Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Which of the older SMT games are actually translated? I know there were translated ROMs for at least SMT2, and of course we're getting the 3DS release of Soul Hackers eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

FauxGateau posted:

Both of the first Personas basically had mini-apocalypses. Major spoilers for P1 and P2 Like 1 dealt with a weird dream world created by a sickly teenager, where a guy used it to become a god to destroy the real world. Whereas Persona 2 dealt with rumors becoming reality to trigger an apocalyptic scenario. Also Hitler's in it. Both of them are potentially world destroying events, so I suppose that they could count as apocalypses.

Innocent Sin is a full scale apocalypse, really. The earth flat out has its surface scoured of all life and then stops turning. The only place to survive is Sumaru City. EP just has some dragons loving poo poo up, so I'd say that's maybe a mini-apocalypse but no one ever refers to it again so...

Off topic, but seeing Devil Children in that timeline picture reminded me of the weird-rear end demon list they had. There are so many things that only ever appeared in Demikids/Devil Children that I'd love to have in a more mainline SMT or Persona. Like, not just obscure stuff like Angrboda but even Zeus only ever showed up in Devil Children, if I recall correctly. Just give Kaneko a bunch of money to redraw like that entire demon list and put them in a real game already. Then maybe we can dump some of the ancient designs we've been seeing since the SNES. (yeah, yeah...too expensive, will never happen)

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Actually, I believe in P1 Kandori used Maki and the Deva System to create an alternate reality where he was god of Deva Yuga, but when he was defeated and Pandora was killed, the protagonists returned to the normal world. And the Deva system just used Maki's "mindscape" as an alternate universe.

Masakado
Aug 6, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

If Hijiri isn't Aleph, then who is he? It seems weird that they'd include such an oddly specific fate for him, this whole curse and the like, for him NOT to be Aleph.

Of course, all that poo poo is only revealed in what was the "special edition" anyway, so god knows but...I mean it seems weird, doesn't it? That timeline is pretty neato though.

Bottom line is, we don't know and it's left specifically ambiguous. There's fanwank all over the place. On Japanese sites I've never actually seen Aleph proposed, but I've seen Stephen and even Nakajima suggested. Unless someone at Atlus comes forward and settles things once and for all it's nothing but bullshit conjecture.

I don't think YHVH's "I'm going to torture every one of your reincarnations" line to Aleph in SMT2 should be taken as anything other than generic smack talk. Remember reincarnation is a pretty Standard Thing in Japanese culture so it's not that specific a fate. EVERYONE gets reincarnated so it's more like "I'm going to make life poo poo for you not just in this life, but in all your lives to come."

Also it's worth noting that the Great Will in Nocturne most likely isn't YHVH either. I thought that myself until it was pointed out to me that the Great Will is a recurring theme dating all the way back from MT2--a hive mind of powerful gods that controls the universe of which YHVH is just one part. Especially since (in the Japanese version at least) "God" and "Great Will" are both used for separate terms in SMT3. So it makes even less sense to think of Hijiri as Aleph. Hell, if we're going down the fanwank "SMT3 is connected to SMT2" road, a far more likely scenario is that the Chaos route of SMT2 is canon, YHVH is permanently dead and Lucifer has set his sights higher to the remainder of the Great Will.

Personally I'm of the opinion that there's no direct connection between 2 and 3 at all, and the only thing they share is thematic devices. It takes far more mental gymnastics to find a tenuous connection than to just conclude they're entirely separate. Occam's Razor and all.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Nate RFB posted:

Which of the older SMT games are actually translated? I know there were translated ROMs for at least SMT2, and of course we're getting the 3DS release of Soul Hackers eventually.

SMT and SMT II both have fan translations, and if... has one in the works. The first of the Last Bible games got a release as Revelations: The Demon Slayer, and I think there's one of Last Bible II.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nate RFB posted:

SMT1/2 are both done, If... is in the works, Majin Tensei 1 & 2 have prelim hacking done on them but no actual translation.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Ok, outside of the Devil Survivor guy drawing weird tits, is he really THAT bad of an artist/designer? I've always liked his character designs for the most part, and the cleavage thing always struck me as more funny than particularly bad at least to warrant all the vitriol. I always thought he did great facial expressions and his designs manage to be interesting without being too over the top. He's not as good as Saejima or whoever it is that does the Persona games, but are we really questioning why he's getting work when his biggest flaw is that he likes cleavage? Or is there more to this that I'm not getting?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

