Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Darchangel posted:

Ah. That'll do it then.
I'm hoping my knees hold out another 20 years or so. I'd hate to give up all my manuals, and automatic RX-7s are just tragic.

There are definitely some cars I wouldn't buy in automatic form. I briefly flirted with the idea of buying a BRZ and I told her that if I did get it that it would be in manual form, no ifs ands or butts, and that she would have to deal with it if she ever wanted to drive it. She completely agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002
Traded in my 2007 GTI for this:

2013 Ford Focus ST. Sucks that its been below 32 F and on/off snow showers the past couple of days...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

taketheshot posted:

2013 Ford Focus ST. Sucks that its been below 32 F and on/off snow showers the past couple of days...

I hate you so much.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

taketheshot posted:

Is that off of Benfield Blvd in Glen Burnie? I swear I made a delivery to that exact same cul-de-sac today. :tinfoil:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Amazing EJ. Does it have its original engine?

My mother drove an EJ wagon when I was born and her left leg was noticeably larger due to the clutch. Then my father had the strangest midlife crisis and bought an EH wreck and restored it until it won 'Best Classic Holden' two years running locally. Why is this a strange mid-life crisis? Because like me my father hasn't got a mechanically bone in his body and ended up basically paying for his mechanics retirement.

He sold it a few years ago to buy something easier to drive(Fiat 500 twinair which I will be grabbing some sound from once my gopro arrives) but he loved that car.

Here is my dad's '63 EH Holden Special (it's got a red 186 in it though):

edit: while look at these images I had vivid flashbacks of walking on that bonnet as a ten year old. It didn't bend or bow.

tobu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 3, 2013

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

taketheshot posted:

Those wheels are blowing my mind.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

taketheshot posted:

I want to touch it with my no-no's.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Traded in my 2010 Honda Fit for this:

2013 red Ford Focus ST. So much for no car payments :v:

edit- oh HELLO brand new ST buddy. What trim level? I got base, only thing the dealer had and I don't need no fancy do dads I just need straight up retarded amounts of torque oh my god

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Elmnt80 posted:

I've done some work to it to try to increase performance without tanking my fuel economy which includes a new flowmaster super 44 muffler and I just installed a Spectre cold air intake this weekend. 17 mpg in a full sized truck with a 5.3L V8 isn't too bad imo. And the awesome exhaust note isn't a bad bonus either.

I'm running out of stuff to tinker with on it that won't drop my fuel economy though.

Another SUV with a droney exhaust that won't do poo poo for your economy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Trans Ferdinand posted:

As long as you don't lift it to the skies or put MAD TYTE DUBZ on it, you'll find no hate here.

Oh god no. There is nothing worse looking on a truck than some super lifted bro-truck or being blinged to all hell.

DJ Commie posted:

Another SUV with a droney exhaust that won't do poo poo for your economy.

Actually, mine went up from barely 15mpg during daily driving to a bit over 17. And I'd probably be pushing 18 if I could ever find a replacement for the bed cover piece that slid out of my truck and went boom. While probably not that common, I'm pleased with the end result.

EDIT: Though given the chance, I'd love to drive a dodge magnum wagon. Assuming it can tow my boat which it was advertised as being able to do, I'd be happy as hell to drive it around.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 3, 2013

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

taketheshot posted:

Bob A Feet posted:

Traded in my 2010 Honda Fit for this:

2013 red Ford Focus ST. So much for no car payments :v:

edit- oh HELLO brand new ST buddy. What trim level? I got base, only thing the dealer had and I don't need no fancy do dads I just need straight up retarded amounts of torque oh my god

I saw one of these parked the other day and I must say, it is a fantastic looking car (I love the wheels and the neat center exhaust). Ford has really stepped their game up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Elmnt80 posted:

Actually, mine went up from barely 15mpg during daily driving to a bit over 17. And I'd probably be pushing 18 if I could ever find a replacement for the bed cover piece that slid out of my truck and went boom. While probably not that common, I'm pleased with the end result.

Just like the 'butt dyno', there is a function of noise control inherent in how people unconsciously drive that can affect fuel economy. I had a hugely loud exhaust on my NX2000 once, and my fuel economy only changed because I couldn't accelerate hard without turning heads, even with a race-quality 2.5" mandrel bend axleback, my power didn't go up, my fear of accelerating hard certainly did.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

I guess he needed to replace the tires before winter after all.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

I guess he needed to replace the tires before winter after all.

