Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BBJoey posted:

Are you sure this was a bug?

Considering how that screenshot of Great Old Srbja was all the AI's doing, including the 350+ infamy, the only thing I'm sure of is that my computer is possessed.

Also, the system for the Mongols where they spawn with a single province and eventually become settled as regular countries, including the adoption of a major religion, would work well enough for the dark ages migration. Just mix that up with the system that turns Anglo-Saxons into English and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

The churches were pretty damned separate long before the Great Schism. It's symbolically important but really just confirmed what had already been a de facto split for centuries.

I imagine this is why 867 was chosen (unless there's some other Viking-related event that's significant) - 867 was the date of an ecumenical council in Constantinople that was rejected by the Pope. While there had been a lot of political ill will between Rome and Constantinople since the time of Justinian or before, 867 is really the earliest date that modelling Catholic and Orthodox as entirely separate works well. Technically, the Pope should still be able to excommunicate Orthodox characters and the same for the Patriarch and Catholic characters, but that's easily sacrificed for gameplay.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Jazerus posted:

I imagine this is why 867 was chosen (unless there's some other Viking-related event that's significant) - 867 was the date of an ecumenical council in Constantinople that was rejected by the Pope. While there had been a lot of political ill will between Rome and Constantinople since the time of Justinian or before, 867 is really the earliest date that modelling Catholic and Orthodox as entirely separate works well. Technically, the Pope should still be able to excommunicate Orthodox characters and the same for the Patriarch and Catholic characters, but that's easily sacrificed for gameplay.
It's probably because Basil the Macedonian was crowned that year. Need to satisfy the Byzantophiles! :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jazerus posted:

You could make it so that Orthodox characters like a Catholic excommunicated Orthodox character more when it happens, :smug:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think one of the biggest reasons they haven't done such a game yet would be the difficulty in handling migrations in their game engine. I mean, mass cultural migrations where entire kingdoms were on the move, not just relatively the simple immigration in V2. They would have to redo how the engine handles a lot of different things. It just may not be compatible with Clausewitz at all. I hope they do a Migration Period game, too.

They would also need to represent the rise and fall of the Carolingian Empire, too. Maybe not in that game, but in CK2? Or maybe in yet another separate game? With those two additions, we'd have more or less the complete history of western civilization.

With an older engine I might have agreed with you that it can't really be done. However with CK2's engine it strikes me as do-able. I mean land-less characters already exist, and are cpaable of recieving land or even kingdoms. I'm not sure but I think landless characters can even lead armies in ck2. That solves most of the horde problem there. Even a fairly :effort: ordeal like creating a faction called "Natives" that inherits all vacated land by migrating hordes. Even more, landless hordes ARE a think in ck2, aztecs and mongols as the prime examples. Relatively do-able!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quantumfate posted:

With an older engine I might have agreed with you that it can't really be done. However with CK2's engine it strikes me as do-able. I mean land-less characters already exist, and are cpaable of recieving land or even kingdoms. I'm not sure but I think landless characters can even lead armies in ck2. That solves most of the horde problem there. Even a fairly :effort: ordeal like creating a faction called "Natives" that inherits all vacated land by migrating hordes. Even more, landless hordes ARE a think in ck2, aztecs and mongols as the prime examples. Relatively do-able!

Except the migrating peoples weren't landless. They occupied large swathes of land at any given time, occasionally staying behind to set up permanent settlements. I think using landless characters leading armies would be an extremely poor representation of what a migrating population actually is. The way Mongols and Aztecs were handled also wouldn't work, those two were just ever-increasing blobs, nothing more.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, a 400-900 CE or so game would be truly badass. Maybe make the Byzantines unplayable as they're still basically Rome and focus the mechanics entirely on the migrations & settlements.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Islamic conquests would be either hilariously overpowered or hilariously weak.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Mans posted:

The Islamic conquests would be either hilariously overpowered or hilariously weak.

There should be a chance that a Islam-Equivalent could instead come from Ireland or the Baltic, just to keep players on their toes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Escapist just released this EU4 article, this time talking about multi-player.

Not sure which of these already exist in EU3, but touted features are:
* Up to 32 players can join in on a game
* "Hot joins", where players can drop in and out of games as it just runs
* Standalone (dedicated?) servers so you can just host a game and leave it running as players drop in and out through the days
* Multiple customizable chat windows so you can have private conspiracies conversations across any number of the guys playing

Having said that, the article does say the games were being played through a LAN.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

gradenko_2000 posted:

* Standalone (dedicated?) servers so you can just host a game and leave it running as players drop in and out through the days

Welcome to the [SRB] Official Clan Server!!!

