Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes Mediahint is great and completely idiot proof, I've been watching loads of Star Trek. Works for Hulu as well as netflix.

WastedJoker posted:

Mediahint or MediaPimp?

Can't find the firefox version

Here- https://mediahint.com/

And the first episode of House of Cards was very good, but I think the slow pace isn't suited for marathoning episodes like the people in the House of Cards thread are doing- half of them have probably finished the whole thing by now so stay away from the thread if you are taking it slow like me. It's a free fire zone for spoilers.

Cerv posted:

Though Elba moved to NY in the 90s because of the lack of roles available to black men in UK TV way back then. Which he has cited racism for.

I stand corrected, was painting too rosy a picture of UK tv's racism. Though it is definitely true that you are a lot more likely to see a black man with a white woman on UKTV than on USTV. That particular pairing really upsets racists, so American film and programme makers tend to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Rondette posted:

:allears: My Mad Fat Diary :allears:

I'm in love.

If you were born in '81, feel a bit emotional, and have been drinking. Maybe best not to watch the three available episodes in one binge.

drat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

marktheando posted:

Works for Hulu as well as netflix.

Motherfucker, I had no idea this was the case.

Looks like it's Hulu time.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
I think this is the place to register my outrage since there doesn't seem to be an advert thread. Has anyone seen the new McDonalds advert, featuring a young boy who's single mother has had her new boyfriend move in? The boyfriend tries but fails in any attempt to relate to the boy, until he buys him a lovely burger made the of the hooves and brain happily provided by the cows McDonalds is slashing and burning the rainforest to fatten up. I think it was the most overtly offensive advert I've ever seen.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2lqFegHLc

Yep, thats pretty awful. So glad I only watch on demand these days, really guys & girls its the way to go. That would have me ranting and raving in disgust. It already has.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

VogeGandire posted:

Motherfucker, I had no idea this was the case.

Looks like it's Hulu time.

I am so angry I have such a lovely internet connection right now, I would have gorged myself on content on one of my old connections, which I was on when they originally sorted it so you couldn't access Hulu from here.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

trashcangammy posted:

I think this is the place to register my outrage since there doesn't seem to be an advert thread. Has anyone seen the new McDonalds advert, featuring a young boy who's single mother has had her new boyfriend move in? The boyfriend tries but fails in any attempt to relate to the boy, until he buys him a lovely burger made the of the hooves and brain happily provided by the cows McDonalds is slashing and burning the rainforest to fatten up. I think it was the most overtly offensive advert I've ever seen.

Really? wow you must get offended constantly by adverts on tv then. Everyone knows Mcdonalds is poo poo fast food, of course they are going to appeal to emotion if their product is poo poo. I think you are being a bit dramatic here saying its incredibly offensive. I assumed it had some racism or sexism in it before i watched it. I doubt ofcom are going to be recieving a slew of complaints over that and the british public love to complain.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

Really? wow you must get offended constantly by adverts on tv then. Everyone knows Mcdonalds is poo poo fast food, of course they are going to appeal to emotion if their product is poo poo. I think you are being a bit dramatic here saying its incredibly offensive. I assumed it had some racism or sexism in it before i watched it. I doubt ofcom are going to be recieving a slew of complaints over that and the british public love to complain.

I do find adverts frequently obnoxious, but rarely would a corporate advertiser, especially one with such dubious business practices and poor reputation among anyone with an IQ over 90, dare to subvert such a sensitive problem faced by hundreds of thousands of families. For a business like McDonalds to present itself as a solution to a kid feeling alienated by his parent's separation is just..

Wow.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

trashcangammy posted:

I do find adverts frequently obnoxious, but rarely would a corporate advertiser, especially one with such dubious business practices and poor reputation among anyone with an IQ over 90, dare to subvert such a sensitive problem faced by hundreds of thousands of families. For a business like McDonalds to present itself as a solution to a kid feeling alienated by his parent's separation is just..

