Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
So I just got the new Tegan and Sara vinyl and it's jacked up! I took a video of the sound. It's weird. Nedless to say I'm working on a replacement. Any idea why this would happen?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w876lgft0myf94/IMG_0131.MOV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

nomapple posted:

I found a place that sells them in batches of 10 for reasonable prices. Picked me up some "FRAGILE" tape and some bubble wrap. I actually have a good condition box ready to go from the last LP I received, so there's that.

Where did you get them from? I'm in need of some as pretty much all my vinyl is in the UK and I no longer am :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I paid $5 for my The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate LP, promptly opened it and listened to it twice.

Just checked online and I'm :suicide: about how much it's going for new now :saddowns:.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
you did the right thing dude

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What kind of person would want to actually listen to a record? All records must be sealed in an airtight vault never to be seen, handled, or heard again.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CPL593H posted:

What kind of person would want to actually listen to a record? All records must be sealed in an airtight vault never to be seen, handled, or heard again.

EXACTLY

I don't mind now since even though selling it for $130 would be cool and all, it's still one of my favourite albums :3:.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

EXACTLY

I don't mind now since even though selling it for $130 would be cool and all, it's still one of my favourite albums :3:.

Honestly if I got that kind of a deal on an album I loved I'd be seriously excited about that poo poo. I would never dream of selling it, even for that kind of a profit.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I got a copy of Angus & Julia Stone's Down The Way on vinyl last year some time for $80. Like a month after I got it one sold on eBay for $256 and since then more have sold for $300+ on Discogs. No way in hell I could sell it though, such a great record.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

CPL593H posted:

This is completely true. I picked up a copy of the reissue of Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary. The sticker on the shrinkwrap says "Limited edition colored vinyl". I opened it and it is black. If I had never opened it I could have forever lived with the comfort of knowing my copy was on colour vinyl. That illusion is now shattered.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

I paid $5 for my The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate LP, promptly opened it and listened to it twice.

Just checked online and I'm :suicide: about how much it's going for new now :saddowns:.

Man, that image has a beautiful pallet of colors.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

This is completely true. I picked up a copy of the reissue of Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary. The sticker on the shrinkwrap says "Limited edition colored vinyl". I opened it and it is black. If I had never opened it I could have forever lived with the comfort of knowing my copy was on colour vinyl. That illusion is now shattered.

Racist.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Put it on and take it off the spindle repeatedly. Or just take a pen-knife, insert it in the hole, and rotate it a few times.

Found a perfectly sized pen and then put it on/off the spindle a few times and now it fits! Here's the album in question I had to fix

It's a 3xLP but the other 2 were already fixed by the previous owner.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 3, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I can't believe I just ordered a new My Bloody Valentine album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

shmee posted:

Where did you get them from? I'm in need of some as pretty much all my vinyl is in the UK and I no longer am :smith:

Amazon UK sell them and seem to have lots of different options. The 12" ones look like they're going to be pretty good because they come with stiffness boards and stuff. I'll let you know whether they're remotely good quality when they arrive.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

nomapple posted:

Amazon UK sell them and seem to have lots of different options. The 12" ones look like they're going to be pretty good because they come with stiffness boards and stuff. I'll let you know whether they're remotely good quality when they arrive.

That'd be great, thanks. I know it will be a pain in the arse to ship it all over here, and there will be some damage, but I have a bunch of things which are difficult to find like the Stars of the Lid stuff, the self-titled Labradford album with the cut out cover, stuff like that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Doctor Cave posted:

This had me about to break my vinyl buying freeze. I think my willpower can hold. :ohdear:

It's great news though, can't wait to hear it!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Recent pickups. Top right is Foreign Body by Mirrorring (Grouper and Tiny Vipers) which I'm glad I finally picked up on vinyl. Bottom is Imaginary Falcons by Peaking Lights, which I'm glad to have also.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Has anyone here (especially US residents) ordered records from Amazon UK?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Has anyone here (especially US residents) ordered records from Amazon UK?

It's a huge pain in the arse and rather expensive. 10/10 would buy again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

It's a huge pain in the arse and rather expensive. 10/10 would buy again.

I decided "gently caress it" and just took the plunge anyway. They were the only place that still has the black vinyl copies of the Drive OST. I decided I dragged my feet too long on buying that. For some reason the label is now only offering the colored vinyl and picture disc versions.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 5, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

I decided "gently caress it" and just took the plunge anyway. They were the only place that still has the black vinyl copies of the Drive OST. I decided I dragged my feet too long on buying that. For some reason the label is now only offering the colored vinyl and picture disc versions.

Why wouldn't you want the colored version? You got something against pink, bro?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I generally avoid colored vinyl pressings if I have the option because I've had problems with them on many occasions.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Pink vinyl is the best vinyl.

I have the pink Drive ST and it looks and sounds great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

I have the pink Drive ST and it looks and sounds great.

