Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sick_Boy posted:

Also, he keeps using music I like on his show and that angers me.

I have also been listening to the Young Turks, and I'm not sure how to feel about Cenk Uygur. I tend to agree with him on many issues, but his shouting "Of course!!" and general tone make me feel like he's rather unlikable. Plus he has been a bit of a dick to the female co-host on several occasions, good thing she called him on it.

I only really watch Young Turks for Ana Kasparian. She's sexy, sharp, intelligent, and takes reasonable stances on issues. She's also apparently pretty chill about the fact that for some bizarre reason foot fetishists have bumped up "ana kasparian feet" to the first automatic search term on google.

Don't think she's into that herself, but she seems to take it as a compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I only really watch Young Turks for Ana Kasparian. She's sexy, sharp, intelligent, and takes reasonable stances on issues. She's also apparently pretty chill about the fact that for some bizarre reason foot fetishists have bumped up "ana kasparian feet" to the first automatic search term on google.

Don't think she's into that herself, but she seems to take it as a compliment.

I remember once she pretty much told those who said she only has the job because she's attractive to go suck it. That said, I wonder if there's a Beauty and Beast thing going on, or rather, if it was a deliberate choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on TYT, I'm just trying to figure out why I am so conflicted about them. I have to respect any man that invites Jones to his show and is as nice as Cenk was to him, and then agrees to go to Alex's show as well.

I think one of the best insights into the Right Wing Bubble, even if not explicitly about the media side, is Matt Taibbi's The Great Derangement. The whole double life in Texas part is amazing.

EDIT: This is a bit dry. Have some entertainment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdOTcFEQT-o

Sick_Boy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 3, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

It's already been dubbed Skeetgate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYH7_GzP4Tg

From a bit ago, but please God let this continue to gather steam and dumb nicknames that include the word "skeet". Give me this one, Conservative Media.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spacedad posted:

he apologized to her during the program and changed his behavior.

Have any of the big right wing media names ever offered a sincere contrite apology about anything? The biggest recent example I can think of is the Sandra Fluke thing that caused Rush, the right in general, and the GOP in particular a LOT of problems and arguably had some impact on the elections. Did he even apologize for something as offensive as that? As in, "I was wrong, folks, simple as that, I shouldn't have used that kind of language, I realize it's offensive and I am sincerely sorry"? As opposed to "sorry if anyone took offense, we'll be right back after these messages"?

I mean a big part of the appeal and posture is to be as big an rear end in a top hat as possible and never EVER apologize, the more you piss off those libtards the more we love ya, but there has to be SOME kind of limit doesn't there?

I didn't know the thing you mentioned about Cenk, but I remember when Ed Schultz called Laura Ingraham an attention whore or some kind of whore or something similar, he apologized immediately and sincerely on the air.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zwabu posted:

I didn't know the thing you mentioned about Cenk, but I remember when Ed Schultz called Laura Ingraham an attention whore or some kind of whore or something similar, he apologized immediately and sincerely on the air.

It's because they are all attention whores.

I was on the ghost town of YTMND yesterday and found this gem:

http://blitzer.ytmnd.com/

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
We've reached peak Skeet: 'Photo of Obama Shooting Skeet Complete Fraud, like his Presidency'

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The people claiming the photo is fake, are we calling them Skeeters?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Would a shotgun like that have ports on the sides? I don't know much about guns but I figured ports are usually pointing up so the vented gases help keep the muzzle from rising. Anyone?

I've looked closely at the picture, I can't tell if those ports are part of a side-by-side system or just all across the top half of the barrel.
Actually I feel stupid even looking into it. This is absolutely stupid, isn't it?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 4, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you fake something so mundane? It'd be like if they took great lengths to create a fake picture of obama eating a hamburger.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I imagine this is the chopped up version; the full version shows him at a terrorist training camp. :jihad:

Warchicken posted:

Why would you fake something so mundane? It'd be like if they took great lengths to create a fake picture of obama eating a hamburger.