*No swearing
*No griefing
*No France or Ming camping
*Only 1v1 duels, no alliances allowed

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Except the migrating peoples weren't landless. They occupied large swathes of land at any given time, occasionally staying behind to set up permanent settlements. I think using landless characters leading armies would be an extremely poor representation of what a migrating population actually is. The way Mongols and Aztecs were handled also wouldn't work, those two were just ever-increasing blobs, nothing more.

There were problems to be sure, however the Mongol and Aztec hordes did prove the exchange capable of handling the issue. Im also not sure why a modest horde of barbarian peoples can't be represented by unplanned characters. As a mechanical aspect that is. Or rather I fail too see how that serves as a limitation on representing migratory culture. Paradox could just do events for the hordes where they have a choice to settle swathes of land they conquer granting them a claim on, or access to territory similar to the duchy formation choice in ck2. If the horde colleagues to press on rather than settle, let the land be transferred to a small ruler of similar culture to the house but not pay of the corpus of the invaders. I think a fluid system where your capitol is not tied to your land or city and represented a final defeat if it were lost would make a migration era game cool

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Again I point to Great Invasions, sorry for the typo earlier. I never really got into it myself, but it has a ton of interesting concepts and seemed to at least try to tackle the issue well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cantorsdust posted:

Welcome to the [SRB] Official Clan Server!!!

*No swearing
*No griefing
*No France or Ming camping
*Only 1v1 duels, no alliances allowed
Oh god I'm getting horrible visions of all kinds of ridiculous bullshit rules like you would find in Jedi Knight and Red Orchestra servers.

I think it'd be cool if you could password-lock your country, so you can hand it off to your friend on the other side of the world while you're off working without fear that some other guy is loving it all up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quantumfate posted:

There were problems to be sure, however the Mongol and Aztec hordes did prove the exchange capable of handling the issue. Im also not sure why a modest horde of barbarian peoples can't be represented by unplanned characters. As a mechanical aspect that is. Or rather I fail too see how that serves as a limitation on representing migratory culture. Paradox could just do events for the hordes where they have a choice to settle swathes of land they conquer granting them a claim on, or access to territory similar to the duchy formation choice in ck2. If the horde colleagues to press on rather than settle, let the land be transferred to a small ruler of similar culture to the house but not pay of the corpus of the invaders. I think a fluid system where your capitol is not tied to your land or city and represented a final defeat if it were lost would make a migration era game cool

Well, I have a few problems with that approach. The migrants were more than just soldiers, they had enormous amounts of civilians. They kind of brought their whole economies with them. They produced lots of goods, traded in coin, and for all intents and purposes, were actual countries that just kind of moved around. It just sort of feels wrong to represent that with an army. They also took up more than just a single province at any given times, sometimes settling whole regions before picking up and moving again. And also, my idea of a Paradox army is one that is able to move around province to province in days or in the most extreme cases, a couple months. This just doesn't really jive well with how migratory tribes moved. I guess the issue here is that you're treating them like they were just hordes, constantly roving and plundering, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Beamed posted:

Again I point to Great Invasions, sorry for the typo earlier. I never really got into it myself, but it has a ton of interesting concepts and seemed to at least try to tackle the issue well.

I love how that 2005 game has graphics on par with Europa Universalis 1. :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A Steppe Wolfe public server would be the greatest thing ever - except that given how fragile the SP is, a MP Wolfe game would go back in time and make your computer crash before it even booted.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Is there a good learning LP for Vicky 2? I picked it up along with it's expansion on one of the sales a while back, and finally got around to trying to play it. I've done the tutorials, read the strategy guide, etc etc and I have literally no idea what's going on.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dilber posted:

Is there a good learning LP for Vicky 2? I picked it up along with it's expansion on one of the sales a while back, and finally got around to trying to play it. I've done the tutorials, read the strategy guide, etc etc and I have literally no idea what's going on.

Also, should I start with any mods or learn vanilla first?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

nothing to seehere posted:

I like the a pop divided mod. It just makes the game a little more better I guess.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

New Nations Mod doesn't really alter game balance, it just adds some nice stuff. Other than that, the only mod I really like is /vg/'s Napoleon's Legacy mod, pictured below. Divergences used to be the cool thing for base vicky, not sure about the AHD port.

APD makes Vicky significantly easier with its changes to the economy, but it's also an enjoyable experience, though maybe only after you learn the game.

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 3, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I mentioned this in my thread, but the big thread needs to hear the news, too.

