Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Rarity posted:

The next NPC to send me halfway across the North Downs to talk to Mincham is getting an arrow shoved up where the sun don't shine :argh:

Have you gone by Idalene yet? How about shoving an arrow up her sun-don't-shine instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

daggerdragon posted:

Have you gone by Idalene yet? How about shoving an arrow up her sun-don't-shine instead?

Tra-la-la-traily-la!!!

...I beat her to death with my drum...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rarity posted:

The next NPC to send me halfway across the North Downs to talk to Mincham is getting an arrow shoved up where the sun don't shine :argh:

So the other half dozen who send you there afterwards will be safe? :smuggo:

ND is pretty bad though, if they revamp it in to a 25-35 range, it'd be great and give an extra option for people not wanting to do all of LL or Evendim each time.

e: vvvv Fornost could be redone however, although right now it's pretty out of place. It'd definitely need some love and a facelift either way.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 2, 2013

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Evil Fluffy posted:

So the other half dozen who send you there afterwards will be safe? :smuggo:

ND is pretty bad though, if they revamp it in to a 25-35 range, it'd be great and give an extra option for people not wanting to do all of LL or Evendim each time.

You discard fornost though. ND is like a 20-40 zone but the quest levels don't flow. The zone hasn't been touched since launch. Technically, quests were nerfed a little but it's still the same as launch. Those may notice that you quickly outlevel quests or there is a weird gap in some quest levels. Leveling was a slower at launch so you can get a small glimpse into the past.

palkjdg
Feb 20, 2006
My character name is Aegisa. Could I get an invite when an officer gets a chance?

--Nevermind. Invited already. Thanks--

palkjdg fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 2, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Speaking of Fornost, anyone game for a visit tomorrow (Sunday)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LSP7zFIWX0

Starting 6PM GMT, 10:00AM Pacific / 1:00PM Eastern let's do some Fornost!

You'll need either VIP or Northdowns access to join. Let's do the instances even many old timers have never been in more than a single time!

I will be grabbing the Fornost related quests I can find (I dropped like 2-3 back in the day), but since Northdowns has many long chains of quests I don't know how many I'll be able to share. This will probably be a mixed level group so don't expect too much of a challenge (if any). This is more of a casual stroll through Fornost.

Quests to get:

The Forgotten Company
The Darkness Within

Quest chain leading to Fornost: The Black Tide of Angmar -> Shattering the Alliance -> Captains of the Black Tide (fellowship!) -> Orcs of the Blood Mountains (fellowship!) ->
Master of the Black Tide -> A Leader Unveiled

Free the Fallen -> Captain Riamul
The Iron Collar -> A Collar for the King

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 2, 2013

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
Yeah... About Fornost... Totally not worth it anymore. Used to be awesome, got hosed over by the devs, and it's just crap now. I even advice people to not go anymore. It used to be my favorite too...

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Whether it's worth it or not is really not the point. You happen to be the only person I've ever met who can claim they've ever liked Fornost, though.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
My kin leader is actually with me on the Fornost thing. Most of my kin actually. It was a great instance, very fun at level, and not too easy. I miss it.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Was just a lot of walking/riding in white nothingness to me...

Even the story wasn't all that great, hmmm we don't know you white man...prove to us you are a friend...blah

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

WindowLiquor posted:

Yeah... About Fornost... Totally not worth it anymore. Used to be awesome, got hosed over by the devs, and it's just crap now. I even advice people to not go anymore. It used to be my favorite too...
I've played through all of Fornost only once, before they changed it. It was actually pretty good for what it was, but no one had the incentive to run it due to the North Downs having such a lovely quest chain structure. It was a pain in the rear end to get enough people together to actually run it, and this is on Landroval- the game's second biggest server.

Oxphocker posted:

Was just a lot of walking/riding in white nothingness to me...

Even the story wasn't all that great, hmmm we don't know you white man...prove to us you are a friend...blah

Lol, we're talking about the Fornost instances in the North Downs, but I wholly agree with your observations that the entire zone of Forochel sucks rear end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Forochel wasn't that bad to level in. Works better than MM or Angmar in the low 40s.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Misty Mountains just seems like a waste of a zone. Was it more important during SoA or was it always pretty pointless?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

This is how I spent GA:

And the splashing! Oh the splashing. Constant splashing while in the air.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Misty Mountains just seems like a waste of a zone. Was it more important during SoA or was it always pretty pointless?