That sounds like a Paul Ryan thing.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Warchicken posted:

Well, when Obama eats a hamburger, they're too busy criticizing his condiment of choice to be bothered with anything else.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Zwabu posted:

Have any of the big right wing media names ever offered a sincere contrite apology about anything? The biggest recent example I can think of is the Sandra Fluke thing that caused Rush, the right in general, and the GOP in particular a LOT of problems and arguably had some impact on the elections. Did he even apologize for something as offensive as that? As in, "I was wrong, folks, simple as that, I shouldn't have used that kind of language, I realize it's offensive and I am sincerely sorry"? As opposed to "sorry if anyone took offense, we'll be right back after these messages"?

I mean a big part of the appeal and posture is to be as big an rear end in a top hat as possible and never EVER apologize, the more you piss off those libtards the more we love ya, but there has to be SOME kind of limit doesn't there?

Pretty much everyone in the media says stupid things and has stupid moments - but whereas Left wingers or moderates (even center-right) people tend to apologize, extremist right wingers tend to double-down when they say something stupid. A lot of them are essentially just professional bullies so they have no interest in apologizing unless their wallet or election results are affected. Some of them are even unapologetic to the point of self-destruction too.

RetroHelix posted:

Well, when Obama eats a hamburger, they're too busy criticizing his condiment of choice to be bothered with anything else.

quote:

: "What kind of man orders a cheeseburger without ketchup but Dijon mustard? ... The guy orders a cheeseburger without ketchup? What is that?"

Oh, I dunno; "someone trying to cut down on sugar in their diet" or who "finds that ketchup ruins the flavor of a drat good burger"?

Petty piddling-rear end garbage.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 4, 2013

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Dr. Faustus posted:

Would a shotgun like that have ports on the sides? I don't know much about guns but I figured ports are usually pointing up so the vented gases help keep the muzzle from rising. Anyone?

It's meant to reduce recoil, actually. Break actions kick like a mule. Unlike semi-automatics, when the barrel is sealed, it's basically a big tube with an explosion in one end and a hole in the other. The semi-automatic's action will suck down some of the kick. Break actions like the one Obama has? Right to the shoulder. This porting will reduce kick, while not measurably decreasing the speed of the shotcup as it comes out. And yes, it's in both barrels. Break-actions are considered more pure than semi-automatics, which are a considerable step above pump actions, as far as these things go.

You shoot shotguns slightly differently from rifles. For one thing, you're swinging it in a solid arc when shooting. For another, you jerk the trigger, you don't squeeze it slowly. Things are going to move when you pull that trigger, the important thing is to control it, and you can. Vertical venting is not so much of an issue, given the other directions involved.

As far as that article is concerned: The smoke thing is bullshit, but he's right, that specific photo is most probably not Obama shooting the sport skeet, though it probably is him shooting individual skeet, or clay pigeons. The giveaway is the lack of choke on the second barrel. My opinion remains: Fuckit, he's having fun, who the hell cares?

I have to wonder if that's his gun or the Presidential Shotgun They Keep At Camp David. It's right on that line of exactly good enough that no visiting dignitary would be offended by it, if they were an avid shooter. Everyone in the White House and the Supreme Court seems to like their shooting, after all. Kagan went with Scalia, as I recall, and had a good time.

I do hope my educational asides on shooting are useful. I don't care to discuss the politics of the matter, simply the practicalities and facts for the better education of people who may not be so familiar.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It's funny about right wingers making a total nothing issue like the shotgun photo into some kind of tempest in a teapot, when Sarah Palin wasn't even able to work the bolt on her own drat rifle (her DAD does it for her) in the "caribou hunting" scene on her own drat reality show, suggesting the whole thing about her being a hunting, moose skinning mama is possibly complete bullshit and that she may possibly have not even ever held or fired such a weapon before. Whatever the reality of the situation with Palin, you'd think they'd at least get as excited about something that sets off the bullshit meter so much if they care so much about things being fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Xx4DXkYk&t=39s

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Also, Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face with buckshot, while hunting flightless birds that were kept in a pen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AsInHowe posted:

Also, Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face with buckshot, while hunting flightless birds that were kept in a pen.