Wow.
Seriously, chill out about it. It's trying to play touchy-feely, like countless adverts have done in the past. I'm guessing you had a severe chip on your shoulder about McDonald's before you saw this advert. If you think a multinational corporation with questionable ethics playing on personal emotions in its adverts is the most overtly offensive thing you can think of on TV, never watch an ad break again because that McDonald's ad doesn't even register on the radar to be honest.

[edit]Those "BT family" adverts have did the exact same thing, years ago.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2013

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

trashcangammy posted:

Wow.

Meal-times and food are often when a family bonds though? Thats universal through all cultures, its less obnoxious than "da-da-da-da-da im lovin it" in my opinion.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2lqFegHLc

Yep, thats pretty awful. So glad I only watch on demand these days, really guys & girls its the way to go. That would have me ranting and raving in disgust. It already has.

I agree to the larger extent, on demand saves you those short bits of life you otherwise spend watching ads. Having gotten used to not watching them, I have to rely on links from friends so I don't miss out gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
One of my friends told me that on demand viewing still only accounts for a tiny proportion of people watching TV, like less than 10%, maybe closer to 5%. Anyone know if that's true or close to true? It seems a bit mental that the vast majority of people still make time to watch stuff as it airs and sit through all the rubbish that you can't help but watch

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I honestly don't know how anyone can watch Hulu.

I installed Mediahint to try it out. There are four minutes of adverts after every 5-8 minutes during an episode. I couldn't stomach it any more after watching only two episodes. I'll never complain about ITV again, and I'd happily pay even more in license fees to keep the BBC ad-free.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Quanta posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can watch Hulu.

I installed Mediahint to try it out. There are four minutes of adverts after every 5-8 minutes during an episode. I couldn't stomach it any more after watching only two episodes. I'll never complain about ITV again, and I'd happily pay even more in license fees to keep the BBC ad-free.
It's bearable to watch new episodes of specific shows (30 Rcok, the Daily Show) but I never just hop over to Hulu and have a browse of something to watch. Sometimes you get lucky and it'll let you choose to watch just one long advert at the start, but otherwise it's probably 6-7 minutes of adverts for a 20 minute program, I can't be bothered.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

One of my friends told me that on demand viewing still only accounts for a tiny proportion of people watching TV, like less than 10%, maybe closer to 5%. Anyone know if that's true or close to true? It seems a bit mental that the vast majority of people still make time to watch stuff as it airs and sit through all the rubbish that you can't help but watch

Some of us have to. I refuse to give money to Sky (my uncle and my pa have a personal feud with Rupert Murdoch, long story), and my area is one of the few in Glasgow that isn't cable/broadband equipped, so I can't get a Virgin or Youview box. I've got a Freeview box built into my telly that gives me about 40 channels and an internet connection that shits a brick if I try to watch anything on BBC iPlayer or 4OD.

You just watch stuff as it takes your fancy, and if you miss a show, tough poo poo (except if the show you miss is on Channel 4, it always gets repeated on 4seven a couple days later).

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Irisi posted:

Some of us have to. I refuse to give money to Sky (my uncle and my pa have a personal feud with Rupert Murdoch, long story), and my area is one of the few in Glasgow that isn't cable/broadband equipped, so I can't get a Virgin or Youview box. I've got a Freeview box built into my telly that gives me about 40 channels and an internet connection that shits a brick if I try to watch anything on BBC iPlayer or 4OD.

You just watch stuff as it takes your fancy, and if you miss a show, tough poo poo (except if the show you miss is on Channel 4, it always gets repeated on 4seven a couple days later).

While I suffer all the same problems as you, including an internet connection too bad to use iPlayer (gently caress you Virgin), I would still rather wait to load something up on putlocker than tune in to poo poo depressing adverts like the McDonald's one posted above.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

It does seem a bit mental. I suppose TV has a lot more competition now than ever before. It used to be that some programmes commanded viewership of 30mil ('86 Eastenders Xmas special) but now it's tough for any one programme to reach 10 mil ('12 Miranda Xmas special). So it somewhat adds to the incredulity of 5%-10%, but it assumes that people still watch TV.

