Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I just went through two pages of people screaming at the top of their lungs and then some theorizing. Never change you jerks.

In regards to the mind control: I think what we saw here is a huge overexaggeration of what Caliborn (later Lord English) can do with JuJu, but it is not exclusively what happens all the time. As Regy Rusty said, when he gets older his technique is going to be more refined. Through Lil Cal in the future he won't even need to straight out mind control anymore, but possibly just make subtle influences. Going back to Gamzee and Bec Noir calling Lil Cal their only friend, both of them have been tainted by Lord English through the doll. I don't think either of them are being mind controlled like Jack was, but they were still doing what Lord English wanted them to do because he "talked" to them enough to get it into their heads to do his work.

I also really don't like these Jack is Lord English theories. What's more likely is that Jack is acting in place of Caliborn, as the latter cannot get to Universe B2. He probably saw all the dramatic stuff going on in the monitors, got incredibly pissed and just decided "ok gently caress it time to kill these idiots already". I think Caliborn knows what he's doing by having Jack go out to kill everyone on their quest beds, but for his ultimate victory to be satisfying he wants a real challenge. What could be more challenging than four god tiers and then four extra god tiers coming in a short time (which Caliborn should be aware of if he did go through Calliope's tome at least a little bit and read some of what she read)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

PleasingFungus posted:

Doesn't this count as 'careposting'? Are you allowed to do that? I think you might be breaking the FYAD Code, dude.

I've posted in FYAD maybe like five times. I was waiting for someone to mention it though. If you people really hated FYAD as much as you claim you do then you wouldn't be giving them so much credit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I just went through two pages of people screaming at the top of their lungs and then some theorizing. Never change you jerks.

In regards to the mind control: I think what we saw here is a huge overexaggeration of what Caliborn (later Lord English) can do with JuJu, but it is not exclusively what happens all the time. As Regy Rusty said, when he gets older his technique is going to be more refined. Through Lil Cal in the future he won't even need to straight out mind control anymore, but possibly just make subtle influences. Going back to Gamzee and Bec Noir calling Lil Cal their only friend, both of them have been tainted by Lord English through the doll. I don't think either of them are being mind controlled like Jack was, but they were still doing what Lord English wanted them to do because he "talked" to them enough to get it into their heads to do his work.

I also really don't like these Jack is Lord English theories. What's more likely is that Jack is acting in place of Caliborn, as the latter cannot get to Universe B2. He probably saw all the dramatic stuff going on in the monitors, got incredibly pissed and just decided "ok gently caress it time to kill these idiots already". I think Caliborn knows what he's doing by having Jack go out to kill everyone on their quest beds, but for his ultimate victory to be satisfying he wants a real challenge. What could be more challenging than four god tiers and then four extra god tiers coming in a short time (which Caliborn should be aware of if he did go through Calliope's tome at least a little bit and read some of what she read)?

I like Jack = Lord English for two reasons. First, because it's a beautiful reference to Earthbound, for reasons I stated earlier, and second, because the idea of Caliborn piloting Jack through L'il Cal's eyes, in the exact manner of a video game character, would really tie into the comic's nature and themes.

Sburb is supposed to be a game forwarding people's personal development, and in both the kids' and trolls' sessions, they've been making progress (occasionally sluggish, agonizing progress) towards that end, while loving poo poo up becomes more and more pointless - every villain from Jackspers onward was more or less immune to conventional force and the game instead became this big cerebral thing about exploiting glitches and creating non-existent maps through the Squiddy Abyss. Then we have Caliborn, who, through LE, would just be playing the game in a manner similar to, I dunno, Dynasty Warriors or something. Kill 2000 guys blow up the planet oh poo poo people are talking will they smooch y/n if n hit Skip button GO GO GO

The characters would have essentially spent the whole story at the mercy of a "gamer" who acts like the average cross-section of a Call of Duty Deathmatch lobby. It fits Homestuck like a glove.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 3, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, he still has to turn green and hulk out at least. Unless Caliborn's juju powers are really just that funky. I'm not going to make any guesses because honestly I'd buy just about anything at this point.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Reminder: Caliborn referred to Cal and his powers as a "curse".

This is probably just the beginning. :ohdear:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

He will break quest beds :unsmigghh:

Quest beds don't alter time in any way, though. The website allows us to look years into the past and thus IS a time travel device.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Found this on Tumblr, it got a chuckle out of me:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Insufferable reminder: Jake English's Prospit dream self is already dead (and iirc none of the other alpha kids' are). So what happens if he dies, even on his dream bed?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

Insufferable reminder: Jake English's Prospit dream self is already dead (and iirc none of the other alpha kids' are). So what happens if he dies, even on his dream bed?

God Tier. Crypt beds are extremely difficult to access and so they work whether you have your extra life intact or not.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Wow ok this update was insane!!!!!!!! || Wow ok this update sucked!!!!!!!!

Reaction post x2 combo!

Ok enough of that, let's get to theorizing!