There is a 99% chance that Dick Cheney has an island where he hunts people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait is the 'presidential gun they keep at Camp David' a thing or just you wondering due to how nice the gun is? I have no idea how that place works so it wouldn't be surprising if they had all the gear just there, I just never heard of it before.

Also 'presidential gun' sounds like something out of a terrible spy movie and I love it.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

AsInHowe posted:

While drunk. Seriously.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Badera posted:

While drunk. Seriously.

And the guy he shot apologized to him.

Wikipedia posted:

Whittington was subsequently discharged from the hospital on February 17, 2006. At a press conference, he said: "My family and I are deeply sorry for everything Vice President Cheney and his family have had to deal with. We hope that he will continue to come to Texas and seek the relaxation that he deserves."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

I do hope my educational asides on shooting are useful. I don't care to discuss the politics of the matter, simply the practicalities and facts for the better education of people who may not be so familiar.
That's cool, I was looking for that kind of information.
I am still absolutely floored by the conspiracies that some people have. Hillary has a blood clot in her head. Oh, how convenient! There's no consideration of, "Why would you lie about something that could so easily be discovered?"

Obama suddenly produces a picture of him "shooting skeet?!" "Oh, this is a clear photoshop because I can tell by the smoke and the fact that there's not a skeet stand over his shoulder and you don't see any recoil it's another fake... like his Presidency!!"

It boggles my mind. I just lost my best and longest friend from High School (Class of 1989) because the Facebook echo chamber taught him that Obama watched live video in glee while "the greatest tragedy since 9/11" took place in Benghazi. When I tried to talk him off the ledge he (again, my best friend of all those years) told me he was sick of me always "having to be right" and "propagandizing for Obama" when "the truth is right under my nose;" and if I ever challenge him on his facts again "the repercussions are totally on me." And that was it. Relationship: severed.
He's completely lost to me now and, while it breaks my heart, I'm more concerned for his mental health than our friendship.

I'm sure he buys SkeetGate 100%. Because Obama something something.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I know it probably won't make you feel any better, but know that you didn't do anything wrong. When a person resorts to implicating violent threats against you for your opinions, it's just best to count it as a loss and move on. There's no reasoning with people like that because they have quite truly made the conscious choice to stop being reasonable.

When the discussion over Glen Beck, Hannity, and the rest comes up, these are the types of scenarios I think of to justify my intense dislike of these people. They actively promote an incredibly dangerous way of thinking (I use that term loosely) and these sorts of results are natural outcomes when people start believing that the President of the United States, rather than just fire a gun, initiates a conspiracy to have a fake picture of him shooting a gun fabricated for unknown evil reasons.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

I liked this bit from the sidebar:

The ad on that site posted:

Raising Boys Feminists Will Hate

Raising Boys Feminists Will Hate: Parent, if you have a young son and you want him to grow up to be a man, then you need to keep him away from pop culture, public school and a lot of Nancy Boy churches. If metrosexual pop culture, feminized public schools and the effeminate branches of evanjellycalism lay their sissy hands on him, you can kiss his masculinity good-bye because they will morph him into a dandy. Yeah, mom and dad, if – if – you dare to raise your boy as a classic boy in this castrated epoch, then you’ve got a task that’s more difficult than getting a drunk to hit the urinal at Chili’s. Read this bold and hard-hitting guide by Doug Giles, the politically incorrect master, on how to raise your son in a world which more and more seems to hate masculinity.

I'm really not sure what to make of that. Is this a thing now? What is effeminate evanjellycalism? Who drinks at Chili's?

moller fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 4, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

I know it probably won't make you feel any better, but know that you didn't do anything wrong.
Well, actually it does. I mean, I am fully aware of the irony that this is an echo-chamber of sorts as well. I'm not a hypocrite.

You know, the week after Obama got his long-form Birth Certificate revealed, skewered D-Trump on a spit at the correspondents' dinner while Zero Dark Thirty was getting in motion; and then announced the death of OBL and the gathering of all of the intel from his compound, my ex-friends' initial response was, "I'll believe it when I see the body. It's just too convenient." I asked him, after Hillary had her MRI, if he remembered that stance and whether he'd finally accepted that we got OBL or was it still too convenient? It didn't help one iota, but at least I realized that there had been warning signs.