I'm not sure if it was ever super important to the leveling process but was at least a source of alternate content in to progress through. In the 40-50 range there was only Misty Mountains and Angmar.

Helegrod is also in Misty Mountains, a raid.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Got back into this today, was surprised to see I had 5 gifts for being a premium member for 5 years! lol. Brought a Elf Hunter up to lvl 15. I think I might stick around this time.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

I'm not sure if it was ever super important to the leveling process but was at least a source of alternate content in to progress through. In the 40-50 range there was only Misty Mountains and Angmar.

Helegrod is also in Misty Mountains, a raid.

I took my first character to 50 (the original level cap for those unaware) back in 2007 before Forochel was released, so Misty Mountains was a lot more important back then. Helegrod was some of the original end-game content along with Carn Dum and the Rift of Nurz Ghashu in Angmar. Misty Mountains is also home to Goblin Town, which I think everyone should visit at least once.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

Friends don't let friends do North Downs quests

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain
Made it to Moria on my captain and holy poo poo, I knew they'd revamped it but I never knew it could be so much fun! I enjoyed playing Moria on my original guardian mainly because I could mow down entire rooms in tank mode and I have a hard on for dwarven lore stuff, but I was kind of dreading it on my captain with his two aoe attacks. Between being handed a goat within minutes of arriving, the new mob density and the quest design (that "drink to the fallen" quest actually teleporting you between camps in a drunken haze and letting you pick up travel points is absolute genius) I think this might actually be my favorite area in any MMO.

Basically if anyone is lingering in the 40s feeling the grind mount up, push forward because it's totally worth it.

Would any higher level captains care to weigh in on skirmish soldiers? Now that I'm almost at the ones I genuinely love (Mirkwood) I'm trying to decide what would work best. My gut instinct says warrior to make up for my lack of aoe while soloing, but I hear a lot of people talking about stacking an archer soldier and the archer herald for maximum single target and rapid fire defeat response skills.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

Mandragora posted:

Would any higher level captains care to weigh in on skirmish soldiers? Now that I'm almost at the ones I genuinely love (Mirkwood) I'm trying to decide what would work best. My gut instinct says warrior to make up for my lack of aoe while soloing, but I hear a lot of people talking about stacking an archer soldier and the archer herald for maximum single target and rapid fire defeat response skills.

I've tried both, and archer + archer is my favorite by far. You use the archers to mow the mobs down one at a time so you get periodic rally cries to keep your health up, and you use your heal aggro plus pressing attack to tank the rest while your archer pew pews them one at a time. You don't want them all to die at once- you want at least one dying each time your rc cooldown comes up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Regarding Misty Mountains - I thought it was an awesome zone.

For anyone who isn't up to those levels yet, the quality of the zone to you really depends on what you like. Misty Mountains is just okay from a quest-flow perspective, but from an atmosphere perspective, I loved it.

I've now finished all the solo quests in all zones of the launch content, and the only zone that I didn't enjoy for the most part was North Downs. And even it had a lot of good stuff in it too, I just should've gave up on trying to do the fellowship quests earlier.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandragora posted:

Made it to Moria on my captain and holy poo poo, I knew they'd revamped it but I never knew it could be so much fun! I enjoyed playing Moria on my original guardian mainly because I could mow down entire rooms in tank mode and I have a hard on for dwarven lore stuff, but I was kind of dreading it on my captain with his two aoe attacks. Between being handed a goat within minutes of arriving, the new mob density and the quest design (that "drink to the fallen" quest actually teleporting you between camps in a drunken haze and letting you pick up travel points is absolute genius) I think this might actually be my favorite area in any MMO.

Basically if anyone is lingering in the 40s feeling the grind mount up, push forward because it's totally worth it.

And then you get stuck there until you're in the late 50s and it's tedious as gently caress.

Gonna sue Turbine for false advertising re: lothlorien.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xZAOx posted:

I've now finished all the solo quests in all zones of the launch content, and the only zone that I didn't enjoy for the most part was North Downs. And even it had a lot of good stuff in it too, I just should've gave up on trying to do the fellowship quests earlier.

I solo all my fellowship quests like a boss :smug:

Oh god Dol Dinen's coming up :gonk:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rarity posted:

I solo all my fellowship quests like a boss :smug:

Oh god Dol Dinen's coming up :gonk:

Heh, Dol Dinen in particular is where it quit being fun, when I had to gray them out to even try.