There's a new Steppe Wolfe, more glorious than any wolfe that's prowled the steppe before. It's not even truly a wolfe at all, but rather a glorious phoenix(e?)!

http://air.000space.com/index.php/en/forum/phoenix-mod/41-phoenix-general-information

(As a sidenote, since when has Steppe Wolfe become a 23-man project?)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The greatest marketing pitch:

quote:

Phoenix mod is based on Steppe Wolf mod, but unlike its predecessor, Phoenix mod, won't crash on loadingscreen (if you play Phoenix over original Europa Universalis III: Divine Winds v. 5.1 from 22 July 2011 and not in Steam)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NihilCredo posted:

The greatest marketing pitch:

You seem to have misquoted.

quote:

[...]restoring ancient empires such as Rome and Alexander the Great - Macedonia (thought for history accuracy ancient Macedonians in the game are from Illiric culture, not Greek).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What? Won't crash upon loading? Truly a next gen experience.

It sounds very promising:

quote:

The only way to found out your limits is to cross the boundaries of your own mind! Who said Rome can't wait until the Age of Renaissance or that China should be dominated by Manchu instead of Khan Dynasty?! Phoenix game would gave you the power of ruler, challenged with the survival of his (her) state, internal and political problems.

I've been looking for a game to give me the power of ruler.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

You seem to have misquoted.

To be fair there is some justification for Macedon being not Greek, the classical Greeks didn't really consider macedon properly Greek.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Escapist just released this EU4 article, this time talking about multi-player.

Not sure which of these already exist in EU3, but touted features are:
* Up to 32 players can join in on a game
* "Hot joins", where players can drop in and out of games as it just runs
* Multiple customizable chat windows so you can have private conspiracies conversations across any number of the guys playing

Having said that, the article does say the games were being played through a LAN.

Assuming this works (or I can get it to work) over the internet normally it sounds pretty drat awesome. EU3 had none of these things, no paradox game had them and was a huge hindrance to multiplayer games as even one person crashing or disconnecting meant everyone had to leave and come back and rehost.

Unless of course the checksums change once hosted and then its useless.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

post="412170122" posted:

[...]restoring ancient empires such as Rome and Alexander the Great - Macedonia (thought for history accuracy ancient Macedonians in the game are from Illiric culture, not Greek).

Patch notes 1.34:
* Corrected Jesus Christ's culture to Bulgarian

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shorter Than Some posted:

To be fair there is some justification for Macedon being not Greek, the classical Greeks didn't really consider macedon properly Greek.

Greek enough to be allowed to participate in the olympics.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I haven't said much positive about Steppe Wolfe, so I will say this: Phoenix's map is absolutely gorgeous. They took the land provinces from V2 and the ocean provinces from Can Omer's EU3 map.

donzwei
Jun 20, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Could also be that they choose the date due to the fact that the vikings raided the English town of York in 867 and aftarwards began to colonize England

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Just... stop. Please. For all of us. :smith:

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Beamed posted:

Uh Ok... I didn't realise it was such a sore issue.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Uh Ok... I didn't realise it was such a sore issue.

Balkan nationalism is *always* a sore issue. Go look up a tangentially related youtube video and stare at some comments (for example, Iron Maiden's Alexander the Great, or any of the tupac serbia videos).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

Besides, it's a well known fact that Alexander was actually a Turk.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
East vs. West has a really piss looking map, but I suppose it's either not final or I'll come to like it. Have we gotten very much information from east vs. west at all?

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

The Greeks were not of one mind about this--dig up Isocrates' letters to Philip II.

Even if the Greeks had unanimously agreed that the Macedons were barbarians, though, that's not really a meaningful standard for modern people to use. We go by linguistic and cultural evidence, which indicates that while the Macedons may have been a non-Greek people originally, they were thoroughly Hellenized by the time they appear in the historical record.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

telcontar posted:

The Greeks were not of one mind about this--dig up Isocrates' letters to Philip II.

Even if the Greeks had unanimously agreed that the Macedons were barbarians, though, that's not really a meaningful standard for modern people to use. We go by linguistic and cultural evidence, which indicates that while the Macedons may have been a non-Greek people originally, they were thoroughly Hellenized by the time they appear in the historical record.

I should clarify that I didn't mean that they were right to make them not Greek, simply that it wasn't as ridiculous as it might at first seem, since to most people Alexander is pretty much the archetypal Greek. I didn't realise people were talking about one of those nationalist mods, just thought it was a regular lovely mod.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I hope that Yugoslavia will have Macedonia as a possible revolter in East vs West. The Paradox forums would explode :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It would be hilarious if they tried to include it while remaining politically correct and Yugoslavian provinces had cores belonging to "FYROM".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

YF-23 posted:

It would be hilarious if they tried to include it while remaining politically correct and Yugoslavian provinces had cores belonging to "FYROM".

...In the middle of Greek Macedonia. :allears:

• Locked thread