You two need to stay away from cars. Get a bus pass.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

You two need to stay away from cars. Get a bus pass.

Hey, I only ever get hit by other people.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

tobu posted:

Amazing EJ. Does it have its original engine?

My mother drove an EJ wagon when I was born and her left leg was noticeably larger due to the clutch. Then my father had the strangest midlife crisis and bought an EH wreck and restored it until it won 'Best Classic Holden' two years running locally. Why is this a strange mid-life crisis? Because like me my father hasn't got a mechanically bone in his body and ended up basically paying for his mechanics retirement.

He sold it a few years ago to buy something easier to drive(Fiat 500 twinair which I will be grabbing some sound from once my gopro arrives) but he loved that car.

Here is my dad's '63 EH Holden Special (it's got a red 186 in it though):

edit: while look at these images I had vivid flashbacks of walking on that bonnet as a ten year old. It didn't bend or bow.

Thanks. It's got a red 149 and a floor shifted toyota four speed in it now, along with a HR disc brake front end.

Your old man's car is a beauty. I've always thought they looked best in that turquoise colour. With the spats and visor it reminds me of a cortina down here that I always lust after (unfortunately not mine):

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Offtopic, but is there an actual term for that lip that extends over the top of the windshield?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's usually called a visor or external visor, to differentiate it from normal internal sun visors.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's usually called a visor or external visor, to differentiate it from normal internal sun visors.

Is it the same thing you'd see on rally cars? Thanks for the info.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mat_Drinks posted:

Babby's first picture:

At home, nice and safe:

The car was delivered midday today, I picked it up this afternoon. I asked that they keep the plastic on so that I can be the first to wash it.

It's not the second coming of Jesus in car form, but it's pretty darn good if you ask me. I will let you all know if the water dribbling off of it tomorrow turns into wine.
Can someone tell me what kind of subaru this is? I have never seen this model and it looks incredible.

and my current:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Limastock posted:

Can someone tell me what kind of subaru this is? I have never seen this model and it looks incredible.

and my current:

It's the new Subaru BRZ.

See http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3446803

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bovril Delight posted:

Is it the same thing you'd see on rally cars? Thanks for the info.

Are you talking about the roof air scoops like this?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

kimbo305 posted:

Because if you are... nope nothing like them. They are basically just to stop the harsh Aussie sun melting you to some green vinyl. Ours used to hum so loudly at above 35 mph you couldn't hear the cars single speaker radio. The radio was called the air-chief and it actually was removable from the dash so you could take it on picnics.

sadnessboner posted:

Thanks. It's got a red 149 and a floor shifted toyota four speed in it now, along with a HR disc brake front end.

Your old man's car is a beauty. I've always thought they looked best in that turquoise colour. With the spats and visor it reminds me of a cortina down here that I always lust after (unfortunately not mine):

Very smooth Cortina.

Meanwhile, Those disc brakes must be a god-send - Our car barely stopped on the drums but even when it did it was enough to make you slide off the slippery vinyl because it had no seat belts just some straps from the roof that you wrapped around your wrist.

And you have four toyota gears? luxury! We had three on the tree with no synchro on two and three.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

If you're a Grand Danois you need roof air scoops for driving.

Don't worry, I won't report you for racism.

Actually the wheels, the wing and the front plate mount are way worse than the Grand Danois breathing system.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

tobu posted:

Because if you are... nope nothing like them. They are basically just to stop the harsh Aussie sun melting you to some green vinyl. Ours used to hum so loudly at above 35 mph you couldn't hear the cars single speaker radio. The radio was called the air-chief and it actually was removable from the dash so you could take it on picnics.

Very smooth Cortina.

Meanwhile, Those disc brakes must be a god-send - Our car barely stopped on the drums but even when it did it was enough to make you slide off the slippery vinyl because it had no seat belts just some straps from the roof that you wrapped around your wrist.

And you have four toyota gears? luxury! We had three on the tree with no synchro on two and three.

with all the changes it drives with the dynamic refinement of a turn of the 80s Holden :allears: It certainly isn't a modern car, but it's plenty usable as a daily drive. I've got lap sash seatbelts, but I still end up sliding up and down the bench when cornering.

I'm jealous of the picnic radio. My hope to replace the ugly modern cd player in mine with one was dashed when I realised how much they go for on ebay.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I guess a rally car was a poor example, I was thinking a few had them but I'm not having any luck. The roof scoop is different.

