it did better than the Gamecube in overall exclusives and quality, but people will probably disagree with me on that. It's pretty much just a matter of opinion in the end, and determining which console did better/what stigmas it has are all really minor nitpicky stuff.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They're wrong, of course, but the claim merely needs to be altered. The attach rate for the 360 and the PS3 is higher than the Wii's, and if you filter it out to third party games(no one argues that the Wii was lacking in first party games or claims that they didn't sell well) the Wii is utterly crushed.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

McFunkerson posted:

The console was set to 5.1, but the sound is being played through a 5.1 receiver. I actually went around feeling my speakers and was getting audio out of all of them. There has to be something funky with my set up because setting the Wii to stereo fixed the sound.

Are you running the HDMI cable from the Wii U directly to your receiver or are you doing something else?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They're wrong, of course, but the claim merely needs to be altered. The attach rate for the 360 and the PS3 is higher than the Wii's, and if you filter it out to third party games(no one argues that the Wii was lacking in first party games or claims that they didn't sell well) the Wii is utterly crushed.

Holy poo poo, people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

deadwing posted:

Holy poo poo, people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games?

I didn't know the Wii had games other than Smash Bros for like three years.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

evilalien posted:

Are you running the HDMI cable from the Wii U directly to your receiver or are you doing something else?

It's an older receiver with no HDMI. I'm running all my HDMI cables to my TV and then running optical audio out to the receiver. I'm guessing that's my problem. Perhaps it's time for a new receiver.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McFunkerson posted:

It's an older receiver with no HDMI. I'm running all my HDMI cables to my TV and then running optical audio out to the receiver. I'm guessing that's my problem. Perhaps it's time for a new receiver.
Might be a bug, 1up's review mentions what appears to be what you're running into, although from a quick search all I can find are repostings of that review so I don't know how widespread it is. Maybe ask on the ME3 Miiverse community and see if everyone else has the same problem.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have to say I'm really disappointed with the Cave. It's glitchy as all hell first of all. Secondly, people have compared it to the Lost Vikings for some reason but it is nothing like that. In the Lost Vikings you use each characters abilities to progress in every level, there is action platforming, you have to use your unique abilities together to solve puzzles. In this, the only use for unique abilities is to get onto your proper cave branch, and in that character's one section. You never have to use any of the unique abilities together to accomplish a goal, and the only thing your partners exist for in your individual sections is to stand on a switch, hold a lever, or carry an item. Then you have several sections repeated in every playthrough where the puzzles are just identical no matter who you selected, and a couple of your abilities might be just a shortcut to skip a couple of things. And weirdest of all with seven characters, you'll have to play through two characters twice. There's a branch for good/bad ending at the very freaking end of the game, and of course you can't load your save to see both, you'll have to play through the entirety of the game with that character again if you want to see both, with puzzles that have lost their novelty.

Plus, obviously, it is absolutely insane they did not let you play this on the gamepad and made it a useless character select screen where it is easier to use the control pad anyway.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

McFunkerson posted:

Unfortunately you're correct. Wii U only does uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio, which is impossible to transmit over an optical cable. Even if you had heard sound from all your speakers before, you were only getting the front-left and front-right channel data. I'm guessing it just wasn't apparent until you played a dialog-heavy game like Mass Effect, which made frequent use of discrete center-channel audio. Best bet is to switch your U to stereo for now :/

japtor posted:

Might be a bug, 1up's review mentions what appears to be what you're running into, although from a quick search all I can find are repostings of that review so I don't know how widespread it is. Maybe ask on the ME3 Miiverse community and see if everyone else has the same problem.
Well McFunkerson definitely wasn't hearing all 5.1 channels in his hardware setup, but I suppose it's a happy coincidence if that's a legit bug and it helped expose the real problem!