It's just awful because when we were younger he was a sweet, reasonable dude and really, what's poisoned him, is Rush and Facebook. I am telling myself that the old kid I knew is gone, and all that's left is a 41 year old attention whore whom I shouldn't want in my life. But I have other people on the other side of the aisle who I can fight with all day every day and, with few exceptions, we always laugh it off at the end, because we both know we're not going to change each others' minds and it's an exercise in debate that forces me to learn what I want to talk about. You'd think it would be simple as FOX and Rush and the like make arguments with holes you could drive an oil rig through; and yet I have yet to get anywhere with any of them.

I've finally started making a point to catch Maddow's show and occasionally the polling gives me hope for the future. Meanwhile, the GOP state legislatures continue the breakneck race to destroy every advance our society has won.

This poo poo gets me down. The slight decline of FOX News is welcome, but it's not even enough for me to feel smug about.

The amazing amount of mass shootings (and the insane "false flag" accusations that come after) are what's really left me at a complete loss.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Glitterbomber posted:

Wait is the 'presidential gun they keep at Camp David' a thing or just you wondering due to how nice the gun is? I have no idea how that place works so it wouldn't be surprising if they had all the gear just there, I just never heard of it before.

Just me wondering. You'd expect Camp David to be fully equipped for all standard diplomatic recreational events.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AsInHowe posted:

Birdshot. You shoot a man in the face with buckshot and he's dead.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Please. I want this to be a thing.

http://wredlich.com/ny/2013/02/obama-fake-shotgun-photo/

quote:

After a mini-controversy about a claim from President Obama that he shoots clay pigeons at Camp David, the White House released a photo of “Obama” shooting a $2500 Browning Citori shotgun. Problem: It doesn’t look like the President’s watch. The President is generally seen with a more expensive watch prompting the company that sells it to create this website: Barack’s Watch.

And that leaves aside why the President, or his stunt double (aka Fauxbama) is shooting a fancy Japanese-made gun instead of a down-to-earth Mossberg or Remington. Or we could get into the Jorg Gray watch being made in China. But who cares?

Please please please, pick this up. I want to see precious manhours wasted on this nonstarter of a conspiracy.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Phone posted:

Please please please, pick this up. I want to see precious manhours wasted on this nonstarter of a conspiracy.

The devil is in the details. It's all in the watch you see. :smug: The truth is right there in front of us and if you don't believe it then you don't believe in truth.\

Those are such an asinine accusation. Can't a man have more than one watch? Is Obama contractually obligated to wear that special, expensive watch at all times? Is he a communazisocialist for firing a gun that isn't worthy of lowbrow, blue-collared workers?

So many good questions to ask! So many man hours for fox to waste on the subject in the near future.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And the guy he shot apologized to him.

I loved when this happened, not because I wished the old guy who got shot harm, but because having a metaphor for Republican party supporters actually happen was just pure gold. Republicans are the type of people who will ask you to apologize for inconveniencing them after they shoot you in the face. :allears:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Phone posted:

:psyduck: Jesus Christ these people are insane. Yes, Obama staged this whole thing instead of going out to a shooting range and popping off a few shots at some clay pigeons! Obama is physically incapable of picking up a shotgun, readying, aiming, and firing it at a disk made of clay being flung into the air. Just can't do it!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crasscrab posted:

:psyduck: Jesus Christ these people are insane. Yes, Obama staged this whole thing instead of going out to a shooting range and popping off a few shots at some clay pigeons! Obama is physically incapable of picking up a shotgun, readying, aiming, and firing it at a disk made of clay being flung into the air. Just can't do it!

I half wonder what it feels like to have such a need to have that "special knowledge" that everything is a conspiracy and nothing is what it seems. I'm glad I don't, of course, but it must be exhausting to read nefarious doings into every mundane thing in life.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Baquack Nobama has a body double on standby to fake photoshoots of mundane hobbies because the quran doesn't allow for a man to shoot skeet. Page 27 I saw it myself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Levantine posted:

I half wonder what it feels like to have such a need to have that "special knowledge" that everything is a conspiracy and nothing is what it seems. I'm glad I don't, of course, but it must be exhausting to read nefarious doings into every mundane thing in life.