If you take into account that kids nowadays don't watch TV at all, prefering Youtube and other custom content creation. Or indeed just playing games, dicking about on the internet. And add more competition like Sky, as mentioned above. 5%-10% for on demand doesn't look as unlikely.

*Edit - Just found out that 2012 Olympics ceremonies got 24mil or so. So :shrug:

Chunk5 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 3, 2013

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chunk5 posted:

*Edit - Just found out that 2012 Olympics ceremonies got 24mil or so. So :shrug:

I wonder if there will come a time when they start faking reports on viewing figures.
Not for general programs like Eastenders or Coronation Street, but for UK events like the Olympics or a Royal Wedding.

No doubt no TV channel or reporting body would want to report that a third repeat of Midsummer Murder got more viewers than Prince Harry's wedding, as that would be the news for the next week rather than the event itself.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

It's human nature because its not true 'On Demand'.
'On Demand' means only the shows over the last week (two if you are really lucky) are available, not what most people would want or be suitable for true on demand lifestyle.

It's easier and less hassle to remember that Spooks is on at 9pm Mondays (random made up so don't quote me) and to be in front of a TV for it, instead to randomly remember if you caught up with Episode 4 this week or last week go onto the website and see that the fucker isn't available anymore to watch. Now do this with a dozen shows that you watch per week.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

happyhippy posted:

It's easier and less hassle to remember that Spooks is on at 9pm Mondays (random made up so don't quote me) and to be in front of a TV for it, instead to randomly remember if you caught up with Episode 4 this week or last week go onto the website and see that the fucker isn't available anymore to watch. Now do this with a dozen shows that you watch per week.
But then DVR is then even easier than On Demand or live watching.
Tell the Sky+ or Tivio that you always want to watch Spooks and then you'll be able to catch up no matter if you forget to watch it for a a month or longer.

Some of the newer freeview boxes have DVR functionality that can handle things like season passes so even if you don't have Sky or Virgin you can still do that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MrHat posted:

Some of the newer freeview boxes have DVR functionality that can handle things like season passes so even if you don't have Sky or Virgin you can still do that.
The YouView, for example, has "record all" stuff and also has all the on demand players built in.

I have two of them from the trials last year :smug:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Does MediaHint only work with certain sites like Unblock-US does? I just bought a sub to unblock-US to watch the NHL games that are blacked out here because they are on Premier Sports, as well as Netflix. But if MediaHint is good I may just get my money back...

They aren't VPNs, they are some weird DNS redirection thing. So they have to be set up on a per-site basis which is why I'm asking

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

marktheando posted:

I stand corrected, was painting too rosy a picture of UK tv's racism. Though it is definitely true that you are a lot more likely to see a black man with a white woman on UKTV than on USTV. That particular pairing really upsets racists, so American film and programme makers tend to avoid it.

Well, he did make the move 15 years ago. Things have got better since.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

PriorMarcus posted:

Ironically the Netflix model of distribution actually makes it harder to tweak series based on viewer data than it does for a show that is being produced while airing episodes. Sure, Season Two might see some refinement based off that feedback and critic reactions, but that's normal for any series.
With a six episode mini-series like this House of Cards remake it probably wouldn't be produced while airing.

I suspect Netflix will stick to that for now rather than jumping into 26 episode series. And if they don't care about selling into the crazy USA syndication system there's no need to go long for length's sake.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I was going to mention YouView - thanks to this thread, I got one last year as well and it's been excellent for me.

Weirdly enough, when I try to watch On Demand on my computer, the visual is always choppy but via the YouView box it's fine. However, it's rare that I do that - I tend to series link everything I fancy and then watch the episodes at my leisure - usually a marathon at weekends. The exception is Ripper Street, which I try to watch as it airs because people discuss it at work.

This thread is really handy as well, as I would've missed My Big Fat Diary and Utopia, but those shout outs meant that I've been able to catch up.