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

greatn posted:

I have to say I'm really disappointed with the Cave. It's glitchy as all hell first of all. Secondly, people have compared it to the Lost Vikings for some reason but it is nothing like that. In the Lost Vikings you use each characters abilities to progress in every level, there is action platforming, you have to use your unique abilities together to solve puzzles. In this, the only use for unique abilities is to get onto your proper cave branch, and in that character's one section. You never have to use any of the unique abilities together to accomplish a goal, and the only thing your partners exist for in your individual sections is to stand on a switch, hold a lever, or carry an item. Then you have several sections repeated in every playthrough where the puzzles are just identical no matter who you selected, and a couple of your abilities might be just a shortcut to skip a couple of things. And weirdest of all with seven characters, you'll have to play through two characters twice. There's a branch for good/bad ending at the very freaking end of the game, and of course you can't load your save to see both, you'll have to play through the entirety of the game with that character again if you want to see both, with puzzles that have lost their novelty.

Plus, obviously, it is absolutely insane they did not let you play this on the gamepad and made it a useless character select screen where it is easier to use the control pad anyway.

I feel the same way, it feels very phoned in. I can't believe all of the playable characters are mute, it makes replaying it a chore. I got hit with one of those game breaking bugs, so I can't finish my play through. I usually love everything Double Fine does, but this is going to make me think twice about just buying their stuff on day 1.

It's also frustrating that there is no way to get a refund for the download since it's got a game breaking bug or 3. I'd have returned it if it were a disc based game with that. Oh well, hopefully they'll patch it sometime.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheThirst posted:

I feel the same way, it feels very phoned in. I can't believe all of the playable characters are mute, it makes replaying it a chore. I got hit with one of those game breaking bugs, so I can't finish my play through. I usually love everything Double Fine does, but this is going to make me think twice about just buying their stuff on day 1.

It's also frustrating that there is no way to get a refund for the download since it's got a game breaking bug or 3. I'd have returned it if it were a disc based game with that. Oh well, hopefully they'll patch it sometime.

What was the gamebreaking bug? I almost ran into one once but was able to save and reload.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

greatn posted:

What was the gamebreaking bug? I almost ran into one once but was able to save and reload.

The bridge in the monk level respawns in a way that you can't break through it again.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The game also feels very sloppy on a mechanical level. The controls are loose, the physics are awkward and slow, characters can just barely jump far/high enough for most essential purposes, and each time I try to drop down a ladder I can't predict what my character will do when I press the button. I'm not always sure whether I'm solving a puzzle or just messing with some physics quirk that only looks like the solution to the puzzle. There's no reason the game shouldn't play much more tightly.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Wind Waker is already up for pre-order on Amazon and Gamestop if anybody ever pre-orders this far in advance.

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Legend-Zelda-Waker-nintendo-u/dp/B002I0GF72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359919769&sr=8-1&keywords=wind+waker+wii+u

Gamestop:
http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker/107716

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I hope that's not anywhere near the actual price, unless Nintendo has done a ton of work on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Veotax posted:

I hope that's not anywhere near the actual price, unless Nintendo has done a ton of work on it.

Have you not seen screens? It looks like a completely different game.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

The game also feels very sloppy on a mechanical level. The controls are loose, the physics are awkward and slow, characters can just barely jump far/high enough for most essential purposes, and each time I try to drop down a ladder I can't predict what my character will do when I press the button. I'm not always sure whether I'm solving a puzzle or just messing with some physics quirk that only looks like the solution to the puzzle. There's no reason the game shouldn't play much more tightly.

That's apparently going to be fixed in a patch too. I thought the Knight just wasn't able to grab ledges like some other characters, but that's just another issue people keep running into. It's not just the WiiU version, either. Isn't DoubleFine's stuff usually better than this? I wonder what happened this time around.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its sad that The Cave is a ho hum game. Doublefine did a interview saying they didn't know what to do with the second screen. It shows.
They should have looked at some of the other games that use it well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

zenintrude posted:

Well of course, it was made while testing out art styles in the new Zelda engine for the Wii U. It's not just the same game with a texture pack like N64 emulators.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
$60 seems like a fine price if they add the cut dungeons or include other new large content. Would be a little hard to justify that price if its just new the graphics with a few minor tweaks/additions. But who am I kidding I'm going to buy it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Really? It just looks like they've put bloom in it. Either way, not wroth a full $60.

• Locked thread