Good luck with that Z dude way at the back, up the mountain in the tent....

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

Hysterix posted:

I've tried both, and archer + archer is my favorite by far. You use the archers to mow the mobs down one at a time so you get periodic rally cries to keep your health up, and you use your heal aggro plus pressing attack to tank the rest while your archer pew pews them one at a time. You don't want them all to die at once- you want at least one dying each time your rc cooldown comes up.

Yeah, that does sound good, particularly now that I've finally got access to LIs and can machine gun rallying cry for infinite mana. What kind of traits do you usually set your skirm archer up with? It's one of the few soldiers I don't have much experience with since it never synchronized well with my guard.

sassassin posted:

And then you get stuck there until you're in the late 50s and it's tedious as gently caress.

Gonna sue Turbine for false advertising re: lothlorien.

I could play an entire game set in the crumbling labyrinths of a dwarven kingdom, I dread having to step out into the stupid sunshine to pal around with elves. :black101:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It sounds like they turned one of the most annoying Moria quests (Drink for the Fallen) into one of the awesomest ones.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Is there really no way to learn mount riding other than to pay real money for lotro coins or whatever?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheJetCityFix posted:

Is there really no way to learn mount riding other than to pay real money for lotro coins or whatever?

It's easy to get 95 TP from doing deeds in your starting zone.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

TheJetCityFix posted:

If you have VIP you can do a quest at level 20 in north Bree-land.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Fornost visit got hosed over by bugs. 2nd instance wasn't giving the necessary quest required to unlock the next branch. We'll have to try it next week.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Is it just me or are warhorses even more poo poo than they were at launch?

They don't just wear ice skates now but seem to be attached by bungee cord to random bits of scenery. Keep seeing enemies I'm in combat with running in a random direction away from me, only to have my horse bounce into the same direction as if on a piece of elastic.

Think I might give up on them until/if they ever get fixed somehow.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My experience varies widely. Sometimes it works great, other times I'll slingshot across the world way past where I was going.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Hey guys, I got this game when it came out and then took a 5 year hiatus. After seeing The Hobbit I became giggly and obsessed with the Tolkien universe again.

I'm in the process of transferring my character to Silverlode. I'd like to join the guild.

My character name is 'Endrid'

EDIT: Apparently they gave me a FREE loving HORSE

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Blackdog420 posted:

Hey guys, I got this game when it came out and then took a 5 year hiatus. After seeing The Hobbit I became giggly and obsessed with the Tolkien universe again.

I'm in the process of transferring my character to Silverlode. I'd like to join the guild.

I did the same thing, and I was pretty stoked to get the horse. Hope to see you in game!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mandragora posted:

I could play an entire game set in the crumbling labyrinths of a dwarven kingdom, I dread having to step out into the stupid sunshine to pal around with elves. :black101:

There is a roguelike just for you!

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Blackdog420 posted:

You can also have some exclusive 5-year decoration on your portrait. Right click and there should be an option there.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, for the 5th anniversary people were given frames and you can have 1 leaf per year.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

mr_jolly posted:

Is it just me or are warhorses even more poo poo than they were at launch?

They don't just wear ice skates now but seem to be attached by bungee cord to random bits of scenery. Keep seeing enemies I'm in combat with running in a random direction away from me, only to have my horse bounce into the same direction as if on a piece of elastic.

Think I might give up on them until/if they ever get fixed somehow.

It's been that way for me since the expansion came out. They supposedly fixed the rubber banding crap back in like December but obviously didn't. I rarely have any rubber banding issues outside of towns, but outside the speed of the mount makes the game stutter like mad. It seems like the LOTRO engine can't handle the speed at which the war-steeds are moving. Inside town I rubber band and fling all over the place when I try to jump over fences.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I find war-steed are not as smooth as regular horse and do experience rubber banding sometime but I never had it that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So a long time ago I made a bunch of alts because the game was just going F2P and making them meant having things like fast travel unlocked on them. However checking a couple of the characters now, they don't have any quests available to them, nor do any NPCs seem to have markers showing that they've got quests to offer. Anyone ever come across something like this? Also when you go VIP does it also permanently unlock Fast Travel for any characters created/used at that time or does that have to be bought when you drop off of VIP?

• Locked thread