Bobulus posted:

It's a leap, I agree. But everything we've seen about jujus seems to indicate that there should never be more than one of them. So that means that the two Lil' Cals need to somehow be the same one, through some trick of Time Travel. And since we're seeing Caliborn influencing the B2 one such that the B1 is affected, that implies the B2 one comes "first".

Unless it's a voodoo doll thing and order doesn't matter.

I don't think 'there can only be one at a time' really matters all that much when the universes are separated chronologically. Like Calliope's juju, it vanished when she sent the code for it, but it didn't appear on Jane's end until much later. So from Calliope's perspective, with her time-line viewing ability, she could have seen Jane holding the juju on the screen and seen hers in the box at the same time. Both 'exist' at the same time but not really? ... this made more sense in my head actually.

But anyway same with Lil'Cal. Basically we have a Cal that started in Dave's Derse room, went with Bro through the portal to B1 Earth, got taken by Bec Noir much later, thrown through the portal to A2 Alternia, fixed up in green, taken by Gamzee all the way to the B2 session and given to Clubs, who gave it to Jack, who then proceeded to flip the gently caress out.

On the other hand we have a Cal who... started in Dave's Derse room, went through the portal to B2 Earth with Dirk, fell in the ocean, was found by Gamzee and given to Caliborn, who used it as a portal to influence the other Cal.

I think there might also be a third Cal in Dirk's dream room too? I'm not sure and don't feel like checking.

Basically the only suggested true origin for any of the Cal's was Gamzee chuckle voodoo-ing Dave, while probably under the influence of Caliborn using his future Cal as a portal.

So unless you're suggesting that the Cal Dirk had on B2 Earth wasn't the one that came through to portal with him, or that that doesn't 'count', then having it go back to be the one in Dave's dreamroom would make Lil' Cal pretty much the only truely circular item in Homestuck, having no real beginning or end, instead continuously traveling in a circle to become it's exact past self.

Or something? I'm not even sure what I'm trying to argue here anymore.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So I attempted to piece together the six-panel Jack English (is that what we're calling him now?) picture. The result? Not too stellar.

I think Hussie made the picture and then cropped out portions of it to fit into the six panels the way it did. Some parts match up, but then the next parts don't match up no matter what fancy layering you apply! It was a valiant attempt at the very least.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

lotus circle posted:

So I attempted to piece together the six-panel Jack English (is that what we're calling him now?) picture. The result? Not too stellar.

I think Hussie made the picture and then cropped out portions of it to fit into the six panels the way it did. Some parts match up, but then the next parts don't match up no matter what fancy layering you apply! It was a valiant attempt at the very least.

Someone on MSPABooru tried this as well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Okay uh I've gotten as far as Jack knifing himself and I so do not want to click the to next page here.

e. oh gently caress oh jeez

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 3, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
They have better photo editing skills than I do for sure (but a paper bag can probably photo edit better than me). Seeing a full image is great.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

lotus circle posted:

They have better photo editing skills than I do for sure (but a paper bag can probably photo edit better than me). Seeing a full image is great.

I think I see your main problem here, though: you just put the pictures together, with no regard for the space behind the lines.

This was pointed out earlier, I think.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Ablative posted:

I think I see your main problem here, though: you just put the pictures together, with no regard for the space behind the lines.

This was pointed out earlier, I think.
I figured that much when I began putting them together. This other person did some more extensive work beyond my incredibly lazy "slapping layers together" technique.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shut up about how many people are or are not entertained by characters talking about their feelings.

Gamzee sent Jack the Lil Cal that he had on the meteor, which is wearing felt because Kanaya fixed it. Recently, we saw Gamzee somewhere surprised that Lil Cal winked at him, which was circumstantially simultaneous with Caliborn admiring the Lil Cal that formerly belonged to Dirk (identifiable by its water damage and Derse jammies). Gamzee had access to Felt Cal the whole time he was on the meteor, including before he ran out of drugs. When he sobered up, it's entirely possible that he went on his rampage not because he was angry at Dave but because he was under the influence of Caliborn through Lil Cal. He had an epiphany in which his lower-case and upper-case voices claimed to be the mirthful messiahs. I'm not sure if the chronology works out, though, as that may have been three years "before" Dirk's Cal was exhumed. Sober Gamzee was in contact with Doc Scratch, as well....

Caliborn gazes through the eyes of his own Lil Cal with swirl-vision, and the Cal in Jack's possession starts going billiard-eyed, inducing Jack to remove his own eyes and insert Cal's into his sockets, giving him what appears to be Lord English's powers (but not his coat, which is what he uses to travel through time).

Cherubs look like Cals when they're under the influence of trickster mode, even just cherub-like iconograohy like Jake's shirt. Trickster mode was induced by the union of the jujus belonging to two halves of a cherub. Caliborn refers to Lil Cal as a "false man." I think therefore we can conclude that a fully realized mature cherub looks somewhat like Lil Cal.