This is what I was thinking of, but I guess it is just called a sunvisor, or visor, or external (sun)visor. Forgive the god awful car it is attached to.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

I guess a rally car was a poor example, I was thinking a few had them but I'm not having any luck. The roof scoop is different.

This is what I was thinking of, but I guess it is just called a sunvisor, or visor, or external (sun)visor. Forgive the god awful car it is attached to.

That's it. What tobu said. It's to aid in preventing incineration of the occupants.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Our non-explody vehicle.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
http://youtu.be/C_GWQrfQhGk

http://youtu.be/tQrvor36umE

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 4, 2013

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Finally bought myself a practical daily driver and nearly tripled my highway mileage!

Dart Rallye, 1.4T/6spd manual with matching interior inserts. The more time I spend with it, the more impressed I am, though I'm still acclimating myself to these newfangled electronic driver inputs. Even in mid-level trim, the interior is incredibly impressive with ride/NVH to match. Get it above ~2800RPM and it's entertaining too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

OneOverZero posted:

Finally bought myself a practical daily driver and nearly tripled my highway mileage!

Dart Rallye, 1.4T/6spd manual with matching interior inserts. The more time I spend with it, the more impressed I am, though I'm still acclimating myself to these newfangled electronic driver inputs. Even in mid-level trim, the interior is incredibly impressive with ride/NVH to match. Get it above ~2800RPM and it's entertaining too.

Yup, that's my exact car. Had it 2 months now and I'm still in love with how it looks and drives (the mpg doesn't hurt either.)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rolo posted:

Yup, that's my exact car. Had it 2 months now and I'm still in love with how it looks and drives (the mpg doesn't hurt either.)

Since it uses the same 1.4 litre turbo from the Abarth, does it sound the same as well? Or is the exhaust tuned completely differently for the Dart?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't get the engine options on the Dart.

I mean yeah, the base model is a 2.0L n/a engine, that's all good and fine. The next level up, the 1.4L turbo multiair makes the exact same HP, but about 50nm more torque. Again, that's all good and fine.

But then you have the GT version, which trades it all for a 2.4L n/a, which admittedly has an additional 24hp, but less torque. Said torque also requires you to rev much higher. Isn't it supposed to be the biggest baddest Dart of them all? It seems a bit lame to me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
All you goons with Darts are making me jealous. :smith:

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

GramCracker posted:

Since it uses the same 1.4 litre turbo from the Abarth, does it sound the same as well? Or is the exhaust tuned completely differently for the Dart?
I haven't driven an Abarth for comparison, but the 1.4L Dart definitely has a pronounced exhaust note. Probably not something that someone cross-shopping Corollas would appreciate, but it's welcome.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't get the engine options on the Dart.

I mean yeah, the base model is a 2.0L n/a engine, that's all good and fine. The next level up, the 1.4L turbo multiair makes the exact same HP, but about 50nm more torque. Again, that's all good and fine.

But then you have the GT version, which trades it all for a 2.4L n/a, which admittedly has an additional 24hp, but less torque. Said torque also requires you to rev much higher. Isn't it supposed to be the biggest baddest Dart of them all? It seems a bit lame to me.
Pure speculation on my part, but I look at the NA 2.4L as a practical stepping stone to replacing the 2.0, the two of which share architecture. The big step with the 2.4L is MultiAir II - although essentially just a stroked 2.0L, the EPA numbers may be similar to the standard mill if only due to improved control. Once production ramps up and per-vehicle MultiAir costs drop, maybe it'll replace the 2.0 altogther. It'd also be a much more natural fit for a turbo match down the road on an R/T model.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Sir Cornelius posted:

Actually the wheels, the wing and the front plate mount are way worse than the Grand Danois breathing system.

It's a 22B, pretty sure the wheels and wing are stock.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007

Saab is clean, buick gives no fucks.

Edit - this loving tablet gives no fucks when it comes to resizing pictures, i apologize for table break.

radikewlism fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 6, 2013

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Want to drive that Buick...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

OneOverZero posted:

How do you find it drives? I've been really, really looking at that alot trying to decide if I could enjoy driving it enough that I'd be happy living with it and driving my truck just when I need to haul stuff or tow my boat, etc. The mopar version really caught my eye as looking pretty good and it sounds like it has a pretty nice interior. Also, What kinda leg room do you have in the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Really like the look of the Dart, looks better than its Alfa cousin that we get in the UK - I can't stand the vast expanse between grill and headlight they have.