Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This is a crosspost between apps/devices, sorry but I'm not really sure where the problem lies or which thread will be better suited to help.

So a few weeks ago my (International) S3 started freezing quite regularly. The freezes either happen while I'm using the phone, or more frequently, while the screen's off. In either case the device becomes completely unresponsive (apart from the if the screen's off, the status LED still blinks so I know it's on).

Although the freezes seemed permanent and I'd generally just reboot the phone by holding the power key down for 10 seconds or whatever it is, I did actually find that if I just ignored it, 10-15 minutes later I could pull it out of my pocket and it would be unfrozen again, as if it was just an app that had locked it up for a while before crashing/getting killed. However there were no crash messages.

These freezes were happening several times a day.

I guessed this was probably a hardware issue but I decided to try a factory reset anyway. So I flattened it, didn't restore any of my old data, and for the last couple of weeks I've been re-introducing apps one by one.

The day after the factory reset, I had a couple of freezes, and I thought I was going to have to send it back, but the day after that it was fine, and then it was fine for the next week and a bit.

Then it started freezing again, but much less frequently. Maybe a couple of freezes on alternate days, roughly.

So at this point I'm still really not sure whether it's hardware or software. The most recent app I installed was GoodNews, the day before the freezes started up again, so I thought maybe it was that, but that's always been quite reliable, and the freezes haven't really occured while I've been using it.

So, a few questions:

- Do you guys reckon this sounds like hardware or software?
- Has anyone had troubles like this with an S3?
- Has anyone had trouble with GoodNews?
- Are there any monitoring apps I can use to find out if some process or app is using 100% of the CPU and hardlocking the phone? The fact that it unlocks after a while kind of suggests to me this is what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Vagrancy posted:

So Pocketcasts version 4 will finally be released later this month:

Really happy things seem to be paying off for these guys on Android, I remember when they first started bringing their apps over from IOS they were just doing it as an experiment then they went through the bullshit with Amazon and now the Android versions of their apps account make up the majority of their sales.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does Pocketcasts allow you to, say, tell it a folder and it'll list any mp3s in the folder in its podcasts list? All the podcast apps on android seem insistent that you go and fetch them through their own interface, but I manage my music and podcasts on my computer and sync them over to my phone.

I mean I could just play them through a general music player but I'd like my podcasts to have location resume and stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Does Pocketcasts allow you to, say, tell it a folder and it'll list any mp3s in the folder in its podcasts list? All the podcast apps on android seem insistent that you go and fetch them through their own interface, but I manage my music and podcasts on my computer and sync them over to my phone.

I mean I could just play them through a general music player but I'd like my podcasts to have location resume and stuff.
Dumb question but why not just allow the app to manage the podcasts and not sync them with the computer? It's not like you can sync your listening position anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Dumb question but why not just allow the app to manage the podcasts and not sync them with the computer? It's not like you can sync your listening position anyway.

I do the selecting and finding and downloading of the podcasts on the computer, and I do about half my listening there, I don't want to have to duplicate having to fetch them in an app on the phone too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I do the selecting and finding and downloading of the podcasts on the computer, and I do about half my listening there, I don't want to have to duplicate having to fetch them in an app on the phone too.
This is why I use GoodNews for podcasts as it syncs with Google Reader. Wherever I listen to it, the playlist is updated. Of course Reader doesn't download anything so for podcasts I want to archive I download in iTunes and save them that way. I don't have any experience with Pocketcasts, but I'd imagine that it has a similar feature to only download the podcasts on wifi so it seems like either transferring the file by hand to the device or just letting the app do it is six of one, half dozen of the other.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

MikeJF posted:

Does it own thing, so won't work with your system.

FWIW they've hinted at a web client on Twitter which would also fit your use case, but since they didn't publicly announce it on the blog post there's no way of knowing if it'll be released wirh the updated Android app to accompany the new sync system or if its due further down the line.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What is a good, preferably free, keyboard app? I want something simple, clean, and with the ability to know what key I meant to press. A non-obnoxious auto correct would be nice too. I've been trying to use adaptxt and it seems ok except 1) haveing every alt symbol on each key really ruins the clean look 2) the auto correct can be a little over zealous at times and 3) for some retarded reason, the keyboard never works with the web browser sideways.

