Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I find it funny how people see Caska as broken and not who she wants to be. She said that if something happened to the hawks, she would disappear. I think she has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think you guys are being too pessimistic. Miura said Berserk will have an optimistic or at least bittersweet ending. I think Caska might end up killing Griffith. Or Griffith will grow bored and disillusioned with having a kingdom, and sacrifice himself to return the world to normal.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

Niccy Bones posted:

Did anyone see Descent?

Yep, it was pretty rad. They went all out on the nightmarish hellscape and it, along with the God Hand's appearance, finally brought the tone of the films around to the current dark fantasy atmosphere of Berserk that we've been waiting for. Also, given that long time fans knew exactly what was going to happen in the story and that the behelit was the crucial focal point of that scene, I thought they did a fantastic job on the build up and follow through of the moment when the behelit awoke. Definitely got some chills.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ehhh, I hope everyone jumping on the "Everything should be horrible forever!" thing are wrong. That's exactly what turned me off the First Law books. After a while it felt like the author was hovering over my shoulder going "SEE! SEE! ISN'T THIS poo poo EDGY AND ADULT? KEEP READING! NEXT CHAPTER I'LL RANDOMLY KILL A SYMPATHETIC CHARACTER TO REALLY DRIVE HOME THE POINT!". It just gets juvenile and tiresome.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Guts' life right now is better than it has been in years. He has hope for the future, friends, power, and he can actually sleep at night without being swarmed with ghosts. However, this state requires the people around him. Not only are they all very much at risk, half the time the biggest threat to their lives is Guts himself. No one is saying that he won't rise again, but Guts is certainly headed for a fall.

bondster
May 6, 2007

It looks like there will be more Berserk films in the future

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

pre-Eclipse Guts was suddenly dumped into the current situation

quote:

Cascade
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cascade may refer to:
A waterfall or series of waterfalls

Guts was able to choose between two hands and one giant arm, or one hand and the right to bear two arms with a surgical precision like some kind of superhuman monster. This is how he singlehandedly slighted the cruel hand of fate and became handicapable. You make him out to be a victim, but he jumped off a freakin' waterfall for the sake of chivalry- it just so happens gentlemen often are rewarded with the nookie.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
What on earth are you babbling about?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Called it. They wouldn't have hurried through the Golden Age if they weren't planning to go further.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soulcleaver posted:

What on earth are you babbling about?

A cascading theme, you rude dimwit! Its like you idiots never read the drat manga!!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Metal Pink Babble posted:

A cascading theme, you rude dimwit! Its like you idiots never read the drat manga!!
I apologize, Babble-san. I must submit to your superior wisdom.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any estimate as to when the comics resume?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Not being very well versed in Manga, is there anything coming close to Berserk in terms of quality?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Affi posted:

Not being very well versed in Manga, is there anything coming close to Berserk in terms of quality?

Give Vinland Saga a try.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Affi posted:

If you mean art quality, try Vinland Saga or Otoyomegatari/Bride's Story.

If you want something with vaguely similar themes and plot try Shin Angyo Onshi.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
If you like reading about people getting cut up I recommend Black Jack.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Affi posted:

Vagabond.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

As previously mentioned, Vinland Saga. Blade of the Immortal is also great. Both are gorgeously drawn too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Claymore is basically Berserk with an all girl cast. It starts off a bit shonen-y, but eventually every encounter is some mind-breaking eldrich horror and many a limb is lost.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Claymore a whole heck of a lot but it's very shounen and ultimately I feel its Berserk similarities are mostly superficial. Monster designs are certainly on par, though.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
In terms of overall quality, I can only think of Shin Angyo Onshi as coming anywhere close to Berserk (at least as far as dark fantasy goes). Excellent artwork, very well developed scenario and characters, an rear end in a top hat protagonist with a heart of gold(?). My favorite thing about Onshi is the extent to which it explores its underlying themes. Like Berserk, the story and scenario are deeply rooted in nihilism and illusion, and Onshi puts a great deal of focus on that (whereas Berserk is usually much more subtle about it). Unfortunately Shin Angyo Onshi only ran for 81 chapters before ending somewhat quickly, but it's still amazing all the way through.

Also for anyone who already read Onshi, the four Gaiden chapters were recently translated (don't read them until you finish the main story).