It is everything that Obummer does that is evil and nefarious. Since he is an evil genius and also a complete idiot. It gets confusing sometimes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

It is everything that Obummer does that is evil and nefarious. Since he is an evil genius and also a complete idiot. It gets confusing sometimes.

They've really built themselves into an emotional frenzy over Obama. Rhetoric is realty and they are so upset about so many things, their view of him doesn't really make any sense anymore. He's just everything evil and bad about the world rolled into one man. The simplicity of their reasoning is really frightening. I've lost a few friends over it myself; friends that, up until recently were pretty laid back and cool people. Now I can't talk to them anymore thanks to the implicit threats of violence because I don't agree with them. If I were more like them I suppose I'd think something is in the water.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crasscrab posted:

It would literally be harder to photoshop Obama holding a gun than for Obama to hold a gun

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobkatt013 posted:

You see, on even numbered days, Obama is a Marxist, socialist mastermind. However, if it's the second Tuesday if the month, with a waning moon, and the day is even, he shows his true colors as an ineffectual, body doubling president.

It's so obvious.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Phone posted:

HAHAHAHA oh god.

Remember when I said a break action kicks like a mother? It'll stop a good percentage of watches dead. I can't say 'especially expensive watches', but yeah. My G-Shock was the only digital that would survive a hundred rounds for the longest time. You have an especially dressy watch, you don't wear that sumbitch shooting. You also don't keep an iphone in a breast pocket. Friend learned that one the hard way.

Edit: Huh. Only $2500? Might have to look into the Citori. It's a very nice design. Tasteful. I've been happy with my Miroku for years, no real reason to change, though.

(Confession: I aggressively stopped caring about the kinds of guns other people were waving about once I got one I was happy with. The greyhairs at the range have the biggest metal cocks, I just went 'not playing that game'. I know how they work, and I have everything I need for what I do.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 4, 2013

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Levantine posted:

Clearly, all of these photoshop-based conspiracies that The Story of O-bama has manufactured over the years are just designed to deaden the public's reaction to the really, truly important photoshop conspiracy that is going to break any day now. A fake birth certificate here, a fake skeet photo there... all part of a master plan to detract from the final, ultimate photoshop job. Just like boiling frogs in milk...turn the heat up a little bit at a time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Warcabbit posted:

HAHAHAHA oh god.

Remember when I said a break action kicks like a mother? It'll stop a good percentage of watches dead. I can't say 'especially expensive watches', but yeah. My G-Shock was the only digital that would survive a hundred rounds for the longest time. You have an especially dressy watch, you don't wear that sumbitch shooting. You also don't keep an iphone in a breast pocket. Friend learned that one the hard way.

Edit: Huh. Only $2500? Might have to look into the Citori. It's a very nice design. Tasteful. I've been happy with my Miroku for years, no real reason to change, though.

(Confession: I aggressively stopped caring about the kinds of guns other people were waving about once I got one I was happy with. The greyhairs at the range have the biggest metal cocks, I just went 'not playing that game'. I know how they work, and I have everything I need for what I do.)

I'm taking your gun card away because you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of all guns ever made; therefore, you're not a true Gun Enthusiast. :colbert:

Fake gun chat aside: I kinda want that Browning as well.

Good to know that info about shotguns killing watches. It's super insightful that the lunatics are off their gourd from every possible angle. That said, please Fox News... pick this up. If you Google "Obama shotgun" freep is in the top 5, but the New York Post, The Blaze, and the inquistr(???) has articles about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bobkatt013 posted:

There is a 99% chance that Dick Cheney has an island where he hunts people.
Well Google did blur out the Naval Observatory during the period Cheney lived there, so maybe he just doesn't hunt The Most Dangerous Game on an island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Phone posted:

No, you see, he's not wearing the particular watch the president has to wear at all times, in case he has to make a phone call and, uh, end the world. :smuggo:
Recoil busting up a watch was new to me, though it makes sense.