VV Honestly, just why do you think I am asking this question??

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 1, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The stock android keyboard?

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
I don't know whether to post in this thread, the phone thread, or the Sprint thread, but: my (stock) dialer and contacts apps disappeared from my phone. I must have not locked my phone or something, because while in my pocket I texted someone keyboard gibberish, dialed my mom, and then, when I looked at my phone, lost the phone and contacts icons. Alright, I thought, I just have to re-place the app shortcuts: no dice, they are nowhere to be found. I can receive calls, and make calls out through messaging if I have a text with someone, but trying to get to contacts either doesn't do anything or causes the app to crash.

Stock Evo 3D. Any ideas? Can I just sideload the correct dialer and contacts apps or something?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

gaan kak posted:

I don't know whether to post in this thread, the phone thread, or the Sprint thread, but: my (stock) dialer and contacts apps disappeared from my phone. I must have not locked my phone or something, because while in my pocket I texted someone keyboard gibberish, dialed my mom, and then, when I looked at my phone, lost the phone and contacts icons. Alright, I thought, I just have to re-place the app shortcuts: no dice, they are nowhere to be found. I can receive calls, and make calls out through messaging if I have a text with someone, but trying to get to contacts either doesn't do anything or causes the app to crash.

Stock Evo 3D. Any ideas? Can I just sideload the correct dialer and contacts apps or something?

There's nothing in your app drawer called Phone?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Vagrancy posted:

Does it own thing, so won't work with your system.

FWIW they've hinted at a web client on Twitter which would also fit your use case, but since they didn't publicly announce it on the blog post there's no way of knowing if it'll be released wirh the updated Android app to accompany the new sync system or if its due further down the line.

God I hope they add this. Then thing I want more than anything else is being able to listen to podcasts at home or work on my computer but have my subscriptions and unplayed episodes sync back to my phone as well for when I'm on a suggest or plane. Google Listen did this somewhat before they killed it and I really miss that feature.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There's nothing in your app drawer called Phone?

That's what it should be called (and is on my EVO 3D). Maybe the app has been disabled? Go into System Settings->Apps->All and look for Phone all the way at the bottom.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST

Cruseydr posted:

That's what it should be called (and is on my EVO 3D). Maybe the app has been disabled? Go into System Settings->Apps->All and look for Phone all the way at the bottom.

Yea, Phone is there, but there's nothing in my app drawer and I can't figure out a way to do anything productive through settings->apps->all

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

MikeJF posted:

I want something similar, sometimes I download paid podcasts or like to use language lessons in my podcast app for the location resume stuff too.

I emailed the devs a while ago asking if this was somehow possible and they said they had planned to add the ability to manually add podcasts in the next release.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

So Pocketcasts version 4 will finally be released later this month:

Source

The push server already made Pocketcasts the best standalone podcast app, so now its dropping the clunky iOS-Android frankenstein UI there'll be little reason to use anything else. It'll probably maintain the same "Listen subscriptions" import the current version already has, so no need to worry about that if it affects you. As a heads up they've said multiple times that the price is going up once the update is released, so if it looks like something you'd use buy it now if you haven't already.

Out of curiosity if it's just access you need what are you finding deficient with the stock Jelly bean Gallery app? When you have sync enabled (they started calling it "Google Photos" at some point) it caches Albums pretty aggressively, and any album you need absolute access to you can pin via "Make available offline".

I eventually stopped using GoodNews for podcasts and went back to Pocketcasts, so I'm happy about this. (Still use GoodNews for reading, though).

I don't use the Gallery app because Google doesn't make stuff for families very easy. I got all kinds of poo poo from image macros to screenshots to MS Paint masterpieces in my Web Albums account. My wife has lots of poo poo I don't care about in hers, and we have a third account that has our family photos in it. I don't believe Gallery is set up for multiple accounts. This would have been useful info to include in my original post on the matter.