So much we don't know.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Cherubs look like Cals when they're under the influence of trickster mode, even just cherub-like iconograohy like Jake's shirt. Trickster mode was induced by the union of the jujus belonging to two halves of a cherub. Caliborn refers to Lil Cal as a "false man." I think therefore we can conclude that a fully realized mature cherub looks somewhat like Lil Cal.

So... wait, what you're saying is, LE isn't even an adult physically, he's just a roid-raging teenager through and through?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Ablative posted:

So... wait, what you're saying is, LE isn't even an adult physically, he's just a roid-raging teenager through and through?

Essentially, I think this is Bobulus's point, yes, and it holds up. It's pretty sensible to speculate that in a "normal" (?????) Cherub life cycle, the two personalities consolidate peacefully, combine their jujus, take a lick, and become giggling assholes that spread mirth and cheer throughout the cosmos.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Thats pretty nice.

:ohdear:
Soo, what will happen when Cal gets hit with the crowbar?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

toxic8aker posted:

Thats pretty nice.

:ohdear:
Soo, what will happen when Cal gets hit with the crowbar?

I think the crowbar is how Jack got Cal's eyes out in the first place.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

God I hope there's going to be an English!Jack vs. Dad throw-down.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

No.44 posted:

God I hope there's going to be an English!Jack vs. Dad throw-down.

English!Jack vs. Bec Noir as a followup.

Not that Dad will lose; he will win fair and square, gain his freedom again and go home to make cakes for his daughter and father's birthday.

EDIT: vvvvv He burnt his hat and they went their separate ways.

I can think of no other time Dad and Jack fought.

life_source fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 3, 2013

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You... You both remember what happened the last time Dad fought a Jack Noir, right?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

life_source posted:

Good, because you'd be remembering wrong. That other time? That wasn't a fight.

That was a murder.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

YggiDee posted:

You... You both remember what happened the last time Dad fought a Jack Noir, right?

Dad will win with his incredible shaving ability and suave fashion sense. :smuggo:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
That certainly is an amazing update! Let's all be happy about it!

DaveKap posted:

More than 1 person worked on the book. One of those people is an IRL friend.

Please let them know that I appreciate their participation in creating that fine work of art. Also, am I correct in assuming that the other people who worked on the book getting portions of the sales profit? If so, that's great!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Am I late to the "oh, gently caress" party?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

atomicthumbs posted:

Am I late to the "oh, gently caress" party?

Nah, it's cool. I overslept and this was certainly not what I wanted to wake up to!

I wonder if Hussie had this reveal planned from the beginning of the X2COMBO page layout? There's so much in this comic that seems completely incidental but is probably the result of much planning and storyboarding.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I just realized. Jake English is about to get Jack English'd.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Radio Paranoia posted:

Nah, it's cool. I overslept and this was certainly not what I wanted to wake up to!

I wonder if Hussie had this reveal planned from the beginning of the X2COMBO page layout? There's so much in this comic that seems completely incidental but is probably the result of much planning and storyboarding.
From interviews and his own notes on the comic, he generally always had a lot ideas and concepts that he laid out. Sort of like a rough sketch of what was going to happen and how the story would flow. On the other hand, there are plenty of things not planned out that came to be. Notably the trolls being a larger part of the story, whereas before they were going to play far minor roles. I like to think that by the time he got to Caliborn in the game and with the video monitors he thought of the idea of doing this multiple panel thing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

loving Hussie.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh god... his treasure was leading to the creation of the green sun and himself...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Holy loving poo poo :psyboom:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You can't get away from Lord English, because is already here.

Being already here is practically his entire schtick.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Remember what doc scratch said... "He’s already here"? Guys, I don't think Caliborn was ever English. It was always Jack
He was even there before Homestuck.

In Problem Sleuth.

As Spades Slick.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hey so if Jack is Lord English Spades Slick is out after himself-

gently caress

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I keep seeing that image posted around on some discussion sites and I don't understand what people are trying to draw from it. Are we really going to start thinking everyone but Caliborn is Lord English again? I thought we were done with that when Calliope talked to Roxy and made it clear that she wasn't Lord English but it was her brother that was Lord English. At this point in the comic there is no reason for Hussie to keep making us question who this guy is when we've been introduced and acquainted with his past self for over half a year now.

Remember that the "treasure" inside is just the console where Slick can give orders to Karkat from. Which he later on abandoned because Karkat never even listened to him and he just got annoyed with all the trolls. Lord English put the spade there to indicate that it was especially put there for Slick to find and open up, which only he could do because of the barcode on his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"My apartment doesn't have a doorbell. Why would an omniscient fellow need to be alerted to the presence of a visitor? I know he will be right on time. Which is to say, early. And if I did have a doorbell, you would have just witnessed it ring.

He is already here.

I know the identity of anyone who stands behind this door, even in those cases where I have not extended an invitation to the visitor personally. Pardon me while I let Jack inside.

Did you not believe it would be Jack? Who else would it be? Someone who would have suspected anyone else is a person I would also describe as a sucker.

Haa haa.

Hee hee.

Hoo hoo."