It only cost me an extra dollar, so I'm not too concerned.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

It only cost me an extra dollar, so I'm not too concerned.

Not criticizing you or anything, I just strongly believe that pink vinyl looks awesome.

Apparently Tyler Stout is doing the artwork for the Mondo release, so I'm really glad I decided not to wait and went with the import. Even if it doesn't look ugly (which it probably will) that pre-order is going to be a poo poo show.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

Not criticizing you or anything, I just strongly believe that pink vinyl looks awesome.

Apparently Tyler Stout is doing the artwork for the Mondo release, so I'm really glad I decided not to wait and went with the import. Even if it doesn't look ugly (which it probably will) that pre-order is going to be a poo poo show.

Are they even still doing that any more? Last I recall they were going to be putting it on sale last June, then they never said anything about it again.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Are they even still doing that any more? Last I recall they were going to be putting it on sale last June, then they never said anything about it again.

As of January 2nd it was approved and at the plant being pressed, so I'm sure it'll be out sometime NEXT year. At least at the rate they've been going with it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

As of January 2nd it was approved and at the plant being pressed, so I'm sure it'll be out sometime NEXT year. At least at the rate they've been going with it.

gently caress 'em.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

Same. What the christ. At least I finally got a new stylus after the goddamn cat jumped on the turntable and bent the last one.

....unfortunately my preamp's just poo poo itself, so what the christ.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Awww yea.

Just sorting through a box of tat someone gave me. Pulled out some Acker Bilk album that I've never seen before.

Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Stranger On The Shore but I've heard my share of Acker, it's much of muchness.

Alright, let's see how many more "Stranger" clones we hav... :stare:

huh.

Records: A billion little surprises waiting to be found.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Anyone ever order from District Lines? Take my advice, if your favorite band sells albums through them just say no. I placed an order for a Guster album plus a bunch of cheap stickers back in the middle of December. They never shipped it, so after going back and forth with their slow ticket system they finally replied two weeks ago saying it shipped out. Get a load of the mailer they used for one LP and a few stickers (normal LP mailer placed in front for scale):

Luckily, the album was in decent shape and only had signs of slight bending on one of the corners. Never again, District Lines.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
One Little Indian also seems to favour the thin cardboard folder method, even for international delivery. Which is a pity because they have a bunch of cool artists.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I've been prowling for reissues of some old things and I'm seeing a LOT of pressings out of Korea on eBay. I'm not necessarily worried about getting an original, but what's the quality like? Anyone know?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Our local Hastings bookstore is doing a test run of buying records at a flat rate of $.50/per. My dad's driving over a load of a couple thousand to sell, so I "get" to spend all tonight doing a once-over of them and picking out anything I want or think might be worth something. Last time I looked at them I know I saw some Miles Davis and about five Funkadelic records, including Maggot Brain, so I'm hoping there might be more good stuff. Unfortunately it's genres I don't know much about, so there will be a lot of time spent on popsike/ebay tonight.

edit: Scratch that, they've all been unloaded by relatives who are taking them to another store. Sucks that nobody will bother to go through them first. :(

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 5, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Kevar posted:

It really is. :c00lbert:

A few of my other rares:

Anyone know the pressing information for Manners? I can't find it anywhere.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I dunno, I love the blue and orange ones, and I wish my purple one wasn't so dark so I could see it better.

<poor light>
<iPhone pix>

</poor light>
</iPhone pix>

That being said, I'm red/green colourblind so the orange is a light bluish yellow and the pink is a light blue :shrug:. My *shels album is one of I believe 200, and I can't find my Mammoth Grinder LP anywhere online, so I'm assuming it's limited as well. The TBDM album is apparently highly sought for, but it's not going anywhere if I have a say :colbert:.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Im still kicking myself for not getting Plains of the Purple Buffalo.
Mostly just because I effing love that album. Also it looks cool.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I simultaneously weep tears of sorrow and joy every time I listen to it, all while vocalising/screaming at the top of my lungs with the track. The album artwork for this and Laurentian's Atoll is some of the best ever, LA has been my avatar on steam for years. I need to find an LP for that album actually...

After consulting my girlfriend, she informed me that the second disk is a dark maroon/red and not a purple like its brother. Hmm

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

iostream.h posted:

I've been prowling for reissues of some old things and I'm seeing a LOT of pressings out of Korea on eBay. I'm not necessarily worried about getting an original, but what's the quality like? Anyone know?

What kind of reissues are we talking about here? Because if you're in the US and looking for classic rock stuff, a lot of that poo poo is widely available in stores or at the very least US based websites. It's probably best to avoid international shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

ChiTownEddie posted:

Im still kicking myself for not getting Plains of the Purple Buffalo.
Mostly just because I effing love that album. Also it looks cool.

I bought that album before I even had a turntable, just because I knew with all the acclaim it was getting it would be ridiculously hard to find after they'd sold out.

Also pink records own.