His actual style when it comes to coloring and stuff isn't bad but he literally just recycles the same ten or so characters and mix-matches hair/clothing/etc It's extremely boring and samey.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RentCavalier posted:

Ok, outside of the Devil Survivor guy drawing weird tits, is he really THAT bad of an artist/designer? I've always liked his character designs for the most part, and the cleavage thing always struck me as more funny than particularly bad at least to warrant all the vitriol. I always thought he did great facial expressions and his designs manage to be interesting without being too over the top. He's not as good as Saejima or whoever it is that does the Persona games, but are we really questioning why he's getting work when his biggest flaw is that he likes cleavage? Or is there more to this that I'm not getting?

Did you happen to miss the whole "the main reason the tits are even a problem is because his anatomy sucks" thing? The problem isn't that he draws tits, it's that he does a terrible loving job of doing it. The tits are a symptom of a much larger artistic flaw. Take a good long look at Io's spine.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His actual style when it comes to coloring and stuff isn't bad but he literally just recycles the same ten or so characters and mix-matches hair/clothing/etc It's extremely boring and samey.

Perhaps the same could be said of all animes...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If you've ever seen one of his art books, of which he has many (against all decency and standards), you'll notice that his anatomy is hilariously terrible and that his design ideas are really uninspired mix-matching of repeating features.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest problem, aside from the hilarious anatomy, is that he's just incredibly boring. I'd have Kaneko do everything if I could and he's basically the polar opposite of Kaneko.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So he's the Greg Land of anime.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Alteisen posted:

So he's the Greg Land of anime.

Nah, that'd be the Gundam SEED guy.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ImpAtom posted:

My biggest problem, aside from the hilarious anatomy, is that he's just incredibly boring. I'd have Kaneko do everything if I could and he's basically the polar opposite of Kaneko.

Well I can agree with this. The fact that SMT has apparently done away with Kaneko is just...sad to see. I hope he somehow makes his own company or headlines another game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Did Kaneko ever get a book published of his work or anything similar? Nocturne was the first game in the series I ever played and his art was one of the big reasons why I got hooked.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

There is even translation of Megami Tensei 1 and 2 (nes) if you really want to go there...

edit: Oh, somebody already mention this, I just thought the translation was finish.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 2, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kaneko being replaced strikes me very similar to the way they switched the Castlevania artist for whomever did those anime designs for Dawn and PoR, essentially another weak attempt for mass market appeal.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

FulsomFrank posted:

Did Kaneko ever get a book published of his work or anything similar? Nocturne was the first game in the series I ever played and his art was one of the big reasons why I got hooked.

I can't seem to find a full list of his work, but "Kazuma Kaneko Works" 1-3 seem to be fairly extensive. There are other books you can find if you search Kazuma Kaneko on ebay.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 2, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I can't seem to find a full list of his work, but "Kazuma Kaneko Works" 1-3 seem to be fairly extensive. There are other books you can find if you search Kazuma Kaneko on ebay.

Good lord, I was not expecting those books to be so drat expensive. I really like Kaneko so I figured maybe I'd grab some of those works off eBay, but Works 2 starts at $140 and be damned if I can find Works 3 for less than $260! :psyduck:

Atlus should really get a reprint going on them at some point, but for now I think I'll have to settle with some of those cheapo Devil Summoner art books.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Just so you know, Kaneko Works 1 and 2 are all old stuff. Like the demon art for SMT1 and 2, back in the nineties. 3 is mostly stuff he did at the turn of the millennium for NINE, Nocturne and the SMT1-if... PS1 remakes.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Why are they changing artist? Is Kazuma Kaneko tired of working there or something?

Edit: Oh I see, he did mostly the old school stuff. He did worked on Devil summoner, Nocturne and Strange Journey thought.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bleusilences posted:

Why are they changing artist? Is Kazuma Kaneko tired of working there or something?

Edit: Oh I see, he did mostly the old school stuff. He did worked on Devil summoner, Nocturne and Strange Journey thought.

He's still working there. As you said, he did do a lot of Strange Journey art design, and he still has a big role at Atlus. He is just working mostly behind the scenes, not being the lead art director on their titles anymore. I wish he was, I was a little sad to see Soejima take the lead in SMT4. His work fitted Persona 3 and 4 really well, but I rather like Kaneko's style for the main SMT games.