I think there's a massive difference in how people who are forum regulars and adults in general watch television. People who I know who enjoy posting on the internet tend to prioritise using their computer over watching television - they might have it on as background noise, or they might forget altogether and just DVR things or catch up On Demand later.

People who tend to just check e-mails and search for the odd thing now and again tend to have their computer in the corner / up in the study, and the focus of the living room is the television, which they leave on all night. They might get bored of something and read the paper for a bit or a book etc, but the night is vaguely planned out...and that's who the +1 channels have really helped, as it gives that element of time shifting without the need for a DVR.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

thehustler posted:

Does MediaHint only work with certain sites like Unblock-US does? I just bought a sub to unblock-US to watch the NHL games that are blacked out here because they are on Premier Sports, as well as Netflix. But if MediaHint is good I may just get my money back...

They aren't VPNs, they are some weird DNS redirection thing. So they have to be set up on a per-site basis which is why I'm asking

Yeah, only works with Netflix and Hulu.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm guessing these tricks don't work for Netflix on the PS3 or anything like that. And I'm further guessing that there is no way to get US content on consoles or iPad etc. am I right?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm guessing these tricks don't work for Netflix on the PS3 or anything like that. And I'm further guessing that there is no way to get US content on consoles or iPad etc. am I right?

Unblock US works on consoles and it might work on some tablets. Not sure whether Apple locked out the ability to change DNS on IOS.

Edit: All internet devices would work if you changed the router's DNS entries, of course, but that could be an issue depending on your setup/needs.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 3, 2013

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good news everyone, ITV have commissioned a second series of Splash!

Hey, hey you where are you going?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Good news everyone, ITV have commissioned a second series of Splash!

Hey, hey you where are you going?

They have to commission a second series or admit the first series was gash.

They would never do the latter!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a ratings success. The vast majority of its audience is people that tune in so they can slag it off over Twitter for the rest of the week.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

trashcangammy posted:

Bit old but I used to work for a McDonalds and the meat we used was not only not hooves and brains, but was from Ireland.

To join the echo-chamber, Utopia is brilliant, it is lovely to finally see a dark British drama with a colour palette that moves past "Steel-Blue".

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

The Perfect Element posted:

I watch US Netflix on the PS3 using unblockus. Definitely worth the extra £3 or so a month, as the UK Netflix is pretty poo poo.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

Bit old but I used to work for a McDonalds and the meat we used was not only not hooves and brains, but was from Ireland.
It's also loving delicious, god drat. Do you middle class mongs only buy corn-fed Waitrose / M&S meat or something? In my experience, chickens taste better when they've had to eat all their mates feet in a crowded little cage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

With a six episode mini-series like this House of Cards remake it probably wouldn't be produced while airing.

It's a 13 episode full series, including an already green-lit Season Two. And while your point about that short of a series not being produced while airing stands so does mine about that meaning it can't be tampered with mid-production.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lovechop posted:

It's also loving delicious, god drat. Do you middle class mongs only buy corn-fed Waitrose / M&S meat or something? In my experience, chickens taste better when they've had to eat all their mates feet in a crowded little cage.

My biology teacher always told me that McNuggets were made of intestines and gristle. My reply was always 'damm, then keep them intestines coming'

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
That McDonald's advert is pretty bad, but it doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much as any toothpaste advert where everything's shot at a loving Dutch angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsuN2dUGSwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZGR7eGC-s

gently caress those adverts, gently caress Sensodyne and Colgate, and the rest of them too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The current McDonalds advert sucks too.

He texted me back saying "See you later" - what does that even mean?

:fuckoff:

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
The McDonalds ad with the new dad would be quite sweet... if the "punchline" had been anything other than "McDonalds".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Rarity posted:

My biology teacher always told me that McNuggets were made of intestines and gristle. My reply was always 'damm, then keep them intestines coming'

Exactly. And if you pay an extra 20p for their smokey BBQ sauce (usually only available if you're splashing out on the fancypants Chicken Selects) even the poorest quality intestines will taste delicious. I remember when there was that rumour going around about there being cow's eyes blended up in the milkshakes. What a great secret ingredient that would be.