I did however end up purchasing PicFolio which is an awesome front-end to Web Albums.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that The Score released A Holo design. Looks amazing now.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Forbidden Kiss posted:

My Nexus 4 is in the mail and the only iOS app I'm going to miss is TweetBot. Is there an agreed upon 'best' twitter client for Android is really powerful and also a pleasure to use? I've done some searching and haven't really found a consensus pick yet.

I've been using twicca for a while, and I like it so far.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
I have a weird problem with my Samsung g 2. I am using the stock music player and any albums I put on my phone which are ripped from CD seem to show up on the phone in alphabetical order rather than in the order the tracks are meant to play in.

Why Is this happening? Is there a better music player I can use that would fix this or is just generally better?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Noticeable Dickvein posted:

I have a weird problem with my Samsung g 2. I am using the stock music player and any albums I put on my phone which are ripped from CD seem to show up on the phone in alphabetical order rather than in the order the tracks are meant to play in.

Why Is this happening? Is there a better music player I can use that would fix this or is just generally better?
Are the tags right? Don't the filenames begin 01-, 02-?

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

LastInLine posted:

Are the tags right? Don't the filenames begin 01-, 02-?

They do. Just checked. I am ripping them to PC with win amp and just connecting the phone via USB cable and dragging the album folder over. It only happens on ripped albums, downloaded stuff works fine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I know some of were asking about a Twitter app that could compete with TweetBot. Well I'm not 100% sure it might compare but Carbon for Twitter (finally!) came out. I think it was supposed to come out last year sometime but who cares, it's out now so go enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL9H2cstXbU

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotsandlines.carbon

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
What's the best app to prevent drunk texting?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They do. Just checked. I am ripping them to PC with win amp and just connecting the phone via USB cable and dragging the album folder over. It only happens on ripped albums, downloaded stuff works fine.

I don't know about the stock player specifically, but check your tags are exact - track numbers for each song, matching disc numbers, matching artists, matching album artists, matching years... that kind of thing. I know Play Music is really picky about this stuff, if some things don't match it will treat songs as from different albums

Sair
May 11, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I know some of were asking about a Twitter app that could compete with TweetBot. Well I'm not 100% sure it might compare but Carbon for Twitter (finally!) came out. I think it was supposed to come out last year sometime but who cares, it's out now so go enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL9H2cstXbU

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotsandlines.carbon

And it refuses to run on a tablet. That makes sense.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Are there any music players that can read the proprietary form that Play Music downloads files onto a phone's storage as?

I'm using Play Music as my music player, but according to Zombies Run it doesn't share playlists with other programs. It's recommended to download the stock music player or WinAmp as well as the relevant music files in a more traditional way that Play Music does, but if there's some app that can just read the Play Music files and kick out a playlist that Zombies Run can see, it'd be fantastic.

Any ideas?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

The highlighted part is your problem. Assuming your phone has similar software to my UK SGS2, the stock music player is an absolute turd. Don't be lulled into thinking it's part of the standard Android suite - it isn't, it's some terrible piece of poo poo one hapless Samsung engineer threw together in his lunch break.

Go get PowerAmp. Yes it costs Real Money but for what you get it's an absolute bargain and you won't regret it. I certainly didn't.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

What's the best app to prevent drunk texting?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.deanhuff.companion

amenenema posted:

Are there any music players that can read the proprietary form that Play Music downloads files onto a phone's storage as?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, there isn't a Google Music API yet (maybe ever because Google ).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sair posted:

And it refuses to run on a tablet. That makes sense.

The dev is a little bit of a jerk on that actually. I don't know if devs have the option to restrict phones or whatever but I've heard with Carbon you can install it on a tablet but it won't run when you click it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Tunga posted:

No, there isn't a Google Music API yet (maybe ever because Google ).

In the same :argh: Google :argh: vein, I'm seriously regretting the fact that I started using Google Tasks. It's not the lack of an app, because the 3rd party Tasks app is very good. It's the absolutely asinine process you have to go through to delete a completed task. The process starts sane enough:
  • Create task
  • Mark task as completed
  • Option appears to clear completed tasks from the list, which most people (myself included) will probably use

So you'd think that the act of clearing completed tasks in itself might delete them? No, it doesn't. They're now in a special secret hidden area of the task list. Here's how the process continues:
  • Select "view completed tasks"
  • For each task you want to delete, go into that task and delete it
  • Did I mention that there's no way to bulk select tasks in the completed tasks view? 100 completed tasks? Great, have fun individually deleting each one of them!

Still, it could be worse. That process is using the Tasks app I mentioned before, which has done its best to work around the limitations of the Google Tasks system. If you want to delete completed tasks from your browser then you have to go through the same process but also mark the tasks as incomplete again before it will let you delete them.

:psyduck:

I know Google has a very scattergun approach to product development, but how this ever seemed like a logical way for the system to be set up is beyond me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you're complaining about that, calendar needs a mention. Need to remove every event in a specific period? One by one. Whether it's one day, 5 events or two weeks of your full work calendar, 100-odd events, it's one by one. The workaround is to export, batch delete in another program, import back. Thanks Google, no need to make this pivotal product any good, don't worry.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

In the same :argh: Google :argh: vein, I'm seriously regretting the fact that I started using Google Tasks. It's not the lack of an app, because the 3rd party Tasks app is very good. It's the absolutely asinine process you have to go through to delete a completed task. The process starts sane enough:
  • Create task
  • Mark task as completed
  • Option appears to clear completed tasks from the list, which most people (myself included) will probably use

So you'd think that the act of clearing completed tasks in itself might delete them? No, it doesn't. They're now in a special secret hidden area of the task list. Here's how the process continues:
  • Select "view completed tasks"
  • For each task you want to delete, go into that task and delete it
  • Did I mention that there's no way to bulk select tasks in the completed tasks view? 100 completed tasks? Great, have fun individually deleting each one of them!

Still, it could be worse. That process is using the Tasks app I mentioned before, which has done its best to work around the limitations of the Google Tasks system. If you want to delete completed tasks from your browser then you have to go through the same process but also mark the tasks as incomplete again before it will let you delete them.
Honestly that's the reason I use Google Tasks despite all its shortcomings. I add a bill as a Task when I get it in GMail and cross it off and clear completed Tasks when I pay it. If I ever have to check to verify a bill came in and was paid it's there. I just wish Google would buy some company with experience in sifting through, categorizing, and retrieving data so they could use the technology in adding a feature to search through those completed Tasks for when it was checked off, when it was created, other Tasks like it, etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Colonel Sanders posted:

What is a good, preferably free, keyboard app? I want something simple, clean, and with the ability to know what key I meant to press. A non-obnoxious auto correct would be nice too. I've been trying to use adaptxt and it seems ok except 1) haveing every alt symbol on each key really ruins the clean look 2) the auto correct can be a little over zealous at times and 3) for some retarded reason, the keyboard never works with the web browser sideways.

VV Honestly, just why do you think I am asking this question??

Because you didnt read the thread at all?

Keyboards have been covered every 5 pages.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...mVsbHkuZnJlZSJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gokeyboard&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qYi5nb2tleWJvYXJkIl0.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GhvZC5sYXRpbiJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2tleWJvYXJkIl0.

Theres literally 900 of them. Pick one, try it out. Its all about personal taste.

Swiftkey gets a mention because its good, just not free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...3dpZnRrZXkiXQ..

The OP really should have a basic list of keyboards at this point.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the problem. In Tasks you just long press a task to enter multi-select, tap whichever others you want, and hit Delete. Not sure how it could be any easier.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rolleyes posted:

Why do you need to delete the cleared, completed tasks? You can't see them unless you go into that section, which I honestly forgot existed.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Skeezy posted:

The dev is a little bit of a jerk on that actually. I don't know if devs have the option to restrict phones or whatever but I've heard with Carbon you can install it on a tablet but it won't run when you click it.

That's exactly what it did. I tried to open it, a little popup said "nope", and it closed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yep. Pretty good client on the phone, but why not just disallow tablets from installing instead of...that? I don't understand.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Am I missing something with Carbon for Twitter? It seems pretty featureless and awkward to use.. I much prefer Falcon or Plume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yep. Pretty good client on the phone, but why not just disallow tablets from installing instead of...that? I don't understand.

Easier to get into the Top app pages,maybe?

• Locked thread