Although if Soejima is working on SMT4, who's leading the art direction with Persona 5?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Although if Soejima is working on SMT4, who's leading the art direction with Persona 5?

You assume that Persona 5 isn't Atlus's Versus 13.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

He's still working there. As you said, he did do a lot of Strange Journey art design, and he still has a big role at Atlus. He is just working mostly behind the scenes, not being the lead art director on their titles anymore. I wish he was, I was a little sad to see Soejima take the lead in SMT4. His work fitted Persona 3 and 4 really well, but I rather like Kaneko's style for the main SMT games.

Kaneko :unsmigghh:

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Doi, the artist for P2P and Soul Hackers 3DS is the art director for SMT IV.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Artix74 posted:

To be Versus 13 Atlus would have actually had to show something to get people excited, THEN go full dark on us. Right now it's essentially Schrodinger's Persona.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bleusilences posted:

Take your pick:
Kaneko wanted to do an HD game, and they wouldn't let him so he's boycotting SMT4.
Kaneko is overseeing the HDification (or should I say "HDeification") of his demon designs for SMT x FE and P5.
Kaneko, like Matsuno and Yamaoka, got tired of being shoehorned into working on the same types of projects and decided to spread his wings.

The real question is why they can't loving hire an intern to clean up his nineties art and make it look vaguely presentable alongside the stuff he did for Nocturne if they're gonna insist on using them in the same game.

Soejima isn't working on SMT4.

Artix74 posted:

I'm not sure why you would think that, unless you're one of those "But we haven't had a new Persona game in five years!!!" folks, in which case lemme tell you about those SMT games with ten year gaps between installments.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

To be Versus 13 Atlus would have actually had to show something to get people excited, THEN go full dark on us. Right now it's essentially Schrodinger's Persona.

When did we actually get a first look at Versus 13 (from when it was announced)? Because I feel like we still might have a year or so before P5 actually has to show anything to be even.

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm not sure why you would think that, unless you're one of those "But we haven't had a new Persona game in five years!!!" folks, in which case lemme tell you about those SMT games with ten year gaps between installments.

That was a joke dude. The point being that we have yet to see anything proves Persona 5 even exists, so it doesn't matter who the art director is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artix74 posted:

When did we actually get a first look at Versus 13 (from when it was announced)? Because I feel like we still might have a year or so before P5 actually has to show anything to be even.

We got a look when it was announced and then gameplay footage a couple of years (!) ago.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Artix74 posted:

Uhhhh... Let's see, they announced it like '06/'07 right? Then that would be '10 when they released the Tokyo Game Show trailer (that was actually a trailer from Square-Enix's Mega Secret Theater in '09)

gently caress this game has managed to go the entire god drat generation with nothing but smoke and mirrors!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Wasn't there an interview where Soejima said he was submitting sketches for the P5 project?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just checked around and I guess a Famitsu issue from 2011 confirmed that he was the character designer for Persona 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Uhhhh... Let's see, they announced it like '06/'07 right? Then that would be '10 when they released the Tokyo Game Show trailer (that was actually a trailer from Square-Enix's Mega Secret Theater in '09)

gently caress this game has managed to go the entire god drat generation with nothing but smoke and mirrors!

They're going to announce and possibly release the PS4 before it comes out. :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if this was ever posted in the thread but it's magical.

Edit: Apparently this is a thing that gets done on youtube a lot? Power Rangers

Len fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 3, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

They're going to announce and possibly release the PS4 before it comes out. :allears:

I'd put a pretty good sum of money on Versus 13 never coming out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square-Enix actually brings Versus 13 up every couple of months, but they're getting to the point where they realize how bizarre the whole thing is and the updates are like "Yeah it totally exists, we just finished watching the footage of the game Nomura showed us and it looks REALLY good you guys!"

My money's on Versus 13 being rebranded and pushed out as one of those quasi-next gen titles that's clearly a last gen game.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So you guys like 4-Koma english Shin Megami Tensei comics right? Because this guy does good work.

Also is a person who draws Strange Journey fanart.

Here's the bro's tumblr if you're interested.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 3, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, those are loving awesome. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The 'Right to Bear Arms' one is perfect. Demonica guy rocking out in the last panel got me so badly.