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I dunno, I feel like Casca has the fortitude to recover. I got the feeling that the only reason Guts got out of the Eclipse with his sanity intact was because he had already had a hugely lovely life (during which he had already been betrayed and raped), so he better equipped to withstand the horror. Not to mention how Casca was defiled by Femto himself, which has to be worse than what the lower-level demons were doing to Guts.

Or maybe it's just because I've been waiting for Casca to recover for over a decade now and I really want to hope for the best :sigh:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Re; Casca. I have to ask what the gently caress was going on when she had her menstruation and got like a fever and couldn't fight and why was that so goddamn awkward? It's the only part of the series that i've been trying actively to forget. I mean did she have a bad reaction to her tampon, cause that can get you really sick. But I don't know anyone who passes out from cramps.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

She was being very physically active, fighting in a battle, etc. Some people get a lot of pain when they're on their period, and you can get a little lightheaded because you're losing blood.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

Re; Casca. I have to ask what the gently caress was going on when she had her menstruation and got like a fever and couldn't fight and why was that so goddamn awkward? It's the only part of the series that i've been trying actively to forget. I mean did she have a bad reaction to her tampon, cause that can get you really sick. But I don't know anyone who passes out from cramps.

She also had a cold and had eaten some spoiled chicken that morning. Sometimes non-superhuman people have a lovely day.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here's a review of the third movie. Looks like they really got it right this time.
http://kotaku.com/5981641/the-third-berserk-movie-is-by-far-the-most-violent-thing-i-have-ever-watched

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Which of the Berserk anime stays closest to the source material (manga)? The original one in the 90s or the golden age movie trilogy?

Have not watched either and have read up to volume 19

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Khagan posted:

Which of the Berserk anime stays closest to the source material (manga)? The original one in the 90s or the golden age movie trilogy?

They skip bits and pieces in the Golden Age. That said, i have not seen the original 90's series since it came out.
I remember it probably with rose coloured glasses, but it was goddamn epic at the time. After watching it, i started reading the books straight away.

I haven't been excited by the Golden Age arc movies, they're good but not as pants shittingly awesome as they could be. Probably because these movies mark the 3rd time everyone has seen that arc done.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Khagan posted:

Neither. The anime skips less but cuts everything connected to post-Golden Age Berserk, while the movies have all the signs that the later stuff is on the way but butcher a lot of character-defining moments.

A lot of us are hoping the movies will start putting more detail in once they reach material that wasn't covered by the 90s anime.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the old anime TV series is really all that great (with the exception of the first and last episode.) It covers the most "vanilla" parts of the Berserk story (and cuts out a lot of foreshadowing of later plot developments) and the animation and voice acting is all pretty mediocre. Just stick with the books.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

notZaar posted:

I don't think the old anime TV series is really all that great (with the exception of the first and last episode.) It covers the most "vanilla" parts of the Berserk story (and cuts out a lot of foreshadowing of later plot developments) and the animation and voice acting is all pretty mediocre. Just stick with the books.

The books don't have Griffith show tunes.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Azubah posted:

The books don't have Griffith show tunes.

Or Susumu Hirasawa. :allears:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, both versions of Berserk are worth watching if for whatever reason you cannot read the manga.

d3c1
Feb 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Extortion sex game lead by the church. 50 bucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 90's Berserk anime only pales in comparison the the manga, it's still better than 99% of all anime that has or will ever exist. And Susumu Hirasawa's score adds so much to it.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I've only seen the first movie so far but it felt like Berserk Cliff Notes. The anime does omit on almost everything that is related to what takes place after the eclipse (minus zod and some weird mantis monster) but keeps all of the character development from the manga for the golden age ark. So for that I think the anime is better than the movie.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ccs posted:

Here's a review of the third movie. Looks like they really got it right this time.
http://kotaku.com/5981641/the-third-berserk-movie-is-by-far-the-most-violent-thing-i-have-ever-watched

quote:

But really, what boggles my mind is that what I saw was the "edited" (r-15+) version of the film—though I didn't know that until after I had left the theater. Late night showings (r-18+) are reportedly uncut. Frankly, I cannot imagine what could have been considered "too violent" compared to what I saw. And honestly, I don't really want to.

:stare:

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
Does anyone have any idea of when their is going to be a subbed version of the movie available anywhere?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

This movie is going to loving own :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I am rereading some of the books now, up to the Holy Tower rebirth arc. I forgot how much graphic sex there is in these parts, I'm thinking Miura was going through some lonely months